PDA

View Full Version : The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

Phasm
2006-09-20, 11:13 AM
Lissa

Although she looks a bit sick at the carnage for a moment, Lissa covers the expression well. She shrugs at Delphinia's question, directing her lights to circle the clearing slowly. "You're the ranger here, Delphinia. I don't know much about wilderness and animals, so I'm willing to follow your lead." Lissa looks up at Callos and way up at giant Tiriel. "What do you two think?"

Callos_DeTerran
2006-09-20, 04:31 PM
Callos

"As much as I hate to say it. And I really hate to say it, I think we should be able to follow the paw prints. If whatever killed the wolf was being friendly towards us and consiously knew what it was doing that means it knows these woods and also can guide us out even faster."

What had killed the wolf and was it even that? The clinical necromancer bent down on one knee to peer at the wounds that took the creatures life. Perhaps it hadn't been an animal per say but instead a savage humaniod who walked on two legs.

(Going to try and determine if the wolf is a wolf and if so then what killed it. Like what kind of weapon or natural weapon it is.))

kuja.girl
2006-09-20, 11:07 PM
Tiriel who is very large for at least a few more seconds out of battle

Tiriel shrugs, then realizes that between the dark and her large size, it's doubtful that anyone saw the movement. She says, "I'll go with whatever everyone else wants to do, but I think we should at least check-in at camp before we go further into the forest."

dauphinous
2006-09-21, 12:41 PM
Delphinia

Dammit. If only life were as simple as 'anything the wizard says is a crock'.

"You've got a point," Delphinia says to Callos. She lowers her bow and jumps back down off Gladi's back, then takes a knee to get a good look at both the carcass and the prints.

{knowledge(nature) +10, survival +11
Edit: +2 to the survival check for tracking if it's a magical beast}

Dr._Bob
2006-09-21, 02:29 PM
Kiah judges that the others are roughly a quarter mile to the north-north-east in the forest. She can sense that they are uninjured for now.

While most of you immediately start to break camp and load up the wagons, the lizardman seems to be getting increasingly agitated. He seems to want the party to head in the opposite direction. The more frustrated he gets, the fewer words he uses until he is simply gesturing frantically away from the woods.

[hr]
Callos and Delphinia kneel by the "wolf". The creature seems to be an unusually large specimen. The frank disembowling appears to have been caused by a set of razor sharp claws, not any kind of man-made weapon. Delphinia points to a set of neat puncture marks at the base of the wolf's spine.

The tracks lead off to the east. The paw prints appear to be those of a large cat. No claw marks are visible.

Lissa keeps watch, growing increasingly uneasy. The woods seem to be almost unnaturally silent. In the distance, a twig snaps ...

dauphinous
2006-09-21, 03:00 PM
Delphinia

Oh, hell.

Whispering to Callos, as he is closest, "We should move. Back towards the camp. I don't want to get caught standing still." She stands back up and gets her bow ready again without lifting it.

Lost Sage
2006-09-21, 08:09 PM
Kiah

Kiah moves through the camp as quickly as possible.

"Theys a quarter mile that way. At the rate worgs move they could be dead 'for we get there." As she's talking Kiah grabs her bedroll and unceremoniously stuffs it in her backpack. "I think we have to leave the wagons, they'll take too long to harness up."

"Achkby? what'da'ya'say about putting another one of them lights up in the sky above us. Do you think they would see it and head back?"

Catching sight of the lizardkin, she pauses what's he doing now? damned if I know but he's going the wrong way. Moving to stop dead still in front of the lizardkin she glares up at him, trying by sheer force of will to get him to stop and look her in the eye. Then she points in the direction the others are.

"Packmates!"

kariokie
2006-09-21, 08:28 PM
Nyssa

"I'll send Orestes. Hopefully his presence will let them know we're looking for them." If any of them has even taken the time to notice him before. "We either split up and some of us move to assist them, or we'll be too late. Dividing our numbers, however, seems dangerous."

She calls Orestes down to her. Find them. Lead them back. Don't let them wander off, she tells Orestes in the private language they share. Nyssa strikes a sunrod, puts it in the claws of her owl, and sends him off in the direction Kiah indicated.

{Orestes has a strength of 4. Who knew!}

HempRope
2006-09-21, 09:32 PM
Strong owl!

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

"I can only conjure so many a day," he replies, "I'll wait a minute. THey're too far away to see much now, anyways."

He is hurriedly repacking, his glowing stone on the ground before him.

Phasm
2006-09-22, 12:14 AM
Lissa

A twig snaps in the too-silent night, and Lissa jumps about a foot in the air. She nods jerkily at Delphinia's whisper, taking a deep breath. "Camp sounds good. Real good. Lead the way, I'll be right behind you," Lissa whispers back. Clutching her crossbow just a little too tightly, Lissa silently gives thanks for the fact that she's wearing gloves. It wouldn't do to have sweaty hands slip on her weapon.

Ludo
2006-09-22, 01:52 AM
Nolan

At the suggestion of leaving the carts behind, Nolan retrieves his and Nyssa's belongings before following the others.

Spaz
2006-09-22, 10:43 AM
Yix

Looking slightly annoyed a having to move from the spot he had just made for himself, Yix hops off the carts. He scurries after the rest of the group, hoping to catch up before they leave him behind.

sacreddeamon
2006-09-22, 05:10 PM
[bThokk[/b]

"Ach, Scaley! We need to protect the clan! The wee ones are over there, and those beasties arent natural, lets rid them from this land."

*Thokk grabs all his gear, suits up, and starts heading towrds the lost ones*

bhdrake
2006-09-22, 05:58 PM
Lumpy

Gathering up the essentials, Lumpy sets off in the indicated direction, towards the seperated group. He leads his warhorse along behind him, but leaves his saddle behind with the carts; the beast might be useful, but it's tack wasn't, as he couldn't fight mounted anyway. The lizardman was also cause for little concern, they could sort out just what had him rattled AFTER they were all grouped up and safely back at the campsite. If they made it that far.

"Keep it orderly. There'll be a helluava lotta them, so soft folk in the middle. If we get surrounded, won't be much room fer maneuvers."

Zeal
2006-09-22, 06:43 PM
Hajih

Hajih, still slightly asleep, and definitely not talkative, goes to the reins of his cart.

His wolf paces around impatiently, growling quietly at the worgs.

Hajih lays his weapons down beside him and takes a drink from his flask.

Yoric_Steele
2006-09-22, 07:35 PM
Trinark

Still somewhat unsure of the overall situation, Trinark moves off after the Lizardkin Druid. If there was some enemy to be faced this night, he planned to face it alongside his friend.

runehawk
2006-09-23, 03:20 AM
Lizardkin Druid

Originally intent on moving them to rock-strewn higher ground for defensive poistion, he realises that the whole lot were more interested in charging off to find the others.

While he certainly wasn't in favour of abandoning flamesword or sunhair, he knew charging blindly into the night, into ground that predators were familiar with was a foolish effort.

He looks frustrated at not being express these thoughts.

He changes his motion and now waves them TO the trees
"Wait! No run anywhere. Not know where they are. I find them. Wait"

To trinark,
"We must not run blind in the dark. Better to move in forest for protection"

Focusing on his earlier spell, he now concentrates on the riding dogs on of the others rode off on earlier, sweeping the spell in all directions.

Erikkin
2006-09-23, 08:49 AM
Fizahn:

Fizahn follows the others. He offers no complaints to their course of actions. He keeps his crossbow at the ready and casts a wary eye about. He stops at the carts to grab his pack and produce his everburning torch. He puts his crossbow away so he can keep his torch out along with his dagger. "Be at peace Druid, Kiah knows where our packmates are. She cast some spell upon them earlier that tracks their position, or something." He takes his spot within the group. "Lead us to them Kiah."

Lost Sage
2006-09-23, 11:36 AM
Kiah

Kiah shoulders her pack and looks around to see if everything is in order. If she sees unattended stuff on the ground (Delphinia, Lissa and Callos - I think Tiriel took hers) she will ask anyone next to her to help take it - she can't carry much herself.

Then she takes her place near the center of the group and turns to Lumpy:

"Ready"

Ludo
2006-09-23, 11:58 AM
Nolan

Nolan will assist Kiah if she needs it. He will then position himself at the outside edge of the group to the left or right, making sure that Nyssa is within sight and in the middle.

HempRope
2006-09-23, 12:03 PM

Achkby, atop his pony somewhere near the center of the group, holds his lit stone high with one hand.

"Hurry, Druid," he urges, "We know already where we're going."

Dr._Bob
2006-09-23, 01:14 PM
Orestes launches into the air, the illuminated sunrod clenched tightly in his claws. You watch him recede into the distance, until he dives into the forest and you can no longer see his light.

The lizardman gives up trying to urge the party to safety. Instead he joins the group as it hastily packs up and dons armor.

Any extra gear left behind is placed in the wagons for safety by Kiah and Elthan (who has been watching the chaotic events without comment).

As quickly as possible, the party heads in the direction indicated by Kiah on foot. The worgs have a significant head start and no sign of them can be seen, even in the full moonlight.

Kiah adjusts the group's heading slightly. "They are on the move ..."

You realize, with a sinking feeling, that there is almost no way you will reach your friends before the worgs do.

[hr]
The woods are extremely quiet. Too quiet really.

Suddenly, a bright light crashes down to the forest floor, like a comet. Tiriel is about to swat the light with her sword when she recognizes Nyssa's owl. The owl is holding a lit sunrod.

If the owl is surprised by Tiriel's newly enlarged form, he does not show it. Instead, he flaps his wings and moves toward the outer edge of the forest.

The four of you can see that the owl is trying to lead you out of the forest. You follow the bobbing light as quickly as possible. Tiriel occasionally bumps her head on bare tree branches as she tries to get used to her new height.

kariokie
2006-09-23, 02:35 PM
Nyssa

Nyssa stays in the middle of the group as they move. She gathers her robes and cloaks with one hand, trying to keep up with those who are more sure-footed in the woods.

Concentrating for a second, she says, "I believe Orestes has found them. He... he doesn't feel alarmed, so I don't think they're in danger yet."

dauphinous
2006-09-23, 02:56 PM
Delphinia

Delphinia scowls as she sees the bright light. Owl. That Nyssa girl. What, they think we can't find our own damn way out? And might as well put up a bonfire and a sign saying 'here we are, come and get it!'. She follows along without comment.

kuja.girl
2006-09-23, 09:09 PM
Tiriel

Stupid bloody trees.

ooc: funny thing, I was going to write something similar in my next post about Tiriel's height and trees, but ya beat me to it Dr.Bob.
Since Tiriel is becoming so well aquanited with said trees, what kind are they? Are the tree limbs/braches a decent size? Are the branches low to the ground? Well you get my idea I think.

Ludo
2006-09-24, 12:17 AM
Nolan

Watching Orestes silently take off into the darkness, Nolan asks off-handedly, "Ever had owl, Yix?"

Phasm
2006-09-24, 12:42 AM
Lissa

"Well, nice to know they were worried about us, but I don't see why they couldn't have just sent the owl and not the light..." Shrugging, Lissa remounts Cloudy and dismisses her magical lights with a flick of her fingers. Now more than ever she's grateful to have the riding dog along; it's always hard for gnomes and halflings on foot to keep up with tall-folk in a hurry. She rides after Orestes, keeping wary eyes and ears open for any sign of danger.

Spaz
2006-09-24, 01:55 AM
Yix

Yix looks up broken from his recents thoughts, mainly dwelling on keeping up with the group and not becoming wolf-food, "Is it anything like chicken?" Yix asks licking his lips slightly.

Dr._Bob
2006-09-24, 03:11 PM
In the forest ...

The four of you can hear movement to your left and to your right. Whoever they are, they are keeping out of sight. Tiriel's height gives her a slightly better view, but all she can make out are low shadowy forms moving off to the side, in the opposite direction from where you are heading.

She notes that the bare branches might be climbable for the smaller members of her group. She could probably give Lissa and Delphina and their dogs a boost up into the higher branches with her bare hands if she wanted to.

[hr]
The main party ...

You hustle towards the forest, directed by Kiah's link to your missing party members, making quick progress.

Just when you are about to enter the forest, however, you see that the worgs have left a welcoming committee behind.

You can make out at least a dozen pairs of red eyes glowing in the underbrush. A growled challenge is issued. "Our quarrel is not with you. Turn back and go in peace. Advance and we will rip your throats out."

kariokie
2006-09-24, 03:30 PM
Nyssa

"If you hunt the members of our group, then your quarrel is with us." It's a simple fact to her, and she says it without considering that her fellows might feel otherwise. "However, perhaps there is a better way to solve this than violence. Allow our friends to rejoin us, and we can make reparations. Is there anything you desire more than revenge?"

What on earth would a worg want? Horses to eat?

Ludo
2006-09-24, 03:35 PM
Nolan

The darkness does much to conceal the rolling of Nolan's eyes but little to stifle his groan.

Yes, let's reason with evil sentient wolves. Nyssa the negotiator, the worg whisperer. Gods!

He braces himself for the inevitable.

Dr._Bob
2006-09-24, 06:37 PM
The alpha worg's voice is clear, though you can not tell exactly where it is coming from.

"Unprovoked, your wizard attacked a young member of my pack. Her wounds will heal, but our laws are clear - an eye for an eye, a fang for a fang.

"Hand over your wizard. The rest of you may go."

Erikkin
2006-09-24, 06:54 PM
Fizahn:

Fizahn shrugs. "May I just point out he didn't kill her? As far as I'm concerned, you can beat him to within an inch of his life and we'll take him then and leave." Fizahn turns back and addresses the party. "I say we let them rough him up. I don't want to get involved in this. It's Callos's own fault. He did attack unprovoked. As long as they don't kill him, I got no problems." Fizahn turns his attention towards Nyssa and begins advancing on her. His voice becomes slightly threatening and just a bit angry. "You talk about them hunting one of our party and their quarrel being with us? Callos hurt one of their party so his quarrel is with them! Think about these things before you get me killed. They're in the right. Would you have stood up for Callos even if he had blasted a human, elf, or other form of gnome-oid? Please take time to reevaluate your position on this." Fizahn finishes talking and gives a cheerful grin that contradicts his previous tone. Once more, he turns his attention to the worg.

HempRope
2006-09-24, 08:21 PM

As much as I hate to agree with that gnome, if all they want to do is wound him...

bhdrake
2006-09-24, 08:30 PM
Lumpy

Tipping his polearm far forewards, Lumpy braces his weight against the weapon's butt, taking a moment's rest. he snorts softly, seeming unconcerned if the worgs hear him or not

"Small chance'a that. I ain't got a doubt they mean ta kill him. Worgs ain't exactly evenhanded."

Erikkin
2006-09-24, 09:09 PM
Fizahn:

Fizahn frowns at Lumpy's comment. "Okay, Nyssa, you can try talking them out of killing him, but don't think they'll let him go unscathed." He turns to Lumpy and grins. "Well then, Lumpy," he whispers to the dour half-orc. "Better him than me."

Ludo
2006-09-24, 09:19 PM
Nolan

"You won't go unscathed either if you speak to my sister in that tone of voice again, little gnome," Nolan says firmly.

Erikkin
2006-09-24, 09:22 PM
Fizahn:

"And none of us will go unscathed if she continues speaking to the worgs like she is." Fizahn mentions to Nolan in an offhand comment.

kariokie
2006-09-24, 09:24 PM
Nyssa

She smiles at her brother's defense, but she's hardly upset at Fizhan's words.

"Fizhan, you have a valid point. Of course I mean no disrespect for the worgs or the harm one of ours has done to one of theirs." Nyssa does her best to use her personality to appeal to the worgs, but has no idea how she comes across. Maybe someone will jump in. Or maybe it's pointless to talk. I have no idea.

She looks towards the worgs. "However, I know the winter must be harsh, and your packmate is injured. Perhaps one of ours could heal her? And possibly a gift to show our regret at the wrong that was done? A fight between us is senseless, it weakens us both, and both groups need to stay strong."

Lost Sage
2006-09-24, 09:25 PM
Kiah
Kiah puts her hand on Nyssa's arm and whispers "Do you mind if I try? I think we are all willing to let this happen if he's not permanently damaged and if we can be sure of it."

(EDIT: Opps, Nyssa got in front of me. Kiah'll wait to hear what the alpha worg says.)

kariokie
2006-09-24, 09:26 PM
Nyssa

Nyssa nods to Kiah. "Take it away, I'm out of my league," she says quietly.

King_of_GRiffins
2006-09-24, 10:02 PM
Elthan

Elthan looks nervous as the group attempts to negotiate with the worgs. Any minute now, the worgs are just going to get fed up and attack, or by the time we settle to something Callos will already be dead.

Or beat to an inch of his life. We'll find that out soon enough.

"I'd just like to say, for the record, I got a bad feeling about this."

(OOC: Elthan will Ready an Action to cast Slow should the worgs decide to attack. He doesn't do anything until then.)

Frojoe21
2006-09-25, 01:28 AM
Aeroz

After a bout of silence, Aeroz finally pipes up.

"One of the main problems with the "eye for an eye, fang for a fang" philosophy is that in the end, everybody ends up blind and hungry. Instead of brutally mauling our esteemed wizard companion, perhaps he can just perform a service that will offset his "crime", as you put it."

His eyes shift back and forth as he tries to figure out how many worgs are present, and how many could possibly be taken out if the situation were to end up in armed (or clawed) conflict. Despite the tense situation, he seems to take up a relaxed stance.

