PDA

View Full Version : Different system for character creation and leveling up? (3.5)

Harperfan7
2010-06-05, 02:13 AM
Using experience points as level-up currency. (you may have to read the whole post before it makes much sense)

Each ability score increase costs exponentially more exp.
(so 10 to 11 costs 50, 11 to 12 costs 100, 12 to 13 costs 200 or whatever)

The same goes for bab, skill ranks, save increases, hit die increases (d4s cost X, d6 cost 1.5 X, etc.), buying class abilities (which now have prerequisites, such as evasion requiring a min dex score and min base reflex save, or rage requiring you to be chaotic). Spellcasting costs exp per level of casting, so the base number of spells a 2nd level wizard caster has costs X amount of exp (the actual number of spells also depends on intelligence and items, as usual). You choose which kind of spellcasting to get when you buy a new level (whether cleric, sorcerer, wizard and so on). So its cheaper to be a wiz 5/sor 2 than a wiz 7, but your overall caster level would either be only 5 or 2 depending on which spells you were casting.

Spellcasting is very expensive, thus a powerful spellcaster (one whose spellcasting is powerful in relation to total exp points) will have as few hit die, save increases, bab, and so on and as many spells, as many spell levels, and as high spell related ability scores as possible.

Each caster level should have a cost, each spell slot or spell known should have a cost, with higher level slots costing more. There are different caster levels (wiz caster levels, sorc caster levels, bard caster levels and so on). They cost exponentially more for each progressive level, but the price is not affected by how many caster levels from other types of casting you have. So your 10th wizard casting level wouldn’t cost more if you also had a level of sorcerer casting than if you didn’t. Wizard spells are still based on intelligence and gain bonus spells from higher intelligence, and the same goes for each type of casting (cha for sorc, etc.).

Each spell requires you to have one spell of the next lowest level of the same school first (this means prepared at the start of the day or just known in general).

Feats should have set costs (which are expensive compared to everything else), but they should differ in cost (skill focus should cost less than power attack). It may be cheaper at higher exp totals to buy lightning reflexes than it is to increase your base reflex of +11 to +12, but improved evasion may still require a base of +12.

You are given a budget of exp points to spend on character creation, but where you spend them is up to you. Only spells, class abilities, and certain feats have prerequisites.

What the actual costs are is undetermined and the above are example costs. I don’t know how to factor in intelligence and skill point totals (I considered making each skill point cost a fraction less for each int mod increase, but this favors wizard spellcasting over other types). I do know that humans would pay less for each skill point and for each feat (but not how much).

In this system, a creature is worth an X amount of exp regardless of character level (and so on for traps and what not). WBL and CR is determined by total exp.

This way you can create whatever kind of character you want who is not bound by classes or even levels, only by total exp gained, and a “1st level” character might have a 2nd level spell, more than 1 hit die, higher than +2 base saves, more than 4 skill ranks, more than 1 feat, and so on, as long as it is paid for.

Thoughts?

Salbazier
2010-06-05, 02:21 AM
It seems like GUPRS to me (I have only glimpse at GUPRS though).

That can lead to some extreme min-maxing. Like a caster who got 5 levels worth of exp and then spend it all on caster level and spells and maybe some feat cheese. I know little about balance but I'm think that getting acces to higher levels of spells faster may more than worth losing HP, BAB, skills and saves (which can be boosted by spells)

Cadian 9th
2010-06-05, 02:53 AM
I gotta say, I like this. Such customization. Would this system allow us to take, say, Ranger stuff mixed with Monk stuff? That would be cool, and quite balanced too. I kinda had an idea like this one, though it was that you had like 3 feats per level and 6 at first, and each class feature was a feat that required another feat, e.g. Rogue Sneak attack required Deadly Strike, something that allowed you a re-roll on 1s to damage, provided you had flank or were striking a flatffooted oppoenent.

In terms of cost, It would be interesting to see. Perhaps impose a "Tier" buy, so in order to get wizard spellcasting, you payed 100 xp just to get into that tier.

Also that would allow that long wait between levels and make it seem less gamey in terms of a campaign: I'm kinda annoyed with DnD for never changing until I get to the next level, and would like to run a variant that changes that... Now I've got my creation juice flowing!

Dante

AceofDeath
2010-06-05, 04:09 AM
A bit GURPS-like, yes indeed. Not a bad Idea, I personally love the GURPS buy of system, it's quite complicated and if you like to creat a faster character for a short game, you probably shouldn't use that system.

Seems a bit like you should make request for spell casting so that you don't end up with people just buying spell casting and nothing else. min Int and also will save I'll say ;) and maybe other stuff that's really just expensive request you'll never use. Who knows this way you might end up nerfing spell casting enough to make DnD fair for every body....

Cadian 9th
2010-06-05, 10:05 PM
Ditto above. I'd like to see this done, so I can compare it with my own system.

Some Suggestions: Reward taking single paths, and make some nice "Tricks".

Dante

Knaight
2010-06-05, 10:19 PM
It seems like GUPRS to me (I have only glimpse at GUPRS though).

That can lead to some extreme min-maxing. Like a caster who got 5 levels worth of exp and then spend it all on caster level and spells and maybe some feat cheese. I know little about balance but I'm think that getting acces to higher levels of spells faster may more than worth losing HP, BAB, skills and saves (which can be boosted by spells)

A better comparison would be Mutants and Masterminds 2e, which, while somewhat more linear and unfortunate in doing so, is very much like D&D, and decently well balanced, with the exception of certain powers that the designers warn you about anyways.

Waargh!
2010-06-05, 10:48 PM
Too complicated.
If the goal is to further customize your characters, then there are many PrC, many feats, many stuff in general to do so. There is no need to change anything. If you want something new, you can multi-class or create your own class. I find 3.5 offering so many choices to customize the character, making it more complicated is just pointless.

If you want a more detailed customization you could break everything into feats and go away with the classes. You can then choose class abilities as feats.

You could break a class into feat-ladders. The monk for example into a "unarmed defense", "unarmed attack", "perfect body", "martial arts". Each level you get 2-3 feats and you go from there. So you could make a heavily armed warrior that uses his fists to fight, or a duelist with no armor or you can have a special mount without being a paladin or be a rogue with a cat as a pet.. The benefit of this method would be that you could highly customize the feats to your liking without creating every time a new class. If a player comes up with a good idea the rest of the players will be able to use those feats as well. You also separate the characters flavor with the characters fighting style.
But that would require some work as well. It would be great for players/DM that don't want to use or search for all the PrC. There a lot of times when you like the flavor of a class, but not its abilities, you like him up to a certain level etc etc.

Cadian 9th
2010-06-06, 01:12 AM
Perhaps. A Role Playing game system can be as complex as the players want, however.

Ditto on the feat ladders. Again requesting a post up.
Nice Ascendant Feats!

Dante