PDA

View Full Version : New Mysteries[Shadowcaster, PEACH]

lsfreak
2010-05-28, 02:00 PM
Here's some new mysteries I've come up with. They are meant to be a mix of buffing, debuffing, and pure offense; I haven't gotten around to getting the pure utility mysteries yet. Any comments are welcome, especially related to balance.

Ebon Vigor
1 - Thickened Blood: Use shadows to heal wounds or cause weakness
2 - Nightdancer: Boosts AC and Reflexes of the subject
3 - Alacrity: Enhances subject's offensive speed
Weary Soul
1 - Creeping Chill: Tendrils of cold shadow damage and weaken an enemy
2 - Leaping Shadow: A bolt of darkness blinds those it strikes
3 - Nightshade: Inflicts negative levels and possibly sickens an enemy
Feral Shades
4 - Twilight Hunters: Summon forth shadowy predators
5 - Ravenous Dark: Darkness attacks the mind and body of those who enter
6 - Dark Flight: Gives the subjects shadowy wings
Shadowed Garrison
4 - Ephemeral Blade: Make a weapon target flat-footed or touch AC
5 - Shadow Into Metal: Create yourself armor, of enhance existing armor with shadow
6 - Living Armory: Cause weapons and armor to attack their owners
Eclipse of Life
7 - Stillborn Night: Make an area silent and deathly cold
8 - Shadowflow: Shadows rip life energies from foes and impart them on allies
9 - Nightfall: The ruined Plane is made manifest, subjecting everything to the decay of time

Ebon Vigor
Thickened Blood
Apprentice, Ebon Vigor
Level/School: 1st/Necromancy
Range: Touch
Target: Living creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will half (harmless); see text
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless); see text
Tendrils of shadow thicken the air around the subject, running along the skin and seeping into veins.
You heal the target 1d6 points of damage per caster level (max 5d6). Alternatively, the target takes 1d6 points of nonlethal damage per caster level (max 5d6).

Nightdancer
Apprentice, Ebon Vigor
Level/School: 2nd/Transmutation
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 10 minutes/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
The subject's shadow seems to push back, helping them twirl out of harm's way.
The target gains a +1 dodge bonus to AC and a +1 bonus to all saves, and an additional +1 bonus for every 6 caster levels (maximum +4 at 18th level). For the duration of the effect, the subject's shadow moves as if it is subtly pushing them out of harm's way, which can be noticed with a DC20 Spot check.

Alacrity
Apprentice, Ebon Vigor
Level/School: 3rd/Transmutation
Range: Close
Target: 1 creature, plus an addition creature per 5 levels, no two of which are more than 30 ft. apart
Duration: 1 round/level
Darkness seeps into the target's muscles, dripping like sweat.
The subjects' bodies are infused with shadow, allowing them to move with great speed. The subjects gain a 30-foot enhancement bonus to speed, and an additional attack when taking a full attack action (which does not stack with haste or similar effects). At 8th level, the subjects can make up to 2 attacks on a charge or spring attack. At 15th level, they can make up to 3 attacks on a charge or spring attack.

Weary Soul
Creeping Chill
Apprentice, Weary Soul
Level/School: 1st/Evocation [Cold]
Range: Medium
Effect: Ray
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes
A bolt of shadow flies through the air, twisting a chilling around your target.
If your attack hits, the target takes 1d4 points of cold damage per level (max 5d4) and takes a -2 penalty to Dexterity for 1 round/level. A successful Fortitude removes the Dexterity penalty.

Leaping Shadow
Apprentice, Weary Soul
Level/School: 2nd/Evocation [Darkness]
Target: One or more creatures; see text
Duration: Permanent; see text
Saving Throw: Will partial; see text
A bolt of darkness leaps from your finger and finds its way into your subject's eyes, a swirling darkness behind the pupils.
The target must make a Will save or be permanently blinded. On a successful save, the target instead suffers 20% miss chance for 1 round. For every 5 caster levels beyond 3rd, the bolt leaps to another target within 15 feet, but as the bolt jumps from target to target, they do not all need to be within 15 feet of each other.

