PDA

View Full Version : dang, the empress put on weight.

krossbow
2010-05-19, 04:14 PM
Look at how skinny she is in the newest comic. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0725.html)

but thog looks so happy being devoured....

Comet
2010-05-19, 04:25 PM
For some reason I didn't even notice that there was a new comic until I read this thread.

So... Thanks, I suppose :smalltongue:

pendell
2010-05-19, 04:30 PM
Atkins diet was a real ripoff for her, eh? I don't see her eating any carbs, but look at how fat she is.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

licoot
2010-05-19, 04:45 PM
was that really her?
looking at it now I don't see how there could've been another dragon, without it being significant, guess I just overlooked it.

Closak
2010-05-19, 04:46 PM
Gluttony much?

...Still hawt though *Offers herd of cows* Hello...

Mr. Scaly
2010-05-19, 05:17 PM
I likes big tails and I cannot lie. :smallbiggrin:

Fargazer
2010-05-19, 05:30 PM
For some reason I find that its really the eyes which make the two dragons so different.

Dr.Epic
2010-05-19, 06:22 PM
For some reason I find that its really the eyes which make the two dragons so different.

That and the way the head is drawn, the lack of crown, and the fact that dragon was thin enough to fit in one panel.

derfenrirwolv
2010-05-19, 07:27 PM
but thog looks so happy being devoured....

:thog: *sniff* Being ordurve all that thogg hoped for, and so much more!

Maximum Zersk
2010-05-19, 07:58 PM
According to the comic, she's doing that on purpose.

Fargazer
2010-05-19, 08:33 PM
That and the way the head is drawn, the lack of crown, and the fact that dragon was thin enough to fit in one panel.

Right, those are all major differences, but so far all the dragons have had that sort of "slit for an eye" vibe going, so having ordinary human style eyes for a dragon somehow communicates for me her gluttony.

Of course I may just be attaching those traits to something which really isn't the real cause.

factotum
2010-05-20, 01:58 AM
was that really her?
looking at it now I don't see how there could've been another dragon, without it being significant, guess I just overlooked it.

Yes, it was--why would the Giant have introduced a completely different dragon in a flashback panel with no notification? Basically, she's been gorging herself on cows for the past two years and has put on a lot of weight!

Red XIV
2010-05-20, 02:36 AM
Atkins diet was a real ripoff for her, eh? I don't see her eating any carbs, but look at how fat she is.
She's deliberately putting on the pounds, because she misunderstood how dragons become more powerful. More powerful dragons are larger, so she thought getting larger would increase her power.

Darcy
2010-05-20, 09:01 AM
The panel is captioned with "two years ago we helped conquer a nation for the Empress of Blood," it seems a safe assumption. I assume she was just much leaner and meaner then.

Kish
2010-05-20, 09:38 AM
Gluttony much?

...Still hawt though *Offers herd of cows* Hello...
If she can't cast arcane spells yet, I'm pretty sure that means she's not legal, Closak.

Dr.Epic
2010-05-20, 09:59 AM
The Empress of Blood is so fat she can't even see her feats.

Rad
2010-05-20, 11:04 AM
The Empress of Blood is so fat she can't even see her feats.

I could see using a melograne for her miniature...

Asta Kask
2010-05-20, 11:26 AM
Isn't this a rather rude thread? I mean, you're not supposed to talk about a woman's weight.

Thrawn183
2010-05-20, 11:29 AM
She's deliberately putting on the pounds, because she misunderstood how dragons become more powerful. More powerful dragons are larger, so she thought getting larger would increase her power.

It would be hilarious if eventually we find out that she's become extremely resistant to weapon attacks because they can't penetrate her fat to her vital organs. She really would have become more powerful by becoming larger, just not the way she'd intended.

Closak
2010-05-20, 11:32 AM
That actually makes sense.

It would be harder to fatally injure some with so much fat in the way.
So keep eating empress, keep eating!

krossbow
2010-05-20, 11:33 AM
That actually makes sense.

It would be harder to fatally injure some with so much fat in the way.
So keep eating empress, keep eating!

Just run away for a few rounds and she'll have to start making fortitude saves against heart attacks.

FoE
2010-05-20, 11:34 AM
She'll lose the ability to fly, though. And what's a dragon that can't fly? Just a big lizard that breaths fire.

doodthedud
2010-05-20, 11:35 AM
Just a big lizard that breaths fire.

Just?

