PDA

View Full Version : On the Frontier (DnD 3.5, Alpha Thread)

Klyth Manyclaw
2010-05-15, 09:48 PM
The sounds of merchants, townsfolk, and village life rise up over a relatively small, and unassuming town. Stone buildings with thatched roofs sit amongst green, springy grass. From within them, warm light issues out from glass-less windows, mere frames with shutters to either side to keep out the cold in harsh, winter months. It's pleasant out, spring-time in a frontier town where the townsfolk happily eke out a living through some form of trade.

The road you all stand on curves gently away, a wide, dirt path with treads dug deep where merchant carriages and horse-drawn wagons pass through. Behind you, visible beyond what, from your angle, appears to be a twenty-foot wide piece of wood on two thick, sturdy legs, can be seen a cobble-stone courtyard with two buildings fully visible, one to each side, and another of the thatch-roofed, two story shops partially obscured by the board. Before you, a far grander piece of architecture greets you. Two stories high, with neatly placed, granite bricks spaced perfectly along its sides, the Bounty Reclamation Office stands proud. Kept spotless, and with a large, metal sign with the aforementioned name and the stamp of Armaelon engraved upon it standing erect outside the tall, double-doors of thick wood, this building seems designed to give off an aura of respect, and of authority.

Before this building stands your group, a small gaggle of prospective adventurers. In the center, standing tall, clad in a shining breastplate and with a hand-and-a-half sword strapped to his back, Ramik Ford looks up at the building. His entire body ripples with muscle as he adjusts to a more comfortable stance, his hair blowing gently in a cool breeze wafting down from the all-too-visible Grey Mountains to the south. From his waist, strapped to his belt, a short blade hangs in a carefully crafted scabbard, ready to be drawn at the slightest hint of close combat by this man so trained in the art of the sword.

Beside him, a woman stands, her body clothed in thick leather dotted with tiny, metallic glints; Metal studs worked in to the metal to defend against assault. Her weapon of choice, so visible upon her person, is a mighty, two-handed axe, more than large enough to deal with most foes. Her entire aura radiates with strength, with speed, and with power. Along her back, within a large quiver, ten razor-edged spear-points protrude, each of them balanced perfectly for throwing. The javelins shift slowly within their casing. Elora Bearclaw stands proud amongst her new companions, ready to prove herself.

To her side, and quite a ways below her, Joval Bitterleaf stands clad in thick, leather armor, small rock studs dotting it in parallel to the armor of the barbarian warrior. In his hands, held like a walking stick, a quarterstaff is gripped loosely. One of the two 'little people' of the group, this gnome is dwarfed by his muscle-bound human companions, but the serious determination in his eyes would keep any man from daring to talk down to him for his size. His eyes turn to the building which looks big even to his taller companions, a monster to him, but only the first of the many challenges that await him.

And far to the opposite side of the group, across both Barbarian and Warrior, standing with her blue eyes turned farther up than any other member of the group has to, a small, female halfling with blonde highlights accentuating her hair and strange blue eyes glinting in the Daeglor light stands outfitted in all manner of weapons, each and every one in her hands the bane of this town's goblinoid threat. From a small strap of leather and a sack of metal balls and a simple walking stick, to a highly balanced set of throwing axes with glinting blades, this halfling woman's arsenal is both impressive and deadly. More than her weaponry, however, is the halfling determination to prove her worth, so ingrained in to the small people's society.Fergie looks up at the building with her feet planted firmly on the dirty, hard-packed road. Standing there, among three allies all higher above the ground than her, she still manages to make a lasting impression, head held high and striking hair and eyes drawing the eye away from the other three, though impressive they are.

All of these people have drawn together, perhaps by chance, perhaps by fate, under their own motives, under their own power. Each has their reasons for being here, from glory to revenge, but all of them come together now to start their careers by ridding this town of their monstrous problems, one head at a time. Their first challenge awaits them; Registration within the Bounty Reclamations Office. Without it, they cannot claim their rewards, and with it, they gain access to numerous benefits of the town, not the least of which is the use of the shops.

Behind them are their old lives. Through those doors, adventure awaits.

--------------------------------------
This is the IC thread for the 'On the Frontier' DnD 3.5 campaign, run by yours truly. This particular thread is the first, 'Alpha' version, for the first of the two teams playing the campaign. All people who's characters are listed above, aka Team Alpha, feel free to begin posting. Due to one player not having their character sheet completely completed yet, Team Omega's thread will be delayed until such time as he does. Let's begin, shall we? :smallbiggrin:

Illven
2010-05-15, 09:56 PM
Elora should I talk to the officals, or do you think they will listen to you better, they may look down upon me for Fang.. He gives the dog a hug as he looks up to Elora slightly nervous

Imbasel
2010-05-15, 10:08 PM
Ramik turns towards Joval and says in a slightly bemused voice " That, may indeed be a wise choice friend. These people, no my people respect strength. After, being terrified of goblin raiders for so long, they may misjudge you. They mean no disrespect, but most here are common folk who know, little else. Elora, is easily the strongest so, I would advise her being the party "face" as it were."

Illven
2010-05-15, 10:13 PM
Then do you suggest yourself points to the halfing. Or should Fergie do it

Imbasel
2010-05-15, 10:25 PM
Ramik raises his eyebrows and says " Well, I've lived in the town for all my life. So, I might know somebody inside, to help move things along faster. However, I'm not the best talker, but I'll do it if nobody else minds me doing so.

