PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Strange vs. Superman

Callos_DeTerran
2006-05-29, 12:12 AM
Knock yourselves out comic fanboys.

Dhavaer
2006-05-29, 12:34 AM
Assuming Dr Strange is who I think he is (Sorcerer Supreme), I think he wins. Superman is pretty weak against magic.

Haggis_McCrablice
2006-05-29, 12:42 AM
There are actually two Dr. Stranges: a wizard in the Marvel universe and an unpleasant fellow who figured out Batman's identity in the DC universe. Either one might make an interesting conflict for Big Blue: one a man of magic, the other of science. The latter was slated for an appearance in Justice League but was nixed due to the Bat-Embargo.

Serina_Spellbinder
2006-05-29, 12:44 AM
Dr. Strange conjures some kryptonite, forcing Superman to retreat. :P

sun_tzu
2006-05-29, 01:16 AM
If Strange attacks first, Superman is toast.
If Superman attacks first using his superspeed...Then I guess it depends on what defenses Strange has. Not familiar enough with the character to judge.

charik
2006-05-29, 01:22 AM
Dr Strange was always one of my favorites, so I'm sure he wins. :)

Ing
2006-05-29, 03:12 AM
ah the battle of the Deux Ex machinas

Kish
2006-05-29, 04:34 AM
I didn't think I was going to post to one of these, but what do you know? This one actually interests me.

I'm seeing most of the advantages here going to Dr. Strange. Superman's completely vulnerable to magic.

If a Superman who is badly enough warped by something that he's willing to use lethal force ambushes Strange when Strange has no reason to think he's in danger, Superman wins. If a Strange who is badly enough warped by something that he's willing to use lethal force ambushes Superman when Superman has no reason to think he's in danger, Strange wins.

If both Superman and Strange turn into sociopaths who consider each other enemies while they're standing ten feet away from each other looking at each other, it's entirely a matter of who reacts first.

If both Superman and Strange turn into sociopaths who consider each other enemies while there's anywhere from a building to a hemisphere between them, Superman flies toward Strange's last known location and starts scanning for him with X-ray vision, while Strange makes himself invisible and pinpoints Superman's location with a spell. Superman is dead meat.

If they both retain their basic moral structures and each becomes convinced the other is a villain who needs to be stopped, assuming neither is allowed to call in outside help, Strange wins because he can actually render Superman helpless without hurting him, and Superman can't render Strange helpless without killing or crippling him. Superman might knock Strange out for a while if he got the drop on him, but as soon as Strange woke up the tables would be turned. (Of course, Superman might also, being used to enemies who are either physically superhuman themselves or no kind of threat to him, hit Strange too hard and kill him or put him in a coma. However, I don't think Superman would consider that a victory, especially when he learned he'd killed a hero, not a villain.)

KayJay
2006-05-29, 09:51 AM
I'd give this to Superman, if they both started at the same time- Dr Strange may be powerful, but he actually needs to say most of his incantations, making him inherently slower than Superman by far. Not to mention a lot of his incantations use his hands, so he'd be easily neutralised .

It should also be noted that Superman isn't actually extra susceptible to magic... it just bypasses most of his invulnerability, which is against physical attacks. He's withstood magic attacks before (and blasts that would kill others), they've just hurt a lot.

ed
2006-05-29, 10:12 AM
dr. strange wins b/c supes has no defenses against magic. and besides, captain whitebread is not going to out-think someone who's outwitted demons.

ed

Skyserpent
2006-05-29, 12:10 PM
Supes has outbeat-the-crap-out-of Demons...

CelestialStick
2006-05-29, 12:49 PM
I'm not even familiar with Dr. Strange, but he autowins anyway, and here's why:

1. Superman is weak, stupid, and ineffectual.
2. Everyone in the cosmos knows that Superman is vulnerable to both kryptonite and magic.
3. Kryptonite is available at your corner convenience store (which is why, incidentally, you never see Clark Kent shopping there).
4. Superman hasn't over the decades defeated scores of people armed with kryptonite and magic.
5. If Strange turns invisible, Superman, whose superhearing makes Daredevil's look like deafness, will not hear Strange coming.

