PDA

View Full Version : What happened to crack pairing

xelliea
2010-05-31, 06:09 PM
I cant find crack parings, please give me a link and i dont mind if this deleted after someone does a link thanks.
EDIT: I know it was banned now and this thread is more of a goodbye, please dont lock this as all we are doing is saying bye to a good thread.

arguskos
2010-05-31, 06:20 PM
It was locked and removed by the Moderation Staff, never to return unless specifically permitted. I highly suggest you leave this one lie.

xelliea
2010-05-31, 06:29 PM
It was locked and removed by the Moderation Staff, never to return unless specifically permitted. I highly suggest you leave this one lie.

really is this true, and if so why?

Shale
2010-05-31, 06:31 PM
From the horse's mouth:

Sheriff of Moddingham: Given the recent story in Crack Pairings involving sexual contact between minors and family members this thread and the others like it will now be closed.

It is with considerable disappointment that I am compelled to follow through on the earlier ruling and close this and similar threads.

Please avoid blaming or recriminations against the poster or thread that was the final straw. All the effected threads played some role in reaching this result.

Please do not restart this or similar threads.

Disagreement with this decision, just as with any moderator decision should be taken up with me privately, and appealed, if necessary, to The Giant.

xelliea
2010-05-31, 06:35 PM
From the horse's mouth:

oh, so one story destroyed it :smallfrown:

Astrella
2010-05-31, 06:37 PM
Not really, Crack Pairings and the Fanservice threads had been getting warnings for quite a long time...

Shale
2010-05-31, 06:39 PM
oh, so one story destroyed it :smallfrown:

No, it was a slow buildup. To repeat:

Please avoid blaming or recriminations against the poster or thread that was the final straw. All the effected threads played some role in reaching this result.

xelliea
2010-05-31, 06:41 PM
Not really, Crack Pairings and the Fanservice threads had been getting warnings for quite a long time...

i thought itn was just about cartoon characters that arent real, how is that bad and is there atleast a place where i can find the storys V x Redcloak was good and there was nothing wrong with that was there?

may i say i am not questioning the mods i am just wondering.

doliest
2010-05-31, 06:42 PM
I got the joy of being stuck off site while the thread I had contributed to several times got perma-locked.

Astrella
2010-05-31, 06:50 PM
i thought itn was just about cartoon characters that arent real, how is that bad and is there atleast a place where i can find the storys V x Redcloak was good and there was nothing wrong with that was there?

may i say i am not questioning the mods i am just wondering.

The forums are meant to be PG-13. So explicit sexual content and such isn't allowed.

xelliea
2010-05-31, 06:51 PM
The forums are meant to be PG-13. So explicit sexual content and such isn't allowed.

i am english so what rating is that in england, is it for 13 year olds?

The Glyphstone
2010-05-31, 06:56 PM
i am english so what rating is that in england, is it for 13 year olds?

Roughly.

What we're saying is, the mods shut it down, and it's almost for certain not going to be re-opened. Ever.

Luzahn
2010-05-31, 06:57 PM
Why must entertainment die...

xelliea
2010-05-31, 07:00 PM
Roughly.

What we're saying is, the mods shut it down, and it's almost for certain not going to be re-opened. Ever.

is there maybe another website with all the storys are just to read, i mean, without opposing the mods i think some of them were not that bad.

doliest
2010-05-31, 07:06 PM
Fanfiction.net under Order of the Stick.

Lurk-Sothoth
2010-05-31, 07:06 PM
is there maybe another website with all the storys are just to read, i mean, without opposing the mods i think some of them were not that bad.

There is also the section for this comic on FanFiction.net:

http://www.fanfiction.net/comic/Order_of_the_Stick/

I think you'll find the V x Redcloak story you're looking for.

ETA: Ninja'd, of course. :smalltongue:

Onyavar
2010-05-31, 07:16 PM

I concur about not reviving it.

However, if you use the Forum search, you can still view the threads. I liked the banners most and would like to access the material in future. Are there plans to purge those threads from the forum, or will they be kept like the House of Horror?

ShinyDelusion
2010-05-31, 10:31 PM
All the stories are still available in the locked threads; locked threads are still viewable, after all. Just check one of the Crack Pairing thread's indexes under Water-Smurf for the epic V x Reddy fic(s) in question.

Some material (including WS's) can also be found on FanFiction.net. A website that also happens to have forums.

