PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch Disciple

Damien_Lance
2010-06-11, 02:16 PM
So I am thinking of trying an eldritch disciple out just to go with a divine warlock flavor. What would be the best way to go into this class? Is there anything similar to precocious apprentice but for divine casters that would let me get away with only taking 1 cleric level to meet the second level divine spells requirement?

Pluto
2010-06-11, 02:21 PM
Well, there are Earth Spell (RoS), Improved Krau Sigil (RoD), Versatile Spellcaster (RotD) + Spontaneous Domain Casting (CDiv) and probably a few others, but skill points are the real barrier to early entry.

Wings of Peace
2010-06-11, 02:28 PM
The most common method I see is through a combination of Warlock and Ur-Priest which nets you 9th level casting and strong warlock abilities in the end game, though this defaults you to an evil alignment.

If you want to take it to the extreme you mix in Hellfire Warlock instead of some of the Warlock levels to boost your damage output and then dip Mindbender to qualify for the Mindsight feat. That might be a little more than your campaign calls for however.

If you do want to go the latter route however, also note that Ur-Priests are allowed to take feats requiring levels of cleric spellcasting/levels of cleric and are not by RAW barred from worship, so you could also take Initiate of Mystra if you want to just go crazy.

aeauseth
2010-06-11, 03:08 PM
I use this (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Eldritch_Glaive_Master_(3.5e_Optimized_Character_B uild)) build. You could ditch all the DMM related stuff to focus on Eldritch Blast at range.

Wings of Peace
2010-06-11, 03:18 PM
I use this (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Eldritch_Glaive_Master_(3.5e_Optimized_Character_B uild)) build. You could ditch all the DMM related stuff to focus on Eldritch Blast at range.

For straight power it would do better to go with Ur-Priest instead of Cleric. The build could still fit Hellfire Warlock in there and come out with 9th level spellcasting as well..

Warlock X/Hellfire Warlock 3/Ur-Priest 2/Eldritch Disciple 8/ would already be superior to the wiki build and leave him with alot more freedom to class as he wants.

aeauseth
2010-06-11, 04:14 PM
For straight power it would do better to go with Ur-Priest instead of Cleric.

I see Ur-Priest all the time. Has anyone actually run an Evil character? Seems from an alignment point of view to be a party killer. You couldn't have any GOOD characters in the party, so all neutral and evil? Good/Evil PC's are bound to have serious disagreements and one would likely have serious alignment issues with party decisions & actions. I've never been in an evil party, nor run one as a DM. I'm a bit courious if this even works.

As a side note does the Ur-Priest qualify for Eldritch Disciple? Isn't one of the ED requirements to worship a Chaotic or Evil diety. I thought Ur-Priests didn't worship any dieties.

Amphetryon
2010-06-11, 04:17 PM
Most campaigns allow the worship of an ideal, instead of the worship of a specific deity. FR is a noted exception.

Optimystik
2010-06-11, 04:20 PM
You can get both 9ths and Dark Invocations without being Evil - you just need the Divine Magician ACF from Complete Mage so that you can qualify for Mystic Theurge after ED is finished.

PId6
2010-06-11, 04:32 PM
Warlock 1/Cleric 4/Eldritch Disciple 10/Cleric PrC 5

This is the basic cleric Glaivelock, basically just using Eldritch Glaive and a few utility invocations to augment your Clericzilla. You lose two caster levels, but Eldritch Glaive is potentially worth it.

Warlock 5/Mindbender 1/Ur Priest 2/Eldritch Disciple 9/Hellfire Warlock 3

This is much stronger, but also cheesier and Evil. You use Shape Soulmeld (Strongheart Vest) to negate the Hellfire Warlock damage, and you also take Mindsight at 6th. You get perfect Ur Priest casting and 17th level invoking, as well as full Hellfire Warlock fun. Definitely a late-bloomer though.

Optimystik
2010-06-11, 04:40 PM
Warlock 1/Cleric 4/Eldritch Disciple 10/Cleric PrC 5

This is the basic cleric Glaivelock, basically just using Eldritch Glaive and a few utility invocations to augment your Clericzilla. You lose two caster levels, but Eldritch Glaive is potentially worth it.

This is also the skeleton of the Eldritch Magician build:

Cloistered Cleric 1/Warlock 1/Cloistered Cleric +3 (Divine Magician)/ED 10/MT 5.

Invocations as Warlock 16 (Dark)
Spells as Cleric 18 (9th.)

Starting with CC gives you lots of skill points. Toss your Knowledge domain for Divine Magician and you will still have 2 domains of choice. (I advise Trickery as one, so you can PAO into an Outsider or Dragon or something at epic.)

The best part is that you don't have to be evil like the Ur-lock. Your EB will be considerably weaker though.

gorfnab
2010-06-11, 04:57 PM
I usually like Warlock 4/ Binder 1/ Ur-Priest 2/ Eldritch Disciple 10/ Hellfire Warlock 3. 9th level spells, Dark Invocations, binding Naberius heals the con damage from hellfire.

Wings of Peace
2010-06-11, 06:22 PM
I see Ur-Priest all the time. Has anyone actually run an Evil character? Seems from an alignment point of view to be a party killer. You couldn't have any GOOD characters in the party, so all neutral and evil? Good/Evil PC's are bound to have serious disagreements and one would likely have serious alignment issues with party decisions & actions. I've never been in an evil party, nor run one as a DM. I'm a bit courious if this even works.

As a side note does the Ur-Priest qualify for Eldritch Disciple? Isn't one of the ED requirements to worship a Chaotic or Evil diety. I thought Ur-Priests didn't worship any dieties.

Being evil is easier than some people make it seem. Just because you're evil you don't have to be stupid. Maybe you're an Ur-Priest who pretends to be a healer so that everyone will be too pleased to inquire about the source of your divine power while secretly you're strengthening your ability to siphon divine energy. Or maybe you convince people that your alignment registers weird because of a 'curse'. Evil doesn't need to be blatantly obvious, it's something you can probably work out with your DM given time.

As for qualification, it requires divine casting and worship of a deity. Ur-Priest in its requirements section is in no way banned from worship.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-06-11, 07:42 PM
Warlock 5/Mindbender 1/Ur Priest 2/Eldritch Disciple 9/Hellfire Warlock 3

This is much stronger, but also cheesier and Evil. You use Shape Soulmeld (Strongheart Vest) to negate the Hellfire Warlock damage, and you also take Mindsight at 6th. You get perfect Ur Priest casting and 17th level invoking, as well as full Hellfire Warlock fun. Definitely a late-bloomer though.

Warlock 5 cannot qualify for Mindbender, as he doesn't get a Lesser Invocation (for Charm Person) until 6th level.

Os1ris09
2010-06-11, 09:13 PM
What we do is in general waive the Alignment qualifications because Paladin has a Class for Every Alignment so why can't other classes in nature be the same way?

I think I make a very valid point. :smallbiggrin:

Also I will post the link to the three page discussion on a build with ED and warlock/cleric or you can use ur-priest

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155553

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155159