PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Modern Apocalyptic] Penguins (PEACH] Have I finally goen too far?

Pika...
2010-05-19, 12:20 AM
http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/12851/Penguin_Army.png

Penguins
The Humans were indeed a strange race. Such potential and power, yet completely unwise. While able to create great artifacts of enormous world-shattering power with ease, they had more talents then just constructing weapons of war. They worked on other medians than just metal and dangerous chemicals. They occasionally even deviled in flesh and bone itself in the hopes of aching their destructive ends.

Today one of the greatest success of their biological experimentation still walk the remains of the planet’s arctic. Unlike most races these creatures are thriving, and easily pushing back the snow adapted Goblins of their realm. These altered creatures proudly call themselves Penguins.

Hyper-Intelligent, these flightless semi-aquatic birds with their flexible wings have passed down the military strategies and tactics of their long-gone craters, and posses the greatest hordes of artifacts left on the planet. So great is their collection, and with such lack of concern they use up their ammunition that many assume they hold claim to the mythical remaining factories of Those Who Ruined. While this would have world-reaching implications if it were true, no one has been able to return from deep Penguin territory alive to claim either way.

While originally created as the ultimate soldiers (or so the Penguins claim…) to fight as a slave race for the Those Who Ruined, the little fellows proved too clever and quickly rebelled against their crazed masters. Soon they had taken the remains of the planet’s arctic as their own, and the snow ran red with the blood of their slain mammal oppressors. But their was little time to celebrate, for only minutes after they had finished off their former masters than they noticed coming from the direction of the rising sun the first of the Snow Goblin hordes finally coming out of their secret hiding places. But they did not feel fear, nor could the Snow Goblins read a single thought of their seemingly emotionless faces as they merely cocked their weapons, filed back in ranks, and marched straight forward into the the icy-green horde much to the shock of their foes.

Mechanical Stats:

A Penguin has the following statistics.

* -4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma.
* Small size: +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits ¾ those of Medium characters.
* A Penguin’s base land speed is 30 feet. They have a 40ft Swim Spead.
* Darkvision out to 60 feet. Arctic Vision out to 120ft.
* Immune to arctic temperatures.
* A penguin may hold it’s breath for ten times what it’s constitution score would normally allow without issue.
* A Penguin may reroll one missed attack roll using a Human ranged artifact once per day. The player must declare using this ability before the DM describes the results of the missed attack.
* Racial Skills: A Penguin character has a +2 racial bonus on Survival checks while in arctic or arctic like terrain or when in the water, and Penguin characters receive a +10 to Swim checks and can always take 10 on Swim checks even if rushed.
* Racial Feats: A Penguin character gains feats according to its character class. It receives a single Gun Proficiency feat of it’s choice as a bonus feat. In addition, it may take d20 Modern Weapon Feats (such as Gun Feats) as fighter feats.
* Special Qualities: (see above).
* Automatic Languages: Avian. Bonus Languages: Common, Goblin.
* Favored Class: Fighter.
* Level adjustment +0.

Dairun Cates
2010-05-19, 12:52 AM
Mechanical Stats:

A Penguin has the following statistics.

* -4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma.

Dude. Penguins are crazy Charismatic. That's why everyone always think they're so cute and makes movies about them. If anything, I'd put the minus in Dexterity. When they're not underwater, they're very slow and awkward creature (not to mention flipper hands would mess up gun firing and make it difficult). Also, that +2 Intelligence may want to go into con since they survive harsh weather their entire life.

Although, altogether, it's a pretty amusing and fun racial template.

Temotei
2010-05-19, 01:05 AM
Now you need like a bazillion subraces of penguins.

TurtleKing
2010-05-19, 09:48 AM
He already has a race of penguin-like creatures called the Prinny. So do the penguins have prinnies as their slaves and if so oh how have the tables have turned. You have also yet to add them to the Obsidian Portal site. Don't worry this isn't where you are pitching your plot lines or something else. Your just getting the race balanced aren't you? And I have played one of your home brew races.:smallbiggrin:

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-05-19, 10:01 AM
A land speed of 30ft, and a DEX bonus?
Surely they should have a dreadful land speed, and a poor DEX, but a massive aquatic bonus to DEX in the water?

Pika...
2010-05-19, 10:15 AM
A land speed of 30ft, and a DEX bonus?
Surely they should have a dreadful land speed, and a poor DEX, but a massive aquatic bonus to DEX in the water?

Dude. Penguins are crazy Charismatic. That's why everyone always think they're so cute and makes movies about them. If anything, I'd put the minus in Dexterity. When they're not underwater, they're very slow and awkward creature (not to mention flipper hands would mess up gun firing and make it difficult). Also, that +2 Intelligence may want to go into con since they survive harsh weather their entire life.

Although, altogether, it's a pretty amusing and fun racial template.

Hmm....

I am not sure what to do now. :smalleek:

Now you need like a bazillion subraces of penguins.

Is that a recommendation based on the various kinds of penguins, or a jab at 3.5? LoL

He already has a race of penguin-like creatures called the Prinny. So do the penguins have prinnies as their slaves and if so oh how have the tables have turned. You have also yet to add them to the Obsidian Portal site. Don't worry this isn't where you are pitching your plot lines or something else. Your just getting the race balanced aren't you? And I have played one of your home brew races.:smallbiggrin:

Prinny, you know what I told you about coming here. Now I have to pull out my hurty stick again!

TurtleKing
2010-05-19, 11:35 AM
What I merely role-played the way I saw his personality and goals. I didn't try to play him into being awesome and broken. Yes I broke an immortal embodiment of failure that should not be able to be epic, and yet I did using what I had available to me which is limited. Also I am on here because I want to eventually DM myself. Also when I finally DM and if you are playing in beware of the commoners for they are tougher than they look. Also everything else is more powerful including you so will playing at higher power level than the normal.:smallwink: