PDA

View Full Version : Item or Spell to Change Face?

sigurd
2010-06-02, 04:27 PM
I'm trying to price and assess the power level of a spell or magic item.

The situation is this:

I have a gnome who likes a nice quiet life. His family also has a weakness for adventuring. I'd like to make an item, as a player, that would transform his visage into an 'adventurers face' and store his old looks.

He wouldn't get any particular magic protection from the portrait. Both images will still age, although his assumed visage might look older. No immortality or portrait of Dorian Grey - he just wants to park his family looks and look like someone else when he's adventuring. This would be a physical change leaving no magical signs. Perhaps he'd be an inch or two taller (within his base range) and his eyes and hair would change and he'd basically look like another member of his race.

The idea is that at retirement he'd reclaim his face and change his name back. Perhaps by then someone else would like to be his alter ego....

I can see how this would be a handy item and I can't decide if its a major or minor magic. It doesn't affect a single game stat but it would be real handy for someone not wanting to be found.

What do people think?

Siosilvar
2010-06-02, 04:42 PM
Instantaneous-duration disguise self (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/disguiseSelf.htm)?

CL 1 * spell level 1 * 2000 gp * 2 (to make it instantaneous instead of permanent, rough guess) * 2 (slotless) *1.5 (10min/lvl duration) = 12000gp?

EDIT: Forgot duration multiplier.

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-06-02, 05:05 PM
I'm no expert on 3.5, but it sounds like a perfectly acceptable thing to just pass off as a low-level spell. Mainly fluff, nothing more. This actually falls under the scope of an at-will power that changelings in 4th Edition get (well, theirs is far, far more useful and flexible). I personally would handwave it, although then again I don't know if 3.5 is less forgiving of handwaving things.

sigurd
2010-06-02, 05:36 PM
This wouldn't be a glamor or illusion. It would be a physical face\body shift. I imagine a portrait of a wizard and some sort of transformation. At the end the portrait holds his old looks and he resembles the portrait.

This could be anything and he doesn't have to look better, just different.

Sort of a Dread Captain Roberts portrait.....

But it would have to bear most magical scrutiny.

Sigurd

DracoDei
2010-06-02, 05:42 PM
My best guesses:
Make it so changing faces occurs slowly over 24 hours and I would call it equivalent to a 1st level spell... making it so True Seeing doesn't see through it would make it... equal level to True Seeing sorry to say. If it involves secretly rolled SR that if not overcome gives the false information still, that might reduce it a level or two lower than True Seeing.

sigurd
2010-06-02, 06:14 PM
My best guesses:
Make it so changing faces occurs slowly over 24 hours and I would call it equivalent to a 1st level spell... making it so True Seeing doesn't see through it would make it... equal level to True Seeing sorry to say. If it involves secretly rolled SR that if not overcome gives the false information still, that might reduce it a level or two lower than True Seeing.

I like that logic a lot. I even like the idea of the long transformation. Perhaps 24 hours of fitful trance amid some of the memories from previous wearers of the false visage. Maybe something like a transfer of physical habits and handwriting etc... If the 24 hour process is disturbed the spell is ruined.

What do you think of:

Adventuring Face
Wiz 6th level, Bard 5
Target – Touch
Casting Time: 6 or 24 hrs.
Saving Throw: Must be Willing
Components: 1000gp of rare incense and oils
This spell polymorphs a willing target into a dissimilar body of the same race and gender. The change is permanent and does not affect class abilities, skills, or memories.
If a Recorded Visage is available it can function as the source for the polymorph. A recorded visage allows great accuracy in the new form but increases the casting time to 24hrs.
If the caster has 5 ranks of craft portrait, or similar skill, they may shape the transformation to be similar to a detailed and clear portrait. To do so the caster must succeed at a DC20 craft painting or disguise check.
Following the process and for one week thereafter the target's hit points and maximum hit point are reduced to half.

