PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me any great anime or animated show.

Erts
2010-06-07, 08:31 PM
In the spirit of the "Recommend me a book" thread, could you please recommend me any good anime or animated show?
I've seen all of B:TAS, JL, JLU, but not really many animes.

Mando Knight
2010-06-07, 08:39 PM
...OK, where to start?

...Powerpuff Girls. That could be a start.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-07, 08:40 PM
Avatar the Last Airbender is one that I enjoy very much and it is actually good (at least the first two sessions, I haven't actually see much of the third one).

For anime... well I am a bit mainstream so I recomed what I know and like, Bleach, Naruto and One Piece are my favorites, I also like Full Metal Panic,

Fullmetal Alchemist is also good (there are to version Plain FMA and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood)

Death Note is a great one if a bit darker than the other I have said.

Edit: Teen Titans is also good, Megas XLR is a great (IMO) american mecha series......

Kuma Da
2010-06-07, 08:41 PM
Hoo boy. *rubs hands* Here's a list. It's by no means comprehensive, and I favor mature-ish action/drama, but here you go.

Bakkano! (occult-punk heist comedy. If you saw and liked Snatch, Layer Cake, Lock Stock, etc, you'll probably enjoy this.)

Cowboy Beebop (probably a defining work, and almost certainly an influence on Firefly. Music-themed space-western with ample gunplay and some philosophizing.)

Samurai Champloo (by the same director as Beebop, and thematically similar. A modernized samurai drama set in feudal Japan.)

Last Exile (wonderful. is kind of an epic fantasy for the air-punk genre, and starts off really kid friendly but slowly grows up.)

Noein (so very hard to describe. aimed sort of at a younger audience, but not even slightly kiddy. transdimensional action-romance that knows exactly how to break it's audiences hearts and then put them back together. also has a really thinky psuedo-science sideline.)

Ghost Hound (also very thinky. psychological/supernatural drama about small-town rural Japan, but not a fanservice-y nightmare like that particular genre likes to be. hella high production values, and the guy from ghost in the shell was involved in the production. Speaking of which...)

Ghost in the shell (just watch the movie. then watch The Matrix. Then cry.)

+1's:

Avatar: the last airbender (damn, it's supposedly a kid's show, but I've never seen character growth like that in an american cartoon before.)

Fullmetal Alchemist (for a fairly simple shounen about a man with a rockin' metal arm, it's just solidly good. Some dud episodes, but it's part of what got me into anime.)

Erts
2010-06-07, 08:52 PM
Seen Naruto, Champloo, Teen Titans, A:TAB, One Piece, Bleach, and a lot of those.
I've always wanted to see Bebop...

Brewdude
2010-06-07, 08:54 PM
Yup Cowboy Bebop. That's the one. Watch it first. Don't give up before you've seen episode 5.

chiasaur11
2010-06-07, 09:16 PM
Transformers Animated was good.

Batman The Brave and the Bold? Aces. More Batman is good.

Should do you for a little bit.

Thufir
2010-06-07, 09:19 PM
Fullmetal Alchemist, Trigun.
That's pretty much the extent of my anime knowledge, but they're both good.

Erts
2010-06-07, 09:20 PM
Batman The Brave and the Bold? Aces. More Batman is good.

BEST SHOW EVER

Seriously, I am a huge fan.

Bhu
2010-06-07, 09:43 PM
Invader Zim
Urusei Yatsura
AD Police Files
Bubblegum Crisis
Excel Saga
Ghost in the Shell
Robot Carnival (if you can find it)
Catnapped
Akira
Vampire Hunter D
Ninja Nonsense
Cat Soup
Project A-Ko
Azumanga Daioh
Appleseed
Battle Angel Alita
Dominion Tank Police
Lensman
My Youth in Arcadia
Nausicaa
Princess Mononoke
Pet Shop of Horrors
Queen Emeraldas
Riding Bean
Gunsmith Cats
Vampire Princess Miyu
Ninja Scroll

That should keep you busy a bit

thubby
2010-06-07, 09:55 PM
you could watch the original NGE just for credibility with otaku.

hellsing OVA's if you want mindless over-the top violence and cool action. and one strangely awesome psychotic evil guy.

Kuma Da
2010-06-07, 10:22 PM
Invader Zim
Urusei Yatsura
AD Police Files
Bubblegum Crisis
Excel Saga
Ghost in the Shell
Robot Carnival (if you can find it)
Catnapped
Akira
Vampire Hunter D
Ninja Nonsense
Cat Soup
Project A-Ko
Azumanga Daioh
Appleseed
Battle Angel Alita
Dominion Tank Police
Lensman
My Youth in Arcadia
Nausicaa
Princess Mononoke
Pet Shop of Horrors
Queen Emeraldas
Riding Bean
Gunsmith Cats
Vampire Princess Miyu
Ninja Scroll

That should keep you busy a bit

:smalleek::smalleek::smalleek:

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-06-07, 10:35 PM
Gonna third Cowboy Bebop. I've just finished the series myself, and I consider it to be a masterpiece. It's very artful and subtle, and it does a beautiful job of working together plot and characterization, without the "in your face" characterization that marks a lot of literature.

