PDA

View Full Version : Alleged Car

Frozen_Feet
2010-06-03, 08:29 PM
So, my Lada Samara broke.

Again.

Considering only two weeks ago I sank 350 € in it to get the start motor switched, I'm rather miffed. That it took two hours to drag the piece of **** back home with dad's Fiat Punto and I missed a good night out because of it do not help.

As I'm unemployed right now, I don't have all that much money. I'm afraid fixing the damn thing will eat up a significant chunk of my savings. Unfortunately, I can't afford to not fix it, because not having a car would mean my job search would be limited to where I can bike, and most companies nearby have already said 'no'. :smallfrown:

I swear, if the car was human, I'd be strangling it right now.

Any other unfortunate car owners in the playgrounds?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-06-03, 08:34 PM
First thought on seeing title:

Police: So, you say a car broke into your house...
Complaintant: Yes! It was a car! I swear!

Helanna
2010-06-03, 08:40 PM
You are preaching to the choir here.

It all started a couple years ago when my mom crashed our car. Thankfully, nobody was hurt, but the car was totaled. So we got to spend a fun month of asking for rides absolutely everywhere. So then we got an old junker until we could get a better car.

So that old junker never worked, and the transmission went out permanently several months after we got it, and we were stranded without a car again. We recently got another junker that works a little bit better, but is still pretty unreliable.

It should be noted that the first car was crashed just after I got my license, and I was so looking forward to being able to drive myself places. But with only one old, junky car in the family, I still never got to drive it. :smallfrown: I am so, so sick of asking my best friend for rides CONSTANTLY. Seriously, with my mom's work schedule I can never get a ride of my own, and it sucks.

On the plus side, my mom thinks she might be able to help me get a car this month as a graduation gift! So . . . that'll be freakin' awesome.

AslanCross
2010-06-03, 08:54 PM
My very first car was a Fiat Uno. A lemon Fiat Uno. It was already 13 years old by the time it was passed on to me. Throughout those 13 years, my grandfather had spent at least the car's purchase price for various repairs of different types. The only thing he had never spent on was repairs after minor accidents.

Ironically, he preferred European cars to Japanese cars, but his '92 Toyota Corolla never ever let him down while this Fiat did.

The Fiat did very bad things to me, breaking down on the way to school. Sometimes the engine would just die. One time the brakes exploded while I was driving at high speed. Yet another time, the radiator FELL THROUGH TO THE GROUND WHILE I WAS ON THE HIGHWAY. I'm thankful the car never caused me or anyone driving it injury, because it was quite deadly.

My grandmother sold the Fiat, and after my grandfather's death, she sold the Corolla. After this, however, the Fiat curse didn't leave me.

My father had his own Fiat Uno, which he passed to me after he migrated to Singapore. This one was even older, but was still in passable condition.

Then I made the big mistake of not bringing it into the garage when a massive typhoon hit the city.

The car was swamped in the flood. The seats stank, and the engine was mucked up with mud. That was the end of that. I let it rot on the street for about six months before a guy passing by thought of buying it. He took it off my hands for about the equivalent of $100.

Soon after my grandmother sold my grandfather's Corolla, she bought a Toyota Vios for her own use. This has since been passed to me.

Thankfully, the Vios is quite robust and hauls gear really well. On the other hand, it's met more accidents than I think all of our other cars combined. Despite this, it still performs excellently.

Sneak
2010-06-03, 08:55 PM
I'm sorry. That majorly sucks. I hope you catch a break.

But man, am I the only one who thinks "Alleged Car" would make a great and hilarious band name?

arguskos
2010-06-03, 09:21 PM
My first car was a 1995 Plymouth Neon, and I loved that god damn car. Like sweet holy hell, I LOVED THAT CAR. I took it to college when I left, and there it met its fate. It died when, while driving back from a nice dinner out with my girlfriend at the time, the engine block cracked while I was driving. Luckily, due to working on cars with Dad when I was younger, I realized instantly what was happening, and pulled over. For the next year and a half, I was carless (ugh, sucked).

Recently (as in, last Feburary levels of recently), I acquired my Great Grandmothers car, a 1998 Dodge Stratus with 35,000 on it. This thing has been great... except when it randomly needed a new head gasket (I payed $1900 for it, the repairs were $700 :smalleek:). Other than that bit, she runs fine. :smallcool:

Random note: am I the only dude who names his cars? The Neon was Eleanor, though only I called her that (everyone else called her the Sirius Corporation Horizontal Happy People Mover, kudos for the joke). The Stratus is Persephone.

Isak
2010-06-03, 09:36 PM
My "Baby" in a nice, dark green 1993 Honda Accord... Almost 194,000 miles of it, and in the two years I've been driving, I put a good 25,000 of those on...

I love this car. So damn much... Even if it's my biggest money-sink to date. Overall, it's a nice car. Handles well, has decent acceleration; Loves being driven a bit on the faster side :smallredface:... It has had some issues though. A random hole in the radiator that, due to money issues, I couldn't replace right away. 4 months of dealing with hideous over-heating problems, and the car decided to die in the middle of the road. While it started back up, we didn't drive it anymore after that.

Thankfully, I got my refund check VERY soon after that happened. Replaced the Radiator, the car runs again! But... Rough. VERY rough. Like you're driving down a bumpy gravel road ALL the time. But it was really only noticeable at less than 30mph. So we dealt with it.

The car started riding harder and harder, even shut down again and locked up the steering while I was driving on a main road :smalleek:...

A friend of mine who's really good with cars helped me do a tune-up on it... Something I didn't realize hadn't been done in at least 5 years... The car? Runs better than it has in AGES. Not a single bump from the engine; although we couldn't replace one of the spark plugs... Damn thing is stuck in there, and that whole area where the plugs go into is apparently filled with oil...

But you know what? There isn't much I'd trade it for. This Honda has taken such a beating these past few years... Me learning to drive on it, being quite old; having a huge amount of miles on it... But it just won't die! Mind you, I'm quite happy about that :smalltongue:

golentan
2010-06-03, 09:39 PM
You know, I think I understand what's wrong with the car. It's a technical problem: You have a Lada. *Rimshot*

My car's electrical system is in wreckage. Blinker noise goes randomly, unconnected to the blinker. The battery died a few weeks back. And a few other things.

Gets great gas milage though.

Flame of Anor
2010-06-03, 09:58 PM
But man, am I the only one who thinks "Alleged Car" would make a great and hilarious band name?

Haha, nice.

Mando Knight
2010-06-03, 10:00 PM

[/Dave Barry]

:smalltongue:

Sneak
2010-06-03, 10:46 PM
[/Dave Barry]

:smalltongue:

...eh?

Beyond the fact that both Dave Barry and I are hilarious, I don't see the connection. :smallconfused:

Mando Knight
2010-06-03, 10:52 PM
...eh?

Beyond the fact that both Dave Barry and I are hilarious, I don't see the connection. :smallconfused:

Dave Barry's practically the one who invented the "that would make a great band name" joke. Come to think of it, he also complains about his alleged cars...

IonDragon
2010-06-03, 11:10 PM
My very first car was a big black jeep grand cherokee. I hated that car. It guzzled gas, shook when going any faster than 25 MPH, smelled like mold, and it felt like it was going to flip when I changed lanes on the interstate. BUT I loved it at the same time. It was my first car!

One day, I was meeting family visiting from out of state for a couple days for dinner, and as I exited the parking lot she jolted, shook and would go no faster than about 30. I turned her around, and babied her into a parking spot. Since then (2 years ago!) she's been sitting in the parking lot begging for attention. I got a new car which also has problems, but now I've let the registration lapse on my old jeep and it's going to cost more than the value of the car to reinstate the registration in order to transfer ownership to a scrap yard.

