PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P Ronnie Dio

Innis Cabal
2010-05-16, 06:12 PM
Not sure if there's a thread of this, but Dio has passed away from stomach cancer. He will be missed.

The Glyphstone
2010-05-16, 06:18 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_James_Dio

*gives devil's horns salute*

Manicotti
2010-05-16, 06:20 PM
I saw this earlier, it really is sad. He was an amazing singer and songwriter.

zeratul
2010-05-16, 06:25 PM
lower the flags, a good man has passed
he has reached the last of frontiers
lower the flags down to half mast
for again the world has taken a turn for the worse

Farewell Ronnie James DIO, as I said in the metal thread
RIP Dio, and have fun drinkin with Dimebag, Bonn Scott, and Rhoads.

Nerd-o-rama
2010-05-16, 06:27 PM
I don't normally comment on celebrity death threads, or metal threads, but allow me to eulogize with appropriate music:

He has songs of wilderbeasts and angels,
He has soared on the wings of a demon.

I have to wonder where the wildebeest comment came from, but regardless, RIP, Dio. Or not, at your preference.

Froogleyboy
2010-05-16, 06:36 PM
everyone throw up a pair of horns in honor of a great man!

Freejack451
2010-05-16, 06:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m-095okyQY

R.I.P.

Johkmil
2010-05-16, 06:58 PM
A Metal God has ascended from this Earth

thorgrim29
2010-05-16, 07:05 PM
Well that sucks.... RIP Dio.

Klose_the_Sith
2010-05-16, 08:38 PM
And so I weep tears of blood :smallfrown:

Angrist
2010-05-16, 09:43 PM
Oh man, this day just gets worse and worse!

sofawall
2010-05-16, 09:44 PM
Despite never listening to his music (my only exposure to him was Tenacious D), he was truly awesome.

Raistlin1040
2010-05-16, 09:48 PM
My friend called me to tell me about this.

I don't know what to tell you, Ronnie. I always liked Ozzy Sabbath better, but when I saw you with Heaven and Hell last summer, I saw what people loved about you. You had a power, a demeanor that made you one of the greatest frontmen in the world. Nobody could replace you in Rainbow. Even Graham Bonnet couldn't show you up. Your solo career was you, and nobody would ever take that away. No one could do Holy Diver like you could. I grew to love some of your Sabbath stuff, like Heaven and Hell, and Neon Knights, and The Mob Rules. My favorite song you ever sang was Die Young. I know you weren't exactly young, but I played it for my D&D group, along with a few others, to pay homage. They fought Minotaurs and Dragons and Demons to your soundtrack. I hope you approve.

Thanks for rocking.

Thurbane
2010-05-16, 09:54 PM
I heard about this today, and now I'm really sad. :smallfrown:

RJD is one of my all time faves, and is, without doubt, my single favorite vocalist. I listened to a huge amount of his music (Dio, Elf, Rainbow, Black Sabbath) growing up, and still do to this day.

RIP Ronnie - a true legend of metal.

A Metal God has ascended from this Earth
Interesting fact: Ronnie Dio is ofetn attributed with creating the famous Metal Salute (or at least popularizing it), which was a modified version of a sign his grandmother used to make to ward off evil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign_of_the_horns

MoelVermillion
2010-05-16, 10:09 PM
Ronnie James Dio was one of my all time favourite musicians, he was a true legend and the world of music suffers to see such a great man go.

R.I.P. Dio.

Temotei
2010-05-16, 10:24 PM
Dang, man. :smallsigh:

DraPrime
2010-05-16, 10:25 PM
This...this...sucks.

TheSummoner
2010-05-16, 11:15 PM
And on this day, May 16, 2010, the one and only true god of metal ascended to his rightful place. This world just wasn't good enough for you Dio.

It sucks... it really does... I was hoping to see him perform one day... I guess it just wasn't meant to happen.

SDF
2010-05-17, 12:33 AM
Well, this was a long time coming. He had been dying for a good while, so I'm not surprised by it. Still, his musical contribution to the world will live on in his stead.

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-05-17, 02:20 AM
Whoa.