That's still pretty scary.

sihnfahl
2010-05-20, 11:49 AM
Just run away for a few rounds and she'll have to start making fortitude saves against heart attacks.
Right up until you get backed up against a wall.

*rollrollrollSQUISH*

Darcy
2010-05-20, 01:44 PM
A lot of dragons in European myths were just big lizards that could breathe fire. In fantasy, Glaurung, one of the first dragons in Middle Earth, was also one of the most powerful, and he couldn't fly. He could hypnotize you so you forgot your identity and married your sibling, though.

krossbow
2010-05-20, 02:36 PM
A lot of dragons in European myths were just big lizards that could breathe fire. In fantasy, Glaurung, one of the first dragons in Middle Earth, was also one of the most powerful, and he couldn't fly. He could hypnotize you so you forgot your identity and married your sibling, though.

Dang, a dragon that made you think you were from the deep south :smalltongue:

I kid, i kid. But really, alot of the most famous dragons weren't really known for flight. Look at beowulf; its the dragon's venom thats the most dangerous and formidable part of the beast, felling beowulf after it was slain.

D&D dragons don't even have venom; what kind of crappy knockoff dragons are they then? :smallwink:

factotum
2010-05-21, 01:31 AM
D&D dragons don't even have venom; what kind of crappy knockoff dragons are they then? :smallwink:

Black dragons have an acidic breath weapon...that's sort of venomous, isn't it?

Gitman00
2010-05-21, 09:02 AM
If she can't cast arcane spells yet, I'm pretty sure that means she's not legal, Closak.

I dunno, she's a bit large for Very Young. I figured she just has really low CHA.

Darcy
2010-05-21, 09:19 AM
Dang, a dragon that made you think you were from the deep south :smalltongue:

I kid, i kid. But really, alot of the most famous dragons weren't really known for flight. Look at beowulf; its the dragon's venom thats the most dangerous and formidable part of the beast, felling beowulf after it was slain.

Sadly it played out in a much more Greek fashion... the "OH GODS WHAT HAVE I DONE *SUICIDE*" way.

The_Admiral
2010-05-22, 05:49 AM
She'll lose the ability to fly, though. And what's a dragon that can't fly? Just a big lizard that breaths fire.

dude you should read up more on your Asian mythology the dragons there are big lizards that cant fly

kusje
2010-05-22, 06:05 AM
dude you should read up more on your Asian mythology the dragons there are big lizards that cant fly

I hope you don't mean the chinese dragons because they can fly even if they don't have wings.

AstralFire
2010-05-22, 06:28 AM
There are multiple kinds of dragons, even in East Asia. Even just in China, one of the largest areas and populations in the world.

Mechanichi
2010-05-22, 10:47 AM
Black dragons have an acidic breath weapon...that's sort of venomous, isn't it?

Not even close.

Leecros
2010-05-22, 11:18 AM
There are multiple kinds of dragons, even in East Asia. Even just in China, one of the largest areas and populations in the world.

I had a book that went over all kinds of dragons found on Earth. It included a physical description, habits, favorites foods, and how to lure attract them to your location.

try and try as hard as i could i could never catch a local dragon.:smallredface:

AstralFire
2010-05-22, 11:19 AM
I had one of those too.

I hate dragons.

Thankfully, my girlfriend enjoyed it as a regifting quite well.

Yiuel
2010-05-22, 11:33 AM
Not even close.

Are there any homebrewed poisonous dragons?

hamishspence
2010-05-22, 11:57 AM
The Xorvintaal rules in MM V allow for poison: "dragon toxin" to be applied to dragons.

They can choose it from among several abilities- the older a dragon is, the more abilities it can have.

The template does require the dragon to give up spellcasting though.

krossbow
2010-05-22, 02:50 PM
The template does require the dragon to give up spellcasting though.

In D&D, that basically amounts to saying "Take sword, insert directly into forehead"

HammerCrush
2010-05-22, 03:26 PM
Are there any homebrewed poisonous dragons?

Actually, green dragons have a poisonous breath in D&D 4ed

factotum
2010-05-23, 12:53 AM
In D&D, that basically amounts to saying "Take sword, insert directly into forehead"

Er, we're still talking a DRAGON here. Spellcasting is a very, very small part of a normal dragon's power--the ABD in OotS can be considered highly unusual for being able to cast a 6th level arcane spell (Anti-Magic Field); normally a dragon would be limited to lower level spells than that.