Fullmetal Alchemist (I would recommend starting with the original, from everything I've heard, though I have yet to see it myself...) is another very good pick.

Soras Teva Gee
2010-06-07, 10:48 PM
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha: Its a super robot show with cute girls toting Wave Motion Guns instead of robots.

The Vision of Escaflowne: Oldie but a goodie. Giant mecha in a fantasy setting.

Neon Genesis Evangelion: The classic anime. Watch the original series then catch the updated Rebuild movies. Gainax deconstructs super-robots and helps invent protagonists with problems.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: Little suprised its hasn't been mentioned yet. Possibly the most over the top mecha series ever. Gainax plays super-robots straight and cures protagionists with problems by being hot blooded.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: A more at length examination of the themes of future politics and effects of technology upon society. With lots of great military action and the cutest little spider tanks ever. I also highly recommend the dubbing work

Outlaw Star: A straightforward yet immensely fun series. Space western action. Also another series I recomend the dubbing work on.

Code Geass: I've recently come to the realization that its mixture of totally serious drama and odd nonsene (with a side order of mind screw) is perhaps the closest I've seen a series get to encompassing the sum of anime. Which includes some flaws and even serious ones mind you, but on balance its a plus. And Lelouch is the most interesting character I've seen some time.

Gundam, et al: Though not without exception you generally would do well investing in this franchise.

(Hmm almost everything in there's a mecha series. Well that okay because chicks dig giant robots)

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2010-06-07, 11:00 PM
Men in Black: The Series
Godzilla: The Series

These are very good series in their own right, let alone movie spin-off cartoons.

AlterForm
2010-06-07, 11:00 PM
First of all, another +1 to Cowboy Bebop.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: Little suprised its hasn't been mentioned yet. Possibly the most over the top mecha series ever. Gainax plays super-robots straight and cures protagionists with problems by being hot blooded.

If you watch TTGL and find you enjoy the over-the-top absurdity, look into Fooly-Cooly Furi-Kuri FLCL. 6 Episodes of "WTF just happened?"

As for recommendations, look at this man's face:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ef/Hayao_Miyazaki.jpg

Learn it. Remember it. Love it.

That is the face of Hayao Miyazaki, the creative genius behind Studio Ghibli. Anything he is associated with is nigh-guaranteed to be a genuine work of art. Most notable works:

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Kiki's Delivery Service
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
My Neighbor Totoro
Porco Rosso
Spirited Away
Princess Mononoke
Howl's Moving Castle
Ponyo

Knaight
2010-06-07, 11:08 PM
That is the face of Hayao Miyazaki, the creative genius behind Studio Ghibli. Anything he is associated with is nigh-guaranteed to be a genuine work of art. Most notable works:

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Kiki's Delivery Service
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
My Neighbor Totoro
Porco Rosso
Spirited Away
Princess Mononoke
Howl's Moving Castle
Ponyo

The guy is brilliant, remember all of these. Furthermore, Lupin III: The castle of caglisostro is his take on the Lupin III series, and also very good.

As for less movie like stuff, and more serial type anime, I'm going to reference a few things from before.

Full Metal Alchemist is very good, but the second show is far, far beyond the first, though it takes a while to pick up steam.

Seirei no Moribito is also brilliant, and has yet to be mentioned. Its a fairly realistic fantasy, and very well done.

Cowboy Bebop is worth watching, though it is unique and somewhat polarizing.

Noir is the same way, also decent, not incredible.

Code Geass is one of my favorite anime series, but you have to have some familiarity in the genre (and with Death Note) to properly appreciate it.

TheThan
2010-06-07, 11:11 PM
It helps if we had an idea of what sorts of themes you like. Judging from your list of shows, it looks like you like super heroes.

Anime is a huge form of media; you can find every genre imaginable in it. That’s not even an exaggeration here. Now because its so all encompassing its nice to have a place to start, like a genre for instance so we can point you in the right direction. Otherwise people are just going to randomly list shows they like, which might not be shows you like.

Lord Seth
2010-06-07, 11:14 PM
Gargoyles: If you liked Batman and JL/JLU, this is probably right up your alley. It's got great characters, a great plot, and a great first two seasons (even though the world tour arc drags and contains some of the worst episodes of the first two seasons). Unfortunately, season three isn't very good; in fact, it's actually not even canon according to the series creator, he continued it in a comic series that is the official canon continuation.

Avatar: The Last Airbender: This is a bit like Gargoyles. Like Gargoyles, the third season's weak and the finale has problems all over the place, but season one and two (especially two) were so great I recommend it anyway.

W.I.T.C.H.: A lot like Avatar; in fact, it's probably the closest thing to Avatar I can think of. It's hard to say whether it's better or worse; depends on whether you think a bad third season is better than or worse than no third season.

BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBo: My personal favorite show. However, it's a love it or hate it show, but you might as well check it out to find out what camp you fall into. By the way, if you (like me) find yourself initially liking it but finding it a bit repetitive in the early episodes, keep going, it starts getting really good around episode 10.

Soras Teva Gee
2010-06-07, 11:44 PM
Code Geass is one of my favorite anime series, but you have to have some familiarity in the genre (and with Death Note) to properly appreciate it.

