View Full Version : [3.5] Template project: Arthropod template [Peach]

zagan
2010-05-17, 11:07 AM
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/4923/arthtopodimage.jpg
An Arthropod Solar

Arthropod Template:
The Arthropod Template can be add to any non-Vermin:
Size and type: Size remain unchanged, type change to Vermin

Hit Dice: All racial Hit dice (including those gain after the application of this template) become d8

Speed: An Arthropod gain a Climb speed of 10ft or Half is land speed whichever is better.

Armor class: Unchanged

Base Attack Bonus: Bab change to 3/4 racial Hit dice

Attack: An Arthropod gain a poisonned Bite attack

Full attack: An Arthropod can use is bite attack as a secondary attack during full attack with a -5 penality to it’s attack roll

Damage: The bite attack deal damage appropriate for it’s size (1d3 for medium creature) +1,5 Str mod if it’s the creature only natural weapon and used as primary attack, + Str mod if the creature posses other natural attack and use it as a primary attack + 1/2 Str mod if use as a secondary attack
In addition any creature taking damage from the bite is poisonned.(See below for detail)

Special abilities: An Arthropod retains all the base creature special abilities and gain Poison application

Special qualities: An Arthropod lose all the trait from it’s previous type but otherwise retains all the base creature special qualities and gain Darkvsion 60ft and Tremorsense.

Base save Bonus: An Arthropod save change to good Fortitude, the other become poor.

Abilities: Unchanged, Unlike most Vermin Arthropod aren’t Mindless unless the base creature was.

Skills: 2+Int per hit dice (x4 for the first), Climb is always a class skill for an Arthropod, they have +8 racial bonus on climb check, they can take 10 and they can use their dexterity modifiers instead of their strength on them.

Feats: Unchanged

Challenge Rating: +1

Alignement: Same as base creature.

Level adjustement: +1

Poison (Ex): Once per day by taking one minute of concentration an Arthropod can choose what type of poison her bite will inflict for the rest of the day, in all case the DC to resist it is equal to 10 + half Arthropod hit dice + Constitution modifier. The choice of poison are describe in the table below.

{table=head]Initial|Secondary
1d4 Str|1d4 Str
1d4 Dex|1d4 Dex
1d4 Con|1d4 Con
1d3 Int|1d3 Int
1d3 Wis|1d3 Wis
1d3 Cha|1d3 Cha
Fatigued1|Exhausted2
Nothing|Sleep
[/table]
1: For one minute;2: For 1 hour

Tremorsense(Ex): An Arthropod can detect and pinpoint any creature or object within 60 feet in contact with the ground.

Poison application(Ex): One per round as a move action an Arthropod can lick a handheld weapon to apply her poison to it. Any creature taking damage from the weapon is poisonned as normal. If an Arthropod use this ability her bite isn’t poissonous until the next round. An Arthropod never risk poisoning herself when using this ability.

*Note on cosmetic change: The skin of the creature transformed into a chitinous material and their mouth change to grow retractable pincer.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Template Project (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8492255#post8492255)

Designer note:

This is the one I had the most fun with, perhaps too much because it might be a bit strong. The poison is my favorite part.

Rapid climb [Template]
You can climb faster than most other
Prerequisite
Arthropod template, Dex 13
Benefit
Your climb speed increase to equal your land speed

Multiple poison [Template]
You are more adept at using your natural poison
Prerequisite
Arthropod template, Con 13, Craft(Poison) 4 rank
Benefit
When you chose your poison for the day you can instead chose two poison and each time you make a bite attack you decid which one you want to use.

Diversify poison [Template]
Your expertise with poison allow you to produce even more diverse poison
Prerequisite
Arthropod template, Con 15, Craft(Poison) 9 rank, Multiple Poison
Benefit
Add the following option to the poison you can use each morning:
{table=head]Initial|Secondary
Dazzled1|Blinded1
Sickened1|Nauseated1
Confused1|Nothing
Slowed1,2|Nothing
[/table]
1: For one minute, 2:As the spell

Poison immunity [Template]
Your metabolisme allow ignore the poison use by other
Prerequisite
Arthropod template, Con 15
Benefit
You gain immunity to poison

Web [Template]
Like a spider you can create a web
Prerequisite
Arthropod template, Knowledge (nature) 6 rank
Benefit
You use Web as a spell-like ability three time per day. You are immune to the effect of the web you create

A few more feat by sidhe3141: (modified)

Stinger [Template]
You grow a scorpion-like tail.
Prerequisites: Arthropod template, Con 21.
Benefit: You gain a stinger natural attack with identical damage to your bite attack, but dealing piercing damage only.

