PDA

View Full Version : Spiderman v. Superman

CelestialStick
2006-05-27, 12:39 PM
Ok, who wins when? Or should I ask, "are there any circumstances under which Spiderman wins this one?" :D

Jibar
2006-05-27, 12:40 PM
Spiderman.
I have my own reasons, but for anyone wondering, me and Spidey are on good terms, and me and a certain Doctor are also on good terms as well...

CelestialStick
2006-05-27, 12:47 PM
Spiderman.
I have my own reasons, but for anyone wondering, me and Spidey are on good terms, and me and a certain Doctor are also on good terms as well...
I don't get the Doctor reference. Doctor Who? ;-)

Holy_Knight
2006-05-27, 02:32 PM
Superman, no contest.

--Barring obscene anounts of kryptonite or some ridicuous plot device, anyway. But yeah, Superman.

Dr._Weird
2006-05-27, 03:32 PM
I don't get the Doctor reference. Doctor Who? ;-)

Nope. Me.

(I'd have to guess Doctor Who though)

Spiderman wins on coolness/witty banter, Superman grinds Spiderman into a webby paste in a fight.

Jibar
2006-05-27, 03:39 PM
No, I meant a certain Dr. who tangles with someone named Reed.
But I am also friends with the Doctor. And he would win as well, so either one is good.

CelestialStick
2006-05-27, 05:14 PM
Superman, no contest.

--Barring obscene anounts of kryptonite or some ridicuous plot device, anyway. But yeah, Superman.
That's what I figured too, but then that's what I figured about Superman and Batman until I read that thread and saw all the people claiming that Batman not only would wins hands down but had done repeatedly in comics I've never read. So as far as I knew, there could be comics I've never read where Spiderman wins hands down too! :)

That's what I figured too, but then that's what I figured about Superman and Batman until I read that thread and saw all the people claiming that Batman not only would wins hands down but had done repeatedly in comics I've never read. So as far as I knew, there could be comics I've never read where Spiderman wins hands down too! :)

Nope. Me.

(I'd have to guess Doctor Who though)

Spiderman wins on coolness/witty banter, Superman grinds Spiderman into a webby paste in a fight.
LOL. Actually I have an image in my mind of Spiderman punching Superman and hurting his hand an the process. Superman just stands there with his arms folded across his chest while Spidey winces in pain, shaking out his injured hand, and then (Superman) says, "Come on now. I mean, I'm Superman. :D

No, I meant a certain Dr. who tangles with someone named Reed.
But I am also friends with the Doctor. And he would win as well, so either one is good.
I confess I just don't know what you two are talking about. Who is Reed and what do he and Dr. Weird have to do with Spiderman?

KayJay
2006-05-27, 05:24 PM
I hear Spiderman won against Superboy in a "vote for the winner" type comic, but apart from some freak miracle, Superman has this in the bag. Spiderman tends to exploit his aerial ability to keep away from tough enemies- this is easily enough neutralised when your opponent can fly extremely well (better than vulture/hobgoblin anyway).
The only thing I think may have any effect is if his stingers can be considered magic-based, as they might actually be able to do something against Superman. I don't think it gives him much more than a miniscule chance though .

SumGuy
2006-05-27, 05:43 PM
I hear Spiderman won against Superboy in a "vote for the winner" type comic, but apart from some freak miracle, Superman has this in the bag. Spiderman tends to exploit his aerial ability to keep away from tough enemies- this is easily enough neutralised when your opponent can fly extremely well (better than vulture/hobgoblin anyway).
The only thing I think may have any effect is if his stingers can be considered magic-based, as they might actually be able to do something against Superman. I don't think it gives him much more than a miniscule chance though .

This happened when Superboy was weak compared to superman, not to mention rather inexperianced.

It should also be noted that it was Ben Riley, not Peter Parker, who soundly defeated Superboy. Can you say webbing to the eyes?

CelestialStick
2006-05-27, 05:59 PM
This happened when Superboy was weak compared to superman, not to mention rather inexperianced.

It should also be noted that it was Ben Riley, not Peter Parker, who soundly defeated Superboy. Can you say webbing to the eyes?
Who is Ben Riley?

Doesn't Superboy have heat vision too? Why couldn't he just burn away the webs to the eyes?

Why were they fighting anyway?