Illven
2010-05-15, 10:29 PM
Make sure you ask for goblins specifically. Me and Fang want revenge

Imbasel
2010-05-15, 10:38 PM
Ramik nods at the small gnome next to him and says " Aye, I want revenge too. Those damm goblins killed my parents, and burnt my house to ashes. I want to come back to town with 30 goblin heads strapped to my back."

Illven
2010-05-15, 10:41 PM
And why stop at thirty, why not come back with all the heads we can carry. More loot and revenge that way win-win Stroking Fang as he twiddles his quarterstaff

Imbasel
2010-05-15, 10:53 PM
Ramik gives a deep throaty chuckle and clasps his hand on Joval's shoulder. He says with a glint of approval in his eyes " I like the way you think. Something tells me we are going to get along just fine."

Illven
2010-05-15, 10:55 PM
As long as you don't harm Fang of course. He holds Fang closely

Imbasel
2010-05-15, 11:00 PM
Of course I won't hurt Fang, Fang looks like a great dog. I used to have a dog when I was a kid. I remember running around in the fields with her chasing after deer.

Illven
2010-05-15, 11:01 PM
Good, and maybe a some later point you can tell me more about her

Imbasel
2010-05-15, 11:04 PM
Sure, I would love to talk about Riley sometime. Anyway, lets get back on base to the questing for goblins.

OOC: I'm going to stop posting until somebody else posts since we can only trade back and forth like this so many times.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-15, 11:09 PM
Elora steps forth, and shrugs at the suggestion that she serve as the representative.

Never was one for negotiation; 'dem civilized folk, never could quite get the hang of deir habits. Reckon I'll feel much better once we're in the open field or forest, as the case may be. If as a group we wish to collect 'dem bounties, then as a group we should make our first step.

She ties up her dog, a large mangy crossbreed, to a nearby post.

Tyrone, stay!

Illven
2010-05-15, 11:16 PM
Don't worry Fang you won't be tied up. Pulling Fang close

Imbasel
2010-05-15, 11:17 PM
Ramik nods at Elora and says You make sense. We might all as well represent ourselves as a group. Who knows, maybe we get a group discount for the paperwork?

Illven
2010-05-15, 11:24 PM
Does any one have any idea how much the paperwork costs anyway, I only have 5 gp

Imbasel
2010-05-15, 11:26 PM
Ramik shakes his head and says " No clue how much it costs. I can give you some gold if it turns out to be more then 5 gp.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-15, 11:28 PM
Elora is jaw-dropped. We have to ... pay to kill monsters for them? Wow, civilized folk are strange. I only have 5 gp as well.

Imbasel
2010-05-15, 11:31 PM
I could be wrong of course. Perhaps, it won't cost anything to register. I doubt it though as I'm sure there will be a processing fee. Also, maybe they do it to keep track of who is killing in what area and so on.

Illven
2010-05-15, 11:34 PM
Well thank you Ramik and of course I will pay you back should it come to that, and yes Elora appartently we need to spend money to get revenge

Bonecrusher Doc
2010-05-16, 09:31 AM
Fergie stands up from where she was squatting, adjusting the laces in her knee-high boots, and surreptitiously checking that her boot-knife was well secured.

"I have a few coins. Perhaps we can each contribute 5 gold toward a party fund for healing potions and other supplies for the good of the group. We may need to do some shopping once we have decided exactly what we will be hunting and where. Though I am as eager to kill goblins as anyone! Let's not speculate or tarry though - I have little love for the city and would soon be out in the wilderness again.

Illven
2010-05-16, 02:24 PM
Why pay for more then one healing potion, I can heal, and if I'm knocked out one of you could quaff said potion down my throat.

Imbasel
2010-05-16, 02:32 PM
Ramik turns and says " Yeah, we might as well buy one healing potion. Anyway, shall we go in?"

Illven
2010-05-16, 03:13 PM
After you three

Klyth Manyclaw
2010-05-17, 02:06 PM
OOC Note: Sorry for the lack of updates, still getting used to the PbP format. Was thinking you would specifically state your actions, instead of implying them. Won't happen again, and sorry for the delay.

IC:
The huge double doors swing inward as you near them, revealing a long hall, huge, and filled with well over five dozen reception desks, side-by-side, running parallel to the two walls. Various adventurers, from warriors in simple chainshirts, thick leather, or gleaming breastplates, to wizards in vibrant robes flowing with arcane sygils stand side-by-side near each desk, some sitting on wooden chairs with pillows over the seat, others standing beside their companions. At the far end, all of you can vaguely see a dwarf with a high sheild and stout axe, handing fifteen kobold's gory, severed heads to a delicate-looking elven woman, who produces a sterile-looking, metal tray. The dwarf places the heads on the tray, and fifteen small sacs visibly weighted with golden coins are then handed to him. He pockets each individually, then begins walking off, a satisfied grin on his bearded face.

You hear to your side the voice of tall, human woman. She yells out to the open chamber, "Next party, please! Who's next?" A golden label on her stout, wooden desk reads 'Adventuring Party Registration.' Her hair is brown flecked with small spots of gray and silver, and small wrinkles, not yet incredibly noticeable but showing the signs of a middle-aged woman who's seen too much, crease her face. Her eyes have the weary, tired look of a person of peasant birth, yet she stands straight, as her position dictates, and she was clearly very pretty as a girl, before the years took their toll.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-17, 02:15 PM
Despite her height and muscle, Elora seems to have shrunk inside the hall. She stoops, uncomfortable in the office environment.
Hello. My companions and I are here to register. My friends, they are a bunch of jokesters; told me we need to pay a fee to kill monsters. I mean, they were pulling my leg, right ... uhm, right??
A worried look covers her face if the lady doesn't say "of course they were".