Have I missed anything? ::)

Tarlonniel
2006-05-29, 01:08 PM

Yes.
6. Given sufficient prep time, Batman shows up and powns them both :D

sun_tzu
2006-05-29, 02:08 PM
I'm not even familiar with Dr. Strange, but he autowins anyway, and here's why:

1. Superman is weak, stupid, and ineffectual.
2. Everyone in the cosmos knows that Superman is vulnerable to both kryptonite and magic.
3. Kryptonite is available at your corner convenience store (which is why, incidentally, you never see Clark Kent shopping there).
4. Superman hasn't over the decades defeated scores of people armed with kryptonite and magic.
5. If Strange turns invisible, Superman, whose superhearing makes Daredevil's look like deafness, will not hear Strange coming.

1)Er...Actually, Superman is supposedly a pretty smart guy (Clarck Kent wouldn't be much of a journalist otherwise), and HAS relied on cleverness in battle before.
2)Everyone in the DC cosmos, sure. Marvel's another matter.
3)See above.
4)Er...I'm not a comic History buff, but I think he actually has.
5)Superman's speed isn't on Flash's level, but close. He could actually feel his way around to find Strange, and cover a large area in the blink of an eye. Seriously, never underestimate speed as a super-power.

KayJay
2006-05-29, 03:23 PM
1)Er...Actually, Superman is supposedly a pretty smart guy (Clarck Kent wouldn't be much of a journalist otherwise), and HAS relied on cleverness in battle before.
2)Everyone in the DC cosmos, sure. Marvel's another matter.
3)See above.
4)Er...I'm not a comic History buff, but I think he actually has.
5)Superman's speed isn't on Flash's level, but close. He could actually feel his way around to find Strange, and cover a large area in the blink of an eye. Seriously, never underestimate speed as a super-power.
Uh... did you just miss the unbelievably blatant sarcasm in the last post? :o

lol.

nothingclever
2006-05-29, 03:45 PM
It's really a tie.

Superman wins if it's a spontaneous sudden death fight with little space between them because he'd just tackle him with superspeed or blast him before Strange could react assuming he had no special defences active.

If both planned ahead of time Strange wins because he has so many different powers and plot devices to rely on. He basically can do anything imaginable as he gets his power from a trinity of Gods and any affect he produces with magic we haven't seen before can just be one of his many unknown powers he never had a reason to use.

In the end when wikis are compared Strange totally owns him.

Millikin_Erreene
2006-05-29, 05:12 PM
"Superman wins if it's a spontaneous sudden death fight with little space between them because he'd just tackle him with superspeed or blast him before Strange could react assuming he had no special defences active."

Dr. Strange always has at least a minimal deflective shielding around his person. (This can be magically dispelled or expended from a moderately powerful attack though.) Dr. Strange also carries the Eye of Agamatto and his Cloak of Levitation on his person at all times. The cloak itself is indestructible, grants the ability of flight, and responds to Strange's mental commands which he often uses as an extra set of hands. The Eye of Agamatto opens dimensional portals, sees through all illusions and lies, grants the bearer telepathic and telekinetic powers, and can create post-cognitive images of events that happened in the area its possessor is currently located.

Dr. Strange wins because he is a consummate deux ex machina character. He survived Thanos slaying half the universe with the Infinity Gauntlet and remembered all the events as they transpired even after the Living Tribunal undid events. However, he was utterly incapable of stopping the Scarlet Witch from rewriting history and subsequently restoring it and stripping away the powers of over 90% of the mutant population.

Ing
2006-05-29, 10:00 PM
Strange has all the vast power of PLOT at his displosal!!!

Rex_Hondo
2006-05-30, 02:05 AM
Well, even if Superman develops a sudden, irrational mad-on for the Sorceror supreme, if Strange is at home (which he usually is unless some cosmic threat is brewing) isn't his brownstone a) magically concealed from those with ill intent, and b) otherwise magically shielded from direct attack? Been a while, but it would make sense, considering he makes a habit of tweaking trans-dimensional baddies.