My 'new' car is a 2001 Volvo C70 convertible, and it's the sexiest screaming metal death trap I ever did see. http://images2.auction123.com/1a4a1de9-8196-4f0b-a305-708b8a47eff4/YV1MC67278J047884/01.jpg
That's the 2008 model. Mine has the 'volvo grille', no blinkers on the mirrors, and I think the front end is generally a little more square.
I got it for FREE. Okay, so it's technically my GF's but she can't drive and her mom got it for her for graduation any way so it's basically mine. Not without it's problems though. Just spent $600 USD on maint on the engine. The 'check engine light' has been on for about 3 months (something to do with the transmission), and there's a recall out on some part of the Electronic Throttle System I haven't had the time to deal with. I just wish I had a better job so I could afford to take care of it... :smallfrown:

Strawberries
2010-06-04, 02:17 AM
My very first car was a Fiat Panda. A fiat Panda registered in 1986. Now it should be noted that I was born in 1984, so the car was only two years younger than me. And I was 24 at the time. :smallsigh:

Nevertheless, I loved that car.

Now I have a Peugeot 107. A very nice, very blue peugeot 107 (like the one of the right of the picture.

http://www.autoroyalty.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/peugeot-107.jpg

People still (affectionately) make fun of me though, calling my car "little mouse". It doesn't help that people I work with have very big cars (Mercedes and Audi and bmw... oh my.:smalltongue:)

GrlumpTheElder
2010-06-04, 04:58 AM
I got it for FREE. Okay, so it's technically my GF's but she can't drive and her mom got it for her for graduation any way so it's basically mine. Not without it's problems though. Just spent $600 USD on maint on the engine. The 'check engine light' has been on for about 3 months (something to do with the transmission), and there's a recall out on some part of the Electronic Throttle System I haven't had the time to deal with. I just wish I had a better job so I could afford to take care of it... :smallfrown:

Ok, call me stupid, but why would her parents get her a car if she can't drive???

I've only had one car, a Nissan Micra, and so far the only problem was the the boot got jammed. Nothing serious though... *fingers crossed*

Strawberries
2010-06-04, 05:22 AM
I've only had one car, a Nissan Micra], and so far the only problem was the the boot got jammed. Nothing serious though... *fingers crossed*

Oooh, I love Nissan Micras.... it was the car we hired for our trip in Ireland. I've got a lot of good memories of that car. :smallbiggrin:

Totally Guy
2010-06-04, 08:50 AM
My first car was a Nissan Micra. Didn't have any real problems with it.

I now drive a Hyundai Coupe, which I really like.

But my Dad... he's always bought cars that have endless faults with them and break down all the time... Including a Lada Samara many years ago.

KuReshtin
2010-06-04, 09:47 AM
I think it was Steve Davies (the snooker player) that once said that he'd won a Lada car as a price for winning a snooker tournament, and one day when he was driving down the motorway one of the windshield wipers fell off.
He stepped on the brakes and when he came to a stop only about a mile later, he figured he wouldn't bother going back for it, so he went to a garage to get a new one.
He asked the guy at the garage "Have you got a windshield wiper for a Lada car?"
The reply he got was: "Yeah, that should be about a fair trade."

I just had my car in for a service and MOT (road test) and had to pay £336 for a change of exhaust pipe, fuel filter, tracking rod, timing belt and the rear window wiper.
They also advised me to replace the rear brake discs and pads sometime soon-ish as well.

banjo1985
2010-06-04, 10:03 AM
My first car was a 1994 Puegot 106, nearly ten years old when I got it. Obviously I loved it, as everyone tends to with their first car. Looking back it was a bloody awful heap. I had to replace the whole exhaust system a month after I bought it, I had tyres blow, brake drums stick and batteries run out for no reason. I eventually sent it to be scrapped with the exhaust failing again and a nasty leak in the carberetta.

