PDA

View Full Version : Computer help, desperate :(

Anuan
2010-06-12, 08:05 PM
So, I purchased and installed NWN 2 the other night. Because that's awesome.
So, I'd been playing for a while, and my laptop dies. Just goes black. I swear, and check that it's plugged in at the back. It is. The light's off on my charger. I move to a different powerpoint, plug it in, switch it on, light comes on. Plug it into my laptop, light goes out again. At this point I'm assuming the Adaptor has died, and leave it overnight to try again. I tried again, same result. I tried dad's charger (We both have Dell laptops, though my adaptor is 90W and his is 65. My laptop's an Inspiron 1520 if that helps at all) and the same thing happened. So that makes me think it's something to do with my laptop itself...So yeah. I'm out of internet commision for a bit, and really desperately need some information on what's going on and what can be done.

Thanks in advance, guys.

Capt Spanner
2010-06-12, 09:07 PM
When I had similar problems it was because the power board on my laptop was failing. I had to get the powerboard replaced.

arguskos
2010-06-12, 09:16 PM
Best guess? The port for your charger is going out, which means you need to replace it. That's just a guess though. Call up Dell, they can probably figure it out over the phone and help you better than we can.

Jacklu
2010-06-12, 09:21 PM
Oy, this happened to me. Turns out, there was a gremlin inside my laptop, eating the electricity as it went in. Took a box of gramcrackers and two pounds of bacon to get rid of the thing.

But I jest.

Sounds like the powerboard is broken. Call up Dell and see what they suggest. It might be covered under the computer's warranty (if it has one).

Fay Graydon
2010-06-12, 09:35 PM
Shoulda just installed Never Winter Nights one hun.
A) it is less graphically demanding...
And B) Its a much better game XD

Sorry to hear about your laptop dieing though :\ I hope you get it working soon.

Anuan
2010-06-12, 11:36 PM
Shoulda just installed Never Winter Nights one hun.
A) it is less graphically demanding...
And B) Its a much better game XD

Sorry to hear about your laptop dieing though :\ I hope you get it working soon.

But...but Warlock! D:
Also my computer's powerful enough to handle the graphics with ease :P

Thanks, guys. Powerboard makes sense, I guess. I tried calling Dell first but it's sunday here, and tomorrow's a public holiday. Guess I'll email them and try and look for a repair shop in town and hope I can get driven in at some point (living 40 km from the nearest town yaaaaaaay >_<).

Thanks heaps.

IonDragon
2010-06-12, 11:58 PM
Power board is the most likely, especially if you're getting absolutely no response from the computer. The fix is $200 USD often +$75 diagnostic. I can recommend a good place if you're in the states in the West Coast area.

Capt Spanner
2010-06-13, 07:06 AM
I've got to say that soon after replacing my powerboard I had to replace the entire laptop because the motherboard was the actual fault. (It formed a short circuit somewhere that tried to draw infinite power...)

If you get someone good to check your laptop for you they may also be able to diagnose the faulty part causing it.

Fay Graydon
2010-06-13, 08:03 AM
But...but Warlock! D:
Also my computer's powerful enough to handle the graphics with ease :P

*shrugs* could never get into NWN2 at all.
I just prefered the first one, i generally prefered the gameplay and story of the first one.