TheDrWes
2007-11-12, 04:41 AM
First of all Dr. Strange has the the Eye of Agamotto, which gives him the ability to basically read minds. Big Advantage.
Second of all Dr. Strange has the power to make a pocket dimension, this is answered in the marvel vs. dc special comic series. Dr. Strange can in fact throw Superman into an alternate dimension.
Third of all if superman kills that dr. strange, obviously superman hasn’t learned that Dr. Strange has died before, then escaped death.
Fourth of all dr. strange could just make superman think he was a chimichanga on a stick.
Last of all they are both hero’s and they would not fight each other, thus Dr. Strange would disciple Superman into becoming the sorcerer supreme… maybe not.

WitchSlayer
2007-11-12, 04:48 AM
I would say Dr. Strange normally... but the Hulk more or less beat Strange by breaking his hands. I say advantage Superman.

kpenguin
2007-11-12, 04:50 AM
Unfortunately, although Dr. Strange is a genius and brilliant psycologist, he's no match for Supes in a straight-up fight.

GoC
2007-11-12, 12:47 PM
If both Superman and Strange turn into sociopaths who consider each other enemies while they're standing ten feet away from each other looking at each other, it's entirely a matter of who reacts first.
iow: Superman.

If they both retain their basic moral structures and each becomes convinced the other is a villain who needs to be stopped, assuming neither is allowed to call in outside help, Strange wins because he can actually render Superman helpless without hurting him, and Superman can't render Strange helpless without killing or crippling him. Superman might knock Strange out for a while if he got the drop on him, but as soon as Strange woke up the tables would be turned.
I believe giving Dr. Strange an IV drip with a strong sedative wouldn't be beyond sup's abilities.
I'd still give it to Strange because he probably has some sort of scrying spell and an extradimensional home.

Agreed on everything else though.

Gundato
2007-11-12, 01:07 PM
It is the classic Barbarian Vs Wizard debate.

The Wizard will win (no matter what) if given enough time to prepare.

If the Wizard is not given time to prepare, he gets the living hell beaten out of him before he can get up any defense worth mentioning.

Same thing here. Unless Strange ambushes Superman (or at least is given a day or two to prepare for the battle), Superman just breaks Strange's hands and then sodomizes him. Otherwise, Superman is defeated by a spell that roughly translates to "Make Superman's Kidneys explode" that Stevie just happened to be saving for a rainy day.

Jerthanis
2007-11-12, 03:33 PM
Supes has fought to within an inch of his life sorcerers capable of destroying Metropolis... has come within an inch of dying and had the gumption to keep going and try one last gambit to succeed. He overcomes his weakness to magic with brains, determination, and luck... but he's never fought someone on Strange's level before. Strange can look cosmic entities in the eye and not blink. He can directly and successfully oppose the energies of the Infinity Gauntlet. He can best a fallen Falteen in pure magical duels. His is no hedge magic.

However, there are two additional factors which I believe decide the match moreso than Strange's raw talent. Superman's tendency to start battles only using enough force to knock out a normal man. He holds back his true strength every moment of every day, and would punch Strange just hard enough to knock a normal man out at first. Strange, as Sorcerer Supreme, has a body which is hardier than most people, and has an incredible ability to focus beyond pain, and to ignore little inconveniences like a sword through his chest, and move around minutes after invasive surgery, and maintain coherance and competence (though not spellcasting ability) despite shattered hands. (Seriously, think about how painful it'd be to have your hands broken that way... Strange is just rolling with it)

So here's how it goes in my mind, Superman goes faster than a speeding bullet and punches Strange, expecting that to be the end. Then he hears an incantation and the Crimson Bands of Cytorakk are holding him in place, and all the strength in the world won't save him. Perhaps on a subsequent match he'd be able to win based on disabling Strange's hands or just punching a little harder... and maybe if Dr. Strange were a monologuing villain it'd give Supes a chance to figure out an escape.

TheMeanDM
2007-11-12, 03:57 PM
Well now...

Mordru is the DC equivalent of Dr. Strange, no?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordru

I don't recall Superman ever fighting Mordru 1 on 1...so it'd be interesting to see.

However, he has taken punches from Power Girl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Girl), as the article says, and suffered no ill effects.

Any idea of Strange can "mimic" some of Mordru's powers? I don't know...but if he could, then he could defeat Superman in single combat.

GoC
2007-11-12, 06:50 PM
So here's how it goes in my mind, Superman goes faster than a speeding bullet and punches Strange, expecting that to be the end.