Nightshade
Apprentice, Weary Soul
Level/School: 3rd/Necromancy
Target: One creature touched
Duration: 1 minute/level
The touched creature takes 1d4 negative levels and is sickened. Both of these effects last 1 minute/level. A successful Fortitude save halves the negative levels and negates the sickness. An undead creature instead gains 1d4x5 temporary hit points, which last 10 minutes.

Feral Shades
Twilight Hunters
Initiate, Stalkers of Night
Level/School: 4th/Conjuration (Summoning)
Effect: One or more summoned creatures, no two of which are more than 30 ft. apart
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
From the empty shadows of trees and rocks come forth lithe, feline shapes.
This mystery functions are summon monster I, except as noted here. You can summon 1 dark tiger, 2 dark lions, or 4 dark leopards.

Ravenous Dark
Level/School: 5th/Illusion (Phantasm) [Fear, Mind-Affecting]
Area: 20-foot-radius emanation, centered on a point in space
A cloud of darkness erupts from the ground, billowing out. When fear begins to overwhelm those within, hungry maws coalesce; their own fear tears flesh to shreds.
The area is covered as a darkness spell. Any creature within or moving through the area affected by this mystery takes 5d6 damage. In addition, they must make a Will save or take 2 points of Constitution damage and be immobilized for 1 round.

Dark Flight
Initiate, Stalkers of Night
Level/School: 6th/Transmutation
Target: One creature/3 levels
Duration: 10 minutes/level
Enormous black wings, like those of some unearthly bird of prey, erupt from the target's back.
The subjects can fly at a speed of 60 feet (40 feet in medium or heavy armor, or if carrying a medium or heavy load). They can ascend at half speed and descend at double speed, and their maneuverability is good. The subjects of this mystery can charge but not run while flying, and cannot carry aloft more than their maximum load plus any armor they wears.
Should the mystery duration expire while a subject is still aloft, the subject is wrapped in shadow and floats downwards at 120 feet per round for 1d6 rounds. If it does not reach the ground in that time, it falls the rest of the distance. If this mystery is dispelled, subjects fall in such a manner, but not if negated by an antimagic field.

Shaded Garrison
Ephemeral Blade
Level/School: 4th/Illusion (shadow)
Target: One weapon or up to 50 projectiles
Saving Throw: None
Shadows pour from the blade. It's hard to tell if there's even metal underneath.
The first attack each round with the weapon is either made as a touch attack, or the target is flat-footed against the attack (chosen upon casting the mystery).

Shadow Into Metal
Level/School: 5th/Abjuration
Range: Personal or touch; see text
Target: You or touched suit of armor; see text
Duration: 10 minutes/level (D)
Shadows bend and weave together, and soon you are coated in what appears the finest of mithril plate. Shadows pour from the seams, constantly obscuring any perceived weaknesses in the armor.
Shadow harness grants you a +8 armor bonus and a +4 shield bonus to AC , but without weight, armor check penalty, arcane spell failure, or speed reduction. You also gain concealment while this mystery is in effect. If you instead cast this mystery on a piece of armor, the item's enhancement bonus to AC is increased by +1 for every 4 caster levels, the wearer gains concealment, and optionally the armor takes on the look of shadowy full plate.

Living Armory
Initiate, Shaded Garrison
Level/School: 6th/Transmutation
Target: Up to one creature/level, no two of which can be more than 30 feet apart
Duration: 1 round/2 levels
This spell has three separate but concurrent effects. The spell allows two saves, one for the armor's effects and one for the weapon's effects.
First, all nonmagical weapons and armor carried by the subjects of this spell immediately disintegrate into nothing (no save), though those hidden in extradimensional spaces are immune.
Secondly, magical armor is given semblance of life. It twists and contorts, imposing a penalty to AC equal to the armor bonus it gives. Twice a round, the armor attempts to pin its wearer (who must then break the grapple to act). The armor's grapple modifier is equal to your caster level + your Charisma modifier + any enhancement bonus to AC the armor has. A successful Will save negates the grappling, but not the penalty to AC.
Finally, magic weapon lurch from their owner's grasp and attack their owners twice a round. The weapons make attack rolls using your caster level + your Charisma modifier + any enhancements on the weapon, and damage as weapon damage + your Charisma modifier + any enhancements on the weapon. If the subject makes his Will save, his weapon instead becomes nonmagical for the duration of the mystery.