[ooc: Readying to feint one of the worgs if it comes within striking distance of Aeroz in a threatening manner. Bluff +10]

Phasm
2006-09-25, 11:20 AM
Lissa

Ever the cat-burglar, Lissa notes a broad oak branch within Tiriel's reach. A very inviting branch, given the howls coming their way. "Psst, Tiriel! Can you give me a boost up there?" She points. "Be nice if Cloudy could come too, but I've no idea how he would hang on." Lissa holds out her arms to giant Tiriel, looking like nothing so much as a child wanting mommy to pick her up. If they weren't in deadly danger, it would be funny.

dauphinous
2006-09-25, 12:21 PM
Delphinia

She notes the gnome's words. I guess if this is going to happen here, that's as good an idea as any. "That's a good idea. I'm no good up close and personal. Can you get me up there too? Gladi'll fight if she has to."

sacreddeamon
2006-09-25, 12:37 PM
Thokk

"Ach beast, the others be right. This hardly be a good use of yer pack, lets sort somethin out that wont be the end of both of us. And forgvie me calling yer 'beast' if ya have a more personal name or title that would be acceptable."

*Thokk stays where he is, though he lowers his sword slightly. His shield remains firmly in place*

OOC: Alpha designated as dodge partner

runehawk
2006-09-25, 12:54 PM
LizardKin Druid

Ssathiya stood silently beside Fizahn and Thokk, exchanging glances with Trinark. The reassuring glances on his dark calm face did more to soothe the agitated reptilian more than he might have realised.

Despite his position in the tribe, he was never a social creature, his old master had remained concerned with his reticence until he'd shown up with Tcha one day.

Fizahn, Thokk & Elthan were the only living individuals, lizardkin or not that'd known him the longest. Remembering seeing Thokk die once he mutters in low voice but one which the dwarf would hear,
"This is no hunt. We must not kill with..out cause"

Sentient races and the simpler beasts of the wild were a dichotomy to the simplistic druid. The wargs were an unencountered amalgam he did know how to respond to. The newcomers seemed to be able to engage them.

He stood claws at the ready with his neck spines erect.

kuja.girl
2006-09-25, 01:47 PM
Tiriel
"Good idea. I was thinking along the same line. Hopefully the owl here can tell them where we are if there is trouble."
Tiriel carefully lifts Lissa and Delphina into one of the sturdier looking trees (without extremly low branches). She then lifts the dogs up to join their owners.*

With the task at hand done, turns to the wizard and asks, "Callos, how much time before this spell runs out?

ooc:
*the dogs could wedge themselves into a fork between 2 large branches etc... I'm more worried about how we're going to get them down.

Zeal
2006-09-25, 02:40 PM
Hajih

Hajih stares down the worgs, his wolf adding a vicious snarl.

"This is going nowhere..." He says quietly, his tone matching the wolf's growl.

Yoric_Steele
2006-09-25, 06:42 PM
Trinark

Trinark had witnessed standoffs like this before, or at least similar to this. When slavers both layed claim to a group of individuals they would often bicker back and forth. Neither side gained the advantage, it was all a bluffing game to bully the other side into backing down. This spectacle looked remarkably similar.

After one of the comments about Callos being thrashed and yet not killed... And its me who they're gonna want to patch up the poor idiot.

Trinark continued to watch, sparing glances around the group and in particular at the Druid. He still looked very agitated...

Callos_DeTerran
2006-09-26, 01:56 AM
Callos

"Well if you can give me an accurate rating of how much time has passed since I first cast them down to the seconds then I will be more then happy to tell you. If you can't...well...they should last roughly six minutes."

Callos replied his eyes focusing in one the shadows that he could see all the while looking up the owl then to his companions. A plan was beginning to formulate in his mind when suddenly he sneezed.

Huh. They say you only sneeze when someones making decisions for you without your consent. Nah, I don't know anyone who would do that....okay I know at least one but he's kinda far far away.

Anyway its time to do some constructive work and pray that it works.

"Bird! You, owl! Tell your mistress to bring our supplies to this exact spot if their able within...well they have some time. We won't be here when they arrive however so make sure they know that! Now, do any of you ladies have any rope? If so I can crat a much safer area in which to take refuge until the cavalry comes charging in."

kuja.girl
2006-09-26, 11:52 AM
Tiriel

"No. It's back at camp. What are you planning now wizard?" Tiriel asks Callos in a serious tone.

this is ridiculous. i could get us all back to camp ... well maybe not the dogs... crap. they'll never leave without their dogs. how far away are we anyhow? hey wait a second, are we going in the right direction?!?

"Hey, does anyone know if we're heading in the right direction?

Phasm
2006-09-26, 12:16 PM
Lissa

"Yeah, sure." Nonchalantly gripping the tree branch with her legs, Lissa sticks a hand into her haversack. Dimensional storage space, magic's great gift to gnomekind! She pulls out a coil of hemp rope and tosses it down at Callos. The rope is a little shorter than the 50' standard, but not by too much. "There you go. What have you got in mind?" Now that she's well above the reach of most animals, Lissa looks much calmer and more confident. The gnome keeps a wary eye out for danger, though.

OOC: Handy haversack FTW!

dauphinous
2006-09-26, 12:27 PM
Delphinia

"Yes, that way. She points definitively, with no sign of pause. She puts out a hand to ruffle Gladi's fur, hoping that the dog stays calm. Dogs don't belong in trees... Then she nocks the arrow to her bow one more time and waits.

Dr._Bob
2006-09-27, 08:04 AM
In the forest ...

With her companions and the two dogs perched safely (if uncomfortably) in a large tree, Tiriel stands with her back to the trunk, her (now) enormous flaming sword held ready.

Lissa and Callos busy themselves with a rope, while Delphinia and Tiriel peer into the darkness. Faint rustling can be heard from all around, and light reflected from Tiriel's sword can be seen from at least a dozen sets of eyes, peering at you from a safe distance. The eyes are all around you. You are surrounded, though the (presumed) wolves keep their distance.

[hr]
At the forest's edge ...

"They've stopped moving," whispers Kiah. "Our people, that is."

There is a lull, while your group and the worgs face off in a stalemate. They seem as reluctant to engage you in head-to-head battle as you are. Surely there would be significant casualties on both sides if a general melee ensues.

There is a disturbance in the forest, and for a moment, several of the glowing eyes turn away to glance at the return of a pair of worg scouts.

You can hear several short barks and general growling as the scouts' message is spread to the entire group of worgs, then all eyes are once again fixed on your party.

The alpha worg steps forward, but keeps out of easy bowshot.

"We have found the wizard. He is attempting to hide in a tree ... like a squirrel.

"We have also found the remains of one of our scouts, slain by your shadow cat.

"The situation has changed. The Law now requires a life for a life. Choose a champion, and we will settle this blood debt."

Lost Sage
2006-09-27, 09:38 AM
Kiah

Kiah looks shocked at news that a worg has died from the claws of the shadow cat. Katrine I'd bet! That's torn it! I wonder if she is even aware of her actions? We need some time to work this out, without the prying eyes and ears of worgs...

Kiah looks over at Nyssa and sees her also shocked at the new news. Taking the initiative, Kiah steps forward and speaks in a clear, concerned tone

"This is very serious news to us. For the wizard it was simple, we all saw him and heard his arrogant excuses. This is a different matter and much more serious."

"You must give us time to look into this, and to talk with the shadow cat to see how this happened. We also need to see the body. Then we can consider this idea of a champion. We will need until noon today to go though these things."

HempRope
2006-09-27, 09:41 AM

Thokk.

Frojoe21
2006-09-27, 10:19 AM
Aeroz

"Yeah, that's our Callos. He has a thing for height...what?" Aeroz speaks, followed by a long stream of elven profanities.

Spaz
2006-09-27, 10:41 AM
Yix

"Champion? Yix thinks outloud, he ponders this for awhile, as he absentmindedly flexes his tiny muscles.

bhdrake
2006-09-27, 11:48 AM
Lumpy

The burly orc tips his guisarme upwards to vertical, leaving it to stick there in the snow.

"No, this is better. Gives us a chance to settle things real easy. There ain't much reasoning with these tribal codes or whatever" A gnarled hand slips to his belt, unlooping the more familair form of his flail, "But this sort'a thing is more up my alley. This I can handle."

HempRope
2006-09-27, 12:23 PM

With growing apprehension, Achkby watches Lumpy readying himself for single combat.

I think Thokk should go...

Hmm... It might be harder for us to pick a 'champion' among ourselves than to settle this with the Worgs. Maybe we can challenge them to two duel, one for each offense, and Lumpy and Thokk can each fight one...

sacreddeamon
2006-09-27, 02:37 PM
Thokk

"Ach, Half-breed, settle down. Ill take this. Yer still have things in life that need to get done. Fer me, its a tad different."

*To the Worg*

"Ill be the champion, and the rites shall be observed. What is needed, and will I have proper time to prepare?"

"Soul-father protect me and the honor of the clan"

runehawk
2006-09-27, 03:54 PM
Lizardkin Druid

The moment the dwarf speaks up, he feels a clawed hand come to rest firmly on his shoulder.

"No."

He pauses before continuing,
" I will not watch you die again."

The ornery dwarf turns to see a determined expression on the reptilian as he strides forward.

"Keeping this pack as one is my place"

"You are all brave warriors and all of you are needed for the hunt of sethra. Find the others and leave. this is the path before you. Go.... now."

He moves forward.
"Come then", he yells out to the alpha male.

HempRope
2006-09-27, 04:50 PM

Godsdamn it.

"No, Druid! Let Thokk fight this fight. He can survive, surely, and we can all move on."

"Thokk, can we enhance you?"

Lost Sage
2006-09-27, 05:09 PM
Kiah

damn it... what the...

"Hold it everybody!"

"We don't know anything yet." Kiah says crossly "We don't know the rules, we don't know what will happen if the champion wins, OR if they lose. We don't even know what happened out there until we can talk to the rest of them. So before you go get your macho self-images in a knot let's sit down and figure this out like sentient beings. All we need now is some random attacks that get us into further trouble. Or have you forgotten that's how this all got started?"

males!

Kiah is vexed.

King_of_GRiffins
2006-09-27, 05:32 PM
Elthan

Elthan cast a spell in the back, making him glow slightly as he walks to the front. He has two potions in one hand, and a spear in the other. "Thokk, Druid, everyone. Let me handle this one, please. I've felt completely useless since we left the underdark, and I want to make that up. I know I can handle this, I've thought this through."

He turns away from the group and to the worgs, "I'll be the champion, but as Kiah pointed out, I would like to be aware of all rules before I begin. I am commited whatever the rules are."

(OOC: Elthan cast Mage Armor and is prepared to swig either Eagles Splendor or Shield of Faith +2 at the first sign of action. If possible, he'll swig one while the details are said, and the other once hostilities begin, if he is allowed by the others to fight. Elthan's been in the back too long, and needs some action.)

kariokie
2006-09-27, 05:38 PM
Nyssa

Nyssa smiles a little. She can't help it, the situation is absurd. People climbing over each other to fight a talking wolf because a cat-person had killed another talking wolf while it was probably planning to eat their wizard that had electrocuted another talking wolf.

And then she nods in agreement with Kiah. "Kiah is correct. Find out the rules before you engage, and the consequences of losing -- it might be worse than a direct engagement. What if you have to fight on all fours, unarmed and unarmoured, to make it even?" Though I suppose the lizardkin might win that fight.

HempRope
2006-09-27, 06:46 PM

As Elthan steps forward, Achkby turns from motioning at the Druid to stare.

"What?" he shouts incredulously.

sacreddeamon
2006-09-27, 07:05 PM
Thokk

*Feeling the hand on his shoulder, Thokk is completely stopped short and a bit taken back what the lizardman says*

"Ach, lad, this be my place. I am protectin the honor of our group, our clan, our tribe. That is... was my sole purpose, and ill be damned if I don't smite them like the hammer itself"

Erikkin
2006-09-27, 09:00 PM
Fizahn:

Fizahn watches everyone offer to fight the challenge with a slight grin on his face. "Very well! I wil fight the challenger!" Fizahn's voice is slightly sarcastic and he looks to be holding back laughter. "Can noone in this group decide on anything? I'm all for letting you fight him. It's your place in the group, just like you said."

sacreddeamon
2006-09-27, 11:18 PM
Thokk

"Lad, this is NOT the time for joking around. I'm partially protecting yer honor as well."

Ludo
2006-09-28, 12:10 AM
Nolan

This is going nowhere fast.

Nolan's first inclination was to meet the challenge and champion the group but the ensuing debate about who or what that champion was to be prevents him from getting further involved. He waits, impassively watching the worgs and hoping this would all get resolved soon.

Suddenly a thought occurs to him, What shadowcat?

Frojoe21
2006-09-28, 12:25 AM
Aeroz

"Listen, if this thing has to end in fighting, Thokk? Edgar? Eltha...Fizhan? Just swat the damn thing and get it over with."

Aeroz flicks the ground with his sword in the usual fashion to demonstrate his impatience.

"If we are going to be voting, I'll just say Thokk then. He's proven in the past that even the gods of death don't want to put up with him, so my bet is he is going to be safe. But please, before I drop dead of old age, are we going to fight, or no?"

Erikkin
2006-09-28, 06:47 AM
Fizahn:

"I'm sorry Thokk. I just find it odd that everyone wants to fight when you're obviously the best choice. Also, my honor isn't the one that lightning bolted a worg and got us into the original situation. My honor isn't the one that killed another worg and got us into the duel. I'm still debating wether worgs deserve my honor too."

Dr._Bob
2006-09-28, 07:41 AM
The alpha worg sits back on his haunches and yawns. Behind him, the worgs hidden in the forest begin to howl.

[hr]
Tiriel keeps her back to the tree containing her companions. The "wolves" appear to be keeping their distance, but they clearly want to keep you contained. They seem content to sit and wait for now.

In the distance, a chorus of howls fills the air. Soon, the "wolves" surrounding the tree begin to howl as well. The riding dogs in the tree shiver uncomfortably as though suppressing a desire to join in the howling as well.

Tiriel's limbs begin to feel a little heavy, and it seems to her that the ground is a little closer than it had been. Callos' magic is beginning to wear off ...

runehawk
2006-09-28, 08:22 AM
Lizardkin Druid

The lizard fixes his gaze out the outspoken Kiah and gives a snort with a crinkling of his large green nostrils. Evidently, he doesn't think much of her notion to investigate the terms of the duel.

Perhaps the unspoken rules were sufficient for him.

He nods to Thokk and the way he lids his eyes and softens his features convey the regard he has for the old dwarf. The bowing of his head showing the respect for the dwarf and his words.

"Sheyra needs you...I can protect our ...honor

How noble of Voice-of-Thunder!
His eyes fix on the alpha male.

This is not about honour...It is about the old Law...blood for blood.. life for life

He utters, "Magic is what brought us down this path, it will not guide us out" loudly for Elthan's benefit.

He nods to Fizahn and locks eyes with Trinark one last time. For a final look of understanding before fixing his eyes on his opponents.

"No more talk", he says with an air of finality.

kuja.girl
2006-09-28, 12:49 PM
Tiriel

oh hell. I guess I'd better join them.

Tiriel will grab onto one of the higher branches that she can reach and wait for the spell to wear off. When it does, she'll pull herself up onto the branch.

"Well, we can either stay up here until these hell-wolfs leave, or until help shows up, or we can go find out what's going on back at the camp. What's the vote?

Lost Sage
2006-09-28, 01:08 PM
Kiah

Kiah shrugs wirily to herself. With a glance at Nyssa and a roll of her eyes she sets herself for a long wait.

if this where less tense, i would pull up a chair and enjoy it. the worgs just need to say a few words, and we are too busy bickering to pay attention to them.

She checks on the other 4. Who have not moved.
(OOC: how far are they away now?)

might as well watch the worgs. i might catch a change in their attitude.

(OOC: Kiah will watch the Worgs continually doing sense motive (+4), looking for current motives and changes)

Callos_DeTerran
2006-09-28, 01:16 PM
Callos

"As much as I would love to get back to my belongings I don't think the wolves are just going to let us go. And from persanol expierence I also do not believe that everyone present is actually ready to go and fight a bunch of wolves. My vote is to stay here until they leave. Is there anyone present who knows what or who killed the wolf? Or how to contact it?"

Callos sat a little bit uneasily on the tree branch, his eyes closed as his fingers gripped the branch tightly. The necromancer was careful not to make any movements that might upset his balance so it looked alot like he was paralyzed. Didn't help he was hyperventiliating.

((Fixed. Thanks kuja.))

dauphinous
2006-09-28, 01:24 PM
Delphinia

"Not a damn clue. And I get the feeling that there's a lot more of them than there are of us. Somehow, I think they might be able to shake us loose if we just started shooting them. On top of which, we can't even rightly see them."

kariokie
2006-09-28, 01:30 PM
Nyssa

Nyssa rolls her eyes back at Kiah, and can't help another small smile. At least my brother isn't marching in this macho 'I can beat up a worg better than you can' parade. She side-steps to stand closer to Kiah and whispers, "If I was the worgs, I would just attack us rather than listen to this."

bhdrake
2006-09-28, 02:13 PM
Lumpy

Lumpy simply shrugs, taking the implications that Thokk is a more suitable champion than himself in stride,

"Whatever. Whoever does it, just don't screw up."