Dhavaer
2006-05-27, 07:10 PM
Spiderman was fighting Superboy is the DC/Marvel crossover.
Superman and Spiderman did fight, quite some time ago. Superman won, even though Spiderman was beefed up by being infused with 'red sun energy' or some such nonsense.
Either way, it let him attack Superman without hurting himself, and slowly drained Superman's powers. Supes still won. After it wore off, and they shook hands, Spidey's hand was a little crushed.

CelestialStick
2006-05-27, 07:31 PM
Spiderman was fighting Superboy is the DC/Marvel crossover.
Superman and Spiderman did fight, quite some time ago. Superman won, even though Spiderman was beefed up by being infused with 'red sun energy' or some such nonsense.
Either way, it let him attack Superman without hurting himself, and slowly drained Superman's powers. Supes still won. After it wore off, and they shook hands, Spidey's hand was a little crushed.
Heh. That's almost like the image I had in my mind! :D

So why were they fighting anyway? Did the red sun energy control Spiderman or something?

Dhavaer
2006-05-27, 07:52 PM
It was part of Lex Luthor's and Doc Oc's mind control ray.

CelestialStick
2006-05-27, 08:28 PM
It was part of Lex Luthor's and Doc Oc's mind control ray.
Which one of them did they control--Spiderman or Superman? How did the control end?

Orion-the-G
2006-05-27, 08:30 PM
It depends on which universe the two fight in.

If superman is transported to the marvel universe, then he will win. No possibility otherwise so long as it is a one on one fight. Krypton would not even exist in Marvel universe.

If spiderman is transported to the DC universe then he would win. One of the rules of the DC universe is that any serious opponent of superman's automatically has acess to large amounts of kryptonite. And since spiderman is a hero he would not suffer from the villian's 'fatal flaw in my master plan' syndrome which normally allows superman to suceed in these situations.

CelestialStick
2006-05-27, 08:31 PM
It depends on which universe the two fight in.

If superman is transported to the marvel universe, then he will win. No possibility otherwise so long as it is a one on one fight. Krypton would not even exist in Marvel universe.

If spiderman is transported to the DC universe then he would win. One of the rules of the DC universe is that any serious opponent of superman's automatically has acess to large amounts of kryptonite. And since spiderman is a hero he would not suffer from the villian's 'fatal flaw in my master plan' syndrome which normally allows superman to suceed in these situations.
LOL!!!

Dhavaer
2006-05-27, 08:37 PM
Which one of them did they control--Spiderman or Superman? How did the control end?

They controlled Spiderman by making him think that Superman had hurt Mary Jane and Lois, or something like that. It wore off after a while.

Rex_Hondo
2006-05-27, 11:50 PM
If Spiderman's lucky, Superman will be feeling magnanimous and roll with a few punches, preventing him from breaking every bone in his arm.

On the other hand, I haven't read Spidey for quite a while, so is it true what I've heard that his powers have been revealed to be at least partially mystic? If that's so, he might have more of a chance, if Supes does his usual stand there and take it until he realizes it's actually hurting him routine. Even then, I don't know that Spidey can do enough fast enough to take Superman down before he gets annoyed and ends it.

CelestialStick
2006-05-28, 08:46 AM
They controlled Spiderman by making him think that Superman had hurt Mary Jane and Lois, or something like that. It wore off after a while.
Thanks.

If Spiderman's lucky, Superman will be feeling magnanimous and roll with a few punches, preventing him from breaking every bone in his arm.

On the other hand, I haven't read Spidey for quite a while, so is it true what I've heard that his powers have been revealed to be at least partially mystic? If that's so, he might have more of a chance, if Supes does his usual stand there and take it until he realizes it's actually hurting him routine. Even then, I don't know that Spidey can do enough fast enough to take Superman down before he gets annoyed and ends it.

Heh. Look out! Here the Spiderm...ouch! That hurts! ;)

Soniku
2006-05-28, 08:51 AM
If Spiderman knows Superman is comeing he would probly be smart enough to grab some kryptonite, in which case he would probly win.

Otherwise Supermanw would pummel Spiderman

Cause, you know, he can lift mountains and all that.

CelestialStick
2006-05-28, 08:56 AM
If Spiderman knows Superman is comeing he would probly be smart enough to grab some kryptonite, in which case he would probly win.

Otherwise Supermanw would pummel Spiderman

Cause, you know, he can lift mountains and all that.
Rember that Superman has faced and defeated kryptonite armed adversaries repeatedly throughout the years, so it's hardly an automatic mechanism for defeating Superman.

ed
2006-05-28, 10:02 AM
assuming the characters were played in a manner consistent w/ their personalities (e.g., no mind control, etc), i'm inclined to think that supes will always win.