Illven
2010-05-17, 04:40 PM
Where do we register to become bounty hunters, and are there any special requirements to do so

Imbasel
2010-05-17, 04:40 PM
Any requirements, besides being devilishly handsome, and strong that is?

Klyth Manyclaw
2010-05-17, 05:20 PM
The woman looks them over, slowly. "No... no requirements. I'm afraid we'll need a ten gold piece processing fee for your adventuring license, refundable for one week if you don't believe you're up for the challenge, but otherwise, you'll be fine."

She gives the new adventurers a comforting, practiced-looking smile. "Just from someone who processes about a million of these a day... don't worry about it. No need to be uncomfortable. You'll get used to this place pretty quickly if you plan to spend any length of time around here. Anyway, it's ten gold for the entire group, so, if you have that with you, we'll be able to begin the registration process."

Imbasel
2010-05-17, 05:29 PM
Ramik nods at the women and pulls out 10 gold pieces counting them out before her, to show exactly how much. He then says Well, I've got the gold here anyway. Guys, don't worry about the money I'm sure I'll end up needing to ask you for some gold somebody.

Klyth Manyclaw
2010-05-17, 05:46 PM
The woman takes the ten gold pieces, swiping them in to a brown, leather sac and then stashing it in one of the many sliding, wooden drawers on her desk. She closes it, turns a key in the lock, and then looks up at them. As she does this, practiced fingers take a piece of fine-looking parchment out of some form of compartment hidden from the eye in the back of her desk, and place it gently on the table. She smooths it out with a few pulls of her hand, and then takes a quill filled with ink from its place by a small candle, the long, white feather drooping delicately at the end, and places the metal tip to the parchment.

"Alright, now I just have to ask a few questions before I can fill out your adventuring license. Firstly, what is the name of your adventuring party. This is mostly just for official records, Armaelonian government-sponsored payments, etc, but it's always nice to have something to call yourselves in battle."

Illven
2010-05-17, 05:53 PM
Does anyone have any idea what we should call ourselves

Imbasel
2010-05-17, 06:27 PM
Ramik says in a slightly joking tone How does the Final Guard sound? That may work since we are trying to guard civilization.

Illven
2010-05-17, 07:10 PM
The mocking aside, I can't really think of anything better, does anyone have any objections Joval shurgs his shoulders

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-17, 08:35 PM
The Final Guard - sound good to me.

Illven
2010-05-17, 09:05 PM
Joval turns to the lady Unless anyone has objections I guess we're calling ourselves the final guard

Klyth Manyclaw
2010-05-17, 09:58 PM
She writes along the top-most line in the center of the parchment, in scrawling, looping cursive handwriting, each sweep both delicate and precise, 'The Final Guard.' As she finishes, the ink flashes with a slight, purplish glow. She turns her head back up to the group. "Will you be having a completely equal group power-wise, and if not, who will be your designated party leader?"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-18, 03:29 PM
Elora looks at her new friends. She seeks no authority over them ... but wouldn't like to be bossed around either; she didn't travel all this road away from the tribe to replace the yoke of one chieftain with another. Taking a deep breath, she turns to the lady, Equal power, I reckon.

Imbasel
2010-05-18, 03:30 PM
Ramik nods and says All for one, and one for all. That's what they say right? Equal is fair, so my vote is for equal.

Illven
2010-05-18, 05:45 PM
Yes I agree with my friends equal.

Klyth Manyclaw
2010-05-18, 06:28 PM
The woman smiles a little at this, a wrinkle creasing joyfully across her cheek as she turns back to the paper. "Equal it is, then, Final Guard. Are these all of the members in your party, and if not, how many others are there?"

She looks back up expectantly.

Imbasel
2010-05-18, 06:38 PM
Ramik says This is everybody, besides two dogs. So what happens now? Can we go off hunting, and if so where?

Klyth Manyclaw
2010-05-18, 06:43 PM
The woman writes on two new lines, the ink flashing with a faint glow with each stroke. As she finishes, she looks up at them, turning the quill towards them. "I'll just need each of you to sign this, and we'll be done." She smiles expectantly, waiting for the final part of their registration procedure.

Imbasel
2010-05-18, 06:54 PM
Ramik strides forward calmly, confidently. With a wide sme on his face he takes the offered quill. With small, fast deft strokes he writes Ramik Ford with a flourish. He hands the quill back to the woman and says Thank you, miss I highly appreciate it.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-18, 07:05 PM
X

Elora puts a cross where she's instructed to sign.

Bonecrusher Doc
2010-05-18, 07:30 PM
Fergie wordlessly finds a chair and pushes it in front of where the official has the document. She jumps up onto the chair and signs the paper. She's used to doing this sort of thing.

Illven
2010-05-18, 07:53 PM
Should Fang sign, or to be more exact should we drip his paw in ink and press it to the paper As Joval writes his first name where he is told to sign

Klyth Manyclaw
2010-05-18, 07:56 PM
The woman turns the paper back around after all of the new-found party members have signed it, and shakes her head. "That won't be necessary. Only humanoid party members need to sign it. She looks down to review it... and her eyes stop for a moment on the large cross where Elora signed. "Excuse me... miss? I need you to sign your name on the line, so we can identify who is actually in the party."