King_of_GRiffins
2006-09-28, 06:32 PM
Elthan

Elthan walks over and stands in front of the Lizard. "Druid, there is nothing magical that I can do to win a fight. I will still have to fight, like anyone else, hand to hand, weapon to weapon, in order to win."
"I have never finished a fight, not with magic or anything esle. I've never done so for the group, always watching from the back as they deliver the final blow and count thier kills. I've done enough watching, I want to do something important for the group. I'm ready to step up from the back. Please Druid, let me have this chance."

sacreddeamon
2006-09-28, 06:59 PM
Thokk

*Thokk watches, torn, as Elthan and the Druid both try to take the spot of champion, knowing they each have their own reasons. The lizard, for protecting him and the group as the whole, and the remaining Elthan, trying to prove his own worth*

"Ach, Scaley one, that means a lot to me. But simply, this is what I have always done, and what I shall always do. If I get in trouble, I excpet yer to come and fetch me out, aye?"

*Turning to Elthan*

"Lad, we know you are there. Ye dont need to kill something to help. This isnt the place for you, play yer strenghts elsewhere. For this fight, I fight for us all. If ye can cast something to protect me, ye are helping in your own way, and thats all I can ask, lad"

*To the Alpha Worg*

"Ach, I asked ye once beastie, what are the rules of the engagement? Fer all yer talk of honor, you havnt dont the lest to explain how this honor fight shall be worked out."

kuja.girl
2006-09-28, 11:10 PM
Tiriel

Tiriel is puzzled by the reactions of Callos of Delphina; neither really seems comfortable in the tree, but both of them seem to want to stay. As Delphina finishes, Tiriel says "Oh I can fix that if you, I mean we, need to see them.
And how would we know anything about the cat?

Unlike Callos, Tiriel is completly at ease in the tree and gently swings her legs trying to ease her feeling of unease.

ooc: @ Callos - err, our little group knows nothing about the "shadow" cat except that a) it's a large cat, and b) it killed a worg wolf-thing.

Dr._Bob
2006-09-29, 04:41 PM
The alpha worg ***** his head.

"Rules? Honor?" The worg seems genuinely puzzled.

Several other worgs shake their heads. Kiah senses a change in their attitudes. Excitement seems to have been replaced by contempt. It looks like they have interpeted the arguments and delay of the party as a sign of cowardice.

That Thokk seems to want to outline "rules" for a fight to the death apparently strikes the worgs as a sign of additional weakness.

[hr]
Tiriel gradually shrinks back to normal size then clambers up into the tree, joining her companions.

The circle of "wolves" closes in slightly. They keep a safe distance from the tree, but they clearly mean to prevent any of you from escaping.

The owl shakes its wings in frustration, the sunrod still gripped in one claw, while it balances on a high branch with the other.

Stalemate.

bhdrake
2006-09-29, 05:14 PM
Lumpy

Lumpy stretches languidly, something akin to a chuckle on his lips,

"I tried telling ya this was my kind'a fight. Ya sure ya wanna go through with it? I ain't so particular as ta need rules."

Lost Sage
2006-09-29, 06:04 PM
Kiah

Kiah blows air noisily. "Yup, looks like you got it again. The worgs ain't too impressed with our arguments. They think we are cowards for all this chatter. Toss a dagger in the air or something. But we'd best decide quickly.".

She looks at Lumpy "Would a spell of protection be out of line?"

King_of_GRiffins
2006-09-29, 06:29 PM
Elthan

"Thokk, I know I don't have to do anything, but its just that which bothers me, that I could just be in the back, completly obscured. I know I don't have to do this for the group, but if so I'll take my chances and do this for myself."

"Kiah may be right. The worgs are looking a bit restless. Anyone who wants to do this, gather round. I'll cast an arrow and it will be decided randomly."

Elthan sets down his potions and spear, takes a step back, and after casting, a blue facsimlie of an arrow floats in front of him.

(OOC: Cast Prestidignation. DB or I can roll a dice after everyones voiced up. The arrow will spin and stop randomly on an individual and he'll fight.)

dauphinous
2006-09-29, 06:36 PM
Delphinia

Watching the creatures below, Delphinia starts getting a burning feeling in her gut. She reaches over and takes the sunrod from the owl, then looks at Callos. "You know, those look like wolves. But they sure aren't acting like wolves. I can think of one thing for sure that falls under that category. What do you think they are?" As she speaks, her expression slowly shifts from neutrality to suspicion to the start of something much more ugly.

{Edited to take the sunrod. Poor owl. :)}

Erikkin
2006-09-29, 06:52 PM
Fizahn:

"Okay, no rules. Just charge him Thokk."

sacreddeamon
2006-09-29, 07:09 PM
Thokk

*Thokk shurgs, picks up his bastard sword, and starts walking towards the wolves. As he walks, he calls over his shoulder*

"Ach, Elthan, keep my back safe for me. Druid, Protect the tribe"

*Thokk continutes to walk up, then gets into a defensive stance once he is close to the worg*

"Ach, come and get some ye bastard"

OOC: Thokk Readies an action to strike as soon as the worg is in range

HempRope
2006-09-29, 07:32 PM

"That's how we do it, Thokk!" says Achkby, setting his spear in the ground. He stays wary, though, in case something goes other than according to plan.

Ludo
2006-09-29, 10:52 PM
Nolan

Nolan raises a brow at Thokk's actions. Well that happened a lot sooner than I thought it would. He remains alert should any creature other than the challenger act.

Zeal
2006-09-29, 11:27 PM
Hajih

Hajih calls out with some rather...unique encouragement; all the while carrying a look on his face like what he said was the smartest thing he had ever uttered.
"I've got ale for ya Thokk, but only if you bring me a pelt."

Lost Sage
2006-09-29, 11:35 PM
Kiah

Kiah looks surprised when Thokk put himself forward, she glances at Ethan and the Druid to see how they take it.

maybe i've been away from civilization for too long. nice quiet forest. predicable creatures. friends that wait for you too finish before running off. (sigh), i feel old.

In a gloomy mood, she goes back to studying the worgs.

kariokie
2006-09-29, 11:44 PM
Nyssa

She knows four, and she knows safe, and she knows high, but that is all she can feel from Orestes at this distance. She resists the urge to call the owl to her, and instead watches Thokk step forward, taking the challenge.

Nyssa gives a quick sympathetic glance to Kiah, and then focuses on the fight to come.

There's no way reason can be heard in a group this big, not without a leader that makes it so.

bhdrake
2006-09-30, 12:33 AM
Lumpy

Casually, Lumpy loops his flail over the back of his neck, letting the weapon rest against his shoulders with ends pulled taut by the weight of his arms,

"Or the dwarf can go. Whatever."

As Thokk moves out of easy listening range, the orc throws a casual glance at the rest of his party,

"Heh, he's awfully confident fer someone with such a poorly developed style. Makes me wonder if he's all there in the head sometimes."

King_of_GRiffins
2006-09-30, 01:02 AM
Elthan

Elthan drops his shoulders in a sigh. This is just not fair. There's just no argueing with a dwarf.

"So be it."

Elthan resigns to stay back, but pulls out a scroll and discharges the spell on Thokk. "You can do this, just let me have the next chance, ok?"

(OOC: Cast Bulls Strength from scroll. Thokk has +4 strength for three minutes.)

runehawk
2006-09-30, 08:18 AM
Lizardkin Druid

The reptilian simply sighs as his prediction that any enquiry on "rules" would be seen as a weakness. The 'rules' were unwritten. This was the wild after all.

He knew in his heart that Voice-of-Thunder was the better warrior. He frowns at the Serpent-slayer's remark but doesn't say anything. His prowess had earned him the right to some comments.

He yells out
"sShedding more blood will not make right the... the.. whole..ness of the land. You... care NOT for the Wyld. What YOU want, beast? Yes. Blood for blood. Eye for an eye. You hunt us and expect uss not to fight in defense? What you seek, beast who speaks in the tongues-of-man?"

His face screws up in a mixture of anger and frustration.

Dr._Bob
2006-09-30, 10:00 PM
Dozens of red eyes stare unblinkingly from the forest's edge as Thokk ignores Elthan's arrow and steps forward to challenge the alpha male. Elthan lets the snub pass without comment. Instead, the half-elf pats Thokk on the back as he passes, imbuing the dwarf with additional strength.

The lizardman calls out one last time as Thokk takes up a defensive position behind his tower shield.

The alpha snarls back at the druid. "I care not for your patronizing tone lizard. Who are you to speak of the wyld, you who walks on two feet among other bipeds, stinking of civilization, wearing clothing and carrying weapons?

"What wrong has my pack done to you or yours? If a member of my pack attacked one of yours unprovoked, what would you and yours have done in return? If another member of my pack then slew one of your companions in cold blood, how would you suggest we could 'make things right'?

"I offer one-on-one combat that will spare both of our packs unnecessary bloodshed and death. You and your barbaric kind would not have been so generous I'll warrant."

The alpha male steps forward from beneath the trees as he shouts his reply to the lizardman. The "worg" seems to be breathing heavily.

As the "worg" hyperventilates, his form changes before your eyes. His limbs thicken and, as he approaches Thokk, he rises up on his hind legs until he is walking erect.

When the alpha stops, 30 yards from Thokk, he has transformed into some kind of half-wolf, half-man hybrid. He is suddenly calm, almost whispering now. "Was I before a man who dreamt about being a wolf, or am I now a wolf who dreams of being a man ..."

He tilts his head back and howls at the moon, spreading his arms and extending his fingers, which end in wicked claws.

The rest of his pack joins in, raising the hairs on the back of your necks with their howling, which can even be heard deep in the forest where Callos and the others are holed up in a tree ...

OOC: Thokk holds his action. The werewolf lord transforms into his hybrid form. The two combatants are separated by 90 feet. SD, please generate an initiative roll.

runehawk
2006-10-01, 07:12 AM
Lizardkin Druid

Ssathiya feels immediately insulted to be told he stinks of civilisation. He can't help involuntarily sniffing himself.
Seeing the pack-leader change form, he gasps in shock. He'd heard about shape-changers. Something between lizardman and animal.

SEMUANYA!...I would have spared its life. Now I pray Voice-of-Thunder kills it before it leads its pack into destruction.

He looks back to his own packmates and mutters (albeit unnecessarily), "This is not good. The pack follows one that is not their breed"

His face is aghast and he stands shock-still looking guility at Elthan.
"What have we done?"

Yoric_Steele
2006-10-01, 08:43 AM
Trinark

Trinark had been relegated to the position of observer, during the internal bickering over who would face the Worg. He had no intention of volunteering, he thought what Callos did was wrong and he deserved to be punished for it.

Trinark knew little of Thokk, but he looked like a capable warrior. Given the current state of affairs, he hoped Thokk would prevail.

As the Worg transformed, the irony of the situation was revealed. Trinark couldn't help himself, he broke into a laugh. He tried his best to conceal his laughter behind his hand...

Now this is getting interesting!

HempRope
2006-10-01, 12:08 PM

Holy--!

And he d speaks of... us being unnatural!

Though... do I... am I not becoming like him?

Lost Sage
2006-10-01, 03:13 PM
Kiah

Kiah hisses through her teeth...

"Lycanthropy!"

"If Thokk gets bitten we may lose him! Even if he wins the fight! We must help protect him!

Living in the wilds, it is something that she has seen before the wolf form, one of the most evil and hardest to control...

She thinks furiously, "I can give him some protection, but I have to touch him. Can anyone make me invisible?"

sacreddeamon
2006-10-01, 10:17 PM
Thokk

*Thokks eyes widen slightly as the beast transforms, then breaks into a grin*

"Ach, a true challange then. So be it, beastie. Come and die."

*Thokk Calmly strodes 20 feet closer to the Werewolf and once again picks up his defensive stance*

Thokk Init (1d20+1=21) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=651177)

OOC: Hoo Rah! Thokk takes a single move action closer and readies an action to attack the instant the werewolf is in range

kariokie
2006-10-01, 10:31 PM
Nyssa

Nyssa shakes her head at Kiah. "I don't have any ability to conceal you. Or any way to aid Thokk." She watches the fight as it starts, ready to cast a spell the instant it looks like the worgs will break their word.

HempRope
2006-10-01, 11:08 PM

How many of this pack are his spawn?

"I have a scroll," ventures Achkby, "What are you going to do?"

Ludo
2006-10-01, 11:46 PM
Nolan

Well damn, that complicates things.

Nolan stands ready should anything go wrong.

Phasm
2006-10-02, 12:38 AM
Lissa

Lissa looks over at Delphinia from where she's lounging in the fork of a branch. The gnome has been amusing herself by making snowballs out of the snow collected on the tree; she's managed a fair-sized, albeit precarious pile of them so far. "You mean wolves aren't supposed to act like that?" Ahh, city slickers. A title which Lissa wears proudly. She looks genuinely puzzled. "So if they're not wolves, what in the Nine Hells are they? Werewolves... nah, if they could change shape to climb after us they'd have done it by now." Lissa gives the ranger a questioning look.

King_of_GRiffins
2006-10-02, 12:53 AM
Elthan

Elthan stands just a bit dumbstruck at the transformation. It's just not something one can anticipate. "We've put our friend in more danger than we had intentioned to.", he responds to the druid.

He backs up into the group nervously, setting the two potions back into his pack and pulling out another. He passes the new potion to Kiah. "If you really need to be invisible, drink that, but I advise against any unnecesarry foolishness. Thokk can win."

(OOC: Potion of Invisibility, CL 2 if you need it.)

Lost Sage
2006-10-02, 01:15 AM
Kiah

Kiah grabs the potion from Elthan.

"I doubt it...and he'll be a werewolf tomorrow if he does."

She quaffs the potion. "Yell at the werewolf. Call him names. Anything. Just make noise...."

Kiah moves toward Thokk as quickly and quietly as she can (move silently +0), running through all the spells she can cast in her head... protection from evil, barkskin, magic weapon... does thokk have a magic weapon?... resistance, prayer...

kariokie
2006-10-02, 02:04 AM
Nyssa

"I'll keep you both in contact, then." Nyssa closes her eyes for a few seconds and concentrates intently.

{Nyssa casts Message using Silent Spell and Still Spell. Because she's using metamagic, it will take a full round to cast. She'll establish the spell with Thokk and Kiah.}

dauphinous
2006-10-02, 07:29 AM
Delphinia

Delphinia directs her ugly scowl out into the darkness. "Normal wolves probably would have left us alone in the first place. If they were going to attack, they would have just done it while we were getting into the tree. Or they would have tried to shake us down by now. If they weren't going to attack, they should have left by now. But this waiting, it's eerie. It's almost like they're smart."

She watched helplessly while the wolflike creature snatched her father up in its jaws as he tried to scramble away. It began chewing; each movement of its jaw bringing a terrified, agonizing scream from his lips. When it turned to look at her, somehow she knew that those red eyes could tell she was still alive and terrified of it. And it liked that. It liked that a lot.

Delphinia shook her head to clear the memory. Without even putting a conscious thought behind it, she lifted her bow with a pair of arrows to the string and tried to sight one of the creatures in the darkness.

runehawk
2006-10-02, 12:19 PM
Lizardkin Druid

"What does she mean?"
He points to Kiah but asks Elthan the question.

"How will he become shapechanger next day?"

He eyes Thokk with concern remembering his former death. This resurfaces a similar memory and he glances to Trinark momentariy.

kuja.girl
2006-10-02, 01:37 PM
Tiriel

"I don't know about smart, but they're organized." She pauses, "They seem bent on keeping us up here and not attacking, which isn't any fun ... Is anyone else wondering why?

Spaz
2006-10-02, 01:42 PM
Yix

Yix for the most part just sits and watches, momentarily awed by Thokk's bold words to the now terrifying Wolf Lord.

sacreddeamon
2006-10-02, 02:35 PM
Thokk

"Ach Hajih, get that ale ready for me, I'll be thirsty after rending this beastie apart"

*Thokk stares at the Werewolf and spits into the ground infront of it*

"Hark, unnatural creature. You do not belong amonst them, for thee are of another cursed race. You shall be vanquished"

Erikkin
2006-10-02, 05:26 PM
Fizahn:

Fizahn watches Thokk step forward to challenge the werewolf. As the werewolf changes form, his eyes widen. He smiles as Kaih drinks the potion of invisibility. Yes. My personal favorite favorite code of honor. She'd better be out of there before she becomes visible though. He then begins shouting insults at the werewolf."You don't know who you're messing with pup. Bring back his ragged pelt Thokk. Callos needs a blanket and even one as tattered as that is better than none."

King_of_GRiffins
2006-10-02, 05:58 PM
Elthan

Now to hope nothing bad comes out of turning that girl invisible.

After finding a place to stand next to the Lizard, Elthan is patient in his reply. "Unless he is something odder, Thokks opponent is a werewolf, and thus lycanthropic. If wounded by a lycanthrope, there is a high chance victim turns into one himself."

Elthan takes a short breath before continueing a bit more. "I never really believed that, since most stories I've heard involved the victim being killed in the attack, or running away unharmed from the encounter. I suppose I'll be forced to test that thought after this."

Callos_DeTerran
2006-10-02, 06:00 PM
Callos

His own thoughts had begun to drift down the same path as the other halflings even as she spoke the words.

"....This isn't right. We need to return to camp immiedetely"

His words where terse and even though the necromancer didn't even want to move his eyes began to dart around the trees and even on the ground below looking for inspiration. Retreating into a hyper dimensional space was no longer a viable option. Not with the way these 'wolves' were acting. But how to get back to camp...Running on the ground was out of the question. But maybe...

"The trees. Start looking for a path through the tree tops back towards where every one else is. Staying here is no longer to our benefit."

((OOC: Going to look for a path of sturdy branches or an opening among the worgs/werewolves.)

Phasm
2006-10-02, 08:27 PM
Lissa

It's probably a good thing that Callos suggested something to do, because Lissa had a snowball in hand aimed at the nearest wolf-thing. She begins to nod, then frowns. "Hey, the dogs can't climb. If we just leave them here, they'll freeze." Frustrated, Lissa winds up and throws her snowball straight at a worg's face...