Then realises Strange is still concious and about to speak so he punches him again a millisecond later. Nope, still moving. Punches a bit harder. Is he unconcious yet? Nope. Repeat til the oponent is neutralized.

Or he could just gag Strange.

TheMeanDM: Remove the stupid phobia and you've got what Strange would be if his writers used every single power they've ever given him.

new1965
2007-11-12, 08:30 PM
Totally depends on what universe they are in as the power levels are totally different.

Magic and the supernatural in the DCU seems a LOT more potent than it is in the MU and Superman held his own against and arch angel.

In the MU, his counterparts Hyperion and Gladiator aren't even the most powerful hero's walking around

T.Titan
2007-11-13, 07:12 AM
I would say Dr. Strange normally... but the Hulk more or less beat Strange by breaking his hands. I say advantage Superman.

Yeah, but Hulk had to trick Strange to get close enough...

I'm seeing most of the advantages here going to Dr. Strange. Superman's completely vulnerable to magic.

And by "completely vulnerable" they mean "able to take a magic hammer to the face with only a nosebleed when a normal person would have it's brain splattered all over the sky".

Gundato
2007-11-13, 07:29 AM
With Superman, a nosebleed DOES count as "totally vulnerable"

Logic
2007-11-13, 08:17 AM
Unfortunately, your point here needs to be more clearly defined. Are you vulnerable to bullets? You might say yes, but are you more vulnerable to bullets than most other bipedal creatures? In this instance, not so much. Superman is as vulnerable to magic as your random civilian in the DC universe.

There is no arguing that Superman is vulnerable to Kryptonite under this line of reasoning, as it is nearly harmless to humans, yet a decisive factor in nearly all of Superman's defeats.

philippos
2007-11-13, 09:02 AM
I think this would all come down to whomsoever was writing the story, and the plot behind which of them needed to win....

sealemon
2007-11-13, 11:13 AM
Let's see: Dr. Strange has power levels in the Silly Range. He his magic's avatar.

Superman though, despite having no real resistance to magic as opposed to other forces, has nevertheless fought countless magical threats, including having several fights with Captain Marvel. He's also fought against Black Adam, who is supposed to be even tougher than Marvel.

He's also taken a facefull of Etrigan's hellfire and was not nearly as hurt as a normal person would be.

My prediction?

If Superman remembers he has superspeed, it goes to him. Otherwise, Strange.

Green Bean
2007-11-13, 06:30 PM
Unfortunately, your point here needs to be more clearly defined. Are you vulnerable to bullets? You might say yes, but are you more vulnerable to bullets than most other bipedal creatures? In this instance, not so much. Superman is as vulnerable to magic as your random civilian in the DC universe.

There is no arguing that Superman is vulnerable to Kryptonite under this line of reasoning, as it is nearly harmless to humansm, yet a decisive factor in nearly all of Superman's defeats.

Thank you! For some strange reason, people seem to be under the impression that magic is some sort of uber-weakness. It's actually similar to Batman and things like poisons; technically, he's as vulnerable as the next guy, but since he's a hero and Will Not Stop (tm), functionally he's pretty resistant.

Gundato
2007-11-13, 06:40 PM
I think the argument is for relative vulnerability.

Superman is insanely resistant to almost everything. The fact that magic actually seems to work somewhat well may not mean he is particularly vulnerable to it, but it DOES count as a weakness, if only because it is easier to list the things he is vulnerable to than those he has insane damage resistances towards.

Hamster_Ninja
2007-11-28, 08:03 PM
He's also taken a facefull of Etrigan's hellfire and was not nearly as hurt as a normal person would be.

The only problem with examples like this is that it assumes Strange is going to just be conjuring up lightning bolts and fire blasts, theres no reason Strange has to be limited to blaster type powers- the powers that Supes insane physical resistences protect him from. Yeah, he's resistant to magical hammers and the like, because they basically just create a huge damaging force, which is right up Supermans alley. But if Strange uses his powers more creatively, like conjuring up the Crimson Bands of Cyytorok to bind him, or using mental attacks to take him down, or even just magicking up some kryptonite, bam Supes goes down, and being both a master of magics and a very intelligent man who's been around for long enough to learn something about really strong heros and how futile physical attacks usually are against them, its not a big leap of logic to assume Strange sees Superman and thinks to use non-physical attacks.