She looks back up at Elora inquisitively. "Is there some reason you didn't sign like everyone else?"

Illven
2010-05-18, 09:29 PM
Elora should I sign for you Joval whispers to her

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-18, 10:16 PM
Oh boy, this is going to be embarassing.
I ... uhm ... I never learned how. Sorry. My name is Elora, maybe you can just write it down there. Or Joval can sign for me, if that sort of thing is allowed, that is, ma'am.

Klyth Manyclaw
2010-05-19, 03:10 PM
The woman nods. "Ah, I see." She gives Elora a small smile, understandingly. "Don't worry, miss Elora, we see plenty of people who can't read or write each day. There's no need to be embarrassed."

As she says this, she writes in a neat, looping handwriting, "Elora", next to the cross the barbarian woman wrote upon the paper. The last name flashes a dull blue, and the certificate is finished.

The Bounty Reclamations Office worker then slides the certificate in to a folder in one of the many compartments of her desk, and from a small box on her left side, pulls out four cards, each glowing with a slight golden sheen and with scrawling, black handwriting running along it. Each of these has written 'Armaelonian Official Adventuring License' across the front, with, in smaller print, 'Issued in Daeglor' beneath it. On the back, their names, exactly as they were written on the certificate, are etched in as if with a smith's tools to a hot iron, a faint, forge-metal glow emitting from them.

"These will be your official adventuring licenses for your person. Carry them everywhere, as you'll need them every time you collect bounties, buy adventurer-only items, or do anything related to adventuring in the town."

She smiles at you all. "And good luck, to all of you."

Illven
2010-05-19, 03:28 PM
Where shall we go first He askes the group, He puts the piece of paper in one of his pockets

Imbasel
2010-05-19, 03:35 PM
Ramik smiles grabbing his sheet of paper. Carefully, folding it up he puts it safely in his backpack.

Klyth Manyclaw
2010-05-19, 03:41 PM
To the touch, the piece of 'paper' would feel more like metal left out in the sun, with the smoothness of gold and a comforting warmth to it. Where their fingers passed over their names etched in to the back, the heat would seem more so, oddly comforting to the touch though such heat would undoubtedly have been unpleasant from any other source.

Bonecrusher Doc
2010-05-19, 03:45 PM
Fergie

"P'rhaps we should ask around a bit. Find a few leads. Decide what sounds profitable but not overly dangerous for us greenhorns."

Fergie looks around the room for maps and posters and casually asks any locals she finds where goblins can be found in reasonable numbers.

[roll0]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-19, 04:10 PM
Elora examines the 'paper' carefully. She pays special attention to the place where her name is written. She passes her finger on the letters, one by one. She reads her name in whisper to herself - E-l-o-r-a. Well, she doesn't read it actually, of course, she knows it written there. But it gives her an idea what being able to read feels like. I must master this art. If I am to prove myself, I cannot continue making myself look like a fool.
Tearing herself away from thoughts into actions, she puts the paper securely in her pack.

Illven
2010-05-19, 04:38 PM
Joval asks the lady Madam, is there a place where people list active bounties, or do you have any suggestions where to start.

Klyth Manyclaw
2010-05-19, 06:17 PM
Fergie would find numerous reports of goblin and kobold activity, mostly in newspaper clippings from around town. Aside from those mostly outdated sources, one very large, oddly helpful sign just beside the double doors they walked in reads - "New Adventurers and those Looking for Work: Read the Town Billboard TODAY!!!"

This knowledge, of course, would soon become apparent to everyone as the quite helpful woman nods at them. "You can find a list of most of the recent monstrous activity at the town billboard. It's the large, wooden board in the town square, right across the grass from here. There's plenty of ads, most listing rewards and such. I'd, personally, stay away from the farms or mines if you're new; Farms have quite a few more goblins and kobolds than most other places, and there's apparently been an outbreak of rather large spiders in the mines. Just a helpful hint, though; If you think you're up to it, you are adventurers now."

She winks at the group with this last sentence. "Anything else I can help you with?"

Imbasel
2010-05-19, 06:23 PM
Ramik gives the woman a large, beautifully white smile. He inclines his heads towards her and says I think that's all miss. Thank, you kindly for all the help we appreciate it. So, guys should we go off to the town square then?

Illven
2010-05-19, 06:40 PM
Yeah sure seems like a good idea. Fang come

Klyth Manyclaw
2010-05-19, 08:20 PM
As the party approaches the huge, double doors, they swing inward, granting them easy passage out in to Daeglor. The warm sunshine graces them with light after the relatively dark interior of the Reclamations office, the candle light being replaced by bright, noon-day sun. A slight breeze swirls through the area, twirling some of their hair and causing Fang's coat to rustle gently. Ahead of them, in a completely straight path, they see the wooden billboard. Surrounding it can be seen numerous adventurers, from the mundane warrior to the mystical sorcerer. The dwarf from earlier, in the Reclamations Office, can be seen walking away towards a party of numerous others, shrouded from view. They seem to be taking the road to the farm-lands, that so warned as to be dangerous.

Ahead, the crowd seems thin enough that all four of this new party will be able to access the wall, if they head there. The town of Daeglor awaits, every service and commodity at their disposal thanks to their newly minted adventuring licenses.