OOC: I couldn't resist! I'm sorry! The snowballs are loosely packed, so they shouldn't do any damage.

Dr._Bob
2006-10-02, 08:51 PM
The howling fades away into the night, leaving the darkness thick with anticipation. Deep in the forest, Callos, Delphinia, Tiriel and Lissa consider attempting to make their way through the branches of the trees. The trees are dense here, and their bare branches are entangled enough to allow passage from tree to tree for those nimble enough (or small enough) to keep their balance.

Some of the "wolves" below lick their lips, but they keep their distance. Their howling stops suddenly, and they seem to be waiting for something. Their ears are pricked up, but they seem to be listening to something far away.

Lissa smacks one of the distracted wolves in the face with a snowball. It leaps forward with a snarl, but a quick bark from another wolf halts it in its tracks. It returns to its position, eyes burning red as it glares at Lissa.

[hr]
The forest falls silent.

The werewolf lord lowers his head and locks eyes on the dwarf. Without a word, he starts his charge, picking up speed as he covers the ground between the two of them with frightening speed.

Thokk braces himself behind his tower shield (which is taller than he is), settled into a wide stance, his bastard sword chambered over his shoulder.

The werewolf crashes into the tower shield at full tilt and, despite the dwarf's low center of gravity, Thokk is forced backwards two feet by the force of the impact.

The werewolf slams the shield aside and slashes Thokk with his claws, but not before the dwarf thrusts viciously into the beast's belly. It is not immediately obvious whether the sword penetrates the werewolf's thick hide.

The half-man, half-monster rakes the dwarf with his claws in a frenzy, sending sprays of blood radiating outward. The droplets of blood glitter in the moonlight as they sail through the air. Thokk fights back with equal ferocity, his sword singing as it cuts again and again ...

OOC: After the first round, Thokk and the werewolf are only 10' apart.

In round 2, I assume that Thokk agains holds his action and attacks before the werewolf's charge takes effect. The werewolf hits AC 36 for 14 damage.

In round 3, Thokk can act again before the werewolf's full attack takes effect. The werewolf hits AC 28 and 34 for 14 and 16 damage.

Meanwhile, Kiah becomes invisible and approaches Thokk, while Nyssa links Kiah and Thokk together. Kiah action (whatever is turns out to be) will take effect in round 3.

SD, please submit attacks and damage against AC 17 for round 2 and AC 19 for round 3. Take into account the werewolf's damage reduction of 10.

For the characters trapped in the woods, movement through the trees is possible at one half speed, but each round each character needs to make a DC 15 balance check each round to make any progress. Failure by 5 or more means that you can't move for one subsequent round. Failure by 10 or more results in a fall.

Callos_DeTerran
2006-10-02, 09:11 PM
Callos DeTerran

A nervous grin came to his face when Lissa threw the snowball down to peg one of the wolves but a realization came to him.

"...I don't thnk their allowed to hurt us. I know it sounds crazy but I think its safe to move through the trees. Which way is back to camp?"

Every fiber of his being was screaming out that he shouldn't move. Too dangerous and he would fall down. But this place was even more dangerous to stay. Clinging unto the tree he was sitting on with a death grip, Callos pulled himself up to his feet and mentally cursed his sad sorry footing. The necromancer had some degree of balance but this would be tricky.

((Oh monkey spit... Alright I just made all of the rolls for the next ten rounds to save some time. Here they are.

1d20+3=9, 1d20+3=9, 1d20+3=11, 1d20+3=12, 1d20+3=22, 1d20+3=11, 1d20+3=4, 1d20+3=20, 1d20+3=20, 1d20+3=16 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=654026) ))

blackfox
2006-10-02, 09:13 PM
Katrin

Katrin rushes up out of the shadows next to Elthan and Fizahn. Blood is splattered across her face and chest, but she does not seem to be wounded. "What's going on? Who--" Katrin cuts herself off abruptly, seeing the werewolf. She shudders, then pulls herself together. "No... Stop this! Stop fighting!" she screams. She stares straight at the werewolf lord, her expression full of emotion.

kariokie
2006-10-02, 09:25 PM
Nyssa

Nyssa whispers quietly, her voice reaching Kiah and Thokk. "Thokk, Kiah is invisible and coming to aid you with spells. Please make noise to cover her approach. You may both whisper back a short message now if you need to."

As Katrin emerges from the woods, Nyssa looks towards her in alarm. "Uh oh," she breathes quietly to her brother.

She sends a sense of agitation to Orestes, hoping his sudden shift in mood might alert the others that something is going on.

{Knowledge: Arcana (1d20+11=24) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=654118) -- can I figure out about the DR?}

{And, to make things easy, just assume Nyssa repeats anything Kiah or Thokk need her to, since all messages go back to her but not to each other. Otherwise I'll be posting "Kiah said..." all day.}

dauphinous
2006-10-02, 09:44 PM
Delphinia

Delphinia isn't listening anymore. I'm such an idiot. If I live through this, I have to apologize to Callos. He was right. Staring into those red, red eyes, she lines up the shot, two arrows at once. If only he'd killed it instead of just wounding it. For my clan, for my family, and most of all, for me. "Burn in hell," she snarls quietly as the arrows fly, a red haze fogging her vision.

{to hit: first arrow: 20 + 6 = 26, 7+6 = 13 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=654108) to confirm, second arrow: 7 + 6 = 13 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=654114)
assuming first one hits and does not confirm, damage is 4 + 1 cold = 5 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=654120)}

HempRope
2006-10-02, 10:09 PM
...that was strange.

"Katrin! calls Achkby in surprise, his attention temporarily wrested away from the fight.
"Have you seen Tiriel and the others?!"

Yeah, Knowledge (Arcana) (1d20+11=29) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=654169)

Lost Sage
2006-10-02, 10:10 PM
Kiah

Kiah makes her way across the clearing as quickly as possible. However it's not quick enough. The monster charges Thokk at frightening speed. The collision sets her teeth on edge and the ferocity of the attack almost stops her in her tracks. Time stops for Kiah as the spray of blood sparkles in the moonlight. All she sees is a small warrior hopelessly pitted against an insane evil...

not gonna happen

As the combatants fall apart after that first awful charge Kiah moves into place 10' behind Thokk. Kiah hesitates, not knowing what spell to use first and thinking she may only get one. Precious seconds are lost as she is torn between magic weapon and protection from evil . Finally, not knowing what kind of magic Nyssa has used to connect them she speaks clearly, but softly enough that the werewolf will have no chance of overhearing.

"Thokk! Hold your sword behind you if you need it magic!"

Kiah waits on a hair trigger with the words of magic weapon on her lips.

(OOC: hold action until late in the 3rd round, speak, ready magic weapon for Thokk holding his sword behind him)

EDIT: What are Thokk's hit points? Is he almost dead and the end of the 3rd round? If Kiah can see this she will burn Clairvoyance for a cure serious wounds (3d8+6)
instead of magic weapon.

Ludo
2006-10-02, 10:23 PM
Nolan

Nolan's face is impassive as the fight starts, his discipline and training coming to the fore. A slight twitch in his left eyelid is the only sign that Thokk's bloody injury registers with the monk.

sacreddeamon
2006-10-02, 10:47 PM
Thokk

*Thokk rightens himself, blood seeping from numerous wounds in his body. He retains consciousness through pure will of effort, and starts hacking madly at the werewolf, trying to drive it back as all else fades from his vision*

*In a strangly calm voice Thokk yells back*

"Aye, lads, this is not good."

I don't want to leave again...

Thokks Round 2 Attacks
*Power Attack, -2 to hit +2 damage*
Thokk To Hit (1d20+9=21) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=654201)
Thokk to Hit (1d20+4=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=654206)

Hit
Thokk Damage (1d10+9=17) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=654209)

Thokk Round 3 Attacks
Normal
Thokk To Hit (1d20+11=23) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=654211)
Thokk to Hit (1d20+6=18) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=654215)

Hit
Thokk Damage (1d10-3=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=654217)

OOC: Ouch. Thats really painful. The first damage roll needs 10 subtracted from it, I took that into consiteration in the second roll. It may be time for others to start comming in, for some reason I dont think this is a fair fight as it is right now...

Phasm
2006-10-02, 11:32 PM
Lissa

Lissa watches in horror as Callos slips on the icy branches, and then Delphinia suddenly starts shooting at the not-wolves. "Well, that's just torn it. So much for stealth and subtlety." Despite her sarcastic remarks, the gnome is loading her crossbow as she speaks. Then she closes her eyes, places one hand on the crude silver medallion at her chest, and chants briefly in Celestial. "Baravar, please bless your servant and her allies!"

OOC: Load crossbow and cast bless.

bhdrake
2006-10-03, 01:17 AM
Lumpy

It's a damned good thing he's prepared to die.

Lumpy leaves his flail draped across his neck like some grim fashion accessory as he watches Thokk take a good solid thrashing,

"Now, don't get me wrong, he ain't bad in a fight, but he's really going about it all wrong. Defense is swell, and it's got its uses, but fuzzy over there just showed why offense usually wins these sorts'a things. Shields are fer big battles and buying time. In a duel, yer better off devoting yerself ta winning than fending off attacks."

The orc's critique is delivered matter-of-factly and easily, as if he were discussing the quality of his morning coffee and not alife or death affair. Abruptly, his tone changes to one slightly more serious, but tinged with faint frustration,

"Alright, show'a hands, who's got serious moral issue with letting the dwarf die in this misguided honor-duel crap? Might as well getthe voting over with before it's too late."

He leaves his own hand down, naturally.

runehawk
2006-10-03, 02:42 PM
Lizardkin Druid

The lizardkin takes in what Elthan says and frowns as he tries to wrap his mind around it.

a sickness..

When Kiah interferes by turning invisible he actually blurts out,
"Wait. She cannot.."

She would betray the terms of the challenge and most likely be detected and killed. More importantly to the druid's way of thinking, risk the entire pack's safety if the werewolf ordered an attack in retaliation.

He looked around for support and was shocked to be tugged back. He didn't miss the vicious attacks on Thokk and bared his teeth reactively.

Before he could say anything the missing Walks-in-Shadows returns and yells for the fight to cease. He turns to see if Tiriel and the others returned with her.

kariokie
2006-10-03, 04:30 PM
Nyssa

"If it helps anyone's decision, Orestes has become very upset. I believe that either the group in the woods attacked, or has been attacked." Nyssa watches the fight carefully, and prepares herself to meddle, as she is so prone to do.

She whispers quietly, sending her message, "Kiah, I think there's a problem with the other group. And Thokk's going to lose."

Lost Sage
2006-10-03, 05:12 PM
Kiah

After Thokk takes the first full round of deadly attacks from the monster, Kiah heals Thokk (hopefully) and hears Nyssa'a information. She whispers back

"The other group has not been damaged. Thokk will be dead in a round unless someone does something!"

Dr._Bob
2006-10-04, 01:01 PM
Katrin's sudden appearance at the forest's edge surprises your party and the worgs alike.

The werewolf lord freezes, one clawed hand still wrapped around Thokk's throat, the other pinning Thokk's sword arm at the bicep.

All eyes turn to the blood-spattered rogue. Si'rene sprints to her side, "Are you hurt?" Katrin shakes her head no.

Kiah takes this opportunity to creep forward. She reaches an invisible hand out and touches Thokk's forehead, partially healing his wounds. The werewolf lord is only inches away. His nostrils flare, but if he is aware of Kiah's proximity, he does not show it. Instead he keeps his red eyes locked on Katrin.

Slowly, the werewolf lord relaxes his grip on Thokk and steps backwards. "We are done here. Blood for blood."

The werewolf lord turns his back on Thokk and begins to walk back towards the woods, towards Katrin and Si'rene. The worgs concealed in the woods likewise begin to converge on the rogue and the gray elf. Si'rene nocks two arrows and points her longbow at the approaching werewolf.

"Where are the others?" she whispers to Katrin.

[hr]
Callos begins creeping forward along the highest branches toward the next tree. Lissa sighs and starts to follow, but when she looks back, she sees Delphinia glaring at the wolves below with pure hatred in her eyes. Before Lissa can react, Delphinia shoots one of the wolves who yelps and disappears into the darkness.

The other wolves are on their feet, teeth bared.

Before Delphinia can reload, however, Callos slips and falls out of the tree. Tiriel launches herself out of the tree as well, catching the necromancer in midair. There is the sound of a loud flapping of wings, and Tiriel gently lowers herself and Callos to the ground.

"Stand back," she whispers to Callos.

Tiriel raises her sword and suddenly the woods are flooded with a blinding light. Lissa and Delphinia turn their heads and avert their dark-adapted eyes. Peeking through slitted eyelids, they see an amazing sight ...

An angel stands proudly, resplendent in shining armor, a flaming sword held aloft as she spreads a pair of enormous white wings. She shakes her blond hair out of her face, revealing achingly beautiful features and piercing blue eyes.

The encircling wolves cower before her, and one by one they break for cover, running for their lives.

The angel lowers and sheathes her sword, and the daylight fades. She ties back her hair and suddenly she is just Tiriel again.

Callos_DeTerran
2006-10-04, 02:48 PM
Callos

Damn it all...!

Those where the only thoughts that could fill the wild-eyed necromancer's head as his slippery footing on the branches gave way when he began to move.

Instinctfully Callos closed his eyes and tried to raise his arms up to cushion fall. This was like some kind of horrible nightmare! The wind rushing past his face. The wolves awaiting him on the ground, slavering as if ready to devour him, but then he didn't slam into the ground. Far from it, the only harm he seemed to take was being jolted when his fall was arrested by.....TIRIEL?! That didn't explain why he heard the sounds of wings either!

But when they where both on the ground and the warrior woman asked him to step back he wasn't going to argue either. The necromancer stepped back until he was pressed against the tree, eyes darting from wolf to wolf, waiting to see which would attack first when the golden light began fill the woods around them.

"GAH! What in the Nine Hells is that light?!"

The light almost burned at him and he threw his arms up in front of his face. Only catching brief glimpses of the angelic being that had saved him. It made his heart ache, an act that had his right hand clutching at his chest while he gritted his teeth. Once the light was gone however there where spots dancing in front of his eyes, compromising his balance even more then it was on the tree.

Instead Callos slumped down at the base of the tree, opal eyes dazed and a little surprised and horrified at the same time. A single thought running through his head.

It was just like her....Looked just like her......what was it?

Already his mind was pouring over all of the religous texts he had read over his lifetime. Trying to find some little tidbit that would allow for his rationale side to explain the angelic being...and why it was no longer there.

((If Callos saw enough of the "angel" would it be possible to make a Knowledge Religon check to identify it/her? +13 on the modifier if you want to roll it yourself or should I?))

blackfox
2006-10-04, 05:17 PM
Katrin

"I don't know where the others are... If I even saw them, I don't remember..."

Katrin draws her shortsword. Blood for blood? What does that mean? Did I... I must have! Oh NO! She looks suddenly worried, even afraid, images of her friends, torn to pieces, rising in her mind.

Lost Sage
2006-10-04, 05:22 PM
Kiah

Kiah relaxes slightly as the werewolf moves away. She whispers to Nyssa

"I think Katrin killed a worg while in cat form. If the group is going to protect her do it now before that monster closes in. I for one want to hear her side of the story."

Then she moves up and hisses in Thokk's ear:
"Thokk! We need to get back to the group. NOW. I will enchant your sword on the way."

bhdrake
2006-10-04, 05:46 PM
Lumpy

Wordlessly, Lumpy starts walking himself, moving to interpose himself between the Werewolf and his quarry. A sober look crosses his face as he lays one gnarled hand on the haft of his weapon, flipping it back over his neck into position.

He wasn't quite sure what the whole story was with this, but it didn't entirely matter. He'd given his word to those women, not more than a few days go, and by damn, he'd hold to it. Even if it meant facing down something so obviously lethal. He could always get his answers if he happened to survive the encounter.

kariokie
2006-10-04, 06:00 PM
Nyssa

It was tumbling out of control so quickly. And there seemed to be one decision left to Nyssa: fight, or not.

"He lays a hand on anyone else, I fight," she whispers to Kiah and Thokk, her voice carrying through the night.

She looks to her brother, letting him know she planned to act. It was ill-advised, but her other option was to watch that girl be murdered for an act she didn't even seem to recall. There was no way Katrin was a match for the werewolf, he'd torn Thokk apart in seconds.

{Trigger -- if the worgs attack, cast Scare on two.}

dauphinous
2006-10-04, 07:41 PM
Delphinia

She already had another arrow ready. Then a very bright light shone from behind her. And now all the worgs were running. Delphinia turned slowly, just in time to see Tiriel-as-an-angel shrink back into Tiriel. And she almost put that arrow into Tiriel's back. "What the hell have you done," she shouts, angry and snarling. It takes every ounce of willpower she has to lower the arrow from her bow. With barely suppressed rage, she continues to shout at Tiriel. "They're running away, you flying- feathered- winged- glowing-" She lets out a loud, exasperated sound. "FREAK oF NATURE! They're escaping, and it's your fault! They're off to murder another village, another clan, and it's your fault! Those damn red-eyed devils from hell are on the loose, and it's YOUR FAULT!" Tears are now leaking down her angry, weathered face, and her hands are trembling.

sacreddeamon
2006-10-04, 07:45 PM
Thokk

*Thokk, woozy from the fight, took several steps with Kiah but kept looking back*

'What in the blazes is goin on?"

Yoric_Steele
2006-10-04, 09:06 PM
Trinark

Still watching the events, Trinark remains near the back entralled by spectacle.

Many things are not as they seem...