Lord of Syntax
2010-06-01, 03:35 AM
I tried to make a site, but I almost got sued for mentioning OotS characters.

The Succubus
2010-06-01, 04:35 AM
As the unofficial spokesdragocamel for the former Crack Pairing Thread, I understand and fully support the mods decision to lock it. We had been warned about inappropriate stories and for a short while things did improve. The story that got the thread locked was an incestous relationship between two nine year old children. If that was the sort of thing the thread was leading into, there is no way on Earth this or any other site would host it.

I did speak to Roland about it and it was not an easy decision for him and the other mods - there were some fine stories on there but as I said, I fully support the choice to lock the thread. Please do not ask for it to be revived.

licoot
2010-06-01, 04:49 AM
I agree, given how many times crack pairings has already crossed the line and been given a second chance, it would be best just to let it lie. However much you liked the thread

xelliea
2010-06-01, 05:20 AM
I guess what it was leading to was a bit far, it makes sense.

MReav
2010-06-01, 05:43 AM
i thought itn was just about cartoon characters that arent real,

For a time, people were inserting themselves.

Kaytara
2010-06-01, 08:07 AM
Not just some of the stories, you'll find that the crackfic community by itself has migrated to the FF.net OotS discussion forum.

Kobold-Bard
2010-06-01, 08:13 AM

Woah. Not saying anything else about it, but woah.

Yeah the Crack Pairing threads etc. were fun, but when people can't follow the rules they have to go. I had 1 story on there and I was damn proud of it, but such is life.

NXTangl
2010-06-01, 03:44 PM
There just isn't the same amount of comradeship on the FF-boards, though...

Or maybe I'm just not reading them rights?

Anyways... who want's to start a NON-SHIPPING* thread to see if we can attract them back to one place, and let the fun begin...

>_>
<_<
Wait, is it OK to ship Closak/ABD? He'll do it to himself, even if no one else does, and I think that he's one of the best people on the thread...

EDIT: Closak, Zanaril, CoffeeIncluded, Kaytara, ShinyDelusion, Dark_Stryke, The_Dark_Fiddler. Did I miss anyone?

{PleaseFindthisPleasefindthisPleaseFindthis!!!}

EDIT 2: If the new thread is found to be "like the other threads," without being judged for what is actually posted,

THE MATYRDOM WILL UNITE ALL! AND A BATTLE WILL RAGE ON THE FORA!
And that will be overkill, because I wanted an innocent fanfic thread

xelliea
2010-06-01, 04:15 PM

Anyways... who want's to start a NON-SHIPPING* thread to see if we can attract them back to one place, and let the fun begin...

>_>
<_<
Wait, is it OK to ship Closak/ABD? He'll do it to himself, even if no one else does, and I think that he's one of the best people on the thread...

EDIT: Closak, Zanaril, CoffeeIncluded, Kaytara, ShinyDelusion, Dark_Stryke, The_Dark_Fiddler. Did I miss anyone?

EDIT 2: If the new thread is found to be "like the other threads," without being judged for what is actually posted,

I was a member of the community and it was a great thread, I was going to do a story but i guess it went too far, though I dont see how it was any worse than shipping.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-06-01, 04:22 PM

>_>
<_<

Uhm, I think Roland said that non-shipping user stories were okay. I don't want to do anything until he signs off on it though.

Regardless, we all failed to keep it clean. I feel really upset, as I should have had a more watchful eye.

Zanaril
2010-06-01, 04:34 PM

It's hard to keep things rolling with so few of us. *hint*

Mystic Muse
2010-06-01, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I was sad to see it go but they had been warned quite a few times. I didn't really contribute because I'm a horrible writer.

and two nine year olds? Seriously?

although I can't really think of anybody in the comic who's nine. Let alone two related someones.

The MunchKING
2010-06-01, 05:39 PM
Yeah, I was sad to see it go but they had been warned quite a few times. I didn't really contribute because I'm a horrible writer.

and two nine year olds? Seriously?

although I can't really think of anybody in the comic who's nine. Let alone two related someones.

I assume it's V's adopted kids, but that's just a guess.

The Succubus
2010-06-01, 05:53 PM
It was a young Nale and Elan. I will not say any more about it - the story was scrubbed for a reason you know. As for reviving a somewhat more wholesome Crack Pairing thread elsewhere, I know that Coffee and Smurf were working on that and were nice enough to PM me the address, which I subsequently forgot. A shame really, as I had a rather good sequel to the story behind my current avatar.