Runestar
2010-05-23, 01:00 AM
Er, we're still talking a DRAGON here. Spellcasting is a very, very small part of a normal dragon's power

Only if you let it be so.

But a dragon with that overweight deformity feat and the ravenous template? :smallcool:

Coidzor
2010-05-23, 02:35 AM
But a dragon with that overweight deformity feat and the ravenous template? :smallcool:

Indeed... But... I have to wonder if she's still capable of moving under her own power with how stubby her fore-arms(aka, terrestrial steering)and scrawny her wings are...

krossbow
2010-05-23, 02:50 PM
Er, we're still talking a DRAGON here. Spellcasting is a very, very small part of a normal dragon's power--the ABD in OotS can be considered highly unusual for being able to cast a 6th level arcane spell (Anti-Magic Field); normally a dragon would be limited to lower level spells than that.

I don't dissagree that magic isn't iconic; I've always found Dragon's having spellcasting to be wonky, and have never thought it a very "dragonish" thing.

I'm merely stating that in D&D, magic is king, So saying that spellcasting is a small part of a dragon's power is kidding yourself. a dragon removing spellcasting for venom is essentially committing suicide.

hamishspence
2010-05-23, 02:57 PM
It gets several abilities with increasing Hit Dice- not just venom. A low level dragon would have a few extra abilities, a high level dragon, a lot of extra abilities.

Herald Alberich
2010-05-24, 01:29 PM

Dragon bile is Strength poison, but presumably you have to kill the dragon to extract it.

sihnfahl
2010-05-24, 01:41 PM
Dragon bile is Strength poison, but presumably you have to kill the dragon to extract it.
Or you get the dragon to eat so much they become sick and ....

Oh, hey, I think I know how Malack and Tarquin are making some gold on the side.

pendell
2010-05-24, 02:32 PM
I don't dissagree that magic isn't iconic; I've always found Dragon's having spellcasting to be wonky, and have never thought it a very "dragonish" thing.

Magic-using dragons pre-date D&D. Glaurang, from JRR Tolkien's Silmarrillion, was a spellcaster and used it to Mindrape a number of characters in the story.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Luzahn
2010-05-24, 03:19 PM

Huh. Thought she was just too dense to understand them.

krossbow
2010-05-24, 03:50 PM
Magic-using dragons pre-date D&D. Glaurang, from JRR Tolkien's Silmarrillion, was a spellcaster and used it to Mindrape a number of characters in the story.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

While tolkien may be a big influence on fantasy, he is not the end all authority on it.
Epics such as beowulf and other ancient legends of dragons are equally as valid, and rarely are dragons spellcasters in such tales (mainly since its hard enough for a mortal man to kill a giant lizard as is)

pendell
2010-05-24, 04:00 PM
There's a certain Book Which Must Not Be Discussed on this forum, but the last book (of the 66 Books contained in The Unnamed) has a seven-headed dragon and a person who can make lightning fall from the sky by the power of said seven-headed dragon. So spell-casting, magic-using dragons have been around THAT long. Yes.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Lateral
2010-05-24, 04:06 PM
While tolkien may be a big influence on fantasy, he is not the end all authority on it.
Epics such as beowulf and other ancient legends of dragons are equally as valid, and rarely are dragons spellcasters in such tales (mainly since its hard enough for a mortal man to kill a giant lizard as is)

Yes, but that doesn't invalidate his point. Tolkien is, as you say, a big influence on modern fantasy. Not only that, but it was one of the major influences in D&D. I'd say that Tolkien is a major enough example for this topic for Brian's point to be valid (especially since spellcasting dragons don't solely show up in Tolkien's works).

Edit: Damn, ninja'd. Also, which book are we talking about here, Brian? Ah, right. Nevermind.

@V: Have you read the Silmarillion?

...because I haven't. I was operating on Brian's assertion.

Luzahn
2010-05-24, 04:16 PM
Yes, but that doesn't invalidate his point. Tolkien is, as you say, a big influence on modern fantasy. Not only that, but it was one of the major influences in D&D. I'd say that Tolkien is a major enough example for this topic for Brian's point to be valid (especially since spellcasting dragons don't solely show up in Tolkien's works).

Edit: Damn, ninja'd. Also, which book are we talking about here, Brian? Ah, right. Nevermind.

Where, besides a few mental tricks of the one in Children of Hurin, did Tolkien's dragons cast spells?