1. supes can always use heat vision, as previously noted but he might not, since he's de facto LG.
2. supes will know spidey is coming (super-senses).
3. super-breath to blow spidey back a few miles. lather, rinse, repeat.

ed

CelestialStick
2006-05-28, 10:19 AM
assuming the characters were played in a manner consistent w/ their personalities (e.g., no mind control, etc), i'm inclined to think that supes will always win.

1. supes can always use heat vision, as previously noted but he might not, since he's de facto LG.
2. supes will know spidey is coming (super-senses).
3. super-breath to blow spidey back a few miles. lather, rinse, repeat.

ed
LOL!!

Belial_the_Leveler
2006-05-28, 05:47 PM
Supes can easily see if someone has Kryptonite on him: X-Ray vision and all that. That's why LL in the Superman movie tricked him in opening a lead box containing Kryptonite.

High-Chancellor
2006-05-28, 09:47 PM
Who is Ben Riley?

Spiderman's clone. Who was also spiderman, for a time.

Sophistemon
2006-05-28, 09:59 PM
That was a good story-arc. Confusing though.

CelestialStick
2006-05-28, 11:11 PM
Spiderman's clone. Who was also spiderman, for a time.
Wait. He's a clone of Peter Parker? How did that happen? What happened to Ben?

Callos_DeTerran
2006-05-28, 11:16 PM
Hm. This wouldn't be AS close as Spiderman vs. Batman but I think Supes would win this (Now I have to go slap myself.)

Granted Spidey has the whole "Spider-sense", which according to Marvel enables him to dodge almost everything. But the keyword there is ALMOST. Eventually Supes would just get frustrated enough I could see him no longer pulling punches. And that would probaly be when Spidey's clinical bad luck kicks in and he gets socked in the face. Which would probaly vaporize his head.

Tack122
2006-05-29, 02:54 AM
perhaps the radioactive spider's radiation has the same properties as kryptonite ;D

CelestialStick
2006-05-29, 08:08 PM
perhaps the radioactive spider's radiation has the same properties as kryptonite ;D

Are they still going with the old radioactive blood for Spiderman? That was a staple back in the 1960s (and immortalized in the Spiderman cartoon series theme song) but it seems kind of silly, so I wonder if they kept it. They didn't mention it in the Spiderman movies of recent years.

In any case, even if it were somehow kryptonite radiation, that wouldn't automatically allow Spiderman to win. First of all it would have to be green kryptonite radiation (only one of at least four types) and secondly it has a very short radius of effect, so it would be easy enough for Superman to stay outside the radius and deal with Spiderman by dropping a building on him, frying him with heat vision, or just literally blowing him away. :D There was an episode of JLU in which Superman kicked Captain Atom's butt, even though Captain Atom duplicated green kryptonite radiation. Boy was Captain Atom surprised when that didn't allow him to automatically beat Superman! :D

Slife
2006-05-29, 09:59 PM
Depends on planning allowed, really. If Spidey was able to douse Superman's super-suit with some sort of sunblock, it would neutralize his powers (hey, it's worked before on Superman's Clark Kent outfit). Barring that, some other superscience, or a lot of kryptonite, I'd say Spidey's toast.

As with the classic Superman vs. Batman, it depends heavily on pre-battle preparation.

Ulicus
2006-05-29, 10:24 PM
Wait. He's a clone of Peter Parker? How did that happen? What happened to Ben?

It doesn't surprise me that you don't know, Marvel have tried to erase the clone saga from the history of Spider-Man (it's NEVER referenced these days, except in MC2... and MC2 is dying, or dead, I've forgotten)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clone_Saga

If you want the full story, and the reasons behind it, then go here:

http://www.newcomicreviews.com/GHM/specials/LifeOfReilly/

Ing
2006-05-29, 11:19 PM
what's MC2...i'm afraid to admit i don't know and i try to keep up on the spider-man at least

Nerd-o-rama
2006-05-29, 11:32 PM
It doesn't surprise me that you don't know, Marvel have tried to erase the clone saga from the history of Spider-Man (it's NEVER referenced these days, except in MC2... and MC2 is dying, or dead, I've forgotten)

Wow. That's the third most confusing thing I've ever read. So much for my moralizing about how Marvel's more consistent and logical than DC. Or it would, if the second-most wan't the summary of Crisis of Infinite Earths.

