PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on how to run a D20 Future campaign. (Need good future music too)

Pika...
2010-06-05, 02:38 PM
Long story short, as I finish regroup all my data from my "home" setting/world in my cosmology I have decided to run a new one unlike any game I have run before; a D20 Future game.

Notes on it:
1. In my homebrewed cosmology have "ages" players can play in. I have my "home" age, which is somewhere near the center of the multiverse's lifespan. It is standard D&D style. This new one is based on a "craftworld" ship from the very final age, as the multiverse begins to wind down into the mouth of Cronos (sp?), and the Illithids run a mock before fleeing to the past.
2. I have no experience running a game in such an advance setting. I am currently running a D20 Modernish game, but this is a new ballpark for me.
3. Think a ship 300 miles long, 100 miles wide, and 200 miles tall with it's own bio-spheres inside as a semi-arch.
4. The ship is also meant to be a "super weapon" designed jointly by the Elves and Dwarves of two spelljammer empires in a desperate attempt to either A) beat the Illithids, or B) serve as an arch and run to the far corner(s) of the material plane.
5. The two empires rounded up an enormous army that was put in stasis there over the centuries the ship was being made.
6. The PCs will awake to the ship being completely dormant, everyone else still in stasis, some of the people right outside their stasis plant pods with their brains eaten out/decaying/as skeletons, and able to see outside the enormous dome around the biospheres and insanely large metropolis on the top layer that the ship is very slowly drifting towards a planet.
7. Parts of the ship are in decay/ruin, but most of it s pristine.
8. Just traveling from one point of the ship to another without the transportation systems could take months I guess???

A big problem I am having is nailing down the theme/feel I am trying to go for.

I read D20 Future Tech, and it said that I can make a campaign where the race(s) might achieve a certain tech level in some fields, but lower in others. This helped, because I wanted a setting where it was still somewhat fantasyish, but futurstic at the same time. So I am trying to make it almost 40K style, where there are some advanced ranged weapons, but most items are still melee focused albeit very advanced. Examples I have attempted to homebrew is the Elves, who's technology is all natural and plant based focus heavily on gloves, gantlets, and bracelets (which I have based on weapon/item concepts from D20 Future Tech) that either give ranged combat abilities or defensive abilities such as solar-light based shields, while still allowing them to hold weapons within their hands/palms. The Dwarves having rediscovered the secrets to their ancestor's rune magic basically make the same (or slightly better) armors and weapons from the past, but cover them in powerful runes which make them quite nasty. Also, limited "energizing" stations around the ship at defensive points can boost weapons for a limited time.

Anyway, any ideas or suggestions for making this work? Maybe advice for running D20 Future?

Also, does anyone know some appropriate futurist music for this craftworld?

ps. Any advice on what I can do with the small bit of plot I have done so far would be appreciated.

Many Pikas in advance!

Cybren
2010-06-05, 02:56 PM
A while back I was trolling itunes and came across an album called Phase IV Chronicles. Lots of sci-fi soundy music. A quick google search indicates it's free on this site
http://amiestreet.com/music/schmange/phaseiv-chronicles/

Pika...
2010-06-05, 11:15 PM
A while back I was trolling itunes and came across an album called Phase IV Chronicles. Lots of sci-fi soundy music. A quick google search indicates it's free on this site
http://amiestreet.com/music/schmange/phaseiv-chronicles/

Much appreciated.

I will have a look.

Kiren
2010-06-05, 11:20 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131739

The stuff in this homebrew thread is working sci-fi into DND, not the standard d20 (not sure how different they are between each other).
I'm not sure how much will help you. Sorry.

valadil
2010-06-05, 11:21 PM
I like the Deus Ex soundtrack for future music. Blade Runner (or other Vangelis) would probably work too.

Thieves
2010-06-06, 07:12 AM
COWBOY BEBOP. For all your chase scenes. You'd be surprised how well jazz works with space stuff.
Ok, yeah, maybe not necessarily your cup of tea but it's good all around.