PDA

View Full Version : (4e) Making a Swordmage|Warlord

Blazen
2010-05-30, 12:28 PM
So I am playing in LFR, and since my current character is getting about to level out of 1-4, I decided to start working on a new character. I eventually decided to make a hybrid Swordmage|Warlord. Here is what I have so far.

Level 1

Genasi

Str 18
Con 11
Dex 13
Int 18
Wis 10
Cha 8

Chosen features:
Hybrid Warlord Will
Aegis of Assault
Combat Leader (Hybrid) (debated between this, and Battlefront Leader)
Cindersoul Genasi
Auspicious Birth Background

Trained Skills: Arcana, Athletics, History

Equipment: Adventurers Kit, Khopesh, Leather Armor

Feats: Hybrid Talent (Swordmage Warding)

Powers:

At-Will:
Greenflame Blade
Brash Assault

Encounter:
Diabolic Stratagem

Daily:
Bastion of Defense

What changes if any would you guys recommend.

Mando Knight
2010-05-30, 12:37 PM
I'd think about swapping out Greenflame for Sword Burst, but that's a bit situational. Depending on the rest of your party, Commander's Strike is better than any other at-will available to a Warlord, or completely useless.

Khopesh is a decently deadly weapon, but the Longsword is generally the best one-handed military heavy blade in the game. Usually, the +3 proficiency is worth more than Brutal 1, especially since the Swordmage has a chronic low-[W] problem.

Blazen
2010-05-31, 02:39 PM
I am considering replacing greenflame blade, but I am not a fan of Swordburst. I risk hitting teamates, and it would require me to get implement feats along side weapon ones (though I know it would still gain some benefits from weapon enhancements. I am not too sure about commander's strike either. This is RPGA so I never know what my party will be until we start. I will be switching Khopesh with Longsword (though I will probably be getting Bastard Swords on level up).

Yakk
2010-05-31, 02:47 PM
I am considering replacing greenflame blade, but I am not a fan of Swordburst. I risk hitting teamates, and it would require me to get implement feats along side weapon ones (though I know it would still gain some benefits from weapon enhancements. I am not too sure about commander's strike either. This is RPGA so I never know what my party will be until we start. I will be switching Khopesh with Longsword (though I will probably be getting Bastard Swords on level up).
Um, you consider your teammates to be enemies?

Most feats that work with heavy-blade-as-weapon work with heavy-blade-as-implement.

Mando Knight
2010-05-31, 02:54 PM
Um, you consider your teammates to be enemies?

Most feats that work with heavy-blade-as-weapon work with heavy-blade-as-implement.

Exactly. If you're worried about the Expertise feats, don't worry, they've been made obsolete already by another Expertise feat. Versatile Expertise applies to all attacks made through the chosen two groups, out of both weapons and implements.

Blazen
2010-05-31, 03:15 PM
Ah, I was mistaken. I thought Sword Burst hit each creature, not enemy. So now the toss up is between that, Greenflame, and Luring Strike. As for Warlord powers, both Direct the Strike, and Intuitive strike seem like good choices. I am also considering Wolf Pack Tactics, or Viper's Strike.