Illven
2010-05-19, 08:24 PM
Elora, remeber Tyrone He points to the post where he was tied up

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-19, 09:27 PM
Thanks for reminding me, but there's no chance I'll ever forget my faithful companion!
Elora and Tyrone approach the billboard, curious whether they will find any words that consist entirely out of the letters E,L,O,R and A. Well, Elora is. The dog's just chasing his tail.

Imbasel
2010-05-19, 09:45 PM
Ramik, proudly struts foward to the billboard. Standing next to Elora, he scans it looking for any and all information, about goblins.

Klyth Manyclaw
2010-05-19, 09:48 PM
To Elora, the letters, especially 'E' and 'O', seem to pop out everywhere. While the words seem unfamiliar to her, she finds entire words, such as 'Role', 'are', and 'lore', on various ads dotting the board. To the literate members of her party, however, the sign provides far more information.

Messages, from tiny, scrawled notes, to huge pieces of parchment nailed on to the wood, cover the huge piece of wood from top to bottom. While some things, such as 'Fence repairs, Five Silver a day' and 'Sale on new kitchen knives at Dalmarel's Forge!' seem fairly inconsequential to your new adventuring career, a few basic pieces of news leap out at you, as their notices are both numerous, large, and clearly printed through the same methods as the text with the Reclamations Office, large, magical, and looping cursive which spells out the daily events.

Kobold attacks along the Logger Camps to the north appear to be growing increasingly more violent at the same time that, along the southern border, goblin bandits and war-parties menace caravans headed through the Mountain paths and trails. The farm-lands the Registration clerk warned you about appear to be beset by a continual siege of kobold and goblin alike, each viciously tearing through the resources of the area. The mining colony, to the north-east, has been beset by a horde of monstrous spiders, driving away what miners survived the horrific attack and causing an estimated thirty deaths.

In the lower right corner of the board, a large notice also stands out; The merchant Magirolus Dartwand, of the Mystical Trinkets, Inc. Cartel, is in town, and is willing to pay in discounts of his merchandise to anyone who kills goblins on the Mountain Road, as his supplies cannot get through.

Other notices such as this punctuate a very noticeable theme; The goblin and kobold sieges cost more than the occasional piece of fence. Lives, livelihoods, homes, all have felt the sting of the pest's blades.

Illven
2010-05-20, 05:17 AM
I suggest we take the mountain road job, we may get a discount on magic items in the future, and we get to kill goblins win, win

Imbasel
2010-05-20, 09:08 AM
I'm with you on that one. It seems like a good starting job. Should we gp to the shop to tall to the, owners about the goblins in the area? They might know some handy information.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-20, 09:14 AM
[[Elora asks someone to read out to her the full text of the offer]]
I would be wary of those merchants. Payment in discounts, yeah right. Pa once told me, "if a merchant offers you a 100 gp item with a discount for 50, it probably costs 20".

Illven
2010-05-20, 01:39 PM
Certainly some merchants will, but not all, if they do that too often word will spread and bussiness will drop

Bonecrusher Doc
2010-05-20, 04:16 PM
"So long as it's goblins..."

Klyth Manyclaw
2010-05-21, 01:00 PM
Magirolus Dartwand's Caravan, according to a small note at the bottom of the sign, supposedly sits to the north of Dalmarel's Forge. Heading to the north, you find a line of carts, strung together by thick chain, with twenty-five huge warhorses tethered to the front. To the sides of each cart, a man dressed in the armor of Armaelon, the symbol of a hawk upon his brow, with its claws glowing a faint blue, stands at the ready. These Claws stand steadfast to the sides of their item of care.

Magirolus Dartwand himself, however, does not appear to be anywhere nearby, from what you can see. Though of course, he may be in one of the carts, or nearby. One of the Claws looks over quizzically, a young one by the looks, and new to the ranks of the Armaelonian armed forces. He quickly realizes he is supposed to be guarding the caravan, however, and returns to a 1000-meter stare, his posture rigid.

Imbasel
2010-05-21, 01:50 PM
Ramik confidently goes over to the new soldier. With, a warm inviting look on his face he says Would, you know where we could find,Magirolus Dartwand? We, are adventurers looking to possibly, take him up on his offer.

Klyth Manyclaw
2010-05-21, 07:53 PM
The guard appears to be attempting to decide what to do. After a few moments of very obvious internal deliberation, he speaks in a young, proud voice, trained, whether by commanding officer or himself, to keep still when it is required. The man nods. "Magirolus was headed over to 'The Cauldron', last I heard. You could go look for him there, or wait, doesn't really matter one way or the other."

The guard shrugs. "Hope you all know what you're getting yourselves in to though. No offense, but you don't look like you've seen much actual combat, and the goblins around here are pretty damn mean."

Illven
2010-05-21, 08:14 PM
Do you know where the cauldron is located, I don't want someone else taking the job

Klyth Manyclaw
2010-05-23, 12:10 PM
The guard nods. "Its in the town square, across from the billboard. Hope it helps."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-23, 12:20 PM
Thank you for the kind words of encouragement, Mr. Guard. Although one has to wonder, if you're so competent, why does your boss have to hire adventurers like us. No matter, we'll have an answer to this question soon enough.

Elora turn her back to the guard, ready to head with her friends back to the town square.

Bonecrusher Doc
2010-05-23, 01:50 PM
Forget-Me-Not leads the group back to the town square, striding quickly on her short legs. She keeps her eye peeled for anything out of the ordinary... the little ranger is always in the habit of staying aware of her surroundings. In the wilderness it comes to her naturally, like being one with the rocks and trees. Here in town it's more of a conscious decision... she does not feel at ease with so many people and buildings around.