Why Death Note? The series share absolutely nothing. No not a thing. No. Nothing. No not even that, its completely different. :smalltongue:

Mando Knight
2010-06-07, 11:50 PM
BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBo: My personal favorite show. However, it's a love it or hate it show, but you might as well check it out to find out what camp you fall into. By the way, if you (like me) find yourself initially liking it but finding it a bit repetitive in the early episodes, keep going, it starts getting really good around episode 10.

Those who wish to maintain an illusion of sanity need not apply. Lots-o-Bos is about the weirdest Japanese thing on the Weird Japanese Thing scale.

Kyouhen
2010-06-07, 11:54 PM
Personally I've become somewhat obsessed with When Higurashi Cry lately. If you like happy adorable characters getting killed off in overly painful ways you'll probably like this show. Huge amounts of WTF from the plot too.

EDIT:
If you do decide to watch it though make sure you watch at least the first 4 episodes. It all looks pretty generic happy-cute-fun-time, then quickly starts to go downhill.

chiasaur11
2010-06-07, 11:59 PM
Those who wish to maintain an illusion of sanity need not apply. Lots-o-Bos is about the weirdest Japanese thing on the Weird Japanese Thing scale.

So, we're talking into the MegaKanighers, then?

Eesh, that's crazy.

Kyouhen
2010-06-08, 12:02 AM

Shin-chan. That is all.

Setra
2010-06-08, 12:03 AM
Western Animated Shows:
Teen Titans
Batman: The Brave and the Bold

As far as anime go.. well to get you into anime I'd recommend something popular, like Naruto

As far as personal recommendations go though:
If you like sad try Saikano
If you like over the top try Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
If you like awesome action try Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha

I don't really watch as much anime as I read manga.... but if the anime is anywhere near as fun and awesome as the manga, Fairy Tail.

You'd think so, but my friend who loves stuff like that has found worse.

I forgot the name of it, or maybe I repressed it, but yeah.

mallorean_thug
2010-06-08, 12:44 AM
It helps if we had an idea of what sorts of themes you like. Judging from your list of shows, it looks like you like super heroes.

Anime is a huge form of media; you can find every genre imaginable in it. That’s not even an exaggeration here. Now because its so all encompassing its nice to have a place to start, like a genre for instance so we can point you in the right direction. Otherwise people are just going to randomly list shows they like, which might not be shows you like.

Exactly. So, if Erts still cares, I like and must second:

This:

Bakkano! (occult-punk heist comedy. If you saw and liked Snatch, Layer Cake, Lock Stock, etc, you'll probably enjoy this.)

These:

Neon Genesis Evangelion: The classic anime. Watch the original series then catch the updated Rebuild movies. Gainax deconstructs super-robots and helps invent protagonists with problems.

Code Geass: I've recently come to the realization that its mixture of totally serious drama and odd nonsene (with a side order of mind screw) is perhaps the closest I've seen a series get to encompassing the sum of anime. Which includes some flaws and even serious ones mind you, but on balance its a plus. And Lelouch is the most interesting character I've seen some time.

This:

If you watch TTGL and find you enjoy the over-the-top absurdity, look into Fooly-Cooly Furi-Kuri FLCL. 6 Episodes of "WTF just happened?"

(For the rest of this post, Miyizaki does movies and I believe Erts wanted shows, but yes, 1000yeses, if he wants movies)

And This:

Personally I've become somewhat obsessed with When Higurashi Cry lately. If you like happy adorable characters getting killed off in overly painful ways you'll probably like this show. Huge amounts of WTF from the plot too. (not the way I'd descibe it to recommend it, but yes)

EDIT:
If you do decide to watch it though make sure you watch at least the first 4 episodes. It all looks pretty generic happy-cute-fun-time, then quickly starts to go downhill. (Also yes)

And then must add myself:

Monster: (delibrately paced suspense/drama set in post cold war Eastern Europe. Also long and very serious in tone.)

Ergo Proxy (thinky mystery action, I guess, set in a future world where humans are stuck living in domes because the atmosphere got kind of messed up. Quite pretentious at times, but not without the research to back itself up. Also pretty.)

Eden of the East: ( suspense action, pulls inspiration from Bourne, delivers relevant social commentary, has cute characters, set in modern day Japan with excursion(s) to the US. Also prettier (yay production IG))

. . . and I'm too sleep deprived to think of any more. But if you follow even half the recs in this thread I think you'll be busy for a while.

Lawless III
2010-06-08, 01:11 AM
Watch any movie made by Studio Ghibli. They're all good. Seriously.

Tengu_temp
2010-06-08, 01:47 AM
Until we learn more about the criteria you're looking for, I'm gonna say Legend of the Overfiend.

Atelm
2010-06-08, 02:39 AM
Seconding Last Exile, and load of other stuff already mentioned, particularly the Miyazaki movies (and anything else by Studio Ghibli, can't really go wrong there).

Going to give recommendations for Record of Lodoss War (both the '90 OVA, and the '98 TV series), and anything by CLAMP that has been adapted into anime (since I don't know your criteria, but worth a try).

Also, if you don't have a short attention span, and are not afraid of shows filled to the brim with dialogue, you could give Crest/Banner of the Stars a try.