Oh and as for the FF boards? Really make sure you know which FF address to go to, as the one I assumed it was had some very dodgy links on it.

The Giant
2010-06-01, 06:17 PM

Bull****.

Don't confuse someone saying, "Hey, Rich Burlew might sue you for this!" with me actually threatening to sue you. The only people who I have ever come close to suing since beginning the website are the people who continued to post a Czech-language mangling of my comic long after they both knew I objected and admitted that they didn't care. Well, and a game company, but that's not related.

I don't like the idea of people using my characters elsewhere, but I know that I can't sue over it. So don't post lies about me threatening legal action, unless you can produce a written communication from me, personally. (Hint: You can't.)

Regarding the other issue: A non-sexual fanfiction thread for OOTS characters would be acceptable, but should be posted in the Arts and Crafts forum rather than here, which is for discussion and analysis of the comic. It will almost certainly be locked at the first hint of sex, though, so consider yourselves duly warned.

The Succubus
2010-06-01, 06:19 PM
I view this as a positive step forward - we have The Giant himself posting in a Crack Pairing related thread! :smallbiggrin:

Although that business with Haley, Elan and the purple worm.....:smallwink:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-06-01, 06:21 PM
Thank you, Rich.

Though Masamune does raise a good point: What if, say, we, in a story, make an offhand reference to a canonical relationship? (E.g., a scene that starts in the morning and has all the characters waking up makes a reference to Haley and Elan in the same bed, but doesn't go beyond that one sentence.) Would that be okay?

Nimrod's Son
2010-06-01, 06:24 PM
I view this as a positive step forward - we have The Giant himself posting in a Crack Pairing related thread! :smallbiggrin:
Either you missed the bit where he said "I don't like the idea of people using my characters elsewhere", or you're very easily pleased...

The Giant
2010-06-01, 06:26 PM
Although that business with Haley, Elan and the purple worm.....:smallwink:

To paraphrase what I said when people complained about the F-bomb at the end of Erfworld: If I choose to smudge the line, it's my responsibility. If forum posters smudge the line, it's still my responsibility, because my name is on the website. Therefore, I have more leeway than the 43,000 members of this forum to add content that may be deemed offensive.

The Giant
2010-06-01, 06:32 PM
Though Masamune does raise a good point: What if, say, we, in a story, make an offhand reference to a canonical relationship? (E.g., a scene that starts in the morning and has all the characters waking up makes a reference to Haley and Elan in the same bed, but doesn't go beyond that one sentence.) Would that be okay?

Use the same guidelines that have always existed: No explicit sexuality, no criminal activity. The scene you mention would probably be fine, as would a kiss followed by a "fade to black," but keep in mind that both scenes could still be written in such a way that they were too explicit.

One of the key factors that went into our locking of the thread was the greater demand on moderator time. If your stories hew close enough to the line that Roland will need to be reading it every day just to keep stuff out, the thread will be locked again even in the absence of a "smoking gun" story that crossed the line. So, just to be clear: The stories should be non-sexual, period.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-06-01, 06:40 PM
Use the same guidelines that have always existed: No explicit sexuality, no criminal activity. The scene you mention would probably be fine, as would a kiss followed by a "fade to black," but keep in mind that both scenes could still be written in such a way that they were too explicit.

One of the key factors that went into our locking of the thread was the greater demand on moderator time. If your stories hew close enough to the line that Roland will need to be reading it every day just to keep stuff out, the thread will be locked again even in the absence of a "smoking gun" story that crossed the line. So, just to be clear: The stories should be non-sexual, period.

Thank you, Rich. (And I think it's telling that I accidentally typed in "Right" for a moment. :smalltongue:) I don't really like going beyond a "fade to black" anyways. (And yes, this is coming from a notorious participant of the Crack Pairings thread.)

Kranden
2010-06-01, 10:31 PM
This was really only a matter of time.

Also I laughed when rich called that guy out on his bull****.

Cealocanth
2010-06-01, 10:53 PM
Goodbye Crack Pairings. YOu scared me half to death during your long life. May there be many more characters for you to pair innapropriately in the upper planes. Let the characters now be paired with whoo they want in peace without intrusion far into the future. Good Riddance.

Water-Smurf
2010-06-01, 11:18 PM
*nervous laughter* Yeah... the thread was indeed locked for a reason. Some people wrote things that got overly risqué (*whistles innocently*), and if Rich and/or the mods don't want that kind of thing in their playground, then the only right thing is to respect that. If you want to see the stories, just visit them offsite. As for other fanfiction in the playground, I'm going to avoid touching that, but it's great that that option's still available for budding authors.

