PDA

View Full Version : Fighter Buff/Feat Buff

Corporate M
2010-05-24, 01:55 AM
I saw that discussion about how a fighter should be, and it got me to thinking the easiest way to fix the fighter was simply give him a reactive ability based on the weapon he's using. This gave me the concept of "limit breaks".

Before people go thinking limit breaks are something bad, hear me out... a fighter's main purpose is to fight, therefore it only makes sense for the fighter to be able to innitiate a limit break. He can use an amount of limit breaks per day equal to his fighter level. Each weapon would have their own limitbreak that only a fighter could use. All limit breaks are a trigger effect activated when you hit a foe. They can be activated at will, but only once you've met the prequisite of damage dealt you. For once you might pass on letting the cleric heal you!

Light Mace:
Limit Break Effect: For the remainder of combat, anytime a foe would make a charge, trip, or grapple attack against you. They are dealt 1d10 damage.
Prequisite: 5 damage.

Club:
Limit Break Effect: Target struck with light mace takes a -1 penalty to his AC for the remainder of combat. (This effect can effect multiple targets, but does not stack with the same target)
Limit Break Trigger: 10 damage.

Essentially, since most weapons become redundant after some point. And some end up being reasonably better then others. (Like why would you take a lightmace over a club which is free and has the same critical/multiplyer/damage?) You have the limitbreak potential to explain why you are carrying something else. As well, it gives your fighter some combat advantages the opponent could not have forseen!

Most limitbreaks only expend one use for the day. But some might expend more. If they did, they'd be noted as such.

Greatsword:
Limit Break Effect: If the target you struck has more hit dice then you do, this attack deals an additional +3d6 damage. This limitbreak expends 2 daily uses instead of 1.
Limit Break Trigger: 6 damage.

Now we have some feats to improve... Feats for the most part stay the same. Just imply to weapon groups. (Simple, martial, exotic) Giving more reason to emphasize the difference of weapon groupings and giving fighter more options and worth to his feats.

Weapon Focus:
Effect: Gain +1 on all attack rolls with chosen weapon group. May take this feat more then once, but each time it applies to a new weapon group.

Improved Critical:
Effect: Improve critical threat range of selected weapon group by 1. May take this feat more then once, but each time it applies to a new weapon group.

And ofcourse, some feats of my own created. Feats designed to keep you wanting to level in the fighter...

Overdrive:
Prequisite: Fighter level 1
Effect: Gain an additional limitbreak per day. You may take this feat more then once.

Greater Critical:
Increase the multiplyer of your weapon group by x1. (So say a x3 weapon becomes x4) This feat may be taken more then once, but each time applies to a different weapon group.

Fighter's Edge:
Prequisite: Fighter level 3
Effect: 1/day, calculate the number of expended limitbreaks you have versus your maximum able to use. Your attack deals extra damage equal to the number of expended limitbreaks.

Apalala
2010-05-24, 02:19 AM
Eh......

I doubt many would go for this idea. The limit breaks you listed are pretty terrible and don't seem to scale with level. I also don't see why they should be limited on a per day basis. If you increased the scaling, I guess.

Something like

Light Mace:
Limit Break Effect: For the rest of the encounter, anytime an enemy attempts to charge, trip, or grapple you, they are dealt 1d10 damage. This damage increases by 1d10 at class level 4, and an additional 1d10 every three levels after.
Trigger: 75% Maximum HP

and

Club:
Limit Break Effect: Targets you hit with a light mace have their armor or natural armor bonus--whichever is higher--reduced by your strength modifier. Natural armor reduced in this way recovers after 8 hours of rest. Armor damaged in this way requires a successful DC 20 craft check and five minutes of work. A creature can not be affected by this ability more than once.
Trigger: 75% Maximum HP

And have the really powerful abilities requires 1/2 or 1/4 hp. You might build a class that tends to wield three weapons, switching them in and out with the flow of the battle.