Personally I've become somewhat obsessed with When Higurashi Cry lately. If you like happy adorable characters getting killed off in overly painful ways you'll probably like this show. Huge amounts of WTF from the plot too.

It would've been better had the anime adaption not been a totally botched one. For a more faithful adaption one could try the manga, or just go straight to the source and read the sound novels.

Mercenary Pen
2010-06-08, 03:27 AM
Until we learn more about the criteria you're looking for, I'm gonna say Legend of the Overfiend.

Disclaimer: Don't do this unless you are of legal age to watch it... It is rated for adults, at least in the UK, and with good reson from what I've heard.

*wallops Tengu with frying pan for recommending Hentai to the unwary*

TheSummoner
2010-06-08, 03:58 AM
Four classics I reccomend any anime fan see...

Trigun
Lupin III
Cowboy Bebop
Yu Yu Hakusho

I also reccomend...

Code Geass (I'm really not a mech fan, but I liked this one)
Fullmetal Alchemist (War crimes and human experimentation and inhuman monsters, oh my!)
Death Note (Not alot of action, but the plot keeps you hooked)
Elfen Lied (Warning: Mature audiences only... I'd begin to explain why, but even the reasons are not forum appropriate... Lets just say something bad happens to a puppy and something much worse happens to the people who did that to the puppy... and then everyone else)

Terraoblivion
2010-06-08, 09:02 AM
*wallops Tengu with frying pan for recommending Hentai to the unwary*

Please tell me you used a normal frying pan and not Osaka's "frying pan" :smalleek:

On that note i'll recommend Azumanga Daioh. I don't care who you are or what you like otherwise, it is something you should watch. A sketch comedy show about a group of more or less eccentric Japanese schoolgirls and their teachers. And when i say "more or less" i mean that some are more and some less. One of the classics of comedy anime, really.

Mostly i'll refrain from giving recommendations until i get some idea of what you are looking for though.

Atelm
2010-06-08, 11:51 AM
Please tell me you used a normal frying pan and not Osaka's "frying pan" :smalleek:

What do you mean? It's clearly a frying pan. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37mPoKQijj8) :smalltongue: :smallbiggrin:

I hope they adapt Yotsuba& one day.

Frozen_Feet
2010-06-08, 12:37 PM
Elfen Lied (Warning: Mature audiences only... I'd begin to explain why, but even the reasons are not forum appropriate... Lets just say something bad happens to a puppy and something much worse happens to the people who did that to the puppy... and then everyone else)

To put it other way: they don't use paint to color the walls red in that series...

My own recommendations:

2x2 Shinobuden (Ninja Nonsense)
Maid Guy
Kodomo no Jikan

mangosta71
2010-06-08, 01:17 PM
Shin Chan is absolutely hilarious.

If you want more serious, aside from the obligatory +1 for Cowboy Bebop:
Macross - an oldie but a goodie. Adapted into English as the first generation (season) of Robotech. (The third generation of Robotech is also good, but the second kind of drags.) Available free on hulu.
Macross Plus - available in English or Japanese with subtitles, though the dubbing is excellent. 4 ~40 minute episodes, or a movie that compresses the 4 episodes into roughly 2 hours. Can be found in a few stores, or Amazon.
Macross Frontier - only available in Japanese with subtitles at this point. Like the original Macross, space opera, but Frontier is the first series with political intrigue thrown into the mix. You'll probably have to download this one - don't think even Amazon stocks it.

You should look up Yoko Kanno. She did the soundtracks for Cowboy Bebop, Macross Plus, and Macross Frontier, as well as a host of other anime series. Anything she's worked on will have a phenomenal soundtrack and be worth watching for that alone.

Tengu_temp
2010-06-08, 01:35 PM

Osaka can wake me up with her frying pan any day.

Eloi
2010-06-08, 01:40 PM
Death Note, if you have patience and like your mind to be played with while watching people die, or perhaps Elfen Lied if you can tolerate excessive gore and nudity, or perhaps Lucky Star with cute moe girls in everyday situations.
...what? They all can't be horrifying.

Kuma Da
2010-06-08, 01:47 PM
Death Note, if you have patience and like your mind to be played with while watching people die, or perhaps Elfen Lied if you can tolerate excessive gore and nudity, or perhaps Lucky Star with cute moe girls in everyday situations.
...what? They all can't be horrifying.

Au contraire. I'd wager the last one is plenty horrifying.

Moe. *shudders*

Eloi
2010-06-08, 01:53 PM
Au contraire. I'd wager the last one is plenty horrifying.

Moe. *shudders*

It is to Elfen Lied what Happy Hardcore is to Funeral Metal.

Exarch
2010-06-08, 02:16 PM
I don't watch a whole lot of Western animation, however Avatar is a lot of fun. It's geared towards kids...but the story is pretty original and there's lots of comedy, good characters, some sorrow and is just a good show in general.