Dio has rocked for a long, long time... Now it's time to pass the torch.:smallfrown:

He wasn't that old. I'll miss him.

The best singer Black Sabbath ever had.
He is immortalised in my D&D game, too. I named my pseudo-medieval European church after him.

Dragor
2010-05-17, 03:37 AM
And so passes a powerhouse.

RIP Ronnie, you will definitely be missed.

*horns*

J.Gellert
2010-05-17, 08:15 AM
He was one of the best. Live on forever, Ronnie.

The Big Dice
2010-05-17, 08:23 AM
I see a rainbow rising
Look there on the horizon
And I'm coming home
Coming home, I'm coming home

RIP Ronnie. The world is a less rockin' place now.

drakir_nosslin
2010-05-17, 10:18 AM
R.I.P Dio, one of the great sources of inspiration in my youth, and today.

You will always have a special place in my memories.

We Rock thanks to you!

MountainKing
2010-05-17, 11:20 AM
I heard about this today, and now I'm really sad. :smallfrown:

RJD is one of my all time faves, and is, without doubt, my single favorite vocalist. I listened to a huge amount of his music (Dio, Elf, Rainbow, Black Sabbath) growing up, and still do to this day.

Interesting fact: Ronnie Dio is ofetn attributed with creating the famous Metal Salute (or at least popularizing it), which was a modified version of a sign his grandmother used to make to ward off evil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign_of_the_horns

I just found out about Ronny passing today at work from my boss. Thurbane, I'm stealing your sig. I hope that's okay.

Amiria
2010-05-17, 11:26 AM
I miss him, great singer, one of hard rock's / metal's godfathers. I saw him for the first and only time last year live in Wacken with Heaven & Hell. Chance brought it about that I wear my Wacken shirt today on which they are listed as headliners.

Requiescat in pace, Dio. :smallfrown:

But you'll live forever in your music. \m/

faerwain
2010-05-17, 01:39 PM
Yeah, that would have been my chance to see him live for the first time also.
But it was also the very first time in 12 years I couldn't go to Wacken because I had to work..(3rd time I missed it, but the other two were deliberate):smallfrown:

They fought Minotaurs and Dragons and Demons to your soundtrack. I hope you approve.

I'm pretty sure his answer would have been "Hell yeah!"

Way too soon.
But, to paraphrase Pratchett, you sure did impress your seal on that plain world of mortals.

Rock that afterlife.

Thurbane
2010-05-17, 04:52 PM
I just found out about Ronny passing today at work from my boss. Thurbane, I'm stealing your sig. I hope that's okay.
Not a problem, happy to share it.

icastflare!
2010-05-17, 04:54 PM
I am going to have to steal it also. The world definatly wont be the same.

Remmirath
2010-05-17, 07:17 PM

Couldn't agree more. :smallfrown:

The man is gone, but the music and the legend will live on. \m/

littlebottom
2010-05-17, 07:51 PM
but but but... he had gigs scheduled.... he cant die..:smalleek::smallfrown:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!:smallsigh: why?! why?!

then again i heard about the cancer a while ago and ive been hoping like hell he gets over it. it is a true shame. we have lost not only a legend, but a friend, and hero to many.

Requiescat in pace (that is not a spelling mistake)

Weimann
2010-05-17, 08:05 PM
Ah damn it. This was not required.

I can only speak for myself, but Dio was definitely one of my absolute favourite rock vocalists. His voice was always so clear, so convinced. I never heard him live, and I must admit I've heard far from all he has made, but what I've heard has me duly impressed.

May he rest in peace, or not, at his leisure. \m/

Dancing_Zephyr
2010-05-17, 10:04 PM
RIP Ronnie James Dio.
May you rock the next life.

Killer Angel
2010-05-18, 02:17 AM
Farewell, little Holy Diver.

Nameless
2010-05-18, 03:52 AM
May his soul forever rock out with Jimmie Hendrix, Dimebag Darrell, Beethoven and Bach. .-.