I then got a 2001 Citroen Saxo. It was newer, but as it's essentially the exact same car it was just as bad. At least I got a grand for it when I part exchanged it last year. :smallbiggrin: Got a 2009 Suzuki Swift now in turquoise, the first car I've bought new. Seriously...the difference I feel now I drive something new is amazing. I just wish I could fit anything bigger than a shoebox in the boot. :smalleek:

All my cars have had names too, I think it's the law or something. The 106 was "Puggy", the Citroen was "The Heap" and the Swift is "Suki". None of them are imaginative, but at least they're apt. :smalltongue:

Force
2010-06-04, 10:21 AM
This thread reminds me of my dad's '91 Buick, which I drive whenever I'm not riding my motorcycle. He took it out one night for a quarter of a mile to fill up the tank, backed into our driveway, and hit the brakes-- only to hear a chunk sound, have the pedal go all the way to the floor, and the car most definitely not stop. When he got out there was brake fluid all over the driveway :smalleek:

Ever since then, it's worked fine, so I figure it's not out to murder me for a while yet.

KuReshtin
2010-06-04, 10:42 AM
Got a 2009 Suzuki Swift now in turquoise, the first car I've bought new. Seriously...the difference I feel now I drive something new is amazing. I just wish I could fit anything bigger than a shoebox in the boot. :smalleek:

The lack of a boot space is why I got my new car two years ago. The previous cars had been Suzuki Swifts (the old model), and while they were very fuel efficient, there wasn't a whole load of space in them. So when the one I had was up for an MOT and I knew it'd fail badly, I got a Vauxhall Meriva instead.
Such. A. Difference. To. Drive! in the meriva, you're sitting high up and has good visibility, there's a decent amount of boot space, and if you fold the back seats, you can pack in a ton of stuff.
The comments I got just after i bought it asking me if I'd recently got married and spontaneously got 2 kids and a dog didn't faze me, cause I knew it was a good car.

All my cars have had names too, I think it's the law or something. The 106 was "Puggy", the Citroen was "The Heap" and the Swift is "Suki". None of them are imaginative, but at least they're apt. :smalltongue:

I call my Meriva 'Keyser', cause the first bit of the registration plate says SO53. :smallcool:

Groundhog
2010-06-04, 10:56 AM
I drive a 2007 Hyundai Accent named Clifford. It gets good gas mileage, and is small enough to squeeze into parking spots that most people wouldn't even try to get into. The only downside is that it doesn't have cruise control.

Umael
2010-06-04, 10:56 AM
Toyota Camry '89, got it '96 or so. Clutch finally gave out about '03, '04? Got a Toyota Echo '01. Echo met a Jetta in '08. Jetta won. Got a Hyundai Accent '05. Still driving it. Nicknamed the Accent "Growler".

Flickerdart
2010-06-04, 10:58 AM
Yeah, my grandfather went through a series of Ladas over the years before settling on some import or another, and caught himself realizing that he didn't know his way around the car's engine because he's never had to fix it. If you have a Lada, better work on your mechanic skills. :smallwink:

Ilena
2010-06-04, 11:05 AM
Heheh, well ive only ever had 2 cars ... ummm first one was i think a 91 lebaron? fun car to drive, 4 cylender with a supercharger on it, or whatever you call it (i dont know cars) but it was fine for me!, it stalled on occation but started back up ok, just it blew its head twice when dad drove it :D and the door locks didnt really ever work right, the passenger side was messed and it wouldnt ever open because someone tried to break into it, and the driver side was so hard to turn i thought i was going to bend the keys (let alone killing my hand :S) but ya its gone now ...