Now, as to anime? I can answer that. I recommend:
Record of Lodoss War if you like DnD. The original only, as Chronicles of the Heroic Knight is kind of meh, but they're still watchable. In fact, it may be better to watch Chronicles first as they change a lot of the lore and history.
Berserk if you like gore, fighting, some supernatural but mostly a story of ambition and falling. With gore. If you read the manga, it's a lot more hardcore.
Trigun a classic. There's a reason you'll see a lot of cosplays and references to this.
Cowboy Behop is also a classic. It's great. I liked this better than Outlaw Star.
UC: Gundam and I specify Universal Century because Wing Gundam and the others have absurd plot armor that upsets me. It gets a little angsty, but there's lots of good action, intrigue, and characters. Zeta's Kamille is an emo kid, but it's fun to watch him get slapped silly. Of these, I recommend 08 MS Team, War in the Pocket, and Stardust Memory most highly. These are fairly stand alone as well.
Last Exile is good. Fun and fast paced.
His and Her Circumstances if you like dramas and school-life stories.
Katana Gatari if you like stylized art work and don't mind fan subs...but it's also not finished yet and each episode is released once a month! >.>
Spice and Wolf is a lot of fun. It's about a merchant who befriends a giant wolf harvest spirit and their adventures. I'm eagerly awaiting a third series right now.
Bamboo Blade is a story about a girl's kendo team in Japan. It's really funny and cute.
Macross definitely Macross. It's good stuff, though I'm not a fan of the new one even though everyone else is.
Excel Saga if you like whacky, wtf stuff. It's a lot of fun.
Fate/Stay Night is superb. Modern day Japan, there's a wizard battle where the wizards summon up legendary warriors to fight for them. It's based off a good game...but said game has age restrictions.
Ghost in the Shell, seriously. Watch the original movie and/or Stand Alone Complex. Just go, now.
Neon Genesis Eva if you don't mind angst, it's wonderful.
Princess Mononoke and its brethren. Gorgeous movies, wonderful stories.

If I think of more later, I'll edit this.

Edit: I can't believe I forgot Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, d'oh. Also, Jinroh is a good movie if you enjoy political thrillers. Paprika is a trippy movie, but good...it's about the world of dreams and how they're being used to mess with people. Yakitake Japan is a show about cooking...that's done similar to DBZ. It's completely hilarious and anyone would become a better person by watching it. I think don't think it was licensed though? Ranma 1/2 is great, another one that slipped my mind. And Venture Brothers is an awesome Johnny Quest parody that's really come into its own.

TheThan
2010-06-08, 03:58 PM
A few that i don't thing have been mentioned yet:

Soul Eater: A vaguely goth fantasy with very unique artistic style. You can find it on hulu subbed, and I think they also have it dubbed.

The big O: batman meets giant robots. Honestly, its less absurd than it sounds and is actually pretty awesome.

Full metal alchemist: alchemy as magic. Two kids dabble in things they shouldn't, and are now on a quest to set things right.

The Vision of Escaflowne: steampunk giant robots.

Samurai 7: Akira Kurosawa's epic story meets giant robots.

Deth Muncher
2010-06-08, 04:35 PM
As for recommendations, look at this man's face:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ef/Hayao_Miyazaki.jpg

I was in the same room as him one time. :O

And yes, every thing that man has worked on is certifiable gold. Everything. Go watch. Now. NAO.

Mercenary Pen
2010-06-08, 05:06 PM

Yes, it was an ordinary frying pan... and I waited for it to cool down first rather than inflicting umpteenth degree burns the moment it struck Tengu...

Dr.Epic
2010-06-08, 05:10 PM
Well Clone High was a great show but it's off the air and only had thirteen episodes.

Cubey
2010-06-08, 06:01 PM
I browsed through this thread and found a lack of Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

So here's what I suggest. A light and comedic, but also deep and philosophical series about an energetic and egocentric high school girl in search of weird things in life, and her snarky male minion friend, who is also the viewpoint character. I do not want to spoil anything (unless the internet already did it for you), but let it be said that things are not as they appear at the start. The episodes' airing order was deliberately achronological, and I suggest watching in that order as well (some releases come in chronological order - which totally ruins the dramatic timing if you ask me). Other hints: don't let the first episode influence your opinion of the series too much, as it is an in-universe movie made by the characters, which sucks on purpose and is in general a parody of the series. There is also a second season, watch it if you want to as it is good as well - except for the really infamous "Endless Eight" episodes.

Get ready for a ride of your life. I watched a lot of various series, many of them great - but Haruhi still remains my favorite.

White_North
2010-06-08, 08:22 PM
Let me be the first to recommend Hajime no Ippo. I usually dislike sports animes, because they usually end up looking like the cast of Dragonball Z decided to take up sports (for reference, see Prince of Tennis). Hajime no Ippo, on the other hand, feels and looks more or less real. The storyline is solid, the fights are incredibly fun to watch, and the characters are just fantastic (especially the development of the main character, which is both very believable and consistent). Plus, Takamura is pure awesome.

Otherwise, I'll second most of what's already been said in this thread: Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, TTGL,etc... I'll only add in a lesser-known anime that's recently become one of my favourites: Mononoke. If you like horror/mystery, it's hard to do better. It's about a medicine seller in feudal japan (and other time periods), who goes about exorcising ghosts. The storylines are compelling, the art style is nothing short of masterful and the series has significant thematic depth. I highly recommend it.

Kuma Da
2010-06-08, 11:13 PM
+1 Mononoke, although the trippy art style and very Japanese sense of horror might put you off.

