View Full Version : [3.5] Template project: Wonderful template [Peach]

zagan
2010-05-17, 10:18 AM
http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8240/glig.jpg
A wonderful frog

Wonderful Template:
The Wonderful Template can be add to any non-Magical Beast:
Size and type: Size remain unchanged, type change to Magical beast

Hit Dice: All racial Hit dice (including those gain after the application of this template) become d10

Speed: A Wonderful grow wing (even if she already has some) granting it a fly speed equal to twice her land speed with good maneuvrability, if the base creature already as a fly speed use the better of the two

Base Attack Bonus: Bab change to equal racial Hit dice

Special abilities: A Wonderful retains all the base creature special abilities.

Special qualities: A Wonderful lose all the trait from it’s previous type but otherwise retains all the base creature special qualities and gain Darvision 60ft, Low light vision, Damage reduction X/magic, Spell resistance X (see below) and Magical Claw.

Base save Bonus: A Wonderful gain a good Fortitude and Reflex save, Will become poor

Skills: 2+Int per hit dice (x4 for the first)

Challenge Rating: +1

Level adjustement: +1

Damage reduction(Su): A Wonderful gain damage reduction magic the amount of reduce damage is equal to half the creature hit dice, so a 12HD creature as DR6/Magic. If the base creature already has DR/magic use the better of the two.

Spell Resistance(Ex): A Wonderful gain spell resistance equal to 12 + the creature HD. If the base creature already has spell resitance use the better of the two.

Magical Claw(Su): A Wonderful natural attack gain an enhancement bonus to attack and damage roll equal to it’s Hit dice divided by 4. Example a Wonderful natural attack with 8HD gain an enhancement bonus of +2

*Note on cosmetic change: In addtion to the wing a Wonderful creature is generally more colorful than other of the same species.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Template Project (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8492255#post8492255)

Designer note:

Magical beast are such a broad category that I had a hard time thinking of what to do until I remembered the old joke: Fantasy creature are just normal animal with wing. :smallwink:
I also give them a little DR and spell resistance it seem fitting. And finnaly I made their natural attack really magical but I didn't grant any new natural attack, the base creature must have some to benefit from it.
It was also the easiest image to find.
For the feat I focus on the movement mode.

Sky link [Template]
You have a great affinity toward the sky
Prerequisite
Wonderful template
Benefit
When you are flying you are surround by a protective air bubble. Creature attacking you take a -2 penality to attack and damage roll.
Special
This feat can only be taken at 1st level during character creation
Special
If you take this feat you can never gain the Earth link or Ocean link feat

Greater Sky link [Template]
Your affinity with the sky as reach even higher height
Prerequisite
Wonderful template, Sky link, Knowledge (The plane) 4 rank
Benefit
When flying your air bubble also provide you with 20% concealement

Earth link [Template]
You have a great affinity toward the earth
Prerequisite
Wonderful template
Benefit
You lose the fly speed grant by your Wonderful template (but not any fly speed from other source) and instead gain a burrow speed equal to your land speed
Special
Special
If you take this feat you can never gain the Sky link or Ocean link feat

Greater Earth link [Template]
Your affinity with the earth as reach even higher height
Prerequisite
Wonderful template, Earth link, Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) 4 rank
Benefit
You can use your burrow speed to pass through solid stone

Ocean link [Template]
You have a great affinity toward the ocean
Prerequisite
Wonderful template
Benefit
You lose the fly speed grant by your Wonderful template (but not any fly speed from other source) and instead gain a swim speed equal to your land speed
Special
Special
If you take this feat you can never gain the Sky link or Earth link feat

Greater Ocean link [Template]
Your affinity with the ocean as reach even higher height
Prerequisite
Wonderful template, Ocean link, Knowledge (Nature) 4 rank
Benefit
You can breath water as well as air

Volthawk
2010-05-17, 10:32 AM
Why 70ft speed? Bit of an odd number.

zagan
2010-05-17, 11:15 AM
Why 70ft speed? Bit of an odd number.

I think it's not too fast for a fly speed but not too low either.

Jane_Smith
2010-05-17, 11:21 AM
Typically its x2 of base land speed, which fits on a creature-to-creature basis usually. Wouldnt make much sense if a ant could fly 70 ft. in a round or more eh?

zagan
2010-05-17, 11:26 AM
Typically its x2 of base land speed, which fits on a creature-to-creature basis usually. Wouldnt make much sense if a ant could fly 70 ft. in a round or more eh?

Ha, that's right i change it then.

deuxhero
2010-05-17, 03:01 PM
Flight, DR (week DR, but DR) and SR for +1?

I'd go with LA:- or at least 2 myself.

zagan
2010-05-17, 03:24 PM
Flight, DR (week DR, but DR) and SR for +1?

I'd go with LA:- or at least 2 myself.