[roll0]

Klyth Manyclaw
2010-05-23, 07:25 PM
Forget-Me-Not's vigilance seems mostly in vain for their journey to the Cauldron, as everything goes smoothly. Fortunately, their first taste of combat in their career of adventuring will not be in the middle of crowded streets and innocent pedestrians. Upon arriving at the Cauldron, a building of dark-brown and deep red bricks with a roof shining with some form of alchemical oil, they see through a window in the front a small, gnomish man, clad in traveler's gear, a vest over long-sleeved white shirt and leather chaps ending in comfortable-looking brown shoes, talking to a woman in a long, light violet dress, her jet-black hair tied back in a long, flowing ponytail with two strands of violet thread. They appear to be talking pleasantly, and the guard, a dwarf in thick armor, with a high shield to one side and a stout, keenly honed axe to the other, appears to be at ease.

After a few more moments of idle conversation, the woman, obviously the clerk of The Cauldron, if not its owner, hands the gnomish man a piece of paper and a red-feathered quill. He signs quickly, with a practiced hand, and then hands the paper back. She stows it behind the counter, and Magirolus Dartwand strides out of the Cauldron and towards the party, a smug grin on his face and a tank of a dwarf trailing behind him.

Illven
2010-05-23, 07:56 PM
Wait Magirolus we want to speak with you He tries talking before the door closes

Klyth Manyclaw
2010-05-23, 08:23 PM
((OOC Note: Magirolus is walking out of the store, not in to it, when you arrive. So I'll just treat that 'before the door closes.' as if it hadn't happened, and sorry for not making that clear enough. :smallbiggrin:))

Magirolus stops, the guard looking over to the speaking druid. "Yes, sir, what may I help you with?" he asks pleasantly, looking over his fellow gnome's friends.

Imbasel
2010-05-23, 08:28 PM
Ramik turns and says We, read about how you want to remove goblins and we are interested. However, all of us would like more details on the area, the goblin attacks, and the reward itself.

Klyth Manyclaw
2010-05-23, 09:52 PM
"Ah, my offer on the town billboard! I was wondering when someone was going to take me up on that!" He grins widely, displaying neat rows of bright, white teeth. "I'd be happy to give you whatever information you need! Those goblins have been a huge problem in the past, and I'd just as soon have them gone. The area's a mountain pass, leading through two ways. It USED to lead all the way through the mountains, and to a myriad of other mountain roads that made it a hell of a lot easier to trade with people across the mountains, in Brulstead or Tyrithiil, or just to get to the City of Light without having to pay all the toll booths and whatnot, but since the goblins have taken up residence in the main entrance and collapsed it in to a cave-layer, my caravan can't get through and I can't get to my sources. The goblin attacks have been mostly concentrated around that pass, so any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. And as to the reward, I'll offer half price on any magical item worth less than 500gp for every goblin head you bring in and show to me, and an additional bonus 100 gold off of that same item for every ten. Half off any two-thousand gold piece item for 50 heads. So, let's say, if you had 10 heads, you'd pay 250 gold on 9 500 gold piece items, and 150 gold on one of them. Bring in fifty heads, you'd be paying two-hundred and fifty gold for a whopping forty-five five-hundred gold piece items, and one-fifty for five of them, as well as 1000 gold for any singular 2000 gold piece item. It sounds pretty lucrative, but compared to what you'll be saving me by reopening that pass, its nothing."

The gnome grins widely. "So, what do you say? Think you four would be up for the job?"

Illven
2010-05-23, 09:58 PM
Joval looks to the group I have no objections what about the rest of you

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-23, 11:23 PM
Elora is completely lost in the numbers. 500 gp here, 250 there, take away 100 for each 10 goblins, and it all adds up to ... yep, we're definitely being ripped off. But, oh well, every quest for glory has to start somewhere, and goblins are as good a start as any.

Klyth Manyclaw
2010-05-25, 05:14 PM
"Good, good!" the gnome smiles with a practiced, mercantile grin. "We'll just head back to the caravan, you'll all sign a contract, and you'll be ready to be off!"

Magirolus Dartwand then walks off towards the direction of the caravan, his clanking, metal companion following behind him.

Illven
2010-05-25, 06:38 PM
Joval whispers to the party. Why does everyone want us to sign something around here, is our word not good enough, I feel like I'll end up signing away my soul in the delgue if paperwork

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-26, 09:22 AM
Actually, now that it's been mentioned ... Elora finds the prospect of signing something to be exhillarating. Now that she knows how to write her own name, even if only by mechanical copying, she would be willing to sell her soul to the first Imp she met just for the pleasure of putting some letters on paper. Suddenly that merchant guy doesn't look so bad.

We'll gladly sign! she exhales, surprised by her own enthusiasm.

Imbasel
2010-05-26, 02:36 PM
Ramik nods and says Lets, get to signing then. I want to go get me some dead goblins.

Bonecrusher Doc
2010-05-26, 03:11 PM
Fergie signs this next form with the others, shaking her head a bit. She hopes Elora is not too embarassed and considers offering to teach her a bit of reading and writing once they know each other better.