Leecros
2010-06-08, 11:22 PM
Soul Eater: A vaguely goth fantasy with very unique artistic style. You can find it on hulu subbed, and I think they also have it dubbed.

They have Soul Eater on Hulu? Since when did they start hosting anime that isn't Naruto?

of course maybe i think that because i don't dive too far deeper other than the most popular list(which Naruto episodes are sometimes a part of).

also it might be good to mention that Hulu's localized to the United States right now. So if one lives outside of the US then Hulu isn't really an option for them.

I second Soul Eater though, i just started re-watching it tonight, It's a good show, but

IMO the ending was disappointing

Edit: Also if you don't care about your brain cells watch Excel Saga :smallbiggrin:

Kato
2010-06-09, 02:45 AM
Um... okay... I'm like the 100th guy but still, give Cowboy Bebop a try. Don't think I know anyone who thinks it's a bad series.

TTGL is great unless you have a distaste for over the top crazy sillyness and hot-blood etc.

Hellsing Ultimate is great (I'd really recommend that one not the old series) if you can stand some gore-y-ness-ish scenes (I guess)

Gundam... uh... I really liked G Gundam... TTGL turned down to 10. The UC series are fine enough (even if a bit hyped but all Gundam series are a bit hyped) but the ones I can recommend wholeheartedly bad are ZZ, 8th MS Team and War in the pocket. Also, the latest installment 00 was rather fine I think.

A classic I haven't seen mentioned so far is the Ranma 1/2 series. Sometimes a bit cheesy but overall just hilarious Martial Arts comedy.

It must have been somewhere but I seem to have missed it: Dragonball (Z) (depending on your taste, I'd go for Z but you should know what happened in DB) Akira Toriyama is not one of the great artists for nothing.

Two less known series I've seen recently: Dai Guard (very REAL Real Robot) and Dai Mahou Touge (Magical Girl Parody, 8*12min only)

Everything else... has been mentioned already and I don't care to repeat or I don't care to mention.

raitalin
2010-06-09, 03:25 AM
I am seriously disappointed in the lack of The Venture Brothers and The Boondocks in this thread.

Cubey
2010-06-09, 05:47 AM
I really liked G Gundam... TTGL turned down to 10.

If it's not a typo, I find it amusing that TTGL gets turned down to 10. Very fitting.

horngeek
2010-06-09, 05:56 AM
Like Gargoyles, the third season's weak and the finale has problems all over the place

YMMV. I loved the third season, and the finale.

On anime: I recommend Fate/Stay Night, and Nanoha (all three seasons). Also, Bleach and Naruto are good, although I will admit they're a bit weak on the plot side, the fights are cool enough that I am willing to ignore that. :smalltongue:

Fullmetal Alchemist. Manga is just ending now (:smallfrown:). There are two anime series: Brotherhood, the second (and running) one, follows the events of the anime faithfully.

The first one deviates into an original plot, specifically so that it didn't have to have Loads and Loads of Filler to avoid overtaking the manga. I haven't watched either anime all the way through, but Brotherhood is quite good.

Setra
2010-06-09, 01:19 PM
They have Soul Eater on Hulu? Since when did they start hosting anime that isn't Naruto?
Sengoku Basara is on Hulu

I've been watching it lately, it's a blast.

ZeroNumerous
2010-06-09, 02:37 PM
... but the ones I can recommend wholeheartedly are ZZ, 8th MS Team and War in the pocket.

I would also suggest Zeta and Victory. But I'd warn you that these series may, or may not, depress the heck out of you. These series(plus Turn-A) earned Tomino the nick name "Kill 'Em All" for good reason.

As for suggestions: I'd like to put forward something in the vein of comedy, since many people have already suggested others.

Sayanora Zetsubou Sensei: Where do I start? It's a series about a weird class being taught by a teacher with a flair for pointless drama. At least one episode involves a marriage cemented by making eye contact with something. I deliberately avoided saying 'someone' with good reason.

Tokyo Godfathers: Three homeless people find a baby. They then go on a quest to find said baby's parents. Hilarity ensues.

Ah! My Goddess: Kind of old, but simple romantic comedy is always good. It involves three goddesses and the obligatory wet noodle male lead.

Ouran Highschool Host Club: Female->Male accidental crossdresser stumbles upon an all pretty boy club that caters to the needs of extremely rich and extremely vapid students in her highschool. She breaks something and the club recruitspress-gangs her... As one of the pretty boys. Hilarity ensues.

Kamen no Maid Guy: It's a masked muscular man fighting ninjas. Except the main lead is actually a high school girl who spends her time being traumatized by said man ruining her otherwise normal life by being an all-invasive maid. Imagine if fan service met masked superheroes and the unholy union would be this.

As for my non-comedies... Well, I wouldn't watch many of these unless you're fairly unaffected by depressing series.

Gunslinger Girl: Tiny adorable androidscyborgs shoot tiny adorable guns into not-tiny not-adorable gangsters. Adorable slaughter ensues.

Wolf's Rain: Something I'm kind of surprised hasn't been mentioned. The last surviving wolves try to find paradise, and will eat anyone or anything in their way.

Saikano: I... I can't really start on this one. "Magical girl android/cyborg/thing falls in love with boy and hopes to live peacefully but the world says otherwise" doesn't really capture it. It's... There's nothing that ends well in this world. That is all.