Flight is need at high level so it's just one less thing spend gp on but that's all.
DR/ magic is really weak nearly everything bypass it.
SR is not that powerfull your must use a standard action to lower it to be affect by allied spell most notably. But I might lower it to 10+HD if other think it's need.

It's perhaps a little more powerful than most of my other template but not by much and certainly not for LA 2.
i'll see how it goes in actual play and if i see that's it's really strong i'll just scale down a few thing.

Still thanks for saying so I appreciate it.

Debihuman
2010-05-17, 05:14 PM
It makes sense for this template to be added to any Creature with the Animal and perhaps, Vermin Type, but it doesn't make sense for the following to gain this template: Constructs, Oozes, and Undead.

I don't see how this template works for Fey, Humanoids, Monstrous Humanoids, and Plants by turning them into Magical Beasts.

There isn't a "Non-Magical Beast" type,

Debby

zagan
2010-05-18, 06:02 AM
It makes sense for this template to be added to any Creature with the Animal and perhaps, Vermin Type, but it doesn't make sense for the following to gain this template: Constructs, Oozes, and Undead.

I don't see how this template works for Fey, Humanoids, Monstrous Humanoids, and Plants by turning them into Magical Beasts.

There isn't a "Non-Magical Beast" type,

Debby

Well there's two argument I can make the mechanic one and the fluff one.

Mechanic: I just want to give to player the possibility to play any type of creature no matter what's their base race.

Fluff: Magical beast are characterize by a strong connection to natural magic.
Giving it to natural creature such as animal, vermin, humanoid, monstrous humanoid or plant change them in such a way so that they become more attune with the natural world and it's magic, they litteraly become magical being.
Fey already have such a connection but it's chaotic in nature a stronger and steadier link allow them to better be in tune with it but this make them different from other fey.
Plant are normally pretty sedate being even the special one that can move, the link change completely their relation with the world giving them greater freedom but again that made them different from other plant.
Constructs are already magical this change in their "power source" made them at the same time weaker and stronger, weaker for becoming living, stronger because they are now part of their surrounding not invader.
Oozes are living only because of some magic this purify and strengthen it they creature of flesh of a sort.
Undead are "living" only from their connection to the negative energy plane this replace it completly and repair them at least in part.
Outsider are already magical but it come from some other plane now instead it come from the natural world around them.
Finally aberation are magical too but it's not stable or organize thie rectify that.

Short version: A wizard did it.

Debihuman
2010-05-18, 01:52 PM
Special abilities: A Wonderful retains all the base creature special abilities.

Special qualities: A Wonderful lose all the trait from it’s previous type but otherwise retains all the base creature special qualities and gain Darvision 60ft, Low light vision, Damage reduction X/magic, Spell resistance X (see below) and Magical Claw.

I think you mean that a Wonderful creature retains its Special Attacks. "Special Abilities" isn't part of the 3.5. stat block. Otherwise creatures like the medusa would lose snakes and poison.

Special Qualities: what if the base creature already has darkvision 60 ft? Does this mean the base creature loses spell-like abilities or are those retained as well. What it has better damage reduction and spell resistance? Should it take the better of the two.

Debby

How does magical claw work for creatures that don't have claws?

zagan
2010-05-18, 02:14 PM
I think you mean that a Wonderful creature retains its Special Attacks. "Special Abilities" isn't part of the 3.5. stat block. Otherwise creatures like the medusa would lose snakes and poison.

I've just check and your right.:smallredface:, I don't know why I use that term.
But I don't want to go back and redo every template, in addition not all special "attack" are attack the exiled template granted dimension door at will that's not an attack.
I think it's still understandable, a medusa wouldn't lose her snakes and poison,
they're "ability" too.

Special Qualities: what if the base creature already has darkvision 60 ft?
That depend from the source of the darkvision if it's from their type like outsider they lose that and gain the one from being a magical beast.
If it's a racial trait like for dwarf they keep it and they have darkvision 60ft twice, the result is the same. It doesn't improve an already existing darkvision.

Does this mean the base creature loses spell-like abilities or are those retained as well. What it has better damage reduction and spell resistance? Should it take the better of the two.

That I need to clarify but the general rule is that they take the better of the two.

How does magical claw work for creatures that don't have claws?

It work on all natural attack not just claw, if they don't have any well they don't benefit from this ability but should they gain one by any mean (spell, power, etc) the bonus apply.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-25, 04:29 PM
Reading these for your game, but just had to say I love that frog. Where's it from?

zagan
2010-05-25, 04:42 PM
Reading these for your game, but just had to say I love that frog. Where's it from?

Like all the other (exept energy) deviantart here's a link (http://kenket.deviantart.com/art/Glig-1568914) to the original.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-25, 04:46 PM
Like all the other (exept energy) deviantart here's a link (http://kenket.deviantart.com/art/Glig-1568914) to the original.

Thank you.