PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a Class

Cheesy74
2010-05-31, 10:17 AM
So I have just lost my beloved bear warrior and am making a new character at level 12. My group loadout is as follows:

1. Nigh-invincible half-orc barbarian/fighter/half-orc paragon/orc paragon 14
2. Blaster dwarf sorcerer 14
3. Favored Soul of St. Cuthbert, designed for healing and damage 13
4. Half-elf Bard/druid customized gestalt character, extremely strong buffs 12

My DM is pretty open about sourcebook use, but he prefers players to keep their splatbooks to 3 or fewer books, not counting core. In addition, he's not too familiar with ToB rules, so he'd prefer I not use that book.

My initial ideas were as follows:

1. Erudite of some type. I'm interested in the concept and our group lacks any utility magicks.
2. A scout, probably designed for skill monkey purposes.
3. A warlock, possibly moving into Eldritch Disciple.

I'm not looking for any major work or intense assistance here, but if you guys see a role that could be filled and know a good class to do it with (or want to recommend one of the ideas I've had), please post to say so.

Marriclay
2010-05-31, 10:26 AM
If you want a skillmonkey, look no further than the Factotum! it's on page 14 of dungeonscape, and not only are almost all of its abilities keyed off of intelligence, it literally has every skill as a class skill.

Quoting something from the Factotum Handbook

Factotums

Holy doglickers, Factotums.

See that 17 you have? That's 17 Int. That's a goddamn +3 bonus you have there. Factotums get 6+Int Skills per level. And get this? ALL SKILLS EVER. By the way? TAKE ABLE LEARNER AS A FEAT FOR YOUR FIRST LEVEL I WILL TELL YOU WHY LATER. IT'S IN RACES OF DESTINY. YOU KNOW THIS FEAT IS BADASS BECAUSE IT'S FROM RACES OF DESTINY.

You want to be a Samurai? Iaijutsu Focus. Use Magical Device? You can use PSIONIC DEVICES too, hell yes. Spellcraft? Autohypnosis? You have EVERY SKILL IN THE GAME. Can't stop now, you're SKILLMONKEY SUPREME.

You say average BAB? I say you can do damn near everything you want to, because you're a frigging Factotum. You're that badass. Hit third level? Oh holy hell, you're adding your Int to all your Str and Dex skills and ability checks. In addition to everything else. You can also pick up random spells as an SLA.

Go read them in Dungeonscape. They're incredibly awesome. At 8th level? You're so freaking Factotum, you **** extra standard actions. For only three Inspiration Points per standard action. That refill each encounter. What's that? You want more Inspiration Points? FONT OF INSPIRATION. Now you're BLEEDING Inspiration Points to SKILLMONEY EVERYTHING and be GENERALLY AWESOME.

And After 8th level? Take Chameleon as a PrC. Not only can you do everything as a Factotum, you can now do it EVEN MORE HARDCORE as a Chameleon. What's that? You want to be a Wizard? ARCANE FOCUS UP IN THIS CLASS. Feel Clericy? DIVINE FOCUS. Want to smash skulls? MARTIAL FOCUS, WHAT? You know what else? You get to toss aorund ABILITY SCORE INCREASES. UNTYPED ONES.

WHAT IS THIS MADNESS?

And you get a FLOATING FEAT THAT YOU CAN SWITCH AORUND. You know what THAT MEANS?

Take a damn metamagic feat or something that qualifies you for CRAFTING MAGIC ITEMS. Use your CHAMELEON SPELLS to CRAFT MAGIC ITEMS. And WANDS. And SCROLLS. Become even MORE AWESOME.

AND WHEN YOU KEEP GOING, YOU CAN GET TWO FOCUSES.

Martial AND Divine Focus? Come to daddy, I'm a smashing bastard and can keep all you NON-AWESOME BASTARDS alive. Arcane and Divine? MAGIC UP IN THIS DAY.

Did I mention there are NATURE and ROGUE focuses too? HELL yes.

And once Chameleon's done with it's ten levels? HELL I DONT KNOW, YOU'RE ALREADY AWESOME. TAKE TWO LEVELS OF MARTIAL ROGUE OR SOMETHING. OR MORE FACTOTUM WHY NOT.

So yeah. Factotum 8/Chameleon10/I have no idea what 2.

Ruinix
2010-05-31, 11:55 AM
I second Factotum, is just rock. and can get some scout or rogue for damage, or some arcanist for full cast, or just Factotum true full skill monkey

gallagher
2010-05-31, 12:16 PM
i third factotum

however, if you dont want ot fact your otum, might i suggest a hellfire glaivelock? have a couple levels of rogue for skills and sneak attack, you will want at least a few extra skill points, because while taking a 10 in UMD is great and all, you need to have skill points to cover the rest of the DC. you will also need points in knowledge the planes, concentration, tumble is handy, hide and move silently.

Mystic Muse
2010-05-31, 12:24 PM
I fourth factotum.

Where is font of inspiration?

2xMachina
2010-05-31, 12:27 PM
Web expansion

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606

^

Mystic Muse
2010-05-31, 12:27 PM
Web expansion

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606

^

Oh wow. Just.....wow.

Greenish
2010-05-31, 12:32 PM
I'm going to suggest battlefield control/utility caster, like a wizard or an archivist.

Artificer can do utility and trapfinding.

PId6
2010-05-31, 12:41 PM
I recommend a non-spontaneous arcane utility caster. Wizard, archivist, or artificer.

Alternatively, Beguiler does both arcane casting and skillmonkeying, and doesn't require many books to pull off.

Amphetryon
2010-05-31, 12:52 PM
Scout/Mystic Ranger. Just because.

mabriss lethe
2010-05-31, 04:13 PM
I've been toying around with a binder (tome of magic)/knight of the sacred seal who is a devotee to Garyx, gaining access to the Healing and Destruction devotion feats. Bind Tenebrous. both healing and destruction can be keyed off a single use of Turn/Rebuke undead. You have infinite out of combat healing without switching your bind to Buer. It's also a fairly decent form of healing in terms of action economy. You spend rounds out of combat to implant the power within others and they can activate it when they like. Destruction makes you a walking debuff. (especially when added to a second vestige like Focalor.) Every successful strike reduces your opponent's armor/natural armor bonus by 1. And you can keep both powers active all day long.