PDA

View Full Version : Derro Questions.

Scarey Nerd
2010-06-05, 03:20 PM
OK guys, couple of questions about Derros.

1. Does their Sneak Attack stack with a rogue's sneak attack? Logically it would, but WOTC are inconsistent and weird, so... :smalltongue:
2. What are your opinions of Derro?
3. What would be a good prestige for a Derro that enjoyed torture?

Flail_master
2010-06-05, 03:42 PM
inflicting torture, a sadist, not a masochist :P

Pluto
2010-06-05, 03:50 PM
OK guys, couple of questions about Derros.

1. Does their Sneak Attack stack with a rogue's sneak attack? Logically it would, but WOTC are inconsistent and weird, so... :smalltongue:
2. What are your opinions of Derro?
3. What would be a good prestige for a Derro that enjoyed torture?

Assuming 3.X:
1. Yes.

2a. For monsters, they can be fun.
2b. For characters, they're absolute rubbish. Just roleplay a crazy Goblin.

3a. NPC: Wilder (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/wilder.htm)/Body Leech. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040925a) Or Rogue. Or anything, for that matter. Torture really boils down to "hurting people," and that's something 90% of classes are designed to do.
3b. PC: Totemist (MoI)/Souldrinker (BoVD) or Swordsage (ToB). Both of those are fairly friendly to wasted HD, and they might let the character kind of work, in certain contexts.

SurlySeraph
2010-06-05, 06:19 PM
1. Yes.
2. Eh. Interesting concept, but not extraordinary.
3. Avenging Executioner would be a good one.

The Tygre
2010-06-05, 10:38 PM
Derro are underused in my opinion. Their schtick comes off as 'evil dwarves', but we've got duergar covering that base. Kobold Quarterly's first ecology was about them, and Mongoose Publishing did a Slayer's Guide. Honestly, I prefer Pathfinder's spin; they're sort of the E.T.s of the Underdark Darklands. They secretly raid homes and cities, capture someone for a few hours to torture and experiment on them, then drop the victim back at home if it's still alive. Good paranoia fuel; the victim can usually be patched up by magic in the course of the night, and by morning is left wondering if it was all a nightmare.

Samb
2010-06-05, 10:44 PM
Not a PrC but any class with pain and suffering domain/mantle would fit.

Sagira
2010-06-19, 02:43 PM
For a tormenting prestige class I almost took on myself for my derro it's the Vile Tormentor. It's found in Plot and Poison A Guidebook to Drow.

Arcane_Secrets
2010-06-19, 09:02 PM
Derro are underused in my opinion. Their schtick comes off as 'evil dwarves', but we've got duergar covering that base. Kobold Quarterly's first ecology was about them, and Mongoose Publishing did a Slayer's Guide. Honestly, I prefer Pathfinder's spin; they're sort of the E.T.s of the Underdark Darklands. They secretly raid homes and cities, capture someone for a few hours to torture and experiment on them, then drop the victim back at home if it's still alive. Good paranoia fuel; the victim can usually be patched up by magic in the course of the night, and by morning is left wondering if it was all a nightmare.

There is so much wrong I could do with that conceptually. I'm envisioning one of the PC's waking up the next morning and everything appears right with them at first, except for the nightmares...and then they notice that their right and left hands are attached to the wrong arms and there are scars all around their wrists.

Raiki
2010-06-19, 09:28 PM
1) Yes.

2) Awesome-Crazy-Don-King-Dwarves! *Ahem* I mean...I like them. :smallbiggrin:

3) I'd say go with Fleshwarper (LoM). Fairly flavorful and full of fluffy fun!

~R~