PDA

View Full Version : Devotion feats:

Os1ris09
2010-05-30, 01:22 PM
Ok so I have been reading around on the boards about devotion feats from the Complete Champion. Since I don't have the book I am realying on the GITP to help me understand the concept of them.

To take a Devotion feat one must already have the domain selected as one of the two/three domains given and THEN "sacrifice" that domain for its corresponding Devotion feat?

For example to take Strength Devotion you must already have the Strength Domain and then give it up for Strength Devotion.

Eurus
2010-05-30, 01:24 PM
Not quite. You can take a devotion feat as a normal feat, or you can give up access to that domain to get it as a bonus feat instead.

Greenish
2010-05-30, 01:24 PM
To take a Devotion feat one must already have the domain selected as one of the two/three domains given and THEN "sacrifice" that domain for its corresponding Devotion feat?

For example to take Strength Devotion you must already have the Strength Domain and then give it up for Strength Devotion.You can do that, or you can just pick them up as normal feats. Most of them don't even have any prerequisites.

Thespianus
2010-05-30, 01:25 PM
No. As far as I have understood it, it's either or:

Either:

You have access to a Domain (for example, as a Cleric) you can sacrifice the domain granted power and the spells you get from that domain and instead pick the corresponding Devotion Feat.

Or:

You can spend one of your normal feats to pick a Devotion Feat.

Ninjas? EDIT: Yes, Ninjas.

Os1ris09
2010-05-30, 01:30 PM
Ok thanks GITP. I now got why you guys were saying sacrifice the Domain on these forums. :smalltongue:

lsfreak
2010-05-30, 01:38 PM
Note that normal characters can only get two Devotion feats, ever. A cleric can get three, but one of them must be from sacrificing a domain.

Note that clerics don't sacrifice a domain granted power, they sacrifice the entire domain, including access to the spells it gives. There's sometimes some confusion about whether it's just granted power, or the entire domain.

Curmudgeon
2010-05-30, 02:02 PM
Also note there's no time constraint on when you can swap a domain for the corresponding feat. It can be done any time after you obtain the feat. You could even decide to swap Travel domain for Travel Devotion in mid-combat if you wanted. You'd lose any prepared Travel spells in addition to the domain's granted power, but the switch would be immediate, and then you could use the feat with just the standard swift action. (You can't switch back, so this is strictly a once-only option.)

Os1ris09
2010-05-30, 02:23 PM
Also note there's no time constraint on when you can swap a domain for the corresponding feat. It can be done any time after you obtain the feat. You could even decide to swap Travel domain for Travel Devotion in mid-combat if you wanted. You'd lose any prepared Travel spells in addition to the domain's granted power, but the switch would be immediate, and then you could use the feat with just the standard swift action. (You can't switch back, so this is strictly a once-only option.)

That just sounds like cheese....... LOL :smallbiggrin:

Curmudgeon
2010-05-30, 05:05 PM
That just sounds like cheese....... LOL :smallbiggrin:
No, I don't think so. The Travel domain granted power is really pretty good, and so are the spells (6 out of 9 aren't on the regular Cleric list). You're unlikely to know that dumping all of that for Travel Devotion is the right move, and it's an irrevocable switch. The fact that you can do so any time you can act, including in combat, is just a curiosity of the rules. There's no cheese there that you haven't paid for.

Os1ris09
2010-05-30, 05:10 PM
But the mere fact that you can do it on any of your actions including during combat is kinda cheesy. I am just saying wouldn't you have to select it during non-stressful situations?

Greenish
2010-05-30, 05:11 PM
But the mere fact that you can do it on any of your actions including during combat is kinda cheesy.That word you keep using. I don't think it means what you think it means.

Pluto
2010-05-30, 05:13 PM
That word you keep using. I don't think it means what you think it means.
Doesn't it have something to do with dairy?

Os1ris09
2010-05-30, 05:14 PM
Probably true since I have not found a definitive definition of cheese. I know pun pun is cheesy and so is the dragonwrought kobold in some fashion. So I recognize the term just haven't found a definition of it yet. In lamens terms I guess it means completely and utterly broken by bending the rules in a ridiculous fashion.

@ above: ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!