PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Terms Etymology Needed

Eloi
2010-06-09, 03:33 AM
Can anyone tell me the etymologies of the following Homebrew terms:
->Cheese: That's like a template right? Why is it called 'cheese'?
->PEACH: What does that stand for/mean?
Thanks!

AustontheGreat1
2010-06-09, 03:53 AM
I know PEACH means "Please *Something, Edit maybe?* And Critique Honestly"

I asked the same question...

As for Cheese, I don't know if it has a Homebrew specific meaning, it just means it's tacky or generally in bad taste.

but don't take my word for it, wait for someone smarter to answer your question.

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-06-09, 03:56 AM
As I understand it, cheese is the smelly stuff that happens when you exploit the rules to win D&D. Cheese is so called because it is cheesy.

PEACH is Please Evaluate and Criticise Honestly/Helpfully (depending on who you ask).

Zeta Kai
2010-06-09, 06:44 AM
Can anyone tell me the etymologies of the following Homebrew terms:
->Cheese: That's like a template right? Why is it called 'cheese'?
->PEACH: What does that stand for/mean?
Thanks!

1) Cheese is exploitation of the RAW (rules-as-written) for a specific advantage, usually by twisting or ignoring the intent of the rules & focusing myopically on the literal meaning. Published material is full of typos, grammatical errors, poor wording, vague phrasing, which allows for interpretations of the rules that border on lunacy. Here are some examples of cheese, in various flavors:

Healing by deliberate self-drowning
Spamming Diplomacy, thereby making everyone you meet with an INT>2 your best friend, including gods & nemeses
Anything having to do with Sarrukhs
Incantatrix metamagic wackiness
Using the Hulking Hurler to throw planets around
Ur-Priest nigh-infinite stats
Druid wildshaped into a War Troll
Divine Metamagic + many, many Nightsticks
The Locate City Nuke

So, as you can see, if you are willing to abuse the rules (& often your fellow players) for fun & profit, you are being very cheesy. Cheese can be used for good or evil, but it is dangerous stuff regardless.

2) See if you can find the meanings for APRICOT & WATERMELON. They exist.

mrcarter11
2010-06-09, 11:40 AM
As a add-on, what about all the random nicknames for class uses. I know the batman is just a utility wizard. But I have no clue on the other one I always see, something about Codzilla.. I mean, are there more of these?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-06-09, 11:46 AM
As a add-on, what about all the random nicknames for class uses. I know the batman is just a utility wizard. But I have no clue on the other one I always see, something about Codzilla.. I mean, are there more of these?

CoDzilla (the correct capitalizaton) refers to "(Cleric or Druid)-Zilla;" the ability of Clerics and Druids to completely dominate the melee combat sphere of the game (if properly built). They become full-casting machines of violent, martial death, and can out-fight the Fighter, Barbarian, and even things like the Warblade (although that's slightly harder).

mrcarter11
2010-06-09, 12:58 PM
Well, I thank you for explaining that. Although, are there any other ones?

DragoonWraith
2010-06-09, 01:27 PM
There is a type of Bard referred to as the Joker to the Wizard's Batman, and another guide refers to the Wizard as GOD instead of Batman... Beyond that, there are things like Uberchargers and the Horizon Tripper, but those are the names of specific builds, rather than nicknames for classes. Really, so are Batman and CoDzilla...

Milskidasith
2010-06-09, 02:00 PM
Y'know, speaking of all of this, I once got a Druid//Psywar that had a Dire Tortoise animal companion... and I used Expansion, Claws of the Beast, and some other buffs on it...

Yes, I build a CoDzilla with Gamera as his companion. Sue me.

arguskos
2010-06-09, 02:03 PM
2) See if you can find the meanings for APRICOT & WATERMELON. They exist.
Waitwut? :smallconfused: I've never even SEEN those bandied about. What do they mean?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-06-09, 02:19 PM
Waitwut? :smallconfused: I've never even SEEN those bandied about. What do they mean?

I've seen those before, but they're really just people using strange acronyms in an attempt to draw more interest to their thread. They're not common enough to really merit learning.

arguskos
2010-06-09, 02:24 PM
I've seen those before, but they're really just people using strange acronyms in an attempt to draw more interest to their thread. They're not common enough to really merit learning.
Well, see, now I'm interested and I want to know. Anyone who creates a useable relevant acronym out of WATERMELON interests and amuses me.

Siosilvar
2010-06-09, 02:24 PM
APRICOT has been on two threads that I can remember. Haven't seen WATERMELON.

"Add, Please, Really Interesting Critiques On Topic". And it was three threads.

Fortuna
2010-06-09, 11:37 PM
Why
Are
The
Elven
Races
Made
Even
Less
Overpowered
Now?

This.

mrcarter11
2010-06-10, 01:13 AM
Wait, can someone give more info on the Joker build.. I dislike bards, but now they sound entertaining..

BLiZme.2
2010-06-10, 01:51 AM
Tecnicaly Batman and CoDzila are not builds but whole families of builds or philosophies for builds.

PersonMan
2010-06-10, 02:32 AM
Well, see, now I'm interested and I want to know. Anyone who creates a useable relevant acronym out of WATERMELON interests and amuses me.

When I was younger, I mispronounced pneumonia and made an acronym out of it. I still have it somewhere, I think...

Perfectly
Never-
Ending
Undermining
Masculine
Obsolete
Nnarcissistic
Internal
Ants

Bam.

Although, if I were making a gaming-related WATERMELON...
What
Are
The
Endless
Rule
Makers
Endeavering to
Link
Onto us
Now?

Not my best work, but it sort of works.