Air: Wandering puppeteer finds the girl of his dreams, resulting in a romantic comedy set to the tone of Romeo and Juliet. And no, that isn't a good thing.

Terraoblivion
2010-06-09, 03:55 PM
Apropos wolves. Spice and Wolf. In the middle ages a traveling peddler meets a wolf goddess who look like a 15-year old girl. Economics and romantic tension ensues. Notable not only for being one of the most historically accurate pieces of fantasy out there and for having surprisingly good economics, but also for the well-developed chemistry and banter between the lead characters. And did i mention the economics? I guess that it takes a somewhat special person to enjoy a show that spends this much energy on the particulars of currency exchange or pyrite bubbles. But if you are that person you are rewarded with both engaging, intelligent plot and a surprisingly good romance. And a cute, drunk wolfgirl wagging her tail suggestively, which is always a bonus.

Also Turn A Gundam had nothing to do with Tomino gaining his nickname. Not only does it have just about the lowest body count of any Gundam show ever, it was released long after the nickname was established. Apart from Zeta and Victory, the most likely candidate to have contributed to him gaining the nickname is probably Ideon. After all it ends with all intelligent life in the universe being killed. Including the baby who was born shortly before the end and no there is no hope presented. Another candidate in giving him the reputation would likely be Zambot 3. It might be a brightly colored 70s super robot fighting silly looking aliens, but it is still a grim story that leaves most of the cast dead and begins with a brutal genocide that only leaves a few survivors. The survivors are then blamed by the people they seek refuge with for bringing the guilty party to the place they hid.

ZeroNumerous
2010-06-09, 04:31 PM
Not only does it have just about the lowest body count of any Gundam show ever ...

Turn-A starts and ends in a post-apocalyptic world that has had all it's technology dissolved.

Now think about how many people require pacemakers. How many easily solved medical issues are no longer solvable due to the loss of chemo, vaccine production, etc.

It may have the lowest body count on camera, but it's got the biggest body count in Fridge Logic.

... it was released long after the nickname was established.

Granted. I had forgotten the release date and assumed it was a post-Victory production.

TheThan
2010-06-09, 04:44 PM

of course maybe i think that because i don't dive too far deeper other than the most popular list(which Naruto episodes are sometimes a part of).

also it might be good to mention that Hulu's localized to the United States right now. So if one lives outside of the US then Hulu isn't really an option for them.

I second Soul Eater though, i just started re-watching it tonight, It's a good show, but

IMO the ending was disappointing

Edit: Also if you don't care about your brain cells watch Excel Saga :smallbiggrin:

Yup, some time ago I reckon. I picked it out randomly on Hulu and started watching it. About two weeks later a friend comes to me and says, "hey I just found this awesome new amine called soul eater." So I’m like "oh I’ve heard of it.".

As far as not caring about brain cells, Excel Saga did less damage then Neon Genesis Evangelion did. Granted most of it was the ending (oh the psychobabble).

Lets see, most of the anime I’ve seen has already been mentioned. But I think we’ve missed Slayers. Pint sized wizard Lina Inverse blows crap up for fun and profit (mostly fun IIRC).

Tengu_temp
2010-06-09, 04:47 PM
Turn-A starts and ends in a post-apocalyptic world that has had all it's technology dissolved.

Now think about how many people require pacemakers. How many easily solved medical issues are no longer solvable due to the loss of chemo, vaccine production, etc.

It may have the lowest body count on camera, but it's got the biggest body count in Fridge Logic.

By this logic all series that lack the technology to have pacemakers are Kill'em All. Heck, all series where people die are Kill'em All.

Terraoblivion
2010-06-09, 04:48 PM
By that logic setting a movie in the 19th century means that you gleefully kill off characters since nutrition, sanitation and medical technology was much worse back then. You have to deal with what happens in the actual show and not the established background of the setting to determine how many people die in the show. It isn't like Victory, Zeta, Zambot or Ideon where the deaths are explicit, intentional and meant to underscore the themes of the shows. In Turn A Gundam the deaths aren't even implicit. I mean they are a consequence of the technology in the show, but they are not even mentioned.

ZeroNumerous
2010-06-09, 05:16 PM
By this logic all series that lack the technology to have pacemakers are Kill'em All. Heck, all series where people die are Kill'em All.

Oh, yay, misplaced sarcasm. [/misplaced sarcasm][/metajoke]

The issue is intent. Turn-A(the suit, not the show) is designed to destroy all technology. Everything. Every single little bit. It's not about the absence thereof, but the intentional destruction of said technology which leads to those deaths.

Lacking the technology to make a pacemaker leading to someone's death is nothing you have control over. Setting out to destroy every single pacemaker currently in service is.

This leads to Turn-A(the show, not the suit) involving Fridge Logic genocide.

By that logic setting a movie in the 19th century means that you gleefully kill off characters since nutrition, sanitation and medical technology was much worse back then.

See above. Those deaths couldn't be prevented. Not using Turn-A(or X, for that matter) would have prevented numerous deaths.

I mean they are a consequence of the technology in the show, but they are not even mentioned.

Which makes it all the more hilarious.