My new car is a 2001 mustang, love it to death, luckily when we bought it i got an extended warranty on it, paid for itself already, though it is over now so im on my own there, but i got the transmition redone and a few other things, including the driver side window motor, (just about took a guys finger off when somethin slipped, my car was not happy with him it seems) but other then that its nice, not the MOST fuel efficent these days, and i would like to get a newer car that is, but in all honesty its a nice car that works and runs well that i trust to get me where im going. Only had it for a little over 3 years now and its just over 150k, i got it at 80 :D

Also, whats a boot? I assume its europian for trunk? if im not mistaken?

Frozen_Feet
2010-06-04, 11:13 AM
Yeah, my grandfather went through a series of Ladas over the years before settling on some import or another, and caught himself realizing that he didn't know his way around the car's engine because he's never had to fix it. If you have a Lada, better work on your mechanic skills. :smallwink:
Well, one of the good qualities Ladas have is that they can basically be fixed with a sickle and hammer and spare parts are easy to get. :smalltongue: Still, having car breaking down twice within a month sucks.

Atelm
2010-06-04, 11:19 AM
Random note: am I the only dude who names his cars? The Neon was Eleanor, though only I called her that (everyone else called her the Sirius Corporation Horizontal Happy People Mover, kudos for the joke). The Stratus is Persephone.

I call my '02 Volkswagen Golf either "Gloff" or "Focke-Wulf". :smallamused:

Strawberries
2010-06-04, 01:06 PM
Random note: am I the only dude who names his cars?

Oh, not at all. The Fiat Panda was "That unholy heap of tinplate". The Peugeot is "Mousie" (everyone was calling it that anyway). And my boyfrien's Dacia Sandero is "The fridge". Because it's frankly ugly. Like a fridge, but with wheels.

mucat
2010-06-04, 01:17 PM
...eh?

It seemed like you were answering the OP's Dave Barry reference (alleged cars) with a Dave Barry reference of your own (Great Band Names). If it was all coincidence, though, that's even better. :smallsmile:

Frozen_Feet
2010-06-06, 04:21 PM
I might luck out after all - my good friend offered to sell me his old Skoda with paltry 600 €. :smallbiggrin: It's fifteen years old and has 100 000 kilometres behind it, but it's recently maintained, rustless, has a working radio and a CD player and the deal included two sets of tires. Most importantly, it has a history of not blowing up in the middle of a trip. Even if it only holds together for one year, it's easily worth it.

Sneak
2010-06-06, 04:26 PM
It seemed like you were answering the OP's Dave Barry reference (alleged cars) with a Dave Barry reference of your own (Great Band Names). If it was all coincidence, though, that's even better. :smallsmile:

Actually, I didn't know that either of those things were Dave Barry references. :smalltongue:

Frozen_Feet
2010-06-06, 06:27 PM
For the record, neither did I. :smallredface: For me, Alleged Car is a TV trope reference. :smalltongue:

Manga Shoggoth
2010-06-07, 05:31 AM
@GrlumpTheElder, Strawberries and Glug:

Lady and Gentlemen, you have lifted a great weight from my mind...

My wife managed to destroy our old car by driving over a speed bump that had an exciting pothole placed immediately behind it. Destroyed the cam chain and head. £1500+ to fix.

So, we have gone out and brought a Nissan Micra. Having been used to Peugots of various forms, I am pleased to know that at least three people give the Micra a "thumbs up".

Jimp
2010-06-07, 03:49 PM
@GrlumpTheElder, Strawberries and Glug:

Lady and Gentlemen, you have lifted a great weight from my mind...

My wife managed to destroy our old car by driving over a speed bump that had an exciting pothole placed immediately behind it. Destroyed the cam chain and head. £1500+ to fix.

