PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Beguiler/Sha'ir - does this work?

Analytica
2010-06-11, 06:11 PM
Continuing the quest for an arcane spellcasting build that is spontaneous, gets ninth-level spells before level 20, and that can access as many different spells as possible, I came up with this idea. Is it legit? Would it be useful? Also, can it be improved?

Beguiler 4
Sha'ir 1 (From Dragon Compendium/Dragon magazine #315)
Ultimate Magus 10

We qualify for Ultimate Magus using Corrupt Arcana from Heroes of Horror. This feat allows the Beguiler to prepare corrupt spells from a spellbook. As corrupt spells are arcane when cast by an arcane spellcaster, this hopefully fulfills the requirement of "being able to prepare 2nd-level arcane spells from a spellbook".

This makes for a character who knows spells as a 13th level Beguiler, and as a 9th-level Sha'ir, so 6th-level Beguiler spells, 5th-level Sha'ir spells. Continuing with Beguiler gives 9th-level spells at 20th level.

Now the question. The Sha'ir writeup clearly indicates that they are arcane spellcasters. However, it also states that they can cast certain divine spells. It does not clarify whether these spells counts as divine or arcane when cast by the Sha'ir. If the former, would this mean that Sha'ir can be considered a divine spellcasting class? If so, could I fill up the above build with Mystic Theurge? I fear not, but I can hope...