Klyth Manyclaw
2010-05-26, 03:18 PM
The gnomish man leads them back to his caravan, where it seems the guards have changed shifts. The younger Claw they saw earlier is now very visible at the end of the long line of wagons, and where he used to stand, a slightly older man with a rough, brown beard and brown, glittering eyes stands valiantly at his place, Greatsword held firmly in his hands. Magirolus taps on the bottom of the wagon, and a small set of stairs unfolds slowly from the bottom. Then, the gnomish merchant walks in to the caravan, and after a few moments, returns with a piece of wood gripped in his hands, a set of three papers tied together and magically floating inches over its surface. The gnome flattens the paper on to the wood, flips to the back page, completely composed of lines for people to sign on, and holds it out to the group. "Just sign your name on one of the numerous lines, and we'll be in business."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-26, 03:21 PM
Embarrased? Heck no! Elora has the time of her life diligently copying the letters that make her name from the adventuring license. The whole process takes a lot more than a regular signature, of course, and she manages to get all ten of her fingers dirty with ink, but the end result looks great! She even gives the 'a' a nice curly tail.

OOC
Unlike happiness, literacy is never more than two skill points away. But if anyone offers Elora reading and writing lessons, yes, she will be grateful

Illven
2010-05-26, 03:55 PM
Joval starts reading the contract in depth looking for double meanings, ways for screwing him over, or soul-selling parts I guess it's a serach check if so

[roll0]

Klyth Manyclaw
2010-05-27, 07:04 AM
Joval searches diligently, but it doesn't seem to him as if the gnome is attempting to double-cross or two-time them; the contract actually seems fairly legitimate. Of course, he could always have missed something, but the gnome has a certain trustworthiness to him.

Illven
2010-05-27, 06:34 PM
Joval signs Okay is there anything next?

Klyth Manyclaw
2010-05-27, 06:57 PM
As Joval finishes signing, Magirolus passes the contract to Ramik, the last member of the party in need of signing. "Next up, goblin killing. Anywhere along the mountain pass or the mining road, so long as you get rid of those goblins, this deal applies to your severed monster-heads." He smiles widely. "I'd have the guards here do it, but under my contractual obligation, I have to use them only for defensive purposes; the Council in the City of Light likes to encourage adventuring, so they've made it illegal for anyone currently in the armed services to take up the challenge. Makes it more fair for the new ones like you all."

Imbasel
2010-05-27, 07:30 PM
Ramik signs the contract with a flourish. He smiles and hands it back.

Klyth Manyclaw
2010-05-30, 04:38 PM
With the contract signed, all that was left was any last minute preparations, questions, etc, before heading off to the mountains.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-30, 09:05 PM
Elora darts into a weapon store, spends her last 5 gp on a Spiked Gauntlet, if such is available, and is ready to go.

Klyth Manyclaw
2010-06-02, 08:57 PM
Such is in fact available, and the clerk, a burly man with a gray beard and his eyebrows burned away, promptly carries out the transaction. As they finish, they head off for the mountains, ready for whatever difficulties might be in store.

Heading forth along the mountain road, they come upon the exit to the city's southern side; a high wall of stone, hastily stacked and mortared but strong none-the-less. By the doors, two high, wooden things, stand two guards, wooden shields upon their arms and hammers in their belts. They appear untrained, slumping against the wall and relaxed, clearly no more than common men outfitted for the duty. As they approach, one of the men, whose brown hair reaches his shoulders around twinkling green eyes, walks over, putting up a hand. "What business do you have in the southern pass?" he asks, looking them over, appraising them.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-02, 09:23 PM
We have an Adventurer Certificate! And we signed a contract with Magirolus! Elora proudly announces. Each of us signed the contract. I signed too. Just so you know.

Klyth Manyclaw
2010-06-02, 09:38 PM
The guard blinks at Elora. "Alright... may I see your Adventuring certificates? It isn't really safe to go out on this path, and Armaelon apparently has a problem with bein' held responsible and goin' through all the legal shenanigans for four or five inexperienced guys holding kitchen knives, thinkin' their Claws or Talons or somesuch and gettin' themselves killed." He notes with a tiny hint of contempt. Another guard yells up, "Eh, Berilor, what'n'a hell 're you botherin' those folks about? Another one of y'r 'kitchen knife' rants? Wouldja give it a rest already?"

A couple men crack up in the background, causing Berilor's face to go slightly red as he attempts to ignore them. "Anyway, Adventuring license, please?"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-03, 12:41 PM
Here's our license. Elora produces her copy, the one with the X.
Can we go now, or would you like to check our equipment too? She half-unsheathes her greataxe, so he can catch a glimpse of the blade.

OOC
Dear DM, I noticed that for the last week, no one posted in the thread except you and me. Do the other players need to be reminded of this game? Are they still playing?

Bonecrusher Doc
2010-06-03, 02:38 PM
Fergie is happy to let Elora do the talking right now. She likes her style.

Imbasel
2010-06-03, 03:30 PM
Ramik opens up his backpack, and shows the contract to the guards.

Illven
2010-06-03, 04:30 PM
OOC I'm sorry, I couldn't see anything where my view would be nothing but wasted space

IC Of course Sir this is my adventuring pass

Klyth Manyclaw
2010-06-05, 08:54 AM
The guard looks over the licenses gruffly, muttering something under his breath, then reaches out, holding the golden license Elora presents briefly between two fingers, before dropping his hand and sighing. "Alright, y'all 're free t'head out. Just don't leave TOO big a stain on the mount'nside, will ya?" He signals for the guards to begin opening the gates, and one of them kicks the side of the stone wall twice with the back of his metallic heel, the sound of metal-on-stone echoing away in to the mountain pass beyond. The sound of chain links clinking together can be heard, and the door opens outward, revealing a valley extending perhaps fifty feet, before the ground on each side of the road begins to rise sheer to it, becoming mountain walls that cast the pass in eternal shadow.