Content to watch until called upon, Trinark watches the wolves fall back away from the main group. The two women at the edge of the forest intrigued him, he knew they must be up to someting.

kuja.girl
2006-10-04, 11:29 PM
Tiriel

Well crap.

Tiriel looks down at Callos, who seems to be in shock, as Delphina unleashes her rage-swollen tounge at her.

I save the one who caused all the trouble in the first place and he looks like he's just seen something horrible, and now the ranger is screaming at me for scaring away the pack that treed us. She doesn't know what to say to Delphina yet, she's not even sure she understands the halfling. As far as Tiriel knows, it's usualy considered a GOOD thing when bad-things go away.

So Tiriel ignores the raging halfling for now and looking down at Callos asks, "Hey are you okay? That was a pretty stupid thing to do.
When Delphina stops speaking Tiriel calls up to her, "They hadn't done us any harm yet, and, well, I just thought it'd be better to get back to the others before we started a fight."

Ludo
2006-10-05, 01:21 AM
Nolan

Nolan catches Nyssa's eye. Well OF COURSE you're going to do something. Which means that Nolan will take action as well. Knowing that his attacks won't do much in the way of damage, Nolan prepares to rush forward and harry the werewolf lord with his flaming staff should a fight break out.

[Ready action: Aid other, Trigger: Werewolf Lord attacks party member]

Phasm
2006-10-05, 04:45 AM
Lissa

Lissa blinks furiously, wiping eyes made watery and half-blind from Tiriel's light show. Well, my guess was right after all! So much for her keeping it a secret now, though. Once her eyes have cleared enough to see, the agile rogue retrieves her rope and carefully pushes each dog out of the tree, (apologizing the whole time) rump-first into a snowbank. She scrambles down the tree like a squirrel, grinning at Tiriel.

"Angel-blooded, eh? I figured you as such way back when we first met... never said anything, since you obviously wanted to keep it a secret." As Delphinia rants at the bewildered Tiriel, Lissa sizes up the situation and coolly picks up a double handful of snow. She then proceeds to mold it into a very large, loosely packed snowball... and shoves the snowball into Delphinia's face. "Obviously, you need some help cooling your temper. Is it cooled down now, or shall I help out some more?", Lissa inquires in a politely inquisitive tone.

runehawk
2006-10-05, 05:08 AM
Lizardkin Druid

The lizardkin had watched the werewolf manhandle and toss the dwarf warrior aside with a sense of relief but anger welled up in him as he saw Walks-in-Shadows and Fire-arrow be surrounded.

That is not a duel...

His neck and head spines stand erect as he raises two hands and begins to chant. Roots and plants rise up and Entangle some of the wargs approaching from the side.

OOC: center it on the wargs to the side. Maximum number posssible.

He looks at Trinark, as if in farewell.
"I will not allow them to die"
He then casts Barkskin, Cat's Grace and Flameblade on himself before charging at the werewolf lord.

"SEMUUUAAANYAAA!"

OOC: New AC: 27 for werewolf lord, 26 for everyone else
New reflexsave: +8
Unless he has fire resistance, I do full dmg at AC 13 for him.

sacreddeamon
2006-10-05, 12:08 PM
Thokk

"Ach lass, but we need to save her!"

*Thokk watches as the Druid prepares and then charges the werewolf lord himself, without additional help*

"Damnit, he is not going in alone! Kiah, Enchant me sword and heal the rest of me, NOW! He wont go in alone! Lumpy, get yer ass up and charge the beast, or if ye think hes too much of a challange then take out the worgs on the side with yer big pointy stick!"

bhdrake
2006-10-05, 03:01 PM
Lumpy

Again with this; they never seem to learn. That's enough, I'm tired of it.

Lumpy's face curls into a snarl as Thokk goads him on. For a moment, it looks as if he's prepared to do just as the dwarf says, but it becomes quite evident that his ire is directed at Thokk himself. His voice is heavy with vitriol,

"Idiot dwarf! Charge, charge, charge! Ain't ya figured out yet that that just gets ya killed?! What part of splitting up one group against a superior fighter and another against superior numbers strikes yer thick skull as a good idea?! Ain't it ever occurred ta ya that facing threats as a cohesive group might be better than ramming yer damned head into them repeatedly?!"

His scowl deepens as he injects even more force into his voice,

"There's two options! Either you and the druid" He glances at Ssathiya as well, making it clear he's as much a target of his wrath as Thokk, "fight unneccessarily alone and die there, or ya get back here and help the rest'a us fight. Blind agression ain't gonna back them down, and it ain't gonna beat them, so get yer head outta yer ass!"

HempRope
2006-10-05, 04:15 PM

"Dammit, Druid!" yells Achkby, cursing as best he can in Draconic. He doesn't admit he's almost as eager to fight this beast, but for Thokk, not Kiah and Katrin.

His voice drops in volume, and he begins a low, guttural chant. He gestures methodically, gathering all of the magical power he can muster together inyo a tiny green light hovering before him. With a cry, Achkby flings out his arm, and the light spirals away towards the werewolf lord, striking him in the back and seeking into his muscles, sapping his enormous strength.

Achkby casts Empowered Ray of Enfeeblement
Ranged Touch Attack (1d20+6=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=661301)
Strength Drain (1.5*1d6+3=10.5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=661307)
AC: 15 :( HP: 22 :(
Whew. Now he only has, like, 22 Str. :P

Callos_DeTerran
2006-10-05, 06:29 PM
Callos DeTerran

She's talking to you, you know....

With a series of rapid blinks the necromancer drew himself out of his own mind and looked up at Tiriel. What did she want? There was a wistful look in his eyes as he pulled himself up unto his feet and brushed himself off. As blatantly ignoring the question as one could he began to look around before looking back at Tiriel and the halfling ranger.

"Rip each others throats out back at camp for all I care but we need to get back there. This business of wolves is...where is the camp at?"

sacreddeamon
2006-10-05, 08:49 PM
Thokk

'Ach then lad, Im right beside ye. Thats the first intelligent remark out o' yer mouth yet"

Lost Sage
2006-10-05, 09:08 PM
Kiah

Watching Achkby's ray strike the werewolf was it. No way out now. As Thokk makes noises about charging she scolds him sharply:

"Thokk! we need you in the defense formation!"

Nevertheless, she reaches over to enhance his sword.

"Hold that sword still! I can't touch it if you wave it around like that."

(OOC: Kiah casts magic weapon on Thokk's sword)
EDIT: grammar

Erikkin
2006-10-06, 06:55 AM
Fizahn:

Fizahn follows Lumpy on his route toward the worgs. He raises his crossbow and after seeing Achkby cast magic, shoots at one of the worgs.

OOC: I will post rolls later because my internet is being uncooperative.

dauphinous
2006-10-06, 12:24 PM
Delphinia freezes, then reaches up a hand to wipe the snow off her face. She closes her eyes and takes a deep breath.

She was blazing with righteous fury at Orrin. ‘How could you let them go? They slaughter innocent people, and it will be on your head. They can’t be reasoned with! You’re a complete fool, you self righteous- nature loving- overtrusting- hells be damned druid! Go find a damned tree to save, and leave the people to me!’

Then he threw a cup of water in her face; cold, almost frozen water. ‘Calm down, Nia. Just cool down. You always get so worked up over goblins. It’s bad for your health.’

”Gladi, Heel.” Her words clipped and voice strained, she drops the arrow in her hand back into her quiver and slings it onto her shoulder. She takes a quick look around. Nostrils flared but voice now calm, she says, ”we might as well get back to camp now.”

Spaz
2006-10-06, 01:29 PM
Yix

Yix seeing now that everyone is acting, decides to jump on the band wagon. He rushes over to where Achkby, he takes up a fighting stance with his tail flitting back and forth with anticipation. "Don't worry, I'll protect you. Yix wordlessly explains to Achkby

Dr._Bob
2006-10-08, 08:56 PM
Delphinia glares at Lissa, the two women standing pretty much eye to eye while Callos and Tiriel stand by uncomfortably. (Callos seems distracted and Tiriel looks almost sheepish.) Taking a deep breath, Delphinia reins in her fury and reorients herself to lead the others back to their companions.

The riding dogs are thrilled to be down out of the tree. Each marks one side of the tree for good measure.

The owl leads the way out of the forest. If the "wolves" are anywhere nearby, there is no sign or sound to indicate their presence.

The four of you break out at the edge of the forest about a hundred yards from a confusing scene. The rest of your party appears to be involved in some sort of standoff with a half-wolf humanoid and a large pack of wolf creatures ...

[hr]
Lumpy has organized the party into a rough phalanx, with himself, Hajih and Nolan in the center, Aeroz and Fizahn flanking to the sides, and Elthan, Nyssa, and Kiah standing behind. The forest's edge and the wolf/worg pack are about 30 yards in front of the group.

Thokk, bloody and wild-eyed, almost has to be restrained from charging on his own. He pauses long enough for Kiah to enchant his sword.

This pause, unfortunately, is long enough for the lizardman, Yix and Achkby to break ranks and begin to charge towards the werewolf lord.

The werewolf lord's back is to them as he confronts Katrin and Si'rene at the forest's edge, so he is initially unaware of the approaching lizardman and halfling. The wolves/worgs have edged forward, forming a semicircle behind Katrin and Si'rene, blocking any escape. They bark a warning, and the werewolf lord half turns just before he is struck by Achkby's ray of enfeeblement.

The werewolf lord shudders as he is weakened, but he turns fully to face the onrushing lizardman, growling a command to his pack that keeps them frozen in place.

As the werewolf lord prepares to meet the druid's attack, Si'rene fires a white arrow that sails over the werewolf's shoulder and strikes the lizardman!

"Stop it!" she shouts. "This bloodshed is pointless!"

OOC: The lizardman takes 9 points of nonlethal damage and needs to make a DC 11 Will save to avoid falling asleep. If he makes his save AND decides to ignore Si'rene's shout, he will deal damage as posted previously.

HempRope
2006-10-08, 09:26 PM

Achkby, not realizing that in his rage he had approached the massive abomination only moments before mutilating Thokk, freezes in fright as his vulnerability dawns on him.
"C'mon, Yix!" he urges his draconic protector, and quickly turns to scurry back behind the impromptu phalanx, in his haste not even noticing Si'rene's attack on the Druid.

Spaz
2006-10-08, 10:11 PM
Yix

Hearing Achkby's call Yix plants his feet into the ground to stop himself. He then cautiously backs away from the werewolf lord, hopefully towards some sort of safety.

Zeal
2006-10-09, 12:47 AM
Hajih

Hajih shakes his head “This has gone from bad to worse and from worse to oh-dear-gods-save-us… I need a drink.”

Ludo
2006-10-09, 01:59 AM
Nolan

What the– Nolan stops short at Si'rene's shout. "Someone remind me whose side she's on again.

kariokie
2006-10-09, 02:19 AM
Nyssa

Well, I'm at least curious as to her reasoning. Nyssa shouts, "Do you have an alternative to this 'pointless bloodshed,' Si'rene?"

Nyssa quietly asides to the group, "I certainly hope she does not select to shoot me next."

With a quick thought, she calls Orestes to her, knowing the others are close before they even emerge from the woods. If no one else in the group notices their presence, she indicates them with a gesture. "At least one there is very angry..."

runehawk
2006-10-09, 09:22 AM
Lizardkin Druid... and schmuck

The arrow slams into him with seemingly more force than it should have possessed.

A wave of fatigue washes over him with the cold realization that the arrow was magical. He almost dropped down to his knees.

The visage of the werewolf and his inherent stubborness made him stagger upright and fight the feeling of sleepiness that passes.

He found himself saying
"Stay away from them"
although he was utterly confued as to his own packmates actions. He doesn't back down away from the werewolf and he stands there baring his teeth.

Dr._Bob
2006-10-09, 08:16 PM
The werewolf lord eyes the druid intensely. His red eyes are filled, not with hatred or rage, but with curiosity. He looks over the lizardman's claws, reptilian features, and tail as if trying to figure out if the druid is some kind of lycanthropic hybrid too.

The werewolf lord steps aside and allows Si'rene to escort Katrin back to the main party. Katrin looks shaken and confused. Her face, hair and hands remain bloodstained (though her clothing is not).

Once Katrin and Si'rene have reached the main party, along with Achkby and Yix, the werewolf lord speaks to your party.

"The metamorphosis is disorienting for those not born to it. She will not remember (and I do not hold her responsible for) her actions while in her weirded form.

"I had thought that the shadowcat was one of your pets," nodding towards Orestes as the owl lands on Nyssa's shoulder. "It had not occured to me that she was one of us."

As the werewolf lord speaks, the wolves of the wood step forward, until nearly 30 of them stand behind their leader. Five of the wolves transform into hybrids as they approach, until you are facing six werewolf hybrids (five plus the werewolf lord) and two dozen large wolves (or worgs perhaps). (A half dozen more wolves remain at the forest's edge, struggling to break free of vines entangling them.)

Nodding to Thokk, he adds, "Blood has been shed for blood. No debt remains between us."

Gesturing to his pack members, he continues, "But if your pack wants to make war with mine, we can settle this right now."

[hr]
Callos, Delphinia, Tiriel and Lissa remain just at the forest's edge, observing the standoff from a safe distance. When the wolves break cover, the four of you and your dogs find yourselves behind the pack, off to their right flank.

runehawk
2006-10-10, 12:16 AM
Lizardkin Druid

The druid waits for the two humans to reach him unharmed
He backsteps as Si'rene and Katrin pass him. Facing the wolves in case of a sudden attack.

Once it was clear that the wrewolf lord was no longer going to harm them, he dismisses the entangle spell.

He remains confused over many things. The night's events. The demand for the magic-user that the others called Cal-los. The attack by his own packmate. And now the words of the wolfman shapechanger.

...shadowcat?...one of them?...

His simple mind dealt with survival and matters of the Balance..of the things sacred to Semuanya. The events of the night would have to be patiently explained to him by Cloudhair much later.

He thanked his God for small blessings.

They were still alive.

bhdrake
2006-10-10, 05:13 AM
Lumpy

Lumpy retrieves his polearm and resumes leaning against it, just as content to see the fighting over abruptly as he would have been to end it himself,

"Nah, I think we're all fine with that. Except maybe the dwarf"

THe burly orc glances around a bit, taking a head-count, "Soon as we collect our missing pa- members, I reckon we can move on down the road and outta yer.. err.. hair. Ya ain't eaten none'a them, have ya?"

Callos_DeTerran
2006-10-10, 09:00 AM
Callos

When he and the other three had come slinking out of the woods across from the rest of his ravelling companions he was elated at first. But when he took a closer look at the situation and saw the man-wolf hybrids and all of what assumed where regular wolves he realized just how wrong he was.

Holding a hand up so that all four of them stayed the necromancer laid down that hand on the halfling ranger's shoulder squeezing iti lightly.

sacreddeamon
2006-10-10, 09:52 AM
Thokk

"Ach, very well. Ye fight well, Beast. Twas an honor"

*Thokk gives the werewolf lord a deep bow, then rejoins the rest of the company*

Lost Sage
2006-10-10, 11:09 AM
Kiah

Still invisible, Kiah puts her hand on both Nyssa and Ethan to stop them from running into her whenever they move. They both can hear her relaxed exhalation of breath as the situation defuses.

Her voice speaks softly from the air between them "Well.... that was uncommonly understanding of him."

dauphinous
2006-10-10, 11:29 AM
Delphinia

Delphinia stops abruptly at the edge of the clearly, her hands lifting her bow and nocking an arrow to it. "Now we see where they went," she hisses. The pressure on her shoulder is just enough to stop her from firing and makes her look up at Callos. "You people are all in some big damn hurry to save the damn world, but you don't seem to give much of a crap about what gets left in your wake. Do you know that worgs enjoy killing people?" She takes in a shallow breath and lets it out through her nose. "Fine. I can see that no one else is willing to fight these abominations."

She lowers her bow but leaves the arrow ready and returns her gaze to the scene unfolding before them. In a rather flat voice, she says, "I apologize for threatening you earlier."

runehawk
2006-10-10, 11:42 AM
Lizardkin Druid

Catching sight of the remerging quadruple, he stands and waits for them to catch up. He stares intently at Lissa and Tiriel, and his tail unconsiously wags a bit.

He strides off in the lead, guiding everyone back to their original campsite. He will not talk to anyone except Trinark. He'll listen to anyone who runs up beside him but his mind seems elsewhere.

kariokie
2006-10-10, 01:39 PM
Nyssa

Now that the danger has subsided, Nyssa notices how cold she is. Shivering a little, she pulls her cloaks and furs around her more tightly. She looks to where she believes Kiah is standing, from both the cues of her voice and the hand she's placed on Nyssa's arm. "Yes, very strange."

Spaz
2006-10-10, 01:43 PM
Yix

Yix lets out a big sigh or relief as he lies back and falls over. He seems very cheerful at the moment now that the tension is gone from the air, and seemingly everyone. However, he soon remembers his sleep was interrupted as he begins to mope around looking for a comfortable place to lie down.

Ludo
2006-10-10, 02:12 PM
Nolan

All that noise ... and for what? If all they wanted was blood I would have beaten Callos earlier and saved us all some time

Nolan relaxes his grip on his staff and eases his stance. He does not put the flames out however and he will remain at the rear of the party as they move on to ensure that nothing attacks from behind.

Callos_DeTerran
2006-10-10, 02:42 PM
Callos

"You obviously don't have a full understanding of me. I wouldn't mind stopping to vent some more frustration but I'm not going to risk the world at a chance to hurt some worgs. Once you calm down you'll realize its not worth the risk either."