Eclipse of Life
Stillborn Night
Master, Eclipse of Life
Level/School: 7th/Transmutation [Cold, Darkness]
Area: 40-foot-radius emanation, 40 feet high, centered on a point in space
The area darkens and drops to temperatures far below freezing, sending those within into uncontrollable shivering. Even more unsettling is the absolute silence within.
All light in the area is dropped by one category, and any spells of the Light descriptor of 6th level or lower are suppressed while in the area of this mystery. The entire area is also silenced, as the spell. All creatures in or passing through the area take 4d6 points of cold damage per round. Any target that takes damage from the mystery has their movement speed halved and takes a -4 penalty to AC, saves, attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, skill checks, and ability checks while in the area and 1d4 rounds after they leave. A successful Fortitude save halves the damage and penalties for that round. Targets must make additional saves each round as long as they remain in the area.

Shadowflow
Master, Eclipse of Life
Level/School: 8th/Necromancy
Range: 30 feet
Target: Enemies up to 1 creature/2 levels, and allies up to 1 creature/2 levels, all of whom must be within 20 feet of you; see text
Saving Throw: Will half (harmless); see text
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless); see text
Waves of shadow ripple off your foes and and flow like a dozen streams of shadow into your allies.
This mystery does 1d6 points of damage/level to those you target as enemies. They are entitled to a Will save for half damage, and spell resistance applies to this damage. Half the total hit points drained in this way (not including any hit points beyond that which killed a creature) are then split evenly among your targeted allies as healing, with excess becoming temporary hit points that last 1 hour before dissipating. No single person can receive more than 4 point of combined healing and temporary hit points per caster level. If an ally has negative levels, they are removed first at a rate of 25 healing per negative level.

Nightfall
Master, Eclipse of Life
Level/School: 9th/Necromancy
Area: 30-foot-radius emanation, 30 feet high, centered on a point in space
Duration: 1 round/2 levels
Saving Throw: Fortitude half or Will half; see text
Shadows darken and grow, filling the entire area. The shadowstuff is so thick that the lives of those within are in peril of joining the ruins of the Plane forever.
All living creatures within or moving through the area take a number of negative levels equal to half your caster level (Fortitude halves). All non-living creatures take 2d6 points of damage per caster level (Will halves). Within one round, plants in the area die and wither; by the 5th round, trees become nothing but lifeless monuments and even such things as wagons and buildings take on aged, worn appearances.

EDIT: A few minor changes or clarifications
EDIT2: Updated through post #6

Ferrin
2010-05-28, 02:19 PM
Nice, some suggestions;

I'd change Thickened Blood to give Temporary Hit Points instead, I don't quite see shadows healing, more as a buffer against further damage.

You should change Nightdancer to be for all saves instead of just reflex.

I'd change Alacrity to be the same as Haste, and the flavor as the shadows pulling there arms or legs, enhancing them. I don't quite see shadows as going inside of something, but allright.

Creeping Chill? So 5d4 damage which requires a ranged touch attack and something useless? I'm tempted to say to make it dexterity damage and removing the duration alltogether.

Leaping Shadow, hmm, I like it. But I'm sure it's because it's a bit to powerfull, a SoD at level 2 with a secondary effect if they fail the save. Oh, and it hits multiple targets to!

Specify the duration with Nightshade, which does it effect? Are the negative levels permanent? Can they cause level loss?

Twilight Hunter. Allright, a summoning spell, not much to say about that other then that it will be useless after a few levels.

Ravenous Dusk. The Deeper Darkness spell actualy functions like darkness, just bigger and with a longer duration, change the text to mention Darkness instead. Also; 5th level mystery which specifies no target(I assume touch, as is darkness) Which can only be used on objects. Allright, you're going to be in the area yourself, not to mention that it's a SoD with secondary damage.