Leewei
2007-11-28, 11:48 PM
Dr. Strange has ready access to realities where a yellow sun has never shone. Superman is super strong, super fast and nigh-invulnerable. I agree with those saying that it all depends on how much time they have to react to each other.

docstrange
2007-11-29, 11:10 PM
Well, I suppose I must by definition comment on this thread...

BY THE HOARY HOSTS OF HOGGOTH! I CAST THE ALL-PENETRATING LOGIC OF LOQUIZZAQUODDIL!

The defining nature of Dr. Strange's struggles is that he fights beings even more powerful than he on a regular basis - gods and near-gods the likes of Shuma-Gorath and Dormammu. He wins by clever use of the powers he has and an indominatable willpower.

Superman on the other hand is presented as the strongest of all, and only contrivances such as kryptonite and the vulnerability of Lois Lane ever cause him a serious challenge. The defining nature of the typical silver age Superman story is the wonderment of what ridiculous power he is going to pull out of his perfectly smooth butt next.

Therefore Dr. Strange is morally superior. Oh, and he's the Sorceror Supreme- the best magician in his universe, and constantly tested as such. It's well known that Superman has no magic resistance.

The only chance Superman would have would be to use super-speed to clobber Dr. Strange in a sneak attack before the fight started. But if he did that...

...he wouldn't be Superman, would he?

Green Bean
2007-11-29, 11:21 PM
Superman on the other hand is presented as the strongest of all, and only contrivances such as kryptonite and the vulnerability of Lois Lane ever cause him a serious challenge. The defining nature of the typical silver age Superman story is the wonderment of what ridiculous power he is going to pull out of his perfectly smooth butt next.

That may have been true in the Silver Age, but unless I've accidentally travelled through time, the Silver Age is pretty much over. Superman is far from the most powerful being in DC. There's a crapload of folks who are more than capable of beating him in a fair fight.

T.Titan
2007-11-30, 08:57 AM
That may have been true in the Silver Age, but unless I've accidentally travelled through time, the Silver Age is pretty much over. Superman is far from the most powerful being in DC. There's a crapload of folks who are more than capable of beating him in a fair fight.

Yeah, people keep saying that in the comics... and yet when they do fight he always wins.

Green Bean
2007-11-30, 09:25 AM
Yeah, people keep saying that in the comics... and yet when they do fight he always wins.

Weird, huh? It's almost like that can apply to most fictional protagonists.

mroozee
2007-11-30, 12:09 PM
Dr. Strange is way too smart to try to hurt Superman. Strange would know that if he ever fought Supes, he might win, and then Batman would come looking for him.

By the way, if Superman is so smart, why doesn't he learn at least a little magic to help him deal with the Bizarros of the world?

docstrange
2007-11-30, 12:25 PM
In the interest of full disclosure I should point out that Dr. Strange does get knocked unconscious by an ordinary blow to the head with alarming regularity. Really, it's the only option writers feel they have sometimes to avoid the Doc running away with the plot. More creative writers can and have written situations where Dr. Strange is temporarily outmaneuvered by someone else's exploit.

Anyway I think it comes down to this: for Superman to win he'd have to cripple or kill Dr. Strange - otherwise Strange simply slips into another dimension where Superman cannot follow, preps, and then comes back to win.

Dr. Strange has a number of ways to win limited only by his considerable imaginative powers. I think that Superman could break out of the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak, since I believe the Hulk has done so- but this spell and so many others in the arsenal would buy Dr. Strange time to find a permanent solution: such as bringing the fight to a red sun dimension, transmuting something into kryptonite, entering Superman's mind and shutting it down, etc, etc.

docstrange
2007-11-30, 12:28 PM
I think the comments on this thread are overwhelmingly in favor of a Dr. Strange victory. Thank you for your support! :smallbiggrin:

I think a more interesting battle would be between GL Hal Jordan and Dr. Strange. Green Lantern, like Strange, has the ability to do pretty much anything he imagines, and like Strange he is renowned for his indominitable wilpower.

