PDA

View Full Version : Geek Chic Jewellery - interest wanted

Serpentine
2010-05-25, 04:37 AM
I'm thinking of trying my hand at making jewellery out of dice. I know it's been done, but I'm thinking of using them more as beads than as pendants. But it's hard to justify buying the materials and tools unless I have someone waiting for something.
So, would anyone be interested in commissioning a dice necklace or bracelet? I'd only charge material and shipping costs, if that.
I hope this doesn't count as advertising or anything... It's much more about motivation and gauging interest than profit.

Serpentine
2010-05-28, 04:14 AM
...noone interested? At all. Huh. Hummm. Oh well =/ I've got a real-life friend interested, anyway. Just gotta wait for her to pick her dice, seeing as she said she wants to...

Dallas-Dakota
2010-05-28, 07:27 AM
This is a very good place, I've seen their products and they're pretty good. Don't know about prices though. (http://www.dreamofdice.nl/index.php?_a=viewDoc&docId=13)

Serpentine
2010-05-28, 07:39 AM
It's in Dutch! D=
Are you thinking they would have the sort of jewellery I'm thinking of making, or are they a place to buy dice?

Draconi Redfir
2010-05-28, 08:24 AM
i dunno if i'd want a necklace of dice or whatever, but just as a thought: it would be really cool if the dice were removeable so you could play with em without needing to carry them around in a bag all the time.

Quincunx
2010-05-28, 08:33 AM
Last year's Geek Chic Jewelry! thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5901176) and assessment of interest

Serpentine
2010-05-28, 08:48 AM
Ha! I remember that thread, too. Same name and everything... Mine won't be anything as classy as that, but to be fair I'm intending to use them more as beads than pendants (thus the lack of classiness <.<).

Gicko: Yeah, but I'd probably need a holder of some sort (maybe those spiral cage things). I suspect drilling a hole through them would disrupt their reliability.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-05-28, 05:42 PM
Weird I thought I gave you the english version.

As to your question: They do both.

If you click this link, then click on the English flag, you should get it in in english. (http://www.dreamofdice.com/)

This should also work. (http://www.dreamofdice.nl/index.php?_a=viewDoc&docId=13)

Serpentine
2010-05-29, 07:09 AM
Ahhh, there we go. Yeah, looks pretty great for bice-buying. Shame it doesn't have miniature versions of all the dice that I've seen so far... The holders are pretty snazzy, too, even if I probably won't go that way.

Oblivion
2010-05-29, 11:00 AM
I'm guessing that this is the style you are going for:

http://www.capestreasures.com/prodspics/Red_dice_necklace_L.jpg

If so, I believe that there are many ways of making this kind of jewelry classier, by inserting different kinds of beads between each dice...

Serpentine
2010-05-29, 11:10 AM
Yeah, that's more like it. That's very cool. Beads are a good idea...
I am right to think that drilling holes through a die would change its evenness, right?

Dallas-Dakota
2010-05-29, 01:22 PM
Yes, but you're changing their function from ''being rolled'' to ''being looked at''

So I wouldn't recommend it if you wanted to use the dice again. Well you could but..:smalltongue:

ShinyDelusion
2010-05-29, 01:47 PM
I might be interested in a necklace or bracelet if I could get some matching earrings too. I love earrings that are/look like objects (some of my favorites of the ones I have are zippers, bolts, miniature flutes and miniature cupcakes). However, you'd probably have to find smaller dice to do earrings since bigger dice would probably feel heavy unless they were hollowed out or made of lighter material than average dice.

Even if you can't do earrings, I still think this is a cool idea and I may end up interested in just a necklace or bracelet anyway. :smallsmile:

Serpentine
2010-05-29, 11:55 PM
DD: I was asking for the possibility of using them again, as someone suggested before :smalltongue:

Shiny: Well, I could maybe have a shot at making earrings as well, but there are actually lots of places around the place you can buy dice earrings (e.g. that Dutch site). Maybe if you find a pair you like, I could make a necklace and bracelet to go with it.

