PDA

View Full Version : homebrew deity and things tied with it (3.5) [peach]

Frozenheart
2010-05-15, 03:28 PM
A few designer notes: this was a deity for a very mellow "everyday" campaign, involving high role play factor. Although the campaign never took off (much to my dismay:smallannoyed:), I kept some of the stuff for future reference (at least the stuff i liked).
I'm considering adding the trickery domain if only for the purpose of making her on par with the rest of the pathfinder deities (as it's my next project). Any thoughts?

"
Sakura the generous trader
Greater Deity (Neutral Good)
Sakura worshipers know where there hearts lay - others. As the god of selflessness, she pleads all to give there all to help others. Although she is seen ruthless, or even hypocritical sometimes in her business with others, those who know her know that anything she earns goes to those who really need it.
Portfolio: Abundance, Good, Wealth, Merchants, Life, Luck, business.
Domains: Luck, Good, Healing, Nobility.
Cleric Training: All of Sakura's clerics-to-be are taught the inner workings of the local economy and how to help those in need. As they grow up, trainees are taught how to succeed on a wider scale and also the secrets of approaching those with power and money but are more reluctant to help.
Quests: Quests on behalf of Sakura are rare, if they happen at all. Instead, her worshipers focus on every day life - a little extra copper here and there is more then welcome, and donations, weather to temples of other deities, or directly to the poor are considered the pinnacle of Sakura's preaching.
Prayers: Prayers to Sakura consist of flipping a coin and a five minute thank you for all her grace and random things in the individual's life. Any coin so flipped is treated as under Sakura's ownership, and is donated in the nearest time possible.
Temples: Temples for Sakura are businesses first, places of worship second. They always provide a service of some kind, above and beyond that of normal temples. In most all of Sakura's "businesses" there is at least one, if not a whole garden, of cherry trees where the temples sometimes host a bazaar of sorts on there territory and in bigger temples, these trees are in full bloom all year long.
Rites: Traditions and ceremonies for Sakura are relatively free-form and change from city to city, the only true "tradition" her religion offers is the active trading and bargaining with those who have, for the benefit of those who don't.
Heralds and Allies: Sakura never sends heralds; Should she wish to, her choice would be a Silver dragon disguised as a humanoid. Her allies are hound archons, leonal guardinals, planetars and silver dragons.

Symbol: Sakura's symbol is a blossoming cherry tree over a silver background.
Favored weapon: Composite longbow.
---------"

I've got PrC that I'm finalizing and a couple of other connected stuff coming up. So any thoughts and criticism is welcome.

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-05-16, 07:54 AM
This looks straightforwardly wholesome and pleasant - exactly what a normal, good aspiring culture would want in a deity.

One thing, however: the benevolent trader aspect might need a little more authority.
I think it would be good to add in that the Priests of Sakura are charged with watching over the commerce of their flock, to make sure none are harmed by unscrupulous practices.
I don't want to get into economic politics, but as we've seen in the recent recession, unchecked capitalism can lead to hardship for those at the bottom of the heap.
A good god of trade ought to make sure that doesn't happen. Part of the responsibility of the priesthood could then be a kind of auditing, checking the guilds for social responsibility and all that.

Frozenheart
2010-05-17, 11:57 AM
This looks straightforwardly wholesome and pleasant - exactly what a normal, good aspiring culture would want in a deity.

One thing, however: the benevolent trader aspect might need a little more authority.
I think it would be good to add in that the Priests of Sakura are charged with watching over the commerce of their flock, to make sure none are harmed by unscrupulous practices.
I don't want to get into economic politics, but as we've seen in the recent recession, unchecked capitalism can lead to hardship for those at the bottom of the heap.
A good god of trade ought to make sure that doesn't happen. Part of the responsibility of the priesthood could then be a kind of auditing, checking the guilds for social responsibility and all that.

i'm in the middle of making a PrC that gives an authority-like presence to her worshipers, but my concept behind it was rather different. I'll keep your comment in mind.