Eldan
2010-06-09, 05:27 PM
What exactly does "technology" mean in this context? Windmills? Water Wheels? Bow and arrow? Pointed stick? Sharp rock? That's all technology.

ZeroNumerous
2010-06-09, 05:33 PM
What exactly does "technology" mean in this context? Windmills? Water Wheels? Bow and arrow? Pointed stick? Sharp rock? That's all technology.

It means all, as far as I can tell. Everything turns into sand via nanomachines.

Tengu_temp
2010-06-09, 05:34 PM
The issue is intent. Turn-A(the suit, not the show) is designed to destroy all technology. Everything. Every single little bit. It's not about the absence thereof, but the intentional destruction of said technology which leads to those deaths.

Lacking the technology to make a pacemaker leading to someone's death is nothing you have control over. Setting out to destroy every single pacemaker currently in service is.

This leads to Turn-A(the show, not the suit) involving Fridge Logic genocide.

Then all postapocalyptic shows that take place after the technology to make pacemakers is lost are Kill'em All? And all shows that had any other form of genocide in the past?

ZeroNumerous
2010-06-09, 05:40 PM
Then all postapocalyptic shows that take place after the technology to make pacemakers is lost are Kill'em All?

What.

"It's not about the absence thereof, but the intentional destruction of said technology which leads to those deaths." =/= "Not having the technology makes it genocide."

Losing the capacity to make something is only relevant when you've intentionally destroyed that capacity.

And all shows that had any other form of genocide in the past?

And this bit doesn't even make sense.

Tengu_temp
2010-06-09, 05:52 PM
How does intention matter here? Deaths are deaths. If a show has everyone die from a natural cataclysm, then it's Kill'em All too.

I fail to see any sense in your point. No genocides happen during the plot of Turn A Gundam, only in the backstory. Furthermore, very few named characters die, and killing most/all of the cast is an important prerequesite to Kill'em All.

TheThan
2010-06-09, 06:43 PM
Ok here’s a few more I don’t think have been mentioned:

Dragon ball: parody of a Chinese folk tale
Dragonball Z: action/comedy that’s over 9000!
Vandread: the battle of the sexes continues, in space!
Desert punk: desert dwelling mercenary for higher
Special duty combat unit shinesman: the greatest super sentai parody ever conceived
Fist of the north star: the year is 199X and the world is in shamble. Watch as your hero Kenshiro destroys nearly everyone in his path. Invented many of the troupes we are so familiar with, ripped clothing, battle auras, yelling named attacks, count down timers etc.
Street fighter II the Animated Movie: out right the best adaptation of the famous fighting game, go watch it now.
Witchblade: amine adaptation of a popular American comic book .

2010-06-09, 11:21 PM
my all time favorite anime would probably be the predictable
cowboy beebop
code geas

some of the good stuff ive seen recently
ergo proxy: post apocalyptic detective mind**** with a side of mind****ery in a triple order of concentrated mind**** sauce. more twists than lost; except they all make sense by the end. may include small* amounts of darkness induced audience apathy. can be a bit difficult to follow at times but its well done enough that it almost all makes sense later.
season one of darker than black: mild mind****ery with supervillians who need to get blind drunk after breaking the weather. im not sure what the title is supposed to refer to, the show is actually kinda goofy.

then again; im not exactly a big anime nerd, just the normal kind.

*start MAOIs before you start watching and do not watch if your prone to TV induced depression. this show gets really dark and you had better be watching on a bright screen. it absolutely loved it but seriously, it gets dark.

cattoy
2010-06-11, 04:10 AM
Start with Cowboy Bebop.

It's tailor made for americans, almost all of the episodes reference american music or pop culture. The dub voiceover work is high grade, but not as good as the original seiyuu. The soundtracks are awesome. Mushroom Samba may be my favorite single episode from any series of any TV show.

26 episodes, one movie (optional)

It's a great standalone story with little to no reliance on japanese cultural literacy.

horngeek
2010-06-11, 04:33 AM
Dragon ball: parody of a Chinese folk tale

Specifically, Journey to the West. Which is, apparently, a good read, with the main character of Xuanzang Sun Wukong (who Son Goku is based off in many ways).

Don't listen to the ones who tell you about Xuanzang. They're mistaken. :smalltongue:

mangosta71
2010-06-11, 10:45 AM
Turn-A(the suit, not the show) is designed to destroy all technology. Everything.

So, shouldn't the suit's first target be itself?

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-06-12, 12:09 PM
Start with Cowboy Bebop.

It's tailor made for americans, almost all of the episodes reference american music or pop culture. The dub voiceover work is high grade, but not as good as the original seiyuu. The soundtracks are awesome. Mushroom Samba may be my favorite single episode from any series of any TV show.

26 episodes, one movie (optional)

It's a great standalone story with little to no reliance on japanese cultural literacy.
This. Bebop is a great series to start with, and...it's a classic. My first anime was a few episodes of Bebop, actually.

KerfuffleMach2
2010-06-12, 09:49 PM
Okay. My list of great animated shows to watch.

Just going with TV shows here.

Inspector Gadget
Megas XLR
Cowboy Bebop
Witchblade
Full Metal Alchemist
Bleach
The Magic School Bus
Darkwing Duck
Wolverine and the X-Men
Ben 10
TaleSpin