PDA

View Full Version : Sending 250 MB of Files over the Internet

Trobby
2010-06-02, 02:08 PM
So I was directed to my cousin's facebook account today, and he's having a bit of a file transfer problem. It seems he has 250 MB worth of files that he needs to send over the internet, and needs a way to send this massive folder file that is relatively tech-inept proof.

Now, I've already told him everything I can about how he can reduce his files by saving in better compression formats, and how to save his files in separate folders and zip them up so that they compress better, and how to zip the entire folder so that it is one, neat file, and I'm waiting back to hear from him if he manages to compress it to a more reasonable size.

So I'm trying to find a file host that can hold that big a file. I'm trying filefactory.com right now, but I'm not sure if it'll work, and it seems to take quite awhile to load the file.

What I need to know is if there is any other thing we could do to reduce file size, and if this or any other host is particularly good for large files.

Update: He's told me that he has, in fact, compressed his folder down and gotten it to be...247 MB. So not much help there.

Mystic Muse
2010-06-02, 02:12 PM
I think rapidshare allows up to 2GB. You probably don't want to download anything else on there though and other people could download the file as well.

Another_Poet
2010-06-02, 02:14 PM
I think rapidshare.com would do it. The site's a little annoying to use (ads, wait time) but he should be able to upload his zipped file and then download it from wherever.

sigh, ninja'd

Telonius
2010-06-02, 02:15 PM
Something that big, and you're probably better off sending it by FTP.

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-06-02, 02:16 PM
Something that big, and you're probably better off sending it by FTP.
That would be a good option, except for the "relatively tech-inept" bit. FTP would take a little bit of instruction and getting-used-to.

Alternatively, he could mail a CD with the files to whomever needs it.

SpiderMew
2010-06-02, 02:17 PM
rapidshare
sendspace
megaupload

or you could go with dropbox

Erloas
2010-06-02, 02:18 PM
Who does he need to get this file to? Most messenger programs allow direct transfers of files between people, and I don't think they have any size limits. I remember years ago transferring very large files via MSN messenger to roommates when we couldn't get file sharing to work correctly on the LAN, and it still transfered at LAN speeds.

There are also ways of setting up FTP programs to do it facilitate the transfer too.

IonDragon
2010-06-02, 02:21 PM
Honestly, at file sizes that large, he may be better off burning a CD and mailing it, just for simplicity. Depends on his, and the receiver's internet connection though.

Manga Shoggoth
2010-06-02, 02:25 PM
Honestly, at file sizes that large, he may be better off burning a CD and mailing it, just for simplicity. Depends on his, and the receiver's internet connection though.

Or, indeed, using a small memory stick.

Depending on what the files are it may be worth encrypting them as well (I recomend Truecrypt), If the files contain any personal data encrypting them is a very, very good idea.

Trobby
2010-06-02, 02:48 PM
I'll suggest to him getting a memory stick or CD to send to the guy by snail mail, but I'm not sure if that'll be a valid option.

Of course, file content security will be an issue with any service I suggest to him, so I'll have to ask him about that too.

Messenger transfer...might work, if both sides can keep their connection open for the required time.

Eldpollard
2010-06-02, 03:48 PM
If it's the upload sites only letting you upload files of up to a certain size you could use hj split http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/ . That'll break the files up to several manageable chunks. Although the person at the other end will need to use it again to join them back together.

Flickerdart
2010-06-02, 03:50 PM
If it's the upload sites only letting you upload files of up to a certain size you could use hj split http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/ . That'll break the files up to several manageable chunks. Although the person at the other end will need to use it again to join them back together.
WinRAR can also break up files into bits when you're making them, and automatically builds them back together when you extract.

Renegade Paladin
2010-06-02, 03:58 PM
http://filesmelt.com/simple

Had that recommended to me as superior to both Megaupload and Rapidshare. Haven't had occasion to use it yet, though. Don't know what the maximum size is.