Edit: I'd define Glaurang's abilities, not as spells, but just hypnotic effects, pretty limited compared to spellcasting dragons shown in D&D

pendell
2010-05-25, 08:51 AM
Where, besides a few mental tricks of the one in Children of Hurin, did Tolkien's dragons cast spells?

The tricks in 'Children of Hurin' were what I was talking about. A 'spell' is what the story calls it, ergo the dragon 'laid a spell' on a human target -- those precise words -- even though the spell in question is obviously enchantment domain (Charm Person, Dominate Person, Mind Rape) rather than blaster. But then, a dragon which can breathe fire hot enough to melt Rings of Power hasn't much use for blaster-type spells like fireball, does it?

Come to think of it, blaster magic like Cone of Cold is rare in Middle Earth anyway. Morgoth himself , whose powers can best be described as 'godlike', fights Fingolfin not with magic but by simply hitting him with a big club.

Edit: I'd define Glaurang's abilities, not as spells, but just hypnotic effects, pretty limited compared to spellcasting dragons shown in D&D

Well, yes, but that's an artifact of Tolkien's world being considerably lower magic than your average D&D campaign. I suspect Tolkien made the right decision there. Look at how much trouble the Giant has making a believable story now that Vaarsuvius and Thor are starting to get up into ubermage and CoDzilla levels.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Kish
2010-05-25, 09:05 AM
Thor is a god. I suspect you mean Durkon.

Serpentine
2010-05-25, 09:16 AM
dude you should read up more on your Asian mythology the dragons there are big lizards that cant flyAs mentioned, there are many Asian dragons that can fly despite the lack of wings. Something to do with the branchy things on their sides.
AKA: Dude, you're the one who needs to read up on your Asian mythology :smallwink:
Though granted, I believe there are some Asian ones (and European, and others) that can't.

pendell
2010-05-25, 10:52 AM
Thor is a god. I suspect you mean Durkon.

Indeed I did.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Silver Swift
2010-05-25, 01:35 PM
Also, which book are we talking about here, Brian? Ah, right. Nevermind.

Ok, now I'm curious, what book are we talking about? :smallsmile:

pendell
2010-05-25, 02:16 PM
Some clues:

1) The title in English means "Book" in Spanish or Latin.
2) It has a New section and a much larger Old section.
3) It has war, sex, incest, giants, dragons, sea monsters, mages, mad really strange priests, human sacrifice, bizarre sexual rituals man was not meant to Wot of, a spell for detecting unfaithful wives (scrape writing into a bowl of water, have suspected unfaithful wife drink the water), and , yes, directions for how to weave your clothes. Yet for some reason most people would also say it's the most boring book they've ever read.
4) Probably the best-selling book in the English language no one ever reads.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Aldrakan
2010-05-25, 02:38 PM

I believe green dragons breathe chlorine gas, don't they? And I'm pretty sure that at least one of the gem dragons in AD&D breathed poison. I mean, the amethyst dragon shot exploding purple throat lozenges or something, I would hope they'd reach "poison" before they came up with that one.

hamishspence
2010-05-25, 03:04 PM
Green dragons have changed a bit over time- in 3.0/3.5 their breath weapon did acid damage, but in 4E, it does poison damage- a bit like the old-style chlorine gas weapon of the earlier editions.

Also- Fang Dragons have a poisonous bite (no breathe weapon at all though).

adrejer
2010-05-25, 03:57 PM
Fafner, one of the most famous dragons in norse mythology had the power to change shape (ok he was not originally a dragon, but none the less)..
He did have poisonous blood and bite in stead of fire breathing and flight though...

krossbow
2010-05-25, 04:24 PM
Green dragons have changed a bit over time- in 3.0/3.5 their breath weapon did acid damage, but in 4E, it does poison damage- a bit like the old-style chlorine gas weapon of the earlier editions.

Also- Fang Dragons have a poisonous bite (no breathe weapon at all though).

Been a bit since i looked at the fang dragon, and trying to think if i'm thinking of the correct one; I thought it just deal damage with its natural weapons as if it were one size catagory larger. I may be thinking of a different subdragon though.

hamishspence
2010-05-25, 04:47 PM
It does indeed do damage as if it was one size larger, too.

Strictly speaking (now that I've rechecked it) the bite ability is not a Poison ability- it's an Ability Drain (Constitution) ability.

Which means it won't work in an antimagic field.

Still quite nasty though.

