PDA

View Full Version : State of Catlike Readiness

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-01, 02:38 PM
Someone was mentioning something the other day about myself that I'd never thought anything about, but now has piqued my curiosity.

This isn't one of those agonizing 'get attention by saying I have a problem but really it's wanting folks to tell me it's cool' type threads, btw. Am actually curious if its a psychologically off thing.

Basically, I've been told it's like I'm always waiting to be attacked or set upon. I'm not paranoid or nervous, and a strong, tall, self-sufficient and confident guy, but if someone taps me and I'm not suspecting it I instantly jerk into 'fight or flight'. Same with loud or unexpected noises. Have had jokes all my life along the lines of I 'have a guilty conscience' or 'am up to something' or 'afraid of my own shadow' (which I have jumped at before).

I can have a spider web catch the sun across a room and I instantly notice it and while doing any activity I'm continuously on the look out for twitches, movements, or things misplaced from what they were.

I've been asked by ex-military what branch I used to be in (the answer being none) because of my 'soldier's wariness' even while totally relaxed but didn't really get what they were meaning.

On the other hand, when I was two years old I collapsed in a nervous breakdown when a guy at the store accidentally turned on a speaker at full volume and ever since I twitch around loud noises. Also been raised most of my life in the boonies and spend much of my time in the woods where constantly looking out for snakes and yellow jacket nests, as well as being the eldest of 10 kids and keeping an eye on them, so any or all of the above could attribute (I'm hoping). Only thing is... none of the rest of my family is like that. In fact, many are the opposite, and I've complained most of my life how little they pay attention to anything.

Pyrian
2010-06-01, 02:52 PM
...being the eldest of 10 kids...I had a friend who had four younger siblings who really were constantly out to get him. He was amazing. You couldn't surprise him, at all, ever. He had the "combat reflexes" feat, full stop, no matter the circumstances. I never saw anything take him off-guard, not once. ...I don't think that's the same thing, since he was very collected about it; he didn't startle at all, he simply always expected trouble (and was usually right).

Anyway.

I've known people who are like what you've described yourself as being. They, too, were eldest children. It doesn't sound very pleasant, honestly. Might be trainable, though? Program your computer to pop something up and scream at you at entirely random intervals, and practice taking them in stride?

Spiryt
2010-06-01, 02:53 PM
You've been ultimate soldier before reprogramming. Now some memories are getting trough.

It's simple.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-01, 02:58 PM
I had a friend who had four younger siblings who really were constantly out to get him. He was amazing. You couldn't surprise him, at all, ever. He had the "combat reflexes" feat, full stop, no matter the circumstances. I never saw anything take him off-guard, not once. ...I don't think that's the same thing, since he was very collected about it; he didn't startle at all, he simply always expected trouble (and was usually right).

lol, well, when in the same house as my siblings I'm calm and collected because I expect it as well. Funny thing is, I also like to do it back at them so they get kind of hyped up thinking I'm behind every door too :smallwink:

Winter_Wolf
2010-06-01, 03:00 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have a similar 'condition'. I don't think there's anything wrong with being able to react quickly to stimuli and having perceptive abilities (you know, noticing things).

I think it's one of those situation where most if not all people are born like this, but it's basically trained out of us by "the system". Some people retain it instead of losing or repressing it. It's a good thing.

Icewalker
2010-06-01, 03:01 PM
I'm guessing it's most of the things you mentioned and likely others and the small circumstantial and coincidental developments of a person, come together to add up into an incredibly alert mindset. I think I have the same thing to a much lesser degree.

MCerberus
2010-06-01, 03:01 PM
Being the youngest gives you the opposite effect. I became really calm and adaptive. As part of it I developed the ability to manipulate pretty much any situation I go into.

blackfox
2010-06-01, 03:45 PM
I'm an eldest (of two =P) child, and I'm like this as well. There's other factors that I'm certain contribute, but I guess the eldest child might help as well.

Anuan
2010-06-01, 08:16 PM
I believe you may have some mild form of this. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervigilance)
I have this too. I am the younger of two brothers, but was abused physically. May have been the trigger.

Devils_Advocate
2010-06-01, 10:09 PM
So, you're perpetually "jumpy" and on the alert, ever prepared to respond to potential threats. Is that about the size of it?

That... sound potentially very useful? You only have to be right once for paranoia to pay off, as they say. Just so long as it doesn't cause you to overreact to non-threats. And isn't, like, causing you undue stress.

I mean, you'd probably be able to tell if it was causing you any problems, right?

This isn't one of those agonizing 'get attention by saying I have a problem but really it's wanting folks to tell me it's cool' type threads, btw.
Well, I don't know that I've seen any of what you're referring to, but it sounds like you are perhaps making some unjustified assumptions about other posters' motives.

Am actually curious if its a psychologically off thing.
By "off", do you mean unusual or do you mean detrimental? (Those are, of course, not the same thing.)

Rawhide
2010-06-01, 10:19 PM
Playing computer games (and other games, including paintball, lasertag, certain sports, etc.) will also greatly increase your awareness.

An illustrated example:
http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Features/2010/03/Top%207%20superior%20human/attention%20to%20detail%20copy--article_image.jpg