How do you finish the ends of wire if you use them to string several beads together? I was originally asking for an idea I've had for making a request from a friend of mine for a cross of dice, but now I'm thinking I'll just glue them together. It'd still be handy to know, though. Do you pound the ends down to make a sort of nail head? Do you just glue on a little bead or straight onto the main beads? Do you not bother at all?

Zanaril
2010-05-30, 01:53 AM
How do you finish the ends of wire if you use them to string several beads together? I was originally asking for an idea I've had for making a request from a friend of mine for a cross of dice, but now I'm thinking I'll just glue them together. It'd still be handy to know, though. Do you pound the ends down to make a sort of nail head? Do you just glue on a little bead or straight onto the main beads? Do you not bother at all?

Maybe try bending the wire back and threading the end back into the previous bead, then threading another bead over the loop of wire left and gluing it?

Draconi Redfir
2010-05-31, 05:16 PM
drill a hole only part of the way into the end dice, then fill it with superglue, and carefully thread the wire into it? if it works then you got yourself a prity swanky lookign cross.

Serpentine
2010-05-31, 11:39 PM
Bunch of ideas. This is good. Thanks.
I'm trying to find a drill... Thought I found a cute little hand-held one, but it turned out to just be a bit holder :smallfrown: Oh well, I'll have a look at this other one I saw on Ebay, even if it's plug-in rather than battery powered...
Got a whole lot of beads and things, in the meantime.

Serpentine
2010-06-09, 11:35 PM
My jeweller's drill just arrived =3
edit: It smells of plastic and petrol :smallyuk:
edit mk. 2: The Hell is that power plug? :smallconfused: Time to look for a converter, I suppose :smallsigh:

Serpentine
2010-06-20, 04:33 AM
So, I got mah drill an' mah converter an' mah test die. Problems:
1. The two bits it comes with are both too big. I bought a new, smaller, one but
2. I've misplaced it :smallsigh: and
3. It doesn't fit. There's a few little dooveywhatsits that sit in the end of the drill and hold the bits. The smallest one is too small for my new bit (too small for any bit, I think...), and the next largest is too large. It's oddly designed - I would've thought screwing it in would make it close up and be reasonably adjustable, but apparently not, or not much at all. So I'll go look for a new one, which will have to involve buying a new smaller bit, assuming I don't find it again, and taking one of the dooveywhatsits because I don't know what they're called.
4. The drill bits that came with the drill don't work on dice plastic. I tried both of them. They don't get in more than a millimeter or two. The new bit I bought specifies that it works on plastic, so it might be a bit different and I'll try it (see #3) before I start panicking.

This is tricky :sigh:

Draconi Redfir
2010-06-20, 04:46 AM
ouch. wish i knew about cutting into plastic, most i ever did was push down on a dull knife untill the plastic snapped, dont think that will really help here.

best of luck to you!

Serpentine
2010-06-21, 04:46 AM
So I saw the hardware guy.
Regarding the previous points:
1 & 2. I bought 3 new bits, all different sizes.
3. Apparently the dooveywhatsits were used on drills for the space of about 2 years before everyone went "wtf? this are dum" and scrapped them. He doesn't think it will be possible to buy new ones of different sizes. However, he reckons that if I bring the drill in he should be able to replace the part for me. So that's good. Annoying, but good.
4. I took in one of the bits that came with it (go me!), and he said it's really, really blunt. The new ones should be able to drill the plastic without any problems.

Progress!

Phae Nymna
2010-06-26, 06:57 PM
Oh em gee! Those dice from Dream of Dice are REALLY PRETTY.
8D

Serpentine
2010-06-26, 10:53 PM
I use this as an excuse to update.

The hardware guy says that, despite what it says on the packaging, what I have is not a drill. Thanks, eBay :smallsigh: So he can't replace the chuck, and I need to buy new collets of the right size (1.5mm, 2mm). But there seem to be heaps of different sorts of collets, so how do I get the right one? :smallsigh:
But I did get new drill bits, and he reckons the smallest should fit in the smallest colletst, so I'll try that out at least.