Rex_Hondo
2006-05-30, 01:51 AM
Heh, never read it, but I remember when the Clone Saga came out, so many Spidey fans were so PISSED. ;D

I can just see Spiderman swinging around just out of Superman's reach and feeling pretty good about himself...

Until Supes heat-visions the webline.

CelestialStick
2006-05-30, 08:09 AM

Thanks. I have to agree with Nerd-O-Rama and say that was incredibly confusing. I might also mention that I'd never heard of Spider-girl before.

Heh, never read it, but I remember when the Clone Saga came out, so many Spidey fans were so PISSED. ;D

I can just see Spiderman swinging around just out of Superman's reach and feeling pretty good about himself...

Until Supes heat-visions the webline.

That would of course be funny, but not really necessary. Spiderman can manage to outrun cars on a clogged street, so he can go a whole whopping 30 mph. Hey, let's be generous and say that he can beat out a car going fast on a highway, and say he can go 100 mph.

Superman can move so fast that the human eye cannot observe him. I don't know how fast that it, but he can outrun missiles flying at around 11,000 mph. Enough said? ;)

Rex_Hondo
2006-05-31, 02:07 AM
That would of course be funny, but not really necessary. Spiderman can manage to outrun cars on a clogged street, so he can go a whole whopping 30 mph. Hey, let's be generous and say that he can beat out a car going fast on a highway, and say he can go 100 mph.

Superman can move so fast that the human eye cannot observe him. I don't know how fast that it, but he can outrun missiles flying at around 11,000 mph. Enough said? ;)

Well, I just keep envisioning Superman and Spiderman esentially re-enacting the fight between Westley and Fezzic in The Princess Bride, with Superman just standing there and taking it for a few minutes. "I wanted you to feel you are doing well." ;D

Crusher
2006-05-31, 08:56 AM
I love Spidey, and he's pulled some impressive wins against seeming superior opponents out of his a** (against Flamelord and Titiania come to mind), but he has no chance here.

The princess bride quote is perfect. Both Spiderman and (to a lesser extent) Superman have good senses of humor, so I could totally see that happening.

Evik
2006-05-31, 08:23 PM
I would say if it at all possible SPiderman would have to spend alot of time Planning for this one. Due to the fact that Peter Parker is Extremely Intelligent i do believe it may be possible for him to subdue Superman if he was able to get the drop on him but it would have to involve a new web-solution that consisted of kryptonite. He would have to make the first attack count because he would most likely not get another chance...spider-sense can only help so much...just cause you know its coming doesnt mean you are fast enough to evade it.
Like i said...it would take planning but i think it is possible.

Holy_Knight
2006-05-31, 08:30 PM
The princess bride quote is perfect. Both Spiderman and (to a lesser extent) Superman have good senses of humor, so I could totally see that happening.
Does that mean that Spiderman actually pulls out the win, after Superman belatedly realizes he's been using the wrong tactics?

Rex_Hondo
2006-05-31, 10:55 PM
I don't know. Now I'm envisioning Spidey putting a sleeper hold on Superman, and Superman playing a fun new variant of the "How fast will I be going when the bug flies off of my windshield" game.

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2006-05-31, 11:14 PM
Does that mean that Spiderman actually pulls out the win, after Superman belatedly realizes he's been using the wrong tactics?

Or maybe Superman's going to be using heat-vision on Spidey, who's wearing improvised armor that the Avengers gave him because he's the least insane, as Spidey uses Captain America's shield to destroy Superman's equipment channelling bioluminescence for...well, you get the idea, at least if your sig is any indication.

Rex_Hondo
2006-06-01, 03:56 AM
Or maybe Superman's going to be using heat-vision on Spidey, who's wearing improvised armor that the Avengers gave him because he's the least insane, as Spidey uses Captain America's shield to destroy Superman's equipment channelling bioluminescence for...well, you get the idea, at least if your sig is any indication.

Before or after Green Goblin tries to convince spidey to go get pizza and margarita shooters?

Holy_Knight
2006-06-01, 04:00 AM

EARTHLINGS....... ARE........ SUPERIORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

CelestialStick
2006-06-01, 12:18 PM
Well, I just keep envisioning Superman and Spiderman esentially re-enacting the fight between Westley and Fezzic in The Princess Bride, with Superman just standing there and taking it for a few minutes. "I wanted you to feel you are doing well." ;D
Heh. I have seen that movie, but even before my memory started to go I couldn't remember a darned thing from it other than "I'm somebody Montoya and you killed my father."