Dark Flight: Not much to say, I'd put it at a lower level myself.

Now I'm tired and going to drink some milk, I might look at the others later. :smallbiggrin:

lsfreak
2010-05-28, 03:46 PM
Thickened Blood - Might just be the way I view healing, but healing makes sense to me. Easy change, though, if others feel the same.

Nightdancer - Changed.

Alacrity - I dislike copying spells. Added additional targets.

Creeping Chill - I compared it to Life Fade when making it, and re-comparing, I changed it to a -2 Dex penalty for 1rnd/lvl. Weaker than fatigue, but it's actual damage and it's ranged.

Leaping Shadow - I'm unsure about this one. I dropped the number of targets (8th, 13th, and 18th) so it can't affect as many. I compared it to glitterdust (many more targets, no-save secondary effect to invisibles) and blindness/deafness (permanent). I think I'm okay with it now.

Nightshade clarified.

Considering switching Twilight Hunters and Dark Flight, but I'm unsure. I wanted Dark Flight to be a longer-duration mystery; it currently effects multiple targets and lasts ten times as long as fly.

Ravenous Dark clarified a bit. Damage a flat 5d6. Immobile isn't nearly bad enough to qualify as SoD, and I purposefully made it a fear effect, as there tends to be a high number of boosts to save-versus-fear. Not to mention someone immune to fear ignores everything but the darkness. It's a good 5th-level spell to be sure, but I don't think it's too much right now (compare Cloudkill, Freezing Fog at next level).

Ferrin
2010-05-28, 04:00 PM
Thickened Blood - Might just be the way I view healing, but healing makes sense to me. Easy change, though, if others feel the same.

Nightdancer - Changed.

Alacrity - I dislike copying spells. Added additional targets.

Creeping Chill - I compared it to Life Fade when making it, and re-comparing, I changed it to a -2 Dex penalty for 1rnd/lvl. Weaker than fatigue, but it's actual damage and it's ranged.

Leaping Shadow - I'm unsure about this one. I dropped the number of targets (8th, 13th, and 18th) so it can't affect as many. I compared it to glitterdust (many more targets, no-save secondary effect to invisibles) and blindness/deafness (permanent). I think I'm okay with it now.

Nightshade clarified.

Considering switching Twilight Hunters and Dark Flight, but I'm unsure. I wanted Dark Flight to be a longer-duration mystery; it currently effects multiple targets and lasts ten times as long as fly.

Ravenous Dark clarified a bit. Damage a flat 5d6. Immobile isn't nearly bad enough to qualify as SoD, and I purposefully made it a fear effect, as there tends to be a high number of boosts to save-versus-fear. Not to mention someone immune to fear ignores everything but the darkness. It's a good 5th-level spell to be sure, but I don't think it's too much right now (compare Cloudkill, Freezing Fog at next level).

Leaping Shadows: Well, allright, but comparing things to glitterdust is bad.

Dark flight as it stands is a 6th level mystery, fly is a 3rd level spell. Overland Flight, a personal range only flight spell, lasts for 1 hour per level and gives a speed of 40-ft.

...Allright, you win with Dark flight. :smallbiggrin:

Hmm, you have a point with that.

peacenlove
2010-05-29, 12:47 AM
Always happy to see more shadowcaster work :smallbiggrin:

Thickened Blood needs clarification. Is it positive energy (if yes it needs the [Healing] Descriptor) or can it heal undead? Also it is far better than Cure Moderate wounds and more metamagic friendly however it can stay as it is because healing in combat is weak.

Nightdancer needs a cap

How does alacrity work with pounce? I like it however it gives a unique ability :smallsmile:

Creeping Chill can be medium range or you can increase the dexterity penalty a bit at higher caster levels.