I give GL the edge on willpower, and Strange the edge on power since GL is limited to the physical dimension. This battle is IMO MUCH more even than Strange vs. Superman.

Jerthanis
2007-11-30, 04:05 PM
I'd just like to point out that if Superman can't be beaten by Doctor Strange, he's not actually vulnerable to Magic at all. Because if Magical Mojo on the level of our good Doctor can't stand a chance against Supes, we may as well just declare Superman the victor to all contests regardless of all factors.

It's like saying Superman can lift a mountain made of Kryptonite or something... and that's just stupid. :smalltongue:

Green Bean
2007-11-30, 04:17 PM
I'd just like to point out that if Superman can't be beaten by Doctor Strange, he's not actually vulnerable to Magic at all. Because if Magical Mojo on the level of our good Doctor can't stand a chance against Supes, we may as well just declare Superman the victor to all contests regardless of all factors.

Like so very many Batman threads have said, all the power in the world isn't all that useful if you can't use it. For instance, if Strange were to somehow have his hands broken, perhaps by someone with super-strength. It's been done before, by a guy who doesn't have super-speed.

It's like saying Superman can lift a mountain made of Kryptonite or something... and that's just stupid. :smalltongue:

Now you're just being crazy. :smalltongue:

Mr. Mud
2007-12-03, 05:08 PM
I'm Farrrrr form a marvel expert ( :smalleek: ), but couldn't Doctor Strange transport the Man of Steel to some far off dimension filled with Kryptonite, or some of the sort?:smallconfused:

Green Bean
2007-12-03, 05:41 PM
I'm Farrrrr form a marvel expert ( :smalleek: ), but couldn't Doctor Strange transport the Man of Steel to some far off dimension filled with Kryptonite, or some of the sort?:smallconfused:

Yes, in the exact same manner that Superman can simply rip Batman's head off.

docstrange
2007-12-04, 05:00 PM
Yes, in the exact same manner that Superman can simply rip Batman's head off.

Quite true. But as I've pointed out before, both of these guys are heroes and would therefore go with non-lethal methods only: Dr. Strange has a huge number of non-lethal ways to take down Superman compared to ways Superman can take down Strange and still be in-character. Ripping heads off, crushing hands... that's the Hulk.

As far as tossing people into other dimensions... I've seen Strange do it in the comics: once when suprised by Spider-Man, he tossed him into another dimension while he figured out how to handle the situation, then brought him back when he was ready.

Green Bean
2007-12-04, 05:17 PM
Quite true. But as I've pointed out before, both of these guys are heroes and would therefore go with non-lethal methods only: Dr. Strange has a huge number of non-lethal ways to take down Superman compared to ways Superman can take down Strange and still be in-character. Ripping heads off, crushing hands... that's the Hulk.

There's always Super-breath. Can't cast spells if you can't move your fingers. :smallbiggrin:

GoC
2007-12-04, 10:25 PM
There's always Super-breath. Can't cast spells if you can't move your fingers. :smallbiggrin:

If we're talking about silver age sups then not even the Living tribunal with Squirrel Girl as backup could beat him.

horseboy
2007-12-05, 02:07 AM
Dr. Strange became a magician because he broke his fingers and couldn't be a neuro-surgeon anymore. A broken hand won't stop him. Nope, he'd just slip to the Astral, and hit him with some Montessi-style spell formula that would turn him into an ordinary mortal.

I'm sorry, but Strange took on most of the Cthulthu mythos and won back in his Defender days. There's just nothing that Supes can do on that scale.

GoC
2007-12-05, 11:33 AM
Dr. Strange became a magician because he broke his fingers and couldn't be a neuro-surgeon anymore. A broken hand won't stop him. Nope, he'd just slip to the Astral, and hit him with some Montessi-style spell formula that would turn him into an ordinary mortal.

WWH appears to contradict this but then again the whole idea of Hulk beating Strange is stupid. btw: while Strange was incapacitated whatever happened to all the monster he defends reality from?
Did they take a break too?
A lot of them can also go incorporeal so Hulk would be helpless against them as they turn him into a pile of goo or suck out his soul.

Cryptrat
2007-12-05, 11:54 AM
I blame the whole "Dr. Strange gets his hands broken and can't use his magic anymore" on storytelling. For the storyline it seemed a good idea so someone at Marvel said 'run with it, character ability be danged.'