Hardened Exoskeleton [Template]
Your outer shell becomes more difficult to pierce.
Prerequisites: Arthropod template, Con 17
Benefit: You gain a +2 natural armor bonus.
Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Each time, the Con requirement increases by two. Its effects stack.

radmelon
2010-05-17, 04:59 PM
The poisons are overpowered. Being able to choose each day is too exploitable.:smallfrown: And why does the CON poison do more damage than any of the others?:smallconfused: The opposite should be true. Way better than +1 LA.

demidracolich
2010-05-17, 05:53 PM
mabye mention in the poison application that the arthropod doesn't risk poisioning himself when applying poison. i know its a stupid rule but if you don't mention it, it means it could poison itself with its own poison.

zagan
2010-05-18, 05:14 AM
The poisons are overpowered. Being able to choose each day is too exploitable.:smallfrown: And why does the CON poison do more damage than any of the others?:smallconfused: The opposite should be true. Way better than +1 LA.

Your right 1d6 con is too much I need to correct that I wonder why I put 1d6 for con.
I don't see why chosing poison each day is so exploitable, sure if you know you're going to fight a wizard you can opt for int poison but most of the time you will default to Con damage.
In addition poison immunity is very common and gaining it even temporarily is fairly easy using spell, magic item or other thing.
So no I don't think it's overpowered, I'll have to see it in actual play to judge of course.

mabye mention in the poison application that the arthropod doesn't risk poisioning himself when applying poison. i know its a stupid rule but if you don't mention it, it means it could poison itself with its own poison.

I'll mentionne it your right, better be safe than assume.

radmelon
2010-05-18, 08:58 AM
You are right in hindsight, i was just the CON damage that was ridiculous. Nice template!

sidhe3141
2010-06-15, 07:29 PM
Stinger [Template]
Benefit: You gain a tail slap attack with identical damage to your bite attack (including poison), but half of the damage is considered bludgeoning.

Prerequisites: Arthropod template, Con 23, Toughness.
Benefit: You gain DR 1/energy.
Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Each time, the Con requirement increases by two. Its effects stack.

Volthawk
2010-06-16, 01:06 AM
Stinger [Template]
Benefit: You gain a tail slap attack with identical damage to your bite attack (including poison), but half of the damage is considered bludgeoning.

So the Stinger feat doesn't give you a sting attack?

radmelon
2010-06-16, 08:59 AM
And does the stinger have to be scorpion-like?

zagan
2010-06-16, 09:11 AM
Stinger [Template]

Stinger normally deal piercing damage otherwise nice feat.

Prerequisites: Arthropod template, Con 23, Toughness.
Benefit: You gain DR 1/energy.

DR /energy doesn't exist, it's energy resistance plus the prereq suck for only DR 1, still the idea is nice i will adapt it.

sidhe3141
2010-06-18, 09:18 PM
Stinger normally deal piercing damage otherwise nice feat.

DR /energy doesn't exist, it's energy resistance plus the prereq suck for only DR 1, still the idea is nice i will adapt it.

Actually, Hardened Exoskeleton would work better as an improved natural armor bonus in hindsight. The idea of "DR, overcome by energy" was that clubs, arrows, and blades will bounce off of the giant toughened insect, but just having a stronger shell doesn't make you any less susceptible to getting boiled or frozen solid.

zagan
2010-06-19, 06:14 AM
Actually, Hardened Exoskeleton would work better as an improved natural armor bonus in hindsight. The idea of "DR, overcome by energy" was that clubs, arrows, and blades will bounce off of the giant toughened insect, but just having a stronger shell doesn't make you any less susceptible to getting boiled or frozen solid.

You're right that might be better.