Record Visage
Wiz 3, Bard 3
Target: Touch
Casting Time: 2 hrs
Saving Throw: Must be Willing
Components: 500gp of find pigments are consumed in this spell.
Focus: One Canvas
By means of this spell a caster makes a permanent record of a target's features, and attributes. The target's likeness is eerily transferred to a blank canvas. The image appears to age and suffer as the target does. If the spellcaster has 5 ranks in Craft Painting the visage may be hidden in an existing painting or portrait. The Visage adds itself tastefully to the scene, replacing the face and form of an existing figure. The portrait must be representational and detailed or the spell fails. The target will always be clearly looking out of the scene with visible unobscured features..
A target may have no more recorded visages than their constitution bonus +1.
The canvas radiates strong Conjuration magic.
Possession of a recorded visage reduces the will save of the target by -5 if they are the subject of Scrying.

DracoDei
2010-06-02, 08:09 PM
Getting their habits and handwriting would be a BONUS to most adventures in many cases... also I was thinking an Alter Self or Polymorph based Wondrous Item, rather than new spells.

Also, since those don't give SR against True Seeing and similar spells and effects, according to my advice those would both be 1st level spells... although the second one might be argued to be the same level as Status (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/status.htm) (so second level... maybe +1 if the GM is worried about arcane stepping on divine's toes, but...), since it provides slightly different information (do a full-body nude with the back to a mirror arranged so you can see the back of the person, and you can see the type and location of injuries, rather than just their severity). It doesn't provided location, or allow knowledge of non-visible ailments, but it works across planes.

Hawriel
2010-06-02, 08:39 PM
You basicly want a hat of disguise. They run 1800 gold. If you dont want a hat, make it a ring or amulet. They are harder to forcably remove.

DracoDei
2010-06-02, 08:50 PM
Hawriel: That (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#hatofDisguise) doesn't cover touch or smell, because Disguise Self (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/disguiseSelf.htm) doesn't cover anything but visual (using a strict reading... a more liberal reading means it provides smell), so no, that is not up to the job, although it does make a fine starting point.

sigurd
2010-06-02, 09:21 PM
It has to be a polymorph or some sort of physical transformation. The idea is that its a long term thing that's way complete. I don't want it to be too easy or too abusable.

sigurd

I appreciate all the comments though. Keep em coming.

Does anyone know a permanent transformation item that already exists? I'm thinking there must be something out there already that would work.

Knaight
2010-06-02, 09:41 PM
Hmm. Depending on your GM, you might be able to get this done with Alchemists Fire. Though it won't be a very pretty Adventuring Face. Or Acid. Getting it back to normal is the tricky part here, though a healing spell might be enough. Otherwise, just use a mundane mask.

BLiZme.2
2010-06-03, 10:56 AM
Polymorph any object will do the trick but try this

Morph Body
Transmutation
Level: Brd 2, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S ,M
Casting Time: 1 hour
Range: Personal (see below)
Target: You (see below)
Duration: instantaneous

You make yourself look different. You physical transmute yourself to take on the appearance of another member of your race you can not major change the structure of your body (regrow limbs, remove body parts, add body parts, change your gender, crate or remove major birth defects, ect){any changes have no impact on your ability scores you could make your self musical bound but retain your existing strength or you could make yourself beautiful but you retain your own charisma}. Otherwise, the extent of the apparent change is up to you. You could add or obscure a minor feature or look like an entirely different person.

The spell does not provide the abilities or mannerisms of the chosen form, it also alters the perceived tactile (touch) or audible (sound) properties of you or your body to match the new structure.

If you use this spell to create a disguise of another creature, you get a +10 bonus on the Disguise check.

this spell may be cast on you by anyone to reveres the effects of this spell even if they do not know what your true form looks like or even if you have cast this spell (if used on someone not under the effects of this spell this application does nothing and is wasted)

Material components an empty cocoon a few flakes of skin of strands of hair from another member of your race or a mirror for the reverse version

DracoDei
2010-06-03, 01:32 PM
I like it... mostly. Your wording is a bit off, but not in any way that matters. I would add that it changes your scent (so that gnolls can't recognize you between the two), increase the duration, and make it Brd 2 (or even 1... it is a Bard sort of thing to do), Wiz/Sor 2. See below for reasoning.