So, we have gone out and brought a Nissan Micra. Having been used to Peugots of various forms, I am pleased to know that at least three people give the Micra a "thumbs up".
How fast did she go over this behemoth speedbump and into this crater of a pothole to damage those parts? No offence intended but if the cam chain broke it was on the verge of breaking anyway.
Half decent maintenance will keep most cars on the roads without problem. Sometimes things go wrong randomly but most of the problems posted here could have been prevented easily with the occasional service. That said, old Italian cars and electrics don't mix :smallwink:
@IonDragon If the transmission problem is part of an official recall then your nearest Volvo dealer should do it for only labour costs which is usually a good saving. That said, if it was a recall problem and it wasn't sorted out before you bought it I'd be asking questions about its upkeep since it's a 2001 car and usually recalls are issued within a few years of a cars initial release so that they are fixed under warranty and nobody dies later on because of it.

skywalker
2010-06-07, 04:34 PM
Have had only 1 car really, a 2001 BMW 5-series that my parents got me for graduating/driving to college where spaces are miniscule (and a Suburban definitely won't fit). But it's been pretty hellish. BMW's current marketing strategy is to design a car to run 100,000 miles, then sell you on the "you get 100,000 miles of warranty" thing, and then do 0 maintenance on the thing during the warranty period. Seriously, oil changes only happen every 15,000 miles, brakes aren't changed in forever, etc, etc. Since I bought the car with 100,000 miles on it (coincidence? I think not at all), I was in for all of the crap that comes from not maintaining a car sensibly for the first 100,000 miles of its lifetime. While there haven't been... Terrible problems, there have been some relatively expensive issues caused by the combination of poor maintenance by the previous owner, my lack of familiarity with the car, and the higher cost of parts and labor for a "premium" brand. I've actually spent more than the car is worth on keeping it running, and it's still not totally fixed up yet.

Ah, well. It's been fun to drive, at least, a lot more fun than the domestics my friends drive. And they've had troubles too.

TheThan
2010-06-07, 04:56 PM
Had to replace the starter on my beloved Saturn as well. It turns out the darn thing is sandwiched between the front axle and the exhaust. What its doing way down there (instead of on the top of the motor is beyond me). The fixit guy said it’s the most difficult starter in the world to replace because of the location. You have to get underneath it, and work blind with your hands in an awkward position, with no leverage to actually get the two bolts off, and there is no room to move which just compounds the problem. I love the car, but my gosh that thing is nearly impossible to replace, we did manage to get it done (only took half the day).

Some of my friends drive classics, and I must say, I’m a bit envious of them. easy to work on, reliable despite their age (gotta take care of them though), and they all look much cooler than most of today’s cars.

Extra_Crispy
2010-06-08, 03:33 AM
I have had a few cars in my time. My father is a automechanic so I buy bad things and fix them. Here is the list in order.

1: 1975 Chevy Vega I bought for $300, No engine or transmission, paint bad, interior dirty but pretty good shape for the age. Body straight and no dents. Got a 4 cylinder engine and a trany for free (long story) my father and I put it in. Cleaned the car up and for highschool graduation my parents painted it foxfire red metallic. I loved that car though it did not have AC (the car was not built with it), no power stearing, not even power breaks. Had it for 3 years and that is the one I wreaked and burned from tail to nose. Completely totaled, and I spent months in the hospital.

2: After my accident my parents bought me a 1980 Chevy Malibu. Huge car. 2 bench seats, V8, trunk you could fit some other cars in. About 14-16 miles to a gallon. But it was the "tank" my parents wanted me in. That car had little to no problems, think we only had to replace the water pump. But as I started by to the University 30+ miles away the gas milage was killing me. Sold it.

3: Got a Hundai Excel. Worst P.O.S. Little things kept going wrong. 2 barrel graduated carb (I will explain that if you dont know what that means, just ask) that used vaccuum to open the other barrel. The vaccuum pod leaked BAD, dealership wanted $300. My father ended up jury rigging a mechanical system. Got a little less gas milage but had a lot more pickup. Leaking oil, burning a little oil. All kinds of stuff

4: Traded the hundai in on a 1986 Chevy S10 pickup 4x4. Had a crappy 2.8L V6 engine that finally got so bad it would not pass emmisions. I bought a 4.3L multiport fuel injection V6. That was a great engine, Loved the truck, even after the fuel injectors went and they cost me $300 to buy. It was almost always tearing up frunt drive shaft CV joint boots. Radiator had to be replaced once also, and the the alternator. Other little parts. Then it was stolen.