The necromancer's tone was as it had been earlier that day. Somewhat bored, clinical, detached, and maybe a bit analytical. Would it really be within their power to strike down these creatures? They most definitly had superior numbers and those hybrids looked particularly dangerous. Once again Thokk looked banged up which meant that they had most likely missed something important. Everything seemed to be settling down however.

"Put the arrow away. Things look peaceful enough and you'll most likely get plenty of chances to kill worgs later on. Fire it...and you'll have the deaths of anyone who dies on your consieance."

dauphinous
2006-10-10, 03:09 PM
Delphinia

"Whatever." Delphinia stows the arrow back into the quiver and stalks over, doing her best to ignore everything. As soon as she can locate her gear, she starts saddling up Gladi and getting her gear squared away.

HempRope
2006-10-10, 03:28 PM
Well... I'm glad the Werewolf Lord was willing to forgive energy drain. I might not have been so kind, but I would also have lost all muscle power after that spell, so...

Whew! Well, at least now I know that combination works...

Achkby traipses back to the camp with the others, exhausted but high on adrenaline.

I hope this time someone bothers to think about how we got into this mess. It isn't safe to have people wandering off without knowing it. Expecially since none of us are content to just let them go...

[hr]
As they approach the camp, Achkby drifts closer to Yix. "Thank you for... guarding me back there. I didn't mean to put you in any danger. I didn't know we'd be in any more danger. I thought there was already a fight starting. Sometimes I get a bit ahead of myself, and, well... thanks," he says earnestly, and smiles a bit guiltily.

sacreddeamon
2006-10-10, 04:03 PM
Thokk

*Running up to the lizardman*

"Ach lad, that was quite impressive back there. Very well done"

Spaz
2006-10-10, 05:45 PM
Yix

Yix looks up at Achkby sleepily as the adrenaline (assuming pseudodragons have adrenaline) from the encounter leaves his body, "Don't worry about it, things happen." Yix calmly says to Achkby before letting out a yawn.

runehawk
2006-10-10, 05:45 PM
Lizardkin Druid

The druid lessend his pace to accomodate the injured warrior beside him.

He doesn't reply to Voice-of-Thunder though.

He continued staring out into the horizon and walking towards the camp until he suddenly seems to return to himself and notices the warrior for the first time.

He impassively studies the dwarf's injuries before pronouncing with a mild crinkling of the brow,
"You are hurt"

He fishes around in his pack and produces a potion of healing which he offers to the dwarf.

He stands and turns to look at Callos back in the main group.
"One was wise to see danger I did not"

His eyes return to Thokk, with a face that showed a lot was going through his head before continuing to stalk back to camp.

Erikkin
2006-10-10, 08:42 PM
Fizahn:

Fizahn watches the werewolf and druid square off with mild disinterest. If they start fighting, I'm out of here. There's only so much I can do and that werewolf is more than capable of taking me out. He follows everyone back to camp, sort of trailing behind. Back to bed and I swear if there's another crisis, I'm sleeping right through it. Wonder what we're going to do about the werecat in our midsts though.

Lost Sage
2006-10-10, 09:22 PM
Kiah

As they walk back to camp Kiah looks around for any injuries. Thokk seems to be the only one so she moves over toward him and annouces her presence.

"Achm... It's Kiah" says her voice close by Thokk and the druid.

"I'll heal up the rest of those wounds. No need to be using potions on'em. Potions are expensive."

Kiah says a few words and a white glow infuses into Thokk's skin.
burn augury for CMW (2d8+6=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=672619)
burn obscuring mist for CLW (1d8+5=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=672622)

"All done" says Kiah's voice. "I'm glad it wheren't worse. It was looking pretty grim. I'm just heading over to talk to Ethan." just so they know i'm not still hanging around she thinks.

Kiah moves over to Ethan.

"Ethan, it's Kiah. I wanted to thank you for the potion. It looks like things worked out fine without really needing it. But at the time it seemed like the only thing to do. I don't know if you've thought about how to square it away. But I'm thinking about the communal fund we've been talking about. What'd ya think? Perhaps we can talk about it tomorrow after we get some sleep."

Dr._Bob
2006-10-10, 09:26 PM
The werewolf lord seems amused by Lumpy's sarcasm.

Looking up at the moon, which lies low on the horizon, the werewolf lord says, "It will be moonset soon. I look forward to sleeping off this sorcery."

Without another word, he returns to his wolf form and slips into the darkness towards the forest. The other werewolves do the same, leaving almost no trace as they disappear into the woods.

[hr]
You return to your camp cautiously, making sure that you are not being followed. The horses and mules are as you left them, and your gear remains undisturbed on the wagons.

Si'rene cautiously approaches the lizardman. "Druid, I beg your pardon for any offense I might inadvertently have caused by ... distracting you from attacking the werewolf. I hope that you can understand why I could not allow you to escalate the situation." The gray elf falls back quietly without waiting to see if her "apology" is accepted.

After an hour or two of rest, the party rises again with the sun and hits the road, bleary-eyed and fatigued.

The sky is gray, and after the druid sniffs the air, he says a single word, "Snow."

[hr]
You ride hard through the day, hoping to make it to a town or at least some shelter before being caught in what appears to be shaping up to be a pretty sizable winter storm.

The sky darkens in the late afternoon, and flakes of snow begin to fall, as predicted by the lizardman. The snowfall thickens just as night falls, and it looks like you will have no choice but to camp by the side of the road yet again. At the last minute, however, Delphinia, riding ahead on her dog, spots the lights of a town in the distance.

You quicken your pace through the now driving snow, and arrive at a small town. Your arrival surprises the night watch, huddling by a large brazier. They inform you that you have arrived at Phsant. A number of merchant caravans are hunkered down here to wait out the winter. No one in their right minds would be traveling the roads at this time of the year, their raised eyebrows seem to be saying.

You stable your mounts and search for lodging. You are turned away from several inns/taverns, including one which has a bawdy sign outside depicting a winking nun, hitching up the hem of her habit to reveal a shapely ankle and calf. With all of the merchants and their retinues settled in for the duration, most rooms are already spoken for.

Finally, you find a few rooms for rent at a weathered but relatively clean inn called "The Dancing Dragon." The building appears to have once been a mill of some kind, and the first floor tavern is covered with sawdust. After settling in to your rooms, you gather in the tavern for some warm cider, the house specialty.

OOC: Don't let me interrupt any conversations your characters want to have IC. Consider this just a convenient break point to recover and prepare for the next leg of the journey.

Lost Sage
2006-10-10, 11:37 PM
Kiah

Kiah is very quiet as they break camp. Something is definitely on her mind. During the day Kiah will approach Tiriel at an opportune moment and speaks to her quietly.

"Tiriel, we have to talk to Katrin. I say we because you need be there. You're her friend. Have you talked to her about her curse? Does she know what is going on? It will be a full moon again tonight by my count. Once in the castle, once last night, and once more. 3 days in the month as the lore goes."

"Last time it was a worg. This time? What if we find a village? What about children?" Kiah's intense eyes stare at Tiriel earnestly.

"The werewolf hinted that she will be able to control herself in time. I pray that he is right in that. But until that time we can't let her free on the full moon. We need to talk with her, and before the moon rises tonight."

dauphinous
2006-10-11, 08:02 AM
Delphinia

Riding out ahead was the best way to clear her head. There were worgs there and I let them live. The single thought rattled around in her mind, over and over. She didn't let it distract her from doing her job - watching out for danger and a town - but it certainly kept out any other thoughts. When she finally saw the lights, it had no positive effect on her mood. Her face went from careful neutrality to a frown.

She stood Gladi off to the side when they finally reached the gates and counted everyone as they filed in, making sure no one was missing. Then she followed the group from behind as they made the rounds, trying to find a place with rooms. She stayed behind in the stable when everyone else headed inside, brushing Gladi's hair more than was really necessary. But the motion was calming, comforting. She eventually put her arms around the dog's neck and buried her face in the warmth of her coat, unable to imagine finding solace with any of those people inside.

runehawk
2006-10-11, 08:24 AM
Lizardkin Druid

The druid watched wordlessly as the one who called herself Kiah healed Thokk. Noting that another human besides Cloudhair and Sunhair was a healer.

He notes by her gray-hair that she was of advanced age probably the oldest human in the pack now.

If she looks at him before leaving he will nod gratefully and relax his features to show that he does appreciate her actions.

Despite his wish to be on the move immediately, the sheer fatigue of the rest of his packmates moved him to allow them a few hours more of rest.

Helping Thokk to settle in, he stands watch with Aeroz for the remainder of the night. Partially out of guilt for not picking up on many things. His thoughts return to Sheyra many times and he paces restlessly.
[hr]
The next day he grunts with some disappointment when they catch sight of a human town and pulls his hood off not wishing to hide his true face.

He spends most fo the day in conversation with Trinark learning about the developments of the night he hadn't been able to grasp.

blackfox
2006-10-11, 08:24 AM
Katrin

Katrin rides silently, lost in throught. She obviously is troubled, but she doesn't want to talk about it. Whenever she is adressed by another party member, she simply shakes her head and stares at the ground, looking even more miserable.

When they reach the inn, Katrin leaves her pack in her room and takes her food to seat in a shadowy corner of the inn.

sacreddeamon
2006-10-11, 09:13 AM
Thokk

*To Kiah*
"Ach, thankee Lass, twas a nasty scrape he gave me"

*Thokk rides most of the way in silence, mulling over the developments of the previous night before riding up to Achlkby*

"Lad, that was rather impressive back there. You normally seem to be tha calm one, rather unwillin to engage. What happened?"

HempRope
2006-10-11, 10:50 AM

In the morning, seeing no one else addressing the issues that got them into trouble last night, Achkby has the urge to make an announcement. Instead, he consults Aeroz.

"Aeroz," he asks, "Do we know what happened last night? I know a lot of people want to blame Callos for his attack earlier, but that's not it. Katrin and Callos both wandered off without knowing what they were doing. Don't you think we have to figure out why, and if it's going to happen again?"
[hr]

Impressive? Calm? Wow.

Achkby smiles.
"Thank you. Though you're right... I sort of lost control there. Usually, I do try to be... calm. Yes. I kind of... didn't really know what was going on, see. When the Druid started casting spells, I thought we were going on the attack, and... did my part. But I didn't really... well, I was pretty worked up from seeing that werewolf cut you up. He wasn't... he wasn't any more a part of the forest than we were, and... well, I don't like seeing anyone cut you up like that."

kariokie
2006-10-11, 11:17 AM
Nyssa

She went to the room she would share with her brother, and removed her furred cloaks. Her face fell from tiredness, and, for just a second in the privacy of her room, it was obvious how unearthly she looked. Tall, thin, with pale skin and long dark hair. Her grey eyes so pale right now it's as if she had no irises at all, just black dots of pupils set in white. She was beautiful, but not exactly natural.

Then she smiles again, and Nyssa looks like the jovial, kind woman she is.

After a minute more collecting herself, she heads downstairs, her deep purple robes -- a mark of the responsibility she inherited, even if a mostly moot one -- swishing quietly. I have stayed out of these people's pain too long. She had assumed someone more appropriate would come forward to aid the quiet ranger, but that had not happened.

She enters the stables silently, standing just outside Gladi's stall, looking at Delphinia. Her knowledge might not translate as well to other races, but she would try. Meet her on her level, but not in a way it seems condescending. She won't want to look up at you. Don't touch her, she doesn't know touch. Don't ask, it will smell of obligation.

Nyssa kneels at the door of the stall, a position made comfortable by years of prayer. "Tell me."

dauphinous
2006-10-11, 11:51 AM
Delphinia

Who? Delphinia looks up. Her face is drawn and weary; the wrinkles around her eyes and mouth seem especially deep. Nyssa. She seems like- Like a nice kid. "Stay away from me, kid. Everyone dies and I'm tired of it." She looks back at the dog. "Sometimes it's because you're too stupid to do anything about, and sometimes it's because you can't do anything about. But I'm damn tired of watching people I care about die, no matter the reason. It happens, then it happens again, and I-."

She looks at Nyssa again, expression tightly controlled and mouth set in a grim line. "Why'n the nine hells are you out here talking to me? Don't you have that brother of yours to harrass?"

kariokie
2006-10-11, 12:12 PM
Nyssa

She says with all solemnity, "My brother said his hunger for harassment was completely sated. So I came looking for another victim." A small bow of her head indicates she knows she's intruding.

"You've lost a great deal in your life. Please, tell me."

She's pushing just a little, unwilling to let it rest. So many people took the easy way out of their grief, bottling it up. It took strength to confront it, to make it part of you, to accept. Sometimes it took more strength that anyone could have. Which is where Nyssa came in. Push just a little, not so far that they break, but far enough that they see something new in the pain.

Like any wound, grief hurt when inflicted, but it also hurt when treated.

dauphinous
2006-10-11, 12:30 PM
Delphinia

Delphinia's eyes narrow momentarily. No one actually wants to hear about this stuff. "What difference does it make to you? I'm fine. I can do my job. I've got your back, and you don't have to pretend like you care to pay me back for it." She's lost the energy to be anything other than tired at this point, and her whole body shows it, from the droop in her shoulders to the slight dullness in her eyes.

Callos_DeTerran
2006-10-11, 12:37 PM
Callos

He shouldn't be this quiet. Something had gone wrong with the spell keeping him placid. It had to be. Frantic fingers flipped through the pages of the heavy tome, looking for any sort of precedance for this kind of event.

There wasn't one.

Maybe it wasn't the spell, maybe he was....No! There's no way his master would have made him kill someone! It completely went against the clauses in their deal! Perhaps it hadn't been Jintan's fault and he had accidentally killed him...

Trembling fingers shut the tome, fingers digging into the thick leather binding of the book before it was slammed down. Fingers wove together to hold a downcast head. He was done here for the day. There wasn't anyway that he could deal with the jabs and jeers of his 'colleagues' today. Not anymore.

No. What he needed to do was go home. Heat up a nice cup of tea and bask in the glow of home for awhile. Just get away from all the stink of carrion. Maybe she would be done at the bakery and he could go visit. That would surely clear his head and put his priroties back into place...

Opal eyes snapped open and Callos straightened up inside of the cart. He had dozed off again, apprantly something that he would have to stop. A single long yawn escaped from him as he wearily opened his eyes wider and began to look around at the surrondings. Snow....Wonderful.

Later he found himself staring into the depths of his cider cup. The warmth of the inn helped to heat up his cold bones and he wryly thought to himself that perhaps he was getting on in years. Then he thought of Kiah. She was most certainly older yet still out adventuring.

However it wasn't the older woman who had dominance over his thoughts. It was a younger one. One who stirred up bad memories and one he needed to resolve the tension with. That was the reason he found his way to Tiriel's room after drinking his fill of warm cider. An almost nostalogic feeling swept over him before he shook it away.

Soon he was seated on the floor with his back to the wall. He could wait. Callos was used to waiting.

kariokie
2006-10-11, 01:00 PM
Nyssa

Do you believe people usually just pretend to care? She re-evaluates quickly, seeing the conversation play out in her mind if she speaks those words. That wasn't the right direction. It takes the focus away from the ranger and her pain, which was exactly what Delphinia was trying to do by questioning Nyssa's motives. Clever.

Nyssa sees the exhaustion in the older woman, but still she presses on. Just a little more. I know you're strong enough.

"I am here because I wish to be. Why are you?" Her face is kind and open, but behind it her mind is screaming at Delphinia. See it, damn you. You're here because you don't want to be alone. Because you want to talk. Because you don't want to bury yourself in grief. Because that's a waste of a life. You don't have to admit it to me, but you have to see it! Her grey eyes are locked with Delphinia's, and Nyssa will not look away.

Spaz
2006-10-11, 01:32 PM
Yix

After gettin settled in the inn, and having the warm cider settle in his stomache Yix feels it is appropriate to try and change the mood of the party. The little dragon gets up on the table, and begins what is supposed to be some kind of dancing.

dauphinous
2006-10-11, 01:38 PM
Delphinia

The question caught her off guard. And she fails utterly to suppress that reaction, letting it show clearly on her face. She breaks the gaze, not wanting to look into Nyssa's damn calm eyes anymore. Dammit. I know why I'm here. And she does too. I'm so damn transparent this kid who just met me can see it. She closes her eyes and rests her forehead in her palm, elbow on her knee. "It's that obvious." It's not a question, just a flat statement of fact. And here she is offering the one thing I want more than anything...and I'm shooting her down. Because I'm an idiot, I guess. A damn fool idiot.

"I miss him." She'd never said those words to another person before. To the dog, sure, but that was different. A person could judge. A person could tell her she's stupid. A person could...say all kinds of things. She doesn't look at Nyssa, because she's not sure she wants to hear whatever the girl might say.

kariokie
2006-10-11, 03:01 PM
Nyssa

You hide it well. She would want to hear that. People always wanted to hear that -- that their thoughts were their own. It wasn't true, though. Everyone sent their feelings spinning off from them all the time, throwing their emotions out there like hundreds of tiny, sparkling glass balls. Filling the air.

No one ever took the time to try and catch the balls, though. So people were safe, walled inside their own heads, sure no one knew what they felt. Because no one could catch.

Nyssa moves forward on her knees, stopping when she's less then an arm's length from Delphinia. She adjusts herself, sitting cross-legged on the ground. "Who?"

dauphinous
2006-10-11, 03:28 PM
Delphinia

She turns her head to look at Nyssa. She's actually interested. Unbelieveable. "Orrin. He was...a druid." What a pathetic description. As if I could even hope to capture him in words anyway. "When my village was attacked, he managed to save a few of us." She stopped, fighting down the memories. Those were such old memories, and usually held no sway over her, but the worgs had stirred it all up. Just like they always do. She shook her head, not wanting to relive it right now. Or ever again if she could help it.