In leaping shadow replace "on a failed save" with "on a successful save"

I like all the feral shadows path, gonna import it on my shadowcaster ASAP.:smallwink:

Switch ephemeral blade and shadow into metal, the first is too strong for its level, the second can be safely lower level since at those levels shadowcasters do wear armor. Also at shadow into metal there is no "partial concealment" this is a relic from 3.0 edition. Its either concealment or total concealment.

Stillborn night's duration is unnecessarily high. Should be 1 round per level.

Shadowflow's damage is too low (1d6 per target? cmon...). Should be 1d6 or 1d8 per caster level with a cap of 20d6 or d8 respectively.

At nightfall when do the plants die? when the spell is cast or when the duration of the spell runs out?

Asking permission to work on suitable Path masteries for these paths please :smallbiggrin:

lsfreak
2010-05-29, 03:49 AM
Thickened Blood needs clarification. Is it positive energy (if yes it needs the [Healing] Descriptor) or can it heal undead? Also it is far better than Cure Moderate wounds and more metamagic friendly however it can stay as it is because healing in combat is weak.
I was okay with it being a bit more powerful, due to the combination of mysteries tending to be a bit more powerful and in-combat healing tending to be rather subpar. The target is one living creature, with excludes undead. I specifically wanted it non-positive-energy healing, a bit like crusaders.

Nightdancer needs a cap
Added.

How does alacrity work with pounce? I like it however it gives a unique ability :smallsmile:
It was intended as an alternative source of pounce. I'm unsure how it should/would interact.

Creeping Chill can be medium range or you can increase the dexterity penalty a bit at higher caster levels.
Changed to medium range, then. I think boosting the Dex penalty makes it less of a choice between this and Life Fades, and more of a given. On the other hand, eliminating charging is rather potent...

In leaping shadow replace "on a failed save" with "on a successful save"
Woops!

I like all the feral shadows path, gonna import it on my shadowcaster ASAP.:smallwink:
Glad to hear it!

Switch ephemeral blade and shadow into metal, the first is too strong for its level, the second can be safely lower level since at those levels shadowcasters do wear armor. Also at shadow into metal there is no "partial concealment" this is a relic from 3.0 edition. Its either concealment or total concealment.
I'm not 100% convinced, but I'll probably change it anywho. Compare with Brilliant Blade (SpC), a 6th level spell that just gives a weapon brilliant for minutes/level. Maybe dropping it to just 1/rnd isn't enough to warrant two level drops, though.
Partial concealment was meant to be 20%. Fixed.

Stillborn night's duration is unnecessarily high. Should be 1 round per level.
I was comparing it with Freezing Fog and friends when I made it, which are all minutes/level; less raw offense (barring metamagic) but damn hard to get out of compared to this (this started out as a Conj[Creation] but I ended up changing it a bit more).

Shadowflow's damage is too low (1d6 per target? cmon...). Should be 1d6 or 1d8 per caster level with a cap of 20d6 or d8 respectively.
This is a WotC-worthy mistype :smalltongue: Changed to 1d6/lvl.

At nightfall when do the plants die? when the spell is cast or when the duration of the spell runs out?
I'll add that they die within a round, trees and buildings being fully dead/weathered by 5 rounds. I considered actually damaging structures in the area, but I'm unsure I like the consequences then of, say, casting it within a stone tunnel (it collapses, possibly on you). What do you think?

Asking permission to work on suitable Path masteries for these paths please :smallbiggrin:
Of course!

EDIT: Any comments on living armory? I simply had the mental image of armor attacking its wearer and decided to run with it. I've no idea how it is power-level wise.

Ferrin
2010-05-29, 04:30 AM
Living armory is... unbalanced, to say the least. It gives no save against non-magical armor and weapons? What the hell? No, remove that part.

The grappling of the armor, not sure what to say about that.

The weapons attacking there owners TWICE a round? Once is enough, trust me. Oh, and if he makes it's save, don't make it non-magical for the duration. Not only will that disintegrate it with a second casting, it also means giving anyone with a magic weapon a fairly high penaly without a save at that level.