Lycan 01
2010-06-01, 11:31 PM
I miss the Crack Pairing Thread. :smallfrown:

But we had our chance(s), and we blew it. There's not much we can do about that... :smallsigh:

Hm. The Giant posted in a Crack Pairing-related thread. That's something I thought I'd never see. Interesting...

The Giant does bring up an interesting prospect, though. From what he said, or at least what I think he said, we could still write fan fiction on this site, as long as it wasn't explicit or questionable. Theoretically, we could try a toned down Crack Pairing thread, something of a "Pairing" thread for comedic or cute OotS stories. I know for a fact that there were TONS of G and PG rated Crack Fics, which would easily fit into a thread like that.

But such a prospect seems like it could go awry. Even if we promised to keep it clean and everything, the Mods would still probably have to spend time keeping an eye on a Pairing thread. And more than likely, people would start pushing the limits over time and eventually try to turn it into a Crack Pairing Thread Mark II, which would just bring the hammer down again. And we'd be back in square one...

Tis an interesting concept, though. :smallconfused:

Shale
2010-06-01, 11:32 PM
There is such a thing as non-romantic fanfic.

Lycan 01
2010-06-01, 11:39 PM
Notice I said comedic or cute OotS stories, not comedic or cute romance fics. It wouldn't have to be pairings, no. But I think that's what most people would enjoy writing. I just think most of the fun came from actually figuring out a way to make X and Y character work together, personally... :smalltongue:

Mystic Muse
2010-06-01, 11:41 PM
The Giant does bring up an interesting prospect, though. From what he said, or at least what I think he said, we could still write fan fiction on this site, as long as it wasn't explicit or questionable. Theoretically, we could try a toned down Crack Pairing thread, something of a "Pairing" thread for comedic or cute OotS stories. I know for a fact that there were TONS of G and PG rated Crack Fics, which would easily fit into a thread like that.

But such a prospect seems like it could go awry. Even if we promised to keep it clean and everything, the Mods would still probably have to spend time keeping an eye on a Pairing thread. And more than likely, people would start pushing the limits over time and eventually try to turn it into a Crack Pairing Thread Mark II, which would just bring the hammer down again. And we'd be back in square one...

And, the Mods have enough on their hands as is. We don't really need to give them more work.

Since you guys do have the banners and such from the crack pairings threads you could give people who ask for them links to the pairings on fanfiction.net or something. It's not a great solution (and may even break the rules. If so, ignore it.) but it just might work. Although, I don't know what kind of content fanfiction.net has on it so if it does break board rules don't link it through PMs either.

The Succubus
2010-06-02, 01:43 AM
Fair enough - can't argue with that. =)

One final question, if The Giant is still reading - did you read any of the Crack Pairing stories? Were there any you liked?

Lycan 01
2010-06-02, 02:48 AM
I second this inquiry. I'm sure everyone who ever took part in the Crack Pairing thread would like to know the answers to those two questions. It'd be nice to at least have that little bit of closure. :smallsmile:

Cracklord
2010-06-02, 03:25 AM
It's a shame, but I'd kind of lost interest by then, so alls well that ends well.

Still, I suppose we should consider posting our various compilations on Fanfiction.net, to keep them for prosterity.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-06-02, 05:42 AM
Notice I said comedic or cute OotS stories, not comedic or cute romance fics. It wouldn't have to be pairings, no. But I think that's what most people would enjoy writing. I just think most of the fun came from actually figuring out a way to make X and Y character work together, personally... :smalltongue:

That's what I loved about it; it was a fantastic form of literary improv.

Since you guys do have the banners and such from the crack pairings threads you could give people who ask for them links to the pairings on fanfiction.net or something. It's not a great solution (and may even break the rules. If so, ignore it.) but it just might work. Although, I don't know what kind of content fanfiction.net has on it so if it does break board rules don't link it through PMs either.

Eh, we kinda curse a lot. :smalltongue:

Still, I suppose we should consider posting our various compilations on Fanfiction.net, to keep them for prosterity.

We actually did archive everything onto a wiki.

Cracklord
2010-06-02, 06:13 AM
Oh really? Great. Can I get a link?

xelliea
2010-06-03, 03:33 PM
So could a fanfic be done with OOTS crossed with our own characters and if so where would one find a thread for this.