Alter Self is Wiz/Sor 2, and allows a much larger range of transformations, while Morph Body is instantaneous (which is better than permanent). Morph body has a much longer casting time (although not as long as the OP seemed to me to be asking for... I would recommend 24 hours, just to play it safe). You could also throw on an expensive material component or focus. A good focus would be the portrait that the OP seemed to be asking for, and making it require at least a DC 20 craft check, and special pigments costing 500 GP... or 1,000 GP... or whatever)...

I see keeping the spell level down to be a good thing, since you want to cast it BEFORE you hit the big-time, and/or have it cast by a wizard who doesn't draw a lot of attention to himself.

sigurd
2010-06-03, 02:08 PM
If you are talking about Morph Body, Its a permanent affect. Instantaneous.
I like the level. Its quite a change to get for a 1st or second level spell. I'm also content to make it more expensive.

I don't want to turn everyone into a shape shifter.

Alderac Entertainment has a book called 'Magic'. They have a magic surgeon called a Flesh Mage. It has a 4th level spell that is relatively close and it can grant a +2 to charisma. I think this is open content, copyright 2001 Alderac Entertainment Group Inc.

Alter Features
Transmutation
Level: Flesh Mage 4
Components: V,S
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: Touch
Target: One creature touched
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: Fortitude Negates
Spell Resistance: No

The spellcaster can permanently alter the facial features of the target creature. He can make the target beautiful or ugly, increasing or decreasing Charisma by 2, up to the creatures racial maximum or minimum. He can change eye colour, hair colour, and facial structure. The target can be made to look like someone else, but the flesh mage must make a successful Disguise check (DC 20). Failure means the target still has his charisma altered, and he resembles the intended person but will not fool anyone who knows the intended person. On a success, the target gains a +10 bonus to Disguise checks to pass himself off as the intended target. Otherwise, the target gains a +15 bonus on all Disguise checks.

OGC Copyright 2001 Alderac Entertainment Group, inc.

From the class I'm not sure whether it is an entirely magic transformation or whether surgery is involved. The spell makes no mention of recovery time though.

The Flesh Mage is a base class and, by the source, this is purely a flesh mage spell. They need to get to level 8 to use it.

Sigurd

BLiZme.2
2010-06-05, 04:58 AM
Yah I guess you are right about the cost I’m not to ken on xp though
I don’t like any casting time over 8 hours (I think they are unreasonable usually).

also mine only works if you cast it on yourself as the range is personal unless you canceling the spell.
so you know as an instantaneous transmutation it takes a DC 20+ spell level to see that the changes caused by this spell are the result of magic and true seeing will not pierce it :smallbiggrin:.

I hope my prorate description is clear.

redux

Morph Body
Transmutation
Level: Brd 2, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S ,M
Casting Time: 8 hours
Range: Personal (see below)
Target: You (see below)
Duration: instantaneous

You make yourself look different. You physical transmute yourself to take on the appearance of another member of your race you can not major change the structure of your body (regrow limbs, remove body parts, add body parts, change your gender, crate or remove major birth defects, ect){any changes have no impact on your ability scores you could make your self musical bound but retain your existing strength or you could make yourself beautiful but you retain your own charisma}. Otherwise, the extent of the apparent change is up to you. You could add or obscure a minor feature or look like an entirely different person.

The spell does not provide the abilities or mannerisms of the chosen form, it also alters the perceived tactile (touch), audible (sound), or olfactory(smell) properties of you or your body to match the new structure.

If you use this spell to create a disguise of another creature, you get a +10 bonus on the Disguise check.

this spell may be cast on you by anyone to reveres the effects of this spell even if they do not know what your true form looks like or even if you have cast this spell (if used on someone not under the effects of this spell this application does nothing and is wasted)

Material components an empty cocoon a few flakes of skin of strands of hair from another member of the targets race
focus a special double sided framed portrait panted with special oils and pigments costing 1000 gp and requiring a dc 20 craft painter/limner check one side of the portrait is an image of yourself the other is an image of what you wish to look like before casting the side with your normal face is the exposed image after the spell is cast it is the hidden image (if the spell is ever broken the portraits reveres again).
or a silver mirror costing 500gp reverse version.