PDA

View Full Version : Hexblade Revision

Corporate M
2010-06-05, 07:31 PM
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/cwc_Hexblade_med.jpg
Why do some of the most fluff worthy classes have the worst mechanics? The hexblade is only a step above the fighter in horrible mecahnics, and it does so because of it's biggest class feature: hexblade curse. This curse is hardly noticable at higher levels, (where weapons are replaced with natural attacks and spells by monsters) and even at lower levels is less effective then say... ray of enfeeblement!

So if the hexblade wants to be a combat class that relies on debuffing his opponents. He should actually do that. Therefore, there will be two big changes.

Change Number 1: Point based curse ability.
The hexblade gains 1 point per hexblade level plus his charisma modifier, to split amongst any penalty increntment. As the original curse, it lasts for one hour, but now is much more versatile in what it can accomplish. Point for point, each time he uses curse he can allocate the points to a specific debuff mechanism.
-1 on saving throws
-1 on attack rolls
-1 on damage rolls
-1 to AC

A first level hexblade with 18 charisma has five points to stretch out the legs. Perhaps make the enemy unable to attack, (-5 atk) or deal any damage (-5 dmg) could get creative and have -2 on saving throws, -1 on attack, and -1 on damage. The options are endless, as they should be since this is all he can do!

Change Number 2: Get rid of summon familiar and replace it with "greater curse".

I know hexblade formerly had an ability called greater curse, but this new change makes that old version obselete. You know what else is obselete? A familiar. Whats the point? Especially all of a sudden getting it at fourth level? It's just useless baggage... instead, at fourth level, the hexblade gets greater curse, which allows him to choose when he uses a curse which saving throw the target makes to resist it. (Rather then the basic will) This gives the hexblade some reassurance that his save will work, being able to choose a well known bad saving throw for his target!

I don't quite think he's tier-3 with these reditions. (I would hope he's capable of hanging out with tome of battle classes) But he is comparible to a warlock now atleast.

FlamingKobold
2010-06-05, 07:39 PM
Are you trying to nerf the Hexblade? It's already a weak class, why would you take away a familiar? Everyone knows that it's their best class feature.
Lightning warrior references aside, I think that these do boost the power level. The variable curse thing might be a bit weird, especially allocating all of those points at high levels. Maybe add specific things that the curse can do? That'd be cool...

Temotei
2010-06-05, 08:08 PM
Are you trying to nerf the Hexblade? It's already a weak class, why would you take away a familiar? Everyone knows that it's their best class feature.

I think you're thinking of the dark companion.

arguskos
2010-06-05, 08:20 PM
There is another way out, actually. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7624907&postcount=1) Also, Temotei, I AM NEVER CALLING IT THAT! :smallyuk:

Note: this is not a fix, it's a new base class that is pretty good as a Hexblade with a more magical focus.