"He died about 5 years ago. I had been traveling with him for a lot of years. And- He was human. He died in his sleep."

sacreddeamon
2006-10-11, 03:57 PM
Thokk

*To Achlkby*

"My thanks, lad. We all get cut up, some more then others. At this point I'm more afraid when something doesnt hurt then when it does. Lets you know you are alive. Same with dreams, but dreams are a whole lot spookier"

kariokie
2006-10-11, 03:58 PM
Nyssa

Nyssa nods, and resists the urge to reach out to Delphinia.

She has trusted you. You need to offer something. And perhaps she can help in return. "I will tell you something I have told no one. Perhaps I am where you were before Orrin passed. You might have wisdom for me."

"Some day, Nolan will... will be beyond this world. With every meditation, and every prayer, he grows better than this place. He will transcend his need for anything on it." She stops to collect herself. "Including me. It's like he's dying, but worse, because he will still live. One day, I will be alone." She smiles sadly. Some things can't be helped. He has his path. "I must enjoy every minute I have with him. They are fleeting."

She stands, and rubs her arms, trying to warm herself. "Shall we continue inside over a hot cider? I want to know more of Orrin. And of you."

HempRope
2006-10-11, 04:05 PM
Oh, dearie me, soul-bearing surrounds us...

Achkby looks at Thokk for a moment, his brows furrowed and eyes conveying trouble and uncertainty under his 'calm.'
"Yes," he says succintly, and pauses before elaborating.

"They can be. Though dreams can also... they aren't always spooky. But often powerful."

bhdrake
2006-10-11, 05:12 PM
Lumpy

Lumpy settles down at his table after a long silent trip, mulling over his cider alone. The events of past nights hadn't leant him much time for introspection, and it was always good to find easy moments among the hard. His expression is thoughtful, and his typical silence some seems more deep than usual.

Aeroz

"Mothers husband? But...oh..."

Aeroz says nothing for moment.

"Ok Edgar, I'd like to say its been a pleasure talking to you, but you, my friend, are too sullen. Its depressing. You should try lightening up and stop being so linear. My father was, and he almost blew me to bits."

All'a this is just proof I'm doing things right, everything I've seen. Hydras, worgs, werewolves, it's all the same. Worth is based on appearance, not nature, I seen it a hundred times. That's why I live how I live.

That's a crock and you know it. No one's ever called you sullen before. Why?

Simple. That's because I ain't. I'm defensive, fer the same reason. It's the only way ta survive. You know I can't never live with humans. Among them, mebbe, but never with.

Really? When was the last time you ever gave anyone a chance to honestly call you anything?

I hear folk honestly say things all the time. First impressions are the truest reaction.

Are you sure that's not what you've made them into? Why would he say it if he didn't believe it to be true?

That's too easy. Same as always, ta get a rise outta me. Happens every day.

A rise, mmm? A rise was calling you ugly. We moved past them a long time ago. He was responding honestly, just as you did. You're making this too easy.

Bah, that's one outta a thousand. Ain't no gauge on my life. Yer splitting hairs.

I'm splitting hairs now? You're ignoring them. These things happen every day, as often as you care to look for them. You're only ignoring them. That does nothing. Nothing.

With a soft sigh, Lumpy drains the last of his ale and goes to refill his mug. Rather than returning to his seat, he looks around for someone else to sit down with.

sacreddeamon
2006-10-11, 05:58 PM
Thokk

"Lad, powerful or not, they be spooky. Ever had a 'Dream of Mirrors?' Tis to let the mind wander in places it shouldnt. Absolute proof that yer are livin, but by the hammer it will take the nerve straight out of ye"

*As Thokk talks the color drains slightly from his face, reliving the Dream*

Lost Sage
2006-10-11, 06:06 PM
Kiah

Kiah sits eating quietly in the common room, mulling over all the things that have happened over the last few days. She is especially concerned about Katrin, but there where so many things going on

She looks around and spots Lumpy brooding over a cider he's a good person i think, but it seems he keeps trying to convince himself otherwise. i've been meaning to talk to him.. As he looks around the room she tries to catch his eye. Then she raises her mug as an invitation.

bhdrake
2006-10-11, 06:21 PM
Lumpy

Noting Kiah, Lumpy changes course to intercept her table. He slumps into his chair unceremoniously, pausing briefly before initating conversation.

Well, you can't just sit there. You have to say something too. Something reasonably polite this time, hmm?

Yeah, yeah, lay off it already.

He swirls his cider a bit, staring down at the rippling fluid before looking up to the older woman,

"Still sticking on after last night? That's the norm, not the exception. We've had worse nights."

dauphinous
2006-10-11, 07:58 PM
Delphinia

Delphinia sighs heavily. She's sharing. Huh. With me, no less. Huh. Then she cracks a small smile. "Yeah, ok." She stands up and ruffles Gladi's hair. She throws a blanket over the dog, then follows Nyssa inside. She scan the room quickly, locating Nolan looking stern and serious, sitting in corner. She makes her way over and sets herself down on the floor next to him. With a rather serious look on her face, she says loud enough for him to hear, "Look at that. Don't even need a book to sit on in here."

runehawk
2006-10-11, 08:03 PM
Lizardkin Druid

The reptilian had fetched mugs for himself and TRinark and had noticed Katrin sitting in a corner and was about to bring one when he caught sight of Tiriel. Trusting in her leadership he leaves the brunette be.
[hr]
He'd sat between Trinark and Thokk and sipped and sniffed his drink intermittently, remembering tasting something similar in sheyra's house back i Teflamn.

He listened with interest to the conversation beween Thokk and Achkby. One involving dreams. Just like his visions.

"Mirrorss?"
he asked.

A claw on his hand taps to the beat of Yix's dancing absent-mindedly.

HempRope
2006-10-11, 08:03 PM

Achkby just watched Thokk for a moment as he sinks into his own memories. When he comes back, Achkby nods to himself, looking down at Bess under him, and says, "They have that power, yes. I've never dreamt of mirrors, but... other things. I have had... vivid dreams. And they have affected me. Yes."

Ooh. Simu'ed. Anyway, I was thinking this conversation was still on the road. Thokk gets the deciding vote. Where are we, buddy?

Ludo
2006-10-11, 10:06 PM
Nolan

The Glade was eluding him this evening. It usually wasn't hard for Nolan to find that place of clarity within but for some reason he just couldn't focus. The noise of the tavern wasn't the problem, it was nothing compared to the nattering of his sister. The dancing pseudodragon? Not quite... but perhaps closer to the mark. Just who were these people they were travelling with anyway?

Nolan closes his eyes and sits up straight with his palms facing up on his lap. He relaxes his neck and lets his head roll in circles loosening up any tension that remains.

Mercenaries, blast-happy wizards, a lizardman, a drow, two lycanthropes... and who knows what other secrets are lurking in these people. Is it really safe for Nyssa to be travelling with these people? Not that his opinion matters. No doubt Nyssa was having a grand old time putting her nose where it didn't belong, trying to fish out secrets best left uncovered.

At once, Nolan's senses tell him his sister had returned from wherever she was. He opens his eyes and sees her enter with the halfling ranger. As Nyssa steps to the bar, Nolan nods a greeting to Delphinia as she makes her way over to him.

"I see nature has taught you well. If you cannot shake a predator, find it better prey to stalk." He laughs awkwardly. "I'm not sure Nyssa is so easily shaken though."

Lost Sage
2006-10-11, 10:09 PM
Kiah

he looks like he doesn't know what to say. not much chance to practice under that gruff exterior i bet. probably all the jibbs at being a halforc. well, that's one thing i'm not going to bring up, i'm sure he's had enough of it.

"Yup, I'm sticking around. At least until I figure up what's happening with this necromancer."

"But ya, that was more then I am used to. You seem to handle it pretty well. You've got a good head for tactics and good instincts.... What do you think of it all? It must be a bit frustrating."

kuja.girl
2006-10-11, 11:30 PM
Tiriel

Kiah

Kiah is very quiet as they break camp. Something is definitely on her mind. During the day Kiah will approach Tiriel at an opportune moment and speaks to her quietly.

"Tiriel, we have to talk to Katrin. I say we because you need be there. You're her friend. Have you talked to her about her curse? Does she know what is going on? It will be a full moon again tonight by my count. Once in the castle, once last night, and once more. 3 days in the month as the lore goes."

"Last time it was a worg. This time? What if we find a village? What about children?" Kiah's intense eyes stare at Tiriel earnestly.

"The werewolf hinted that she will be able to control herself in time. I pray that he is right in that. But until that time we can't let her free on the full moon. We need to talk with her, and before the moon rises tonight."

Tiriel's face pales as Kiah talks, she glances over at Katrine, and then back at Kiah. Tiriel takes a moment to rein in her what would have been her first reponse before talking.
"I really have no idea what you are talking about, and I doubt I need advice as to how to handle what isn't your business, thank you.
Tiriel picks up her bag and heads towards Si'rene and Katrine, more than a little disturbed and angry that, that woman is trying to tell her what to do.
i didn't have a problem with her before, but, damn it, she didn't even give me a chance to breath. and what the devil was that about a curse? whatever. Katrine and i will be having a talk... soon.

Tiriel realizes that she has a scowl on her face when Si'rene gives her a questioning look. Tiriel shrugs and mounts her horse. She stays close by her two friends and eventually leans toward Katrine and says, just loud enough for Si'rene to also overhear, "We're going to talk about this, right?[hr]

Tiriel is relieved to that they have found shelter before the storm got more unbearable. As much as they'd all like to hurry, travling with out being well rested, and feed, in such weather was just begging for trouble.
She smiles as Yix dances, noticing the parallel between the inn's mascot and their own. She orders some plain food and mild ale to be delived to her room. She then tells Katrine, "I'm going upstairs, feel free to join me." She also avoids conversation with Kiah.

bhdrake
2006-10-11, 11:56 PM
Lumpy

Lumpy shrugs, speaking with deliberate slowness,

"I've gotten around a fair bit in my day. Near a decade working militias and a spell in a right proper army. Nights and wilderness-survival was my specialty, aside from beating the Hell outta people."

He shifts, pausing in his recollection to gulp down some of his cider while he thinks,

"Like ya wouldn't believe. I appreciate a fair bit'a regiment when it comes ta my living- combat especially. This rabble needs order, there's no doubt. I obviously ain't in no position ta tell them that, but that's how it is regardless."

Frojoe21
2006-10-12, 12:52 AM
Aeroz

In the morning, seeing no one else addressing the issues that got them into trouble last night, Achkby has the urge to make an announcement. Instead, he consults Aeroz.

"Aeroz," he asks, "Do we know what happened last night? I know a lot of people want to blame Callos for his attack earlier, but that's not it. Katrin and Callos both wandered off without knowing what they were doing. Don't you think we have to figure out why, and if it's going to happen again?"

"To Tell you the truth, I don't know what to think right now. I don't even pretend to know what goes on in Callos's head, and as for Katrin and her friends, I'm even more puzzed. One part of me wants to kill them for what they did, the other part knows that they need to stay around. If Callos wants to wander off in the middle of the night and fire off lightning bolts at dogs or werewolves, thats his perogative." Aeroz responds to Achby as he eases into a chair.
[hr]

Turning his attention to the conversation at hand, Aeroz listens closely. He had been told that his kind did not dream, and that the images that appeared in revierie were nothing more then mental tasks or excercises. Since when was falling an excercise though?

He takes a sip of his ale and continues to listen without speaking.

kariokie
2006-10-12, 01:08 AM
Nyssa

She smiles to Kiah on her way in, an open invitation presented. Take your loner to meet my loners and we'll have a grand time, she seems to say, tilting her head towards where Nolan and Delphinia now sit.

Nyssa weaves her way to the bar and purchases four ciders. She moves to where Delphinia and Nolan rest, managing to carry the four drinks carefully in her two hands. She gives one to each, and keeps two for herself. Sitting on the ground next to Delphinia, she smiles warmly to them both.

If stoicism was an arm-wrestling contest, which of you would win? Instead of asking that, though, she searches through her mind for common ground between the two. "Nolan and I have not travelled this far north before, Delphinia. Is this as cold as it becomes?" She drowns the first drink quickly, and begins to sip the second. "And it won't kill you to drink some cider, Nolan. It might even make you tolerable." Her mocking belies everything she said in the stable to Delphinia.

Phasm
2006-10-12, 01:14 AM
Lissa

Lissa has been uncharacteristically quiet since the fight ended, riding with the group in silence. Although, given the way she was huddled over Cloudy's neck, it's entirely possible that the bitter cold finally caught up with her; the small folk tend to get cold faster than tall folk. Once Lissa sees Cloudy safely stabled (paying a stableboy to give him a good grooming and warm blankets) and enters the inn, the others can clearly see her blue lips and chattering teeth.

A nice hot mug of spiced cider and a heaping plate of dinner does wonders to thaw out the frozen gnome. "Ahhh... so much better!" Lissa sips from her second mug with a contented smile. "I thought I was going to freeze solid on that gods-forsaken tree branch. Definitely should've memorized endure elements last night." At Lumpy's comment, she nods emphatically. "Can't believe I'm actually speaking in favor of restrictions, but we definitely need a real leader with this many people. Sheyra kind of filled that role... before..." She looks down for a moment, then camouflages her expression behind a long drink of cider. "Um. Anyway, who would everyone actually agree to follow? That has experience in herding cats and is stupid enough to take the job?" Lissa sighs, absently carving on the bar with a dagger. "Normally I can't stand the breed, but we really could use a paladin here. People look up to 'em, they've usually got the experience to make combat decisions on the fly... and that whole 'honor and duty' thing will always get a paladin to take on a crappy job." Paladin... divine fighter... Dark eyes light up with the spark of an Idea. Lissa drains her mug and sets it down on the bar. "'Scuse me, I just remembered something." She sets off for the stairs, the direction she last spotted Tiriel going.

Lost Sage
2006-10-12, 01:18 AM
Kiah

Morning

what the hell? she damn well does know what i'm talking about... or enough that it matters. kids! so wrapped up in their own little worlds they can't see the woods for the trees. well i'm sorry, there are lives at stake here.

Kiah marches over to where Tiriel is mounting her horse. Kiah addresses all 3 of them in an annoyed voice:

"Since I've just been told by Tiriel here to mind my own business I will do that. But the 3 of you need to make sure that you mind yours. You need to get to the bottom of these night trips and fast."

She looks at Katrin and her face softens. She continues in a gentler tone "It's better to know. No matter what, it is always better to know."

She turns quickly and returns to her packing, angrily stuffing things in her bag.

----
The Dancing Dragon

Kiah takes a small sip of her cider and considers lumpys words.

"Well, I've only been here a couple of days but if it's worth anything, I would say that nobody is in a position to do that. They's just not the type."

Kiah stops, considering, then continues. "Maybe you think you don't have an influence but you do. People respect you and your opinion..."

Kiah voice trails off and she stares at the table, giving Lumpy time to digest her comment. maybe that will help. i don't think he accepts just how much he is repected... and accepted

Kiah nods and smiles at Nyssa as she walks in. It's clear that she has invited them over with that look, but there are things to finish here first.

"Well, you know why I'm here. Why are you here?"

bhdrake
2006-10-12, 08:20 AM
Lumpy

What's she playing at?

She's not playing at anything.

Eh, how're ya supposed ta tell that?

You just have to know sometimes.

"That's fairly complicated. I've got an unfulfilled oath with the three women I still need ta figure out how ta repay. Aside from that, I've apprently been deathmarked by both hordes of undeadand other parties unless this business gets seen through."

Lumpy leans back uneasily for the moment.

Every day you try that one with yourself. You know it's not the truth.

Bullsh-

No, it's true. That's a smokescreen and you know it. What good has it done you? Honestly?

He sighs softly, then shrugs,

"But I mostly just ain't felt like leaving. I like to keep moving usually, but I ain't had the urge yet this time."

dauphinous
2006-10-12, 09:31 AM
Delphinia

Delphinia tries to smirk, but is just too damn tired and joyless at the moment; it comes across as a half-scowl. She takes the mug and pulls a swallow from it, then holds it in both hands and looks into it, swishing the liquid around a little. "This isn't my usual hunting ground. I've been...wandering around a lot lately. We just happened up this way, so I don't know if the weather is normal or not, or if this is as bad as it gets." Then she looks up. "Thanks." It isn't completely clear exactly what she is thanking Nyssa for, but she goes on after a short pause. "I don't usually carry a lot of money, and I need what I've got to get some more arrows, I think."

Lost Sage
2006-10-12, 04:20 PM
Kiah

Kiah watches Lumpy's face. She hears beneath the words...

camaraderie, friendship, belonging...

unbidden, images flood through her mind...

Kiah, a young orphan child, sits on a small hard bed in a monastery cell. Dry desiccated old priests walk past in the halls, talking dry desiccated old thoughts. Tears fall on her plain brown cloak as she thinks of running through green fields... her family...

Kiah, a young woman, excited and uncertain in her wedding dress. Not knowing if she is doing the right thing, but desperately looking to regain the bright sunshine and green fields of her memory.

Kiah, her children gone, her husband dead, looking at the faces of people that she thought she knew. Their laughter and ridicule and misplaced pity as she tries to tell them of her meeting with a long forgotten god.

Yes, you could say I've been trying to belong for a long time.

Other images take there place...The support of the old potion master... The free flow of her grandchildren in their games... The feeling of the forest after a rain...

Yes, belonging is a fine thing...