Bonecrusher Doc
2010-06-05, 10:53 AM
Fergie takes a deep breath as she welcomes the sight of the wilderness again.

Illven
2010-06-05, 12:51 PM
Okay we need marching order people How wide is the pass

Bonecrusher Doc
2010-06-05, 02:15 PM
"I'll lead."

Fergie doesn't wait for discussion but scampers ahead regardless. She keeps her eyes peeled for anything or anyone.

[roll0]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-05, 02:28 PM
She's feisty, the small one, gotta respect that. But I best keep close, in case she gets jumped.

Elora follows, faithful dog in tow. C'mon boy, sniff us some Goblin.

Spot [roll0]
Dog's Survival [roll1]

Illven
2010-06-05, 02:58 PM
Me and Fang will take the rear than. Fang assist Tyrone

Joval spot [roll0]
Joval listen [roll1]
Fang spot [roll2]
Fang listen [roll3]
Fang surivival [roll4]

Yay Tyrone gets a +2

Imbasel
2010-06-05, 03:17 PM
Ramik says I'll be second in the line.

Spot Check: [roll0]

Klyth Manyclaw
2010-06-10, 02:15 PM
The group begins alertly walking forth in to the canyon, their eyes and ears sharply attuned to the actions of their environment. Within fifteen minutes of walking, it pays off. The sound of a rock clicking down the canyon, and a small hint of dust, causes the group to look up, and find six short, gray humanoids standing atop the ridge, each of them carrying a notched, blood-stained blade in one hand, and a wicked-looking hatchet with a wooden haft in the other. The creatures shriek as the group's eyes meet theirs, then scamper away, their feet slapping upon the rock recklessly. Even as they leave, however, the sensation of dark eyes watching does not leave the group...

Illven
2010-06-10, 03:56 PM
Do we roll iniatitve [roll0], Let's climb up after them, right Fang

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-11, 09:07 AM
Without a word, Elora joins in the hunt for the goblins. 'least she assumes that's what they are.

Initiative if needed [roll0]

Klyth Manyclaw
2010-06-11, 10:45 AM
((If you're climbing up after them, you'll need to make a Climb check; You can take ten, if you'd like. The Initiative rolls have been recorded.))

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-11, 10:54 AM
Take 10 for a total of 13

Illven
2010-06-11, 01:33 PM
Is Fang able to carry me, otherwise I have to take off my armor to get a 10

Klyth Manyclaw
2010-06-11, 02:07 PM
(No, Fang can't carry you, but if you'd like to roll for your climb check, you could potentially still make a '10.')

Bonecrusher Doc
2010-06-11, 02:15 PM
Fergie scrambles up after the goblins, alert for an ambush.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Illven
2010-06-11, 02:23 PM
Therotically I could just "push" (the druid ability) him:smalltongue:

Joval's climb [roll0]
Joval's spot [roll1]
Joval's listen [roll2]
Fang's climb [roll3]
Fang's spot [roll4]
Fang's listen [roll5]

Klyth Manyclaw
2010-06-15, 10:27 AM
The party begins to slowly climb up the rock wall, hands finding jutting rocks to hold on to and feet easily pushing off against ledges bored by wind and rain in to the thick stone. The climb seems fairly easy; Not so for Joval and his dog. Their fingers find few hand holds and their strength wanes as they attempt to reach the top of the mountain. It seems that for all the strength of nature, this rock wall evades the might of the fledgling druid...

For those who reach the top, however, an unpleasant sight greets them. The six, hunchbacked figures, sharp blades in their hands, stand in a circle snarling at each other and seemingly arguing in goblin over what they should do next. One of them slashes a nearby stone with his sword, then bares his tiny, yellow tusks and roars hot, rancid breath in to the face of another. This has clearly been going on since they disappeared, and they don't appear to notice the adventuring party which has climbed to the top of the ridge; All the better to take them out before they know what's happening.

((Alright, if you guys want to attack, I've got Elora's and Joval's initiative. He is, however, still at the bottom of the rock wall, and in need of some assistance. Joval, you can continue rolling if you'd like, or you can take two minutes (twenty rounds) to take 20.))

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-15, 10:42 AM
So, we have the drop on them. Let's get us some goblin scalps and make this road safe.

Elora steps from the edge of the cliff and throws a javelin at one of the goblins. She then switches to her sword axe for close combat.

[roll0] attack, [roll1] damage

Bonecrusher Doc
2010-06-15, 01:48 PM
Fergie looks around to find a rock that either gives her cover or a high ground advantage. She prefers ranged combat to melee. Doing this gives the rest of her team time to get up along with her. When all are ready, she will let fly with a throwing axe... and she knows just where to aim to hurt a goblin.

Assuming the baddies are at point blank range. Not assuming I get the +2 for higher ground.
[roll0]
[roll1]
EDIT: Oops, I forgot to roll for initiative. Not that it matters with a natural 1. Waste of a perfectly good throwing axe.

Illven
2010-06-15, 06:21 PM
Joval and Fang try to climb again

Joval's roll [roll0]

Fang's roll [roll1]