While I can't think of any True Dragons that come with poisons as standard, the Ssvaklor in MM3 is a creature of the Dragon type, that looks much like a true dragon, and has both a poisonous bite and a poisonous breath weapon.

Silver Swift
2010-05-26, 03:55 AM
Some clues:

3) It has war, sex, incest, giants, dragons, sea monsters, mages, mad really strange priests, human sacrifice, bizarre sexual rituals man was not meant to Wot of, a spell for detecting unfaithful wives (scrape writing into a bowl of water, have suspected unfaithful wife drink the water), and , yes, directions for how to weave your clothes. Yet for some reason most people would also say it's the most boring book they've ever read.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

A right, got it :smallredface:

binyamin20
2010-05-26, 04:21 AM

What's the last time you fought a flamethrower?

binyamin20
2010-05-26, 04:34 AM

Not necessarily (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0184.html).

Coidzor
2010-05-26, 04:59 AM
What's the last time you fought a flamethrower?

Also, more importantly, can she walk/move? I mean, with how stubby her legs are, she might be... ahh... more of a fixture on the throne than anyone who wants it might realize.

Nimrod's Son
2010-05-26, 06:23 AM
Some clues:

You do know that it's perfectly okay to say the word "Bible" here, right? Bible Bible Bible.

There's nothing wrong with pointing out that there are dragons in the Bible. Now, if you were to (say) argue that the Bible having dragons proves that God doesn't exist, that would be overstepping the mark.

"Discussing religion" and "mentioning religion" are not the same thing. These forums get enough flack for their strict rules as it is, but let's not complicate things by pretending they're more draconian than they really are.

lord_khaine
2010-05-26, 06:56 AM
Also, more importantly, can she walk/move? I mean, with how stubby her legs are, she might be... ahh... more of a fixture on the throne than anyone who wants it might realize.

Proberly not, but i cant help but think she still contributes a lot to the empires stability anyway.

Just imagine having to assasinate her, thats not something you leave to lowlevel people.

Nimrod's Son
2010-05-26, 07:00 AM
Proberly not, but i cant help but think she still contributes a lot to the empires stability anyway.
Only because she's right in the middle of the continent. She moves too far to one side and everyone's going in the ocean. :smalltongue:

pendell
2010-05-26, 07:03 AM
These forums get enough flack for their strict rules as it is, but let's not complicate things by pretending they're more draconian than they really are.

'Draconian' WRT this thread .. I see what you did there :smallamused:

But in any case, I disagree with you. The rules are clear. Mentioning certain topics in ANY circumstance, even when they intersect gaming, is forbidden. When in doubt, don't. Thus I tried to minimize contact to the greatest extent possible. No one has ever been issued an infraction on the OOTS forum for being too prudent.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Nimrod's Son
2010-05-26, 07:13 AM
The rules are clear. Mentioning certain topics in ANY circumstance, even when they intersect gaming, is forbidden.
You're the one who inferred the word "mentioning", there. The rules don't say that. But they do say that discussion is forbidden.

I've been posting here for ages under my above interpretation. I've mentioned religion in passing many times. Never had a single infraction or scrubbed post in my entire time here. Really, the rules aren't as authoritarian as some seem to think.

It CERTAINLY hasn't got to the point where anyone gets penalised for writing simple facts.

No one has ever been issued an infraction on the OOTS forum for being too prudent.
No one ever had to clarify what they were alluding to by just coming out and saying it, either. If what you posted is so risqué, how come you posted it at all? Essentially all you did was omit the word "Bible" (which would already be blocked by the swear filter if it wasn't allowed); your point was exactly the same.

Be as prudent as you like. But don't try and claim that your post would have been somehow less acceptable if you'd used "that name".

sihnfahl
2010-05-26, 08:32 AM
Think of her secondary attack as a 'hey, there's a wall behind them' and a realization of 'hey, I can ROLL!'

Luzahn
2010-05-26, 08:39 AM
Id say she would at least intimidate would-be invaders...

As long as she let Malack do the speaking.

sihnfahl
2010-05-26, 09:18 AM
Id say she would at least intimidate would-be invaders...
Would-be invaders wouldn't require her to say anything beyond 'DIE!' or "BURN!"

Closak
2010-05-26, 09:36 AM
Or in this case "GET IN MY BELLY!"

sihnfahl
2010-05-26, 09:49 AM
Or in this case "GET IN MY BELLY!"
Well, since she's evil, she probably has no problem with baby back ribs...