I've looked at life fades again, and I can't say why anyone would take it. It deals nonlethal damage, is touch range, and the penalty is negated quite easily.

peacenlove
2010-05-29, 05:18 AM
Living Armory should not make objects non-magical and most certainly should not disintegrate them. Also clarify if one of their weapons spring to life or all of them. Make it that on a successful save the subject take a small penalty on AC, Armor check penalty, spell failure from armor, maximum dexterity from armor, weapon attacks and weapon damage, and at a failed save their armor and weapons simply do not work for their wearers and armors just hinder their wearers (no spells with somatic components can be cast, no skills affected with ACP can be used and so on). Weapons can attack their wearers (make them animated so their wearers do not simply drop them) or can inflict negative leels on them that last until the weapon is removed (just like picking up a weapon that doesn't like you does)

For nightfall, just reduce the maximum HP and hardness of the surrounding stone and metal objects by half permanently (they corrode from age and misuse). Thus they won't break if you do not want it.

Ephemeral blade is similar to the 3rd level paladin only spell find the gap but far more versatile (ie it allows hitting targets with good touch armor classes since it makes targets flat footed) and its touch range rather than personal (that means Chain-able). so it can be safely considered a 5th level mystery.

Actually life fades's damage type is one of the best out there since it can't be resisted, and you instantly know which enemies are immune to it (undead, constructs, creatures with regeneration). Also it is 1d6 / level, fairly damaging and in line with shocking grasp, which too provides a benefit.

Now its time for the path masteries:
Revenge of the Fallen (Master)
Life failed to support your fallen enemies. Now they only wish to extinguish it.
Prerequisites: Ability to cast the Nightfall mystery
Benefits: Whenever a creature dies and you dealt damage to it at the last round it lived with one of your mysteries, the creature immediately rises again and gains the Umbral template (found at savage species). He loses all benefits of his equipment if any since its incorporeal and he does not obey you, however he will not attack you or your (designated at the time of its creation) allies. He will attack your enemies at the best of his abilities however he can't move more than 60 feet from the square where he died. After 1 round / caster level the shadow is destroyed and the soul finally rests.
This ability is a necromancy effect usable 1 / 5 rounds as an immediate action and works only on creatures that the umbal template is applicable with HD equal or lower to your caster level.

Doom Charge (Initiate)
The martial knowledge of countless centuries is now revealed to you.
Prerequisites: Ability to cast the Living Armory mystery
Benefits: You become proficient with all simple and martial weapons as well as light and medium armor and all shields except tower shields. You suffer no arcane spell failure with armor you are proficient. This is an extraordinary ability.
In addition you can spend a full round action to teleport yourself or an allied creature adjacent to you, in a square adjacent to a target enemy within line of sight and effect, no farther than double your move speed. At the end of this movement the affected creature can make a melee attack. This attack gains all the benefits and drawbacks of a charge attack, so if the affected creature has features that enhance it, they apply at this maneuver too.

Thrill of the Hunt (Initiate)
The hunger for blood and the smell of fear are enough to drive anyone into a killing frenzy.
Prerequisites: Ability to cast the Dark Flight mystery
Benefits: For each allied creature adjacent to you, you gain a +1 bonus to your melee damage rolls.
For each enemy creature adjacent to you, you gain a +1 bonus to your melee attack rolls.
Your summoned creatures also gain the benefits of this path mastery.

Corrupter of Flesh (Apprentice)
You have inflicted so many debilitating effects with your abilities, that you gained a primal understanding of how flesh creatures work.
Prerequisites: Ability to cast the Nightshade mystery
Benefits: Heal is always a class skill for you and you gain the Skill Focus (Heal) feat for free (This is an extraordinary ability).
In addition you can discern a creature's current and total hit points, his strength, dexterity and constitution score as well as their Hit Die total with a swift action at will. This is a divination effect.

Soul Link (Apprentice)
You have found out that by connecting yourself with other creatures via shadow magic, you can protect them better.
Prerequisites: Ability to cast the Alacrity mystery
Benefits: Whenever an allied creature affected by your mysteries takes damage or ability damage, you may instead prevent and take up to 10 damage or 1 ability damage instead. This damage cannot be prevented by any means.