Kiah nods. "Ya, I can see how this lot would grow on one. All different, yet all somehow the same. Diversity is what Ehlonna called. 'The power of life is in the depths of it's diversity' is what she told me. I'm still trying to figure out what that means. All I know is it feels better - like the difference between a forest and a corn field.

Ah, but I'm blathering."

Kiah eyes Lumpy speculatively "I've been thinking allot about those 3 women also. You've had more experience with them then I have. You know that Katrin is probably a lycanthrope? - just started I think and uncontrollable. Not the wolf or rat form thank the heavens. But they don't want me sticking my nose into their business and told me to shove off. But since you have an interest in them also... well I thought you might have some thoughts on the matter."

sacreddeamon
2006-10-12, 04:33 PM
Thokk

*Thokk moves slightly to make room for the lizardman, and then takes a deep draught to restore some color to his face*

"Aye, the Dream of Mirrors. Something we were taught to guard against. Means you arnt in charge of yer own actions. All ye can see is reflections of yourself, each distored by the truth. Tis a tad unsettling, to say the least. Scaley, you been getting them, or just somethin' similar?"

bhdrake
2006-10-12, 04:58 PM
Lumpy

Lumpy shrugs again, obviously a habitual motion for him during conversation,

"There ain't that much ta it actually. The merc company I was with in Velprintalar hired on a contract with them ta see them through the Underdark safely. They were real secretive about the whole thing, I never really talked ta them much. Never filled my end'a the bargain neither, ta my discredit. Drow attack killed or captured everyone 'cept me and them, I figure. Didn't meet up with them until later, and now here we are."

He drums his fingers against the tabletop thoughtfully,

"If the girl's got any cat in her, it's news ta me. Ordinarily that wouldn't be muchuva problem, but it's starting ta muck our business too. I reckon it needs dealing with, but I doubt they'll wanna hear it from me."

Lost Sage
2006-10-12, 05:20 PM
Kiah

"I'll bet a platinum to a silver that she does. But other then locking her in a cell I don't know what to do about it. I let them know in no uncertain terms that they have to do something about it, but I haven't seen anything yet."

Kiah pauses, reflecting...

"Secretive eh?" Kiah's face forms into a worried frown. "They met you on the road right? Do you know why they left Telflamm bound for Rashemen, at the same time as you?"

kariokie
2006-10-12, 05:55 PM
Nyssa

Nyssa smiles at the ranger. "If you haven't gotten a room yet, Delphinia, you're welcome to stay with my brother and I. Provided you can stand his incessant chatter." She gives Nolan a soft shove, some emotion showing on her face. Talk, damn you. Get out of your head. He might not notice the change in himself, but Nolan was downright loquacious six years ago, compared to now. Each year it gets more lonely. "Though I believe someone is holding your share of the gold from defeating the hydrae."

She looks around the room. "Most of the merchant caravans seem to be holed up here for the winter. I wonder if there will be enough of a break in the snow to continue onwards." Nyssa shakes her head. "No use worrying about what we can't change."

Moving herself closer to the fire, Nyssa rubs her arms again. "This weather doesn't seem to bother either of you. I know I'm harping on it. I suppose I just feel it more than others." The drink was already going to her head, and her body was slowly warming from the alcohol. She shares that warmth with Delphinia in a kind smile. "Anyhow, you haven't been north. So where have you been?"

blackfox
2006-10-12, 06:28 PM
Katrin

Katrin avoids Tiriel's gaze. Her response is in a hushed whisper. "I'm sorry, Tiriel... I can't, not right now, not today. I'm dangerous... I'm a danger to everyone in the city. I have to get out of here tonight."

Katrin rises and goes upstairs briefly, and leaves wearing her cold-weather clothes, before anyone can stop her.

dauphinous
2006-10-12, 07:53 PM
Delphinia

"Oh, we went all over the place, just not north. The cold is bad for...for traveling. Especially as you get older." She falls silent again and takes another drink. "It makes me a little stiff these days, in the morning. But that's ok, Gladi makes up for it. I can warm up slow while I'm riding her. She's still practically just a pup." But she won't live anywhere near as long as I will.

Erikkin
2006-10-12, 08:55 PM
Fizahn:

Fizahn spends the time of the trip wandering around eavesdropping on various conversations. At the inn, he approaches Tiriel, Katrin, and Si'Rene. "I'm just going to make it abundantly clear that I have not been minding my own business. There's some problem with Katrin becoming an uncontrollable beast tonight and once a month. I happen to have a plan that might be Thokk-esque, but I believe will stop her from killing anyone. Suppose we knock her out before she goes to bed. She can't kill anyone if she's unconcious right? Then, all we have to do is have a watch over her to make sure she doesn't have any super recovery in her 'kitty' form." Fizahn produces a toothy grin and leaves telling them to think about it.

HempRope
2006-10-12, 09:14 PM

As the Druid moves into their conversation, Achkby goes silent, staring into his mug before downing it and getting another, which also absorbs him.

Tiamat damn it, why can't anyone here keep outta others' business?!

He does, however, smile welcomingly at Aeroz, and wistfully watches Lissa leave the commonroom in a hurry.

Ludo
2006-10-12, 09:33 PM
Nolan

Nolan did his best to make it look like he was listening with interest. But he knew that wouldn't be enough for his sister. Nyssa's prodding wouldn't stop if he didn't make some larger effort to engage Delphinia in "meaningful" exchange.

"Would it kill you to talk to other people? Mortally wound you to show some interest in their lives?"

"But I'm not interested in their lives."

"Fine. Then don't ask me why people talk to you through me."

"I didn't. I actually prefer it that way..."

"Impossible. Simply impossible."

Nolan lets out a sigh and asks politely, "So, just how old are you?"

bhdrake
2006-10-12, 09:42 PM
Lumpy

Lumpy considers this for a moment,

"Ya know, I can't recall ever getting it said in so many words. Some business of other they were put up ta as a ruse. As I understand it, they've been getting duped pretty thouroughly in this whole mess. almost makes me-" He cuts off as he catches sight of Katrin slipping out, "'Scuse me, darlin'."

Slamming his mug onto the table he rises hurridly, bolting for the door after her. He hoped to catch up quickly- he wasn't dressed for the weather anymore, and most of his heavy clothes were in his room. Pushing his way through the portal, he casts a glance about the road, a call on his lips,

"Just hold on now!"

dauphinous
2006-10-12, 09:45 PM
Delphinia

That caught her attention. She started to scowl for just a moment. Oh, stop being such a grump. He's trying to be friendly. Just no talent for it. She stops and tries again to crack a smirk, getting a little closer this time. At least, it looks a little more like a tired person finding a little humor than a scowl. "I guess that's why she," a vague gesture at Nyssa, "does all the talking. You got no tact whatsoever, do you, kid?" A smile gets a little closer to fruition. "I've been in the world a little over 50 years. Halfway across, as some of the folk like to say."

Lost Sage
2006-10-12, 10:39 PM
Kiah

"Well, tack is definitely not his strong point. She's gonna hate me for this. Let's go face the music."

Kiah pushes back her chair and quickly follows Lumpy outside.

Spaz
2006-10-12, 10:44 PM
Yix

Yix eventually gets tired from his dancing and goes and slumps down by Achkby. "How is that stuff?" Yix questions as Achkby gets another drink.

runehawk
2006-10-13, 12:34 AM
Lizardkin Druid

The reptilian blinks at Thokk's question.

"No", he replies, rather abruptly.

He digs into the recent arrow wound almost as if the pain of that wound would dim the dull ache of loss he felt.

"The spirits of my people watch over us. The sleep-visions have never been ill for me"

Semuanya...Is it as I feared?.. am I lost? not one of the people no more?

"The eye of my mind has been blind after Tef-lam. After we were given that thing and told to take it north."

His claws cut grooves into the table as his frustration manifests.

He drains the last of his cider and slams his mug down.

It must be these warmblood ...feelings.. that are poisoning me

"I am not well.", he announces suddenly.
He gets up, an arm on both Trinark and Thokk.

His manner while abrupt, antisocial and aloof is generally not offensive to the people who really know him. But it is very clear that there's something in his mind.

sacreddeamon
2006-10-13, 01:11 AM
Thokk

"Ach Scaley, sit back down and have another round. This is probally going to be one of the last times we can sit and relax, its the best thing that clears my mind so I dont have a Dream of Mirrors. Tis a rathers personal thing, I have had them since I became a Slayer

*Thokk drains his mug yet again, refills, and offers to refiill Ss*

"Its kinda a sign for us. When you get the dream, you know its time to become a Slayer. I had mine that night...

It doesnt always bode evil, mind you. Just reminds yerself you are still on tha path, that something still needs to be done. Each one is different, each time something in you arises and is reflected. I take it as word for Moradin himself, somethin' that needs perfection or reflection upon

HempRope
2006-10-13, 10:08 AM

"Good," says Achkby, smiling at Yix. "Here, have a try. Wet your throat after that nifty dancing."

[hr]
Achkby looks up as Lumpy flies out of the room. He then looks briefly at Aeroz.
"Well, at least someone's doing something," he tells his mug loudly.

He looks up again as Kiah exits.
She is ridiculous!
"What does she think she's doing?" he remarks quietly.

Achkby pointedly ignores the Druid's overdramatic declarations. He listens carefully to Thokk, however.
Maybe I was a bit harsh to Aeroz. He's a good guy. Problem is, he doesn't know how good. Dammit, we need someone in charge.

Spaz
2006-10-13, 01:28 PM
Yix

Yix takes Achkby's drink and sips it a few times. Finding it to his pallete he ends up drinking most of the beverage before realizing he had done so. "Oops..." is all Yix says before hurrying over to the bar, which is quite a feat for such a tiny dragon.
Upon reaching he looks at the bartender and asks for two of whatever Achkby was drinking. Afer paying for and receiving the drinks he finds that he has a problem with bringing them both back.

kariokie
2006-10-13, 06:30 PM
Nyssa

Nyssa smiles at Delphinia's response to Nolan, but doesn't intercede. Maybe he'll get better at talking if I don't try and help him every time he says something wrong.

Instead, she finishes her second mug of cider and heads to the bar to buy a replacement. Smiling tipsily at Yix, she takes his two mugs and carries them back to the table where he was sitting with Achkby. She sets them down and looks at the psuedodragon. "I hope you will no longer consider consuming my owl at Nolan's behest now that I have done you this small favor." She smiles, and starts to head back to the bar.

Dr._Bob
2006-10-13, 08:48 PM
The druid busies himself working with a sprig of wood and some leather twine he has produced from one of his many pouches. After a short period of time he shows Thokk what he has created - the wood has been bent into a perfect circle, and the leather cord has been intricately woven into a symmetric web holding the circle together. A small open circle has been left in the center of the web. A pair of feathers has been tied to the bottom of the circle, and a leather loop has been tied to the top.

For the more devout members of the party, the barkeep mentions that there are many makeshift shrines throughout the town, catering to the itinerant caravan members. The only "permanent" temple is a small one dedicated to Shaundakul.

[hr]
With the party sleep-deprived and now suddenly warm and cozy with bellies full of the steaming, cinnamony, mildly alcoholic cider, eyelids begin to droop involuntarily, and one or two of catch yourselves almost nodding off at the tables.

Kiah and Lumpy see Katrin slip outside followed closely by Si'rene. Both shake off their sleepiness and plunge outside into the rising snow storm.

Katrin and Si'rene are not immediately visible, but she has left a clear track in the newfallen snow. Si'rene's tracks are also visible, and the elf is clearly pursuing the shadowdancer.

Kiah and Lumpy quicken their pace and soon hear voices up ahead. Si'rene has caught up to Katrin, and the two women are arguing. The two women aren't visible yet, but the wind carries their words back to Lumpy and Kiah.

Katrin wants to get as far away from the town as possible, in case she "changes". Even though the moon is not visible, she is worried about its effects. Si'rene doesn't want her companion to run off by herself.

Kiah and Lumpy hear one last exclamation of outrage from Katrin, then there is a soft thump. When Lumpy and Kiah arrive at the scene, Katrin is lying unconscious on the ground. Si'rene lowers her bow and shrugs.

"We should be able to get her back to the Dancing Dragon in time to restrain her, before she ..." Si'rene doesn't complete her sentence.

bhdrake
2006-10-13, 09:10 PM
Lumpy

Lumpy shrugs wordlessly at the scene they break into. He'd figured on being forced to do the same, so this wasn't much of an unexpected complication. Unbidden, he stoops to lift the unconscious woman, carrying her reclined in both arms.

"Boy, she'll be right pissed when she comes to. We best hurry."

kuja.girl
2006-10-13, 09:18 PM
Tiriel

Tiriel pauses as she watches Katrine bundle up in her furs. She exchanges a look with Si'rene, who nods. Tiriel sighs loudly and says"I can wait till morning, but not much after that." before walking away, willing to trust in Si'rene's judgement.

She starts walking towars the stairs when she suddenly decides to take a detour. She walks over to the table that the lizardman is sharing with Thokk, Achkby, Aeroz and Yix.*
"Err, sorry to inturupt but I meant to give this to you before now. Tiriel takes out one of the small pouches she's been carrying and hands it to the Lizardman. The pouch contains his share of the bounty from the hydras.
If the lizardman seems confussed or tries to refuse the money Tiriel will explain, "There is nothing dishonorable in taking this, it is a way for men to express their graditude and a way for them to make sure that we will have enough food on our journey thru the north where hunting may not always yield results." She pats him gently on the shoulder, "She didn't mean to hurt you, but I don't think she had any other way to stop you. She's sorry.
well that may not be true... it's hard to tell what Si'ren's thinking sometimes.
Tiriel smiles at the group, and resumes her way up the strairs.
and what would you do anyhow? tackle and then tie her up until she talked to you?... well that may not be such a bad idea, but...well. Si'rene will take care of it tonight.

*There Frojoe, Aeroz is no longer left out. I knew I'd missed someone, sorry bro : \
***Oh, and if anyone else needs their money from the hydra slaying, please remind me, it was o-so-many pages ago***

Erikkin
2006-10-13, 09:55 PM
Fizahn:

Fizahn watches as Katrin simply ignores him and rushes out. "I see she's not taking it that well," he mutters as she leaves. He jumps out of the way as Si'rene nearly tramples him in her haste after Katrin."Fine, ignore me! But just for the record, I thought it was a good plan." He turns towards Tiriel as he begins talking again. "Well, at least you...
Ignored me also..." Feeling thoroughly disrespected, Fizahn heads up to bed.

Ludo
2006-10-13, 11:12 PM
Nolan

Dammit Nyssa, no!

Nolan watches Nyssa's retreating figure head to the bar and assist the little dragon. He turns back to Delphinia and smiles awkwardly. "Fifty you say? I ... er, that's not as old as I thought you were going to sa–" he catches himself and stops abruptly.

Gods that's not coming out properly at all.

"I mean... you made it sound like you were old old. Fifty isn't so old." Whew, there... "Not for one of the wee folk, right?"

Nolan smiles proudly, thoroughly convinced he's pulled through without sticking his foot in his mouth.

Lost Sage
2006-10-13, 11:25 PM
Kiah

Kiah nods to Si'rene "Thank heavens."

On the way back to the inn Kiah is already very cold and shivering. The long hours and cold are taking it's toll. She pushes it off and hurries on.

"Do you have ideas on how to restrain her? If she is as strong as that werewolf we faced rope won't do it. And her shape is going to change..."

maybe we can borrow manacles from the locals. shudder. i hate that idea but what else is there?

"I was thinking that the druid might be able to talk to her in animal form. I've heard that cat forms are more.... reasonable? ... you don't bother them and they don't bother you...something like that."

unless they are hungry, or mad. i wonder if a lot a raw meat will help?

Kiah looks a Si'rene "Sorry, I know she is your friend and all this seems very callous. I've been wrapped up all day in how to keep her safe and haven't found any great ideas yet."

Spaz
2006-10-14, 02:01 AM
Yix

Yix slowly makes his wake back up to the table with Achkby and thenew drinks. "Sorry for drinking your other one.......You can haff thihhh...." is all Yix manages to get out before slumping over on the table, snoring merrily away.

dauphinous
2006-10-14, 08:09 AM
Delphinia

Now her smile is becoming more genuine. "Fifty-three is the right number. I guess it's not so old. Old enough to feel it, but still young enough to traipse around looking for trouble." Between the drink, the cold, the strain, and the everything else today, she's nodding off now; falling asleep sitting up.

Callos_DeTerran
2006-10-14, 10:46 AM
Callos DeTerran

It had been awhile since he ha come upstairs to wait for Tiriel and something had begun to worry at the back of his mind. Something about the circu,stances for how he had gotten into the middle of the woods away from the group. ust how had he gotten there? None of them had really explained it but the necromancer distinctly remembered Lissa saying something about sleep walking.

Was that really it? Walking around in his sleep? If it was then he would have to be more careful when he did sleep. Maybe try and sleep less often if it was possible to cut down one the chances he goes walking off again. How hard could it be after all?

kariokie
2006-10-14, 05:48 PM
Nyssa

Nyssa smiles at the psuedodragon's drunkenness, and heads back to the bar. Purchasing three more ciders, she returns to where Nolan and Delphinia are sitting.

Noting Delphinia is nodding off, she smiles, "Nolan, I thought it was my responsibility to bore others to sleep with my prattling." She fishes through her robes for their room key. "My offer stands, Delphinia, if you wish to stay in our room. I'm sure my brother would love if I went to bed soon, however I will be up for a while longer, I think." She holds the key out, but isn't offended if it isn't taken.

Sitting down against the wall, she begins to sip her cider, content. Being around people, even if none of them wished to speak to her, still filled her with energy and happiness.