In a battle between Doctor Strange and Superman, if both of them knew that the other was coming for them and both of them were acting as they do with most of their comic appearances I think Doctor Strange would win.

He has the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak to slow Supes down some, and enough combat experience dealing with beings far more powerful than him to likely be able to slow Superman down enough for him to find some way to incapacitate him at his leisure. As was mentioned before he could send Superman to more than one place without a sun to power him and simply wait him out or use his powers more creatively to simply remove him from reality. For the most part, the "Sorceror Supreme" of Marvel Earth is about as powerful in many regards as the Spectre of DC Earth for shows of magical ability. If you disregard the incantations, anyhow.

If Superman had the upper hand and Doctor Strange did not know he was on his way, it's an easy bet to make that Superman would win.

He could suck all the air away, he could take him somewhere where he could not speak, or *groan* he could break his hands. Doctor Strange has plenty of experience fighting on the battlefield when he's prepared while there are few people more able to manipulate the battlefield while fighting then Superman at least as the comics seem to show him. Doctor Strange is no slouch in that regards, but without proper preparation he'd be reacting rather than acting.

There would be no fight if Doctor Strange was after Superman and Supes did not know he was coming. How often is he fooled by Mr. Mxyzptlk when he didn't see it coming? Every time. Doctor Strange would be able to beat him so quickly it wouldn't even warrant a comic book cover.

GoC
2007-12-05, 01:08 PM
I blame the whole "Dr. Strange gets his hands broken and can't use his magic anymore" on storytelling. For the storyline it seemed a good idea so someone at Marvel said 'run with it, character ability be danged.'

In a battle between Doctor Strange and Superman, if both of them knew that the other was coming for them and both of them were acting as they do with most of their comic appearances I think Doctor Strange would win.

That depends on whether Superman remembers he has Superspeed.:smallannoyed:

To repeat my question: Whatever happened to the monsters from the far realms?

docstrange
2007-12-05, 01:24 PM
That depends on whether Superman remembers he has Superspeed.:smallannoyed:

To repeat my question: Whatever happened to the monsters from the far realms?

They knew that Chuck Norris was still around.

luagha
2007-12-05, 10:08 PM
It's fairly obvious that the fight goes back and forth for several pages, with Supes battering Dr. Strange around (who manages to shield himself 'just in time') and with Superman alternately shrugging off, breaking through, or powering through anything Dr. Strange can do to him.

Finally Dr. Strange manages to delay Superman long enough to concentrate on the Eye of Agamotto, and penetrates into the obvious mind-control spell that is making Superman fight another hero. Once he disables that spell (which only a Sorceror Supreme could do) the day is saved. Then they can both go team up against the villain who did it to Superman.

Superman will demonstrate himself to be substantially more powerful when fighitng evil than when fighting Dr. Strange. Dr. Strange must comment about how Superman 'must have been holding back subconsciously, fighting the spell all along. I don't know if I would have survived him at this full strength."

docstrange
2007-12-05, 10:14 PM
It's fairly obvious that the fight goes back and forth for several pages, with Supes battering Dr. Strange around (who manages to shield himself 'just in time') and with Superman alternately shrugging off, breaking through, or powering through anything Dr. Strange can do to him.

Finally Dr. Strange manages to delay Superman long enough to concentrate on the Eye of Agamotto, and penetrates into the obvious mind-control spell that is making Superman fight another hero. Once he disables that spell (which only a Sorceror Supreme could do) the day is saved. Then they can both go team up against the villain who did it to Superman.

Superman will demonstrate himself to be substantially more powerful when fighitng evil than when fighting Dr. Strange. Dr. Strange must comment about how Superman 'must have been holding back subconsciously, fighting the spell all along. I don't know if I would have survived him at this full strength."

Sure, that's how it would play in the comics - and it'd be a darn good read too - but we want RESOLUTION, man! A result other than, "aw, they're both such nice heroes." Otherwise, about what would fanboys and fangirls natter ceaselessly?

Anyway, you did absolutely nail the way it would go in the comics; very Avengers-JLA crossover. I particularly thought the last line you gave to Dr. Strange was a nice touch.