PDA

View Full Version : Techno Thread

Cleverdan22
2010-05-19, 02:08 PM
I noticed that there wasn't a thread for this delightful genre of music, and thought I might throw it in.

This thread is for discussing Techno, its awesome beats, and flashing lights. So what's your favorite group, Playground? What are your thoughts on the genre?

Optimystik
2010-05-19, 02:23 PM
Does this cover other forms of electronica too? Trance, Dance mixes, Breakbeat, Tribal, Electro etc.

arguskos
2010-05-19, 02:28 PM
If it covers all electronica, I'll throw out Calvin Harris as an entertaining artist who somewhat covers the boundary betwixt electronica and other genres, making him more accessible to non-electronica fans, which is good.

Also, a friend of mine damn well LOVES Crystal Castles. I'm tired of hearing it at this point. :smallsigh:

Forever Curious
2010-05-19, 02:37 PM
VNV Nation for the awesome.

...not really techno-savvy artist-wise, though...

Nameless
2010-05-19, 02:37 PM
Didn't I open up an electronica thread like, 6 months ago? :smalltongue: ah well.

Anywayz, Nameless is mainly into EBM, Dark Electronica, aggrotech and Industrial. Though I do like artists within the pop side of the genre. I have a soft spot for Owl City. :smallbiggrin:

Currently listening to Arise X (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpCpA2dnvbs) actually.

Harperfan7
2010-05-19, 08:05 PM
Daft Punk and Justice.

Can't speak with too much authority on techno, but I do love it.

Faulty
2010-05-19, 08:11 PM
Ellen Allien, Justice and Venetian Snares.

Sneak
2010-05-19, 08:24 PM
I'm not very well versed in the various subcategories of electronic music, but I like The Avalanches, wherever they fit in. Pogo (the movie music remixer guy) is also decent.

But most of all, I love me some The Books. I have even less of an idea of what genre they fall into (although I am certain it's not techno), or if they even count, but whatever they are, they blow my mind.

d13
2010-05-19, 08:34 PM
(...)

Anywayz, Nameless d13 is mainly into EBM, Dark Electronica, aggrotech and Industrial. Though I do like artists within the pop side of the genre. I have a soft spot for Owl City. Apoptygma Berzerk :smallbiggrin:

(...)

Thanks for typing that up for me, Nameless :smallbiggrin:

Don Julio Anejo
2010-05-19, 11:31 PM
ATB
Armin Van Buuren
Paul Van Dyk
Ferry Corsten
Delerium
DJ Feel
Bobina
Benny Benassi
Sash!
Cascada.

As you can tell, it's mostly trance and progressive trance (with the exception of Benny Benassi, who does house). Notice the lack of David Guetta, Markus Shulz and Tiesto. That was intentional, I don't like them very much. Tiesto is borderline, but I absolutely abhor about 50% of his stuff and only marginally like another 40.

Kaez
2010-05-19, 11:52 PM
Not 100% sure where this fits in, but Astral Projection. Always enjoyed some of their newer stuff, but recently I've been listening to their old stuff, pretty good, but some of their music is a hit an miss with me.

Sadly I'd also have to say some of Juno Reactor (again, dunno where they fit if at all), but mostly only a couple tracks, a lot of their stuff is weird.

Optimystik
2010-05-20, 12:33 AM
Plenty of great artists in this thread. I'll add:

Neuroticfish
Basshunter
Robert Miles
September
Paul Oakenfold
Faithless

The Glyphstone
2010-05-20, 01:03 AM
I don't know any artists or song names, but I remember a 'song' from middle/high school a kid on the bus liked to play. It was techno 'played' with sound clips of machine guns, rifles, and grenades going off. Odd, but memorable enough to stick with me.

Optimystik
2010-05-20, 01:33 AM
To solidify discussion somewhat: Subgenres of Electronic Dance Music (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_dance_music)

That should help address the "Is this Trance or House?" types of questions that sometimes arise in threads like these. :smallsmile:

There are also artist lists for each.

Sneak
2010-05-20, 01:43 AM
Radiohead and LCD Soundsystem count?

Okay then.

Nameless
2010-05-20, 07:01 AM
Thanks for typing that up for me, Nameless :smallbiggrin:

No problem. :smallbiggrin: