PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Hummingbird wizard familiar

Flail_master
2010-06-13, 11:09 AM
just a short one, there isnt stats for a hummingbird in the moster manual (why would there be?) and i was thinking just to spice things up i could give this NPC wizard a hummingbird as a familiar, if anyone could homebrew this for me that would be great, with the bonus skill given to wizard as well please :smallsmile:

unless of course i HAVE to choose from the list... :smalltongue:

DragoonWraith
2010-06-13, 11:14 AM
The Hummingbird was statted in a Dragon Magazine: +3 to Initiative. This is generally considered far more powerful than any other familiar, however.

Flail_master
2010-06-13, 11:25 AM
The Hummingbird was statted in a Dragon Magazine: +3 to Initiative. This is generally considered far more powerful than any other familiar, however.

oooo nice i like it, where can i find its stats? i dont exactly have the magazine :smalltongue:

Calmar
2010-06-13, 12:03 PM
You could use the stats raven and decrease its size (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/improvingMonsters.html#size-increases) to Diminutive (-2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 AC, 1d2 bite, etc.). Then give it whatever familiar-benefit you see fit.

I agree that Init +3 is way stronger than the usual stuff. Something like a +3 bonus Balance checks sounds more reasonable to me.

Jeff the Green
2010-06-13, 01:11 PM
Yeah, +3 to initiative is a bit strong, but +3 to balance checks doesn't make sense for a hummingbird. (When do they need to balance? They fly.) I'd say +1 or +2 to initiative instead. Worth it if you really want higher initiative, but not so much more powerful than the other options.

Calmar
2010-06-13, 01:58 PM
Yeah, +3 to initiative is a bit strong, but +3 to balance checks doesn't make sense for a hummingbird. (When do they need to balance? They fly.)

Well, "staying in one place" is about the only remarkable ability I can think of a hummingbird has. Balance is the only Skill in 3.5 that comes close to that ability in my eyes. Sure, hummingbirds may react pretty fast - but that's the case for any familiar base animal (besides, at best, the toad).

Besides, have you ever been bluffed by a snake, or seen a raven appraise something? :smalltongue:

I'd rather let a hummingbird grant a +2 bonus to Reflex saves, as the Weasel does, than any bonus to Initiative. Init seems far more useful than the petty benefits of the standard familiars.

UserClone
2010-06-13, 02:36 PM
Well according to this (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Table:_Creature_Size_and_Scale_(3.5e_Other)) and this (http://www.defenders.org/wildlife_and_habitat/wildlife/hummingbirds.php?gclid=CPnf06jmnaICFQuB5QodEjPDzA# ), there's more of a case for them being size Fine than Diminutive.

Debihuman
2010-06-13, 02:50 PM
The bonus from the hummingbird in Dragon Magazine is actually +4. I would bet that the +4 is a typo (or an egregious error by the designer) and it should have been +2. Hummingbirds can Hover (either as a matter of maneuverability or due to the Hover feat). See Dragon Magazine 323 page 98. It does say to use the Thrush's stats (from Tome and Blood) but as Fine size.

Debby

GlowingFauxPas
2010-06-13, 03:35 PM
Well, "staying in one place" is about the only remarkable ability I can think of a hummingbird has. Balance is the only Skill in 3.5 that comes close to that ability in my eyes. Sure, hummingbirds may react pretty fast - but that's the case for any familiar base animal (besides, at best, the toad).

Besides, have you ever been bluffed by a snake, or seen a raven appraise something? :smalltongue:

I'd rather let a hummingbird grant a +2 bonus to Reflex saves, as the Weasel does, than any bonus to Initiative. Init seems far more useful than the petty benefits of the standard familiars.

They can also fly backwards so the wizard should gain the ability to walk backwards

Magikeeper
2010-06-13, 03:46 PM
Rhamphorhynchus (Dragon 318) is the one that grants a +3 initiative. It comes with good maneuverability, a 60ft fly speed, free weapon Finesse, scent, a dex of 21, improved initiative as its base feat, and it looks cool*. It does have a con of 8 and is tiny size though.

Hummingbird gives a +1 higher bonus, but they have it use a thrush's stats (which are not good at all).

*"This tiny flying reptile has a narrow snout filled with tiny, needle-like teeth and a long tail tipped with a flat rudder-like growth."

--------------------

Getting back on topic, the +init psycrystal [nimble] gives a +2 bonus and is still a great choice, so +2 would be a fine houserule. I'd give a hummingbird at least good maneuverability if not perfect. I know someone made a very detailed stat sheet that stated the actual directions a hummingbird can fly in along with other stats.

Flail_master
2010-06-14, 05:21 AM
way i see it hummingbirds are diminutive (the smallest size i think), and they have a perfect fly speed, i read up on how they fly and it all matches up with perfect fly speed, i think its an equal exchange to have this tiny bird with that kinda flight, after all, are you really gonna send this thing into combat? its just got perfect flight for the fact it makes sense in my eyes

and yes +3 init sounds a bit overkill, its almost on par with improved init, and from what ive observed in general, familiar give about half the bonus of some of the skill bonus feats which usually give a +2 to 2 skills, familiars give a +2 to 1, so it would make sense for hummingbirds to give +2 to init, improved init being +4

ya with me? :smallbiggrin: :smalltongue:

sigurd
2010-06-14, 06:51 AM
And they have a crazy metabolism. The wizard should need 8 meals a day and all the energy drinks he\she can keep down.

:)

Sigurd

Rithaniel
2010-06-14, 07:31 AM
To be fair, the majority of familiars are actually in the '25% of potential power' range. Especially when you compare these things to the Bat Familiar (Blindsense out to 5 feet per wizard level, for crying out loud), and, as has already been stated, the Hummingbird Familiar (+4 to init. Then again, you already know that).

There's no harm in letting a familiar have a noticable impact on the game. I agree though, init boosts are tough to come by (now I wanna make a Cerebremancer with a Nimble Psicrystal and the Hummingbird Familiar, as well as Imp. Initiative. Maybe I could also find a way to take 20 on init. and be an ass).