PDA

View Full Version : Twilight Ferryman (3.5 Shadowcasting PrC, PEACH)

Eurus
2010-05-20, 01:35 AM
TWILIGHT FERRYMAN
"What you see is only the surface."
-Yezen Trueweave, Tenebrous Cabalist and Twilight Ferryman

Every Shadow Mage learns to look beyond the physical, to make use of the many layers of reality to work their magic. The Twilight Ferrymen take this philosophy a step farther, drawing on not just the Shadow plane but the Ethereal as well; both mirrors of the Material, but in different ways. In their studies, they learn to blur the boundaries between these planes, shifting themselves and others across them with ever-greater ease.

Requirements
Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) 10 ranks, Knowledge (Planes) 10 ranks
Mysteries: Ability to use at least one Initiate mystery
Feats: Transdimensional Mystery (see below)
Special: Must have visited the Ethereal plane or the Plane of Shadows

Hit die: d6

{table=head]Level | Base Attack Bonus | Fort Save | Ref Save | Will Save | Special | Shadowcasting
1st | +0 | +0 | +0 | +2 | Ride the River | +1 level of existing Mystery-using class
2nd | +1 | +0 | +0 | +3 | Straddle the Gulf | +1 level of existing Mystery-using class
3rd | +1 | +1 | +1 | +3 | Lost in the Current | +1 level of existing Mystery-using class
4th | +2 | +1 | +1 | +4 | Drown in Twilight | +1 level of existing Mystery-using class
5th | +2 | +1 | +1 | +4 | Beyond the Pale | +1 level of existing Mystery-using class[/table]

Class skills (2 + Int modifier per level): Concentration, Craft, Hide, Intimidate, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (the planes), Move Silently, Profession, Spellcraft, Spot

Mysteries: At each level, you gain mysteries known and an increase in caster level as if you had also gained a level in a casting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefits a character of that class would have gained.

Riding the River (Sp): A Ferryman learns to coast along the border of reality, carrying himself and others across great distances or even between planes. By expending a use of any Initiate mystery he knows with daily uses, the Ferryman can use a mystery from the Ebon Roads path of equal or lower level as a spell-like ability, even if it isn't one of his known mysteries.

Straddle the Gulf (Sp): At 2nd level, the Ferryman learns to step partially between planes for longer periods as a defensive measure. By expending a mystery as a swift action, he can become incorporeal for a number of rounds equal to the mystery's level. If he activates this ability while in the Shadow or Ethereal plane, it instead functions similar to a ghost's manifestation ability; he is considered to occupy whatever plane he started on while also being incorporeal on the material plane.

Lost in the Current (Sp): As the Ferryman studies the boundaries between planes, he learns to bend them with almost unconscious ease. A Ferryman of 3rd level or higher learns to use this talent to deflect attacks across that border, usually rendering them harmless in the process. As an immediate action, the Ferryman may shift a single attack to the ethereal plane rather than the material. This may be an attack from a weapon or from a spell, melee or ranged; if it is a melee attack, the weapon or limb is dragged back to the material plane by its wielder after a moment, while a ranged attack remains permanently shifted to the ethereal. The Ferryman can even target an area attack, but can only shift a 10-foot square portion of such an effect.

Force effects are still effective even if so shifted, and any effect with a duration greater than instantaneous will return to the material plane after a moment.

The Ferryman can use this ability by expending a use of a mystery, but its level must be greater than the number of times he has already used this ability within the last 24 hours.

Drown in Twilight (Sp): A 4th level Ferryman learns to turn his art into a weapon. By expending a use of a mystery as a standard action, he can force one creature to make a Will save (DC 10 + the expended mystery's level + the Ferryman's Cha modifier). If it fails, the creature finds itself temporarily stuck between planes, powerless and disoriented. A creature stranded in this way is considered to occupy the Material, Shadow, and Ethereal planes simultaneously, and is visible and audible as a ghostly figure and voice on all three, but cannot interact with creatures or objects on any of them. It cannot move from its current space, but it can continue to otherwise act (such as by casting spells on itself). The Ferryman may choose whether to deprive it of sight and vision for the duration of its entrapment.

While in this state the creature is almost impossible for other creatures to affect; any ability that could harm creatures on the Material plane and the Ethereal, such as a ghost touch weapon or force effect, has a 50% chance of affecting it, as do all mysteries.

The creature may attempt a new saving throw as a full-round action, or it may escape with a plane shift or similar effect. Otherwise, it remains trapped until the Ferryman either releases it as a standard action or for a number of minutes equal to the expended mystery's level, at which point it returns to whatever plane it started on.

Beyond the Pale (Sp): A 5th-level Ferryman has so mastered his art that he can shift almost effortlessly between planes. By expending a mystery as a swift action, he can travel from the material plane to the ethereal or shadow plane or vice-versa. He can bring other willing creatures with him if he chooses, but such creatures must be in contact with him and the mystery expended must be of a level equal to or greater than the number of creatures transported (including himself).

Feat: Transdimensional Mystery [Metashadow]
You can cast a mystery that blurs the line between planes.
Prerequisite: Any metashadow feat.
Benefit: Once per day, you can cast a mystery that affects creatures and objects in coterminous planes. A transdimensional mystery has its full normal effect on incorporeal creatures, creatures on the Ethereal Plane or the Plane of Shadow, and creatures within an extradimensional space in the spell’s area. Such creatures include ethereal creatures, creatures that are blinking or shadow walking, manifested ghosts, and creatures within the
extradimensional space of a rope trick, portable hole, or familiar pocket

You must be able to perceive a creature to target it with a transdimensional spell, but you do not need to perceive a creature to catch it in the area of a burst, cone, emanation, or spread.
Special: You can take this feat multiple times.

So, let the PEACHing begin. Too powerful, too weak? Needs stretched out into 10 levels? Any advice appreciated, I have no idea what I'm doing. :smallwink:

Tibbaerrohwen
2010-05-21, 11:32 AM
It looks good to me. I don't know much about shadowcasters, but it seems balanced in comparison to other shadowcaster PrCs I've seen. I wouldn't make it a 10 level progression; it works perfectly well as a 5 level progression.
You mentioned how ghost touch weapons affect Drown In Twilight, but to they have any effect on Lost in the Current? And does ghost touch function normally against Straddles the Gulf, or odes if still suffer a 50% miss, as it would based on the similar effect of Drown in Twilight?
Also, I would make Drown in Twilight last for 2 rounds per mystery level, rather than a minute. A minute in combat is a long time and a lot can happen in 10 rounds. I would shorten the effect somehow. 2 rounds per mystery level feel balanced, but it may be too short. I leave it up to you.
Overall, good job. I like it.

DragoonWraith
2010-06-03, 07:11 PM
I agree; I like it. Like I said in the chat, a feat pre-req seems appropriate - Transdimensional Mystery sounds like a very fitting choice. Other than that, looks very good.

Eurus
2010-06-03, 07:13 PM
Added Transdimensional Mystery, hopefully that makes it a bit more balanced where prereqs are concerned.