Coidzor
2010-05-18, 04:17 AM
Man, first he dies, then I learn his first name. Now I'm double-sad. :smallfrown:

Klose_the_Sith
2010-05-18, 08:38 AM
May his soul forever rock out with Jimmie Hendrix, Dimebag Darrell, Beethoven and Bach. .-.

Why would Dio be hanging out with those posers? He'd be ascending straight to the Golden Throne, above all those mere peons :smallwink:

Zen Monkey
2010-05-18, 09:22 AM
Some people believe that celebrity deaths happen in threes. We've now lost two rock stars (Dio and Peter Steele) in a month. Let's hope there isn't another any time soon.

Xsesiv
2010-05-18, 01:10 PM
And the world gets a little bit worse. Why did it have to be Dio? :smallfrown:

His music will carry on without him, no doubt at all. In a few hundred years he will still be respected as one of the greatest classical musicians of all time, which makes me feel a little better.

Dio. How they packed so much metal into such a tiny man I'll never know.

Spoilered for pretentious lyric quoting:smallwink::The lover of life's not the sinner
The ending is just a beginner

zeratul
2010-05-18, 02:07 PM
Some people believe that celebrity deaths happen in threes. We've now lost two rock stars (Dio and Peter Steele) in a month. Let's hope there isn't another any time soon.

We also lost Miika Tenkula from Sentenced earlier this year, so I guess that would make Dio number three :smallfrown:

Klose_the_Sith
2010-05-18, 05:13 PM
We also lost Miika Tenkula from Sentenced earlier this year, so I guess that would make Dio number three :smallfrown:

That was February last year :smallconfused:

Thurbane
2010-05-18, 10:21 PM
Not that he was an international star, but Alan "AT" Thomas, DJ of the classic Melbourne radio show "Metal for Melbourne" on RRR back in the 80s, passed away about 2 months ago. It was sad for me, as I always used to listen to his show, and had met him a few times.

http://www.ausband.com.au/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=2176707

Temotei
2010-05-19, 01:10 AM
Man, first he dies, then I learn his first name. Now I'm double-sad. :smallfrown:

Yeah. I didn't know his first name either. :smallsigh:

Then again, I was never much of a listener. Still, a sad thing, that is.

Slamrock
2010-05-21, 09:24 AM
wow... another legend is gone

i hope we don't have to bury anymore of our heroes for a while

Froogleyboy
2010-05-22, 06:02 PM
Dio, man, don't go to heaven, 'cause it's really only hell. stay with us instead :smallfrown:

Rotting Baron
2010-05-23, 06:25 PM
This guy was, and is my personal hero. I had hoped to watch a gig of his once, but I guess that won't happen now.

Ruhen in Friede, Dio.

TheSummoner
2010-05-23, 07:20 PM
Dio, man, don't go to heaven, 'cause it's really only hell. stay with us instead :smallfrown:

I see what you did there (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSRLBS4XR5A)

Angrist
2010-05-24, 11:31 PM

Well it happend, Paul Grey, the bassist for slipknot was found dead today, bummer.

CocoMerchantOrc
2010-05-25, 09:09 AM
We will miss you. I used to listen to his music while playing too...

MysticalSpoon
2010-05-25, 04:54 PM
Damn, I miss him... I admit I was never a huge fan, and always preffered Ozzy, but Dio was still an amazing rocker.
Hope he rocks on in Heaven or hell, wherever he heads, and hopefully I follow him there so I can hear him rock again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riwxbh_n_WM

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2010-05-26, 01:39 AM
Ozzy-era Sabbath is better, but Dio is a better vocalist.

littlebottom
2010-05-26, 08:32 AM
it annoys me how many people i have told that Dio has died and they all go "who" :smallsigh: why has he got such a seemingly minor fame?

also the bassist(?) from slipknot has just died. maybe not as famous as dio but still, its odd they do seem to die around the same time.

dehro
2010-05-26, 08:38 AM
it annoys me how many people i have told that Dio has died and they all go "who" :smallsigh: why has he got such a seemingly minor fame?

heu...because there are a lot of people out there who actually don't dig heavy metal and therefore know little about it and it's main figures?