5: Bought a 1990 Pontiac Sunbird for $400 with a bad head gasket. Couple of bucks for the head gasket other tune up parts, few hours of time with my dad and I had a good running car. The only car I have ever owned that had working (bairly) AC. Then it decided to spin a bearing, (long story exactly what that is) so basically it was replace the engine or put in very thick oil and limp it along untill I could buy another car. I chose the latter.

6: Bought a 1986 chevy s10 blazer from a neighbor of my parents. Had many problems with it. Bought the body and a donor vechicle with everything we needed to do an engine swap from those neighbors and did the swap. Since then had to replace lots of little parts but now it is burning a little oil on start up, leaking oil from the rear main seal, leaking transmission fluid, running bad sometimes. I think either the injectors are going or the fuel pump is.

7: Was going to start driving a 1983 AMC Eagle. Did drive it for 2 weeks after my father and I replaced the engine. Then the transmission just died on me on my way to work.

Though I count myself lucky because my father and I do pretty much all the work so all I have to pay for is the parts, and my father knows lots of people so he is constantly getting discounts and other "good ol' boy" prices. Like that injector on the S10 pickup, started out at $500, when the guy found out it was for my father, $300.

IonDragon
2010-06-08, 12:17 PM
Ok, call me stupid, but why would her parents get her a car if she can't drive???

Incentive to learn?

@IonDragon If the transmission problem is part of an official recall then your nearest Volvo dealer should do it for only labour costs which is usually a good saving. That said, if it was a recall problem and it wasn't sorted out before you bought it I'd be asking questions about its upkeep since it's a 2001 car and usually recalls are issued within a few years of a cars initial release so that they are fixed under warranty and nobody dies later on because of it.

The recall is a separate issue from the transmission, and it was issued a year ago, I think because it's just a commonly defective part (or piece of software) rather than a part that fails causing death.

Manga Shoggoth
2010-06-09, 04:18 AM
How fast did she go over this behemoth speedbump and into this crater of a pothole to damage those parts? No offence intended but if the cam chain broke it was on the verge of breaking anyway.
Half decent maintenance will keep most cars on the roads without problem. Sometimes things go wrong randomly but most of the problems posted here could have been prevented easily with the occasional service. That said, old Italian cars and electrics don't mix :smallwink:

I have no idea! The first I heard of it was when she rang me up at work to tell me. The car was very old, so we were expecting some form of fatal breakdown at some stage, but we were hoping for a little longer...

(The car was initially owned by my mother, and then transferred to me when Mum was no longer able to drive - it was well looked after, and has lived to a great old age...)

EDIT: Picked up the Nissan yesterday. After one day's driving I think I'm going to like it...

Stubbed Tongue
2010-06-09, 09:45 PM
I have an idea if you would like to read it.

I think you should rent/buy/borrow a sledge hammer and sell tickets to destroy that 'car' and with the money raised use it to help buy a motorcycle or possibly a Volkswagen or more reliable car. $3 for 3 swings, etc.

You will feel great beating the ever-living-crap out of that thing and make money off other people swinging.

What do you think?

KoboldRevenge
2010-06-10, 06:16 PM
I am always crashing cars. but thats only because im too young to get a license

KilltheToy
2010-06-11, 03:58 PM
I have a 2002 Nissan Frontier. Technically, it's my dad's, but on indefinate loan. Yeah, that's it...:smallwink:

I haven't had any mechanical problems yet, unless you count a flat tire a mechanical problem. I've had one minor accident though.

I've named it "LB", short for "Lumbering Behemoth". No, I didn't name it after the rule in 40k, although the comparison between my truck and a Leman Russ would in my mind be appropriate.