PDA

View Full Version : Belkar v. Death

Acero
2010-06-14, 12:56 PM
It is a fact Belkar Bitterleaf will die during this comic.

Upon death, the dier may challenge Death to a game for his life.
In what game do you think Belkar has the best chance of winning? SPS(Stabs per second) Rants, Craft disturbing image?

fishguy
2010-06-14, 01:03 PM
Iron Chef!

T-O-E
2010-06-14, 01:08 PM
Wet t-shirt contest. It's been foreshadowed.

licoot
2010-06-14, 01:20 PM
A Sexy Shoeless God of War contest

Acero
2010-06-14, 01:23 PM
A Sexy Shoeless God of War contest

Which is? need somew more characters.. there we go

Rothen
2010-06-14, 01:28 PM
Which is?

Won by Belkar.

Frozen_Feet
2010-06-14, 01:32 PM
Obviously, Belkar challenges Death to see who can kill more people in the same time.

And wins.

Kobold-Bard
2010-06-14, 01:38 PM
Toss the Kobold?

JoeSkull
2010-06-14, 01:45 PM
Who can get thrown the furthest by Roy. Belk should be able to get a pretty good distance since he is small and Roy (probably) really wants to throw him.

Kobold-Bard
2010-06-14, 01:53 PM
Who can get thrown the furthest by Roy. Belk should be able to get a pretty good distance since he is small and Roy (probably) really wants to throw him.

Who says Death is Medium sized. That could just be us Humans pushing our biased views on everything. Death could be Fine sized and extremely aerodynamic for all you know :smallwink:

Cizak
2010-06-14, 02:17 PM

But Roy already has experience in throwing skeletons. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0114.html)

Tulio d Bard
2010-06-14, 02:42 PM
They'll play RPG, of course. (http://xkcd.com/393/)

Luzahn
2010-06-14, 03:16 PM
Well, challenging yourself to a game always ends well.

I've found that I generally win.

chiasaur11
2010-06-14, 03:23 PM
Chess. He always forgets how the little horsey ones move.

And wins anyway.

JoeSkull
2010-06-14, 03:34 PM
Who says Death is Medium sized. That could just be us Humans pushing our biased views on everything. Death could be Fine sized and extremely aerodynamic for all you know :smallwink:considering that we have already seen death once, and he appeared to be the size of a regular person, it is reasonable to assume that he is medium sized.

hihidude
2010-06-14, 03:41 PM
yahtzee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kobold-Bard
2010-06-14, 03:43 PM
considering that we have already seen death once, and he appeared to be the size of a regular person, it is reasonable to assume that he is medium sized.

ORLY?

When was that :smallconfused:

chiasaur11
2010-06-14, 03:52 PM
ORLY?

When was that :smallconfused:

Spring Break Never Dies, comic 718, last panel.

Kobold-Bard
2010-06-14, 03:56 PM
Spring Break Never Dies, comic 718, last panel.

...:smallannoyed:

Damn it, why am I always wrong when I post in this forum.

JonestheSpy
2010-06-14, 03:59 PM
Parcheesi! (Or perhaps Judy Garland impersonations.) (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0383.html)

derfenrirwolv
2010-06-14, 04:00 PM
Death will have to appear as Belkar... because nothing else so epitomizes death and destruction. The two will go on a killing spree and forget who's who, becomming one entity with one purpose.

JoeSkull
2010-06-14, 05:36 PM
...:smallannoyed:

Damn it, why am I always wrong when I post in this forum.

because I am always right. :smallbiggrin:

Rae Artemi
2010-06-14, 06:39 PM
Well, they could have a cat battle, Though DEATH has many cats.

Discworld is great.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-06-14, 06:44 PM
Obviously he's going to challenge Death to a "Kill Death" contest.

It's a win-win situation, really/

Dr.Epic
2010-06-14, 06:55 PM
If Death suggests who can ride a roller coaster the most times Belkar's in trouble.

Draconi Redfir
2010-06-14, 08:49 PM
nonononono. your all forgetting the best game ever!!!

"throw the stone and then the stick shortly thereafter."

JoeSkull
2010-06-14, 11:40 PM
nonononono. your all forgetting the best game ever!!!

"throw the stone and then the stick shortly thereafter."

but Belkar was never allowed to play with all the other halfling children.

Leecros
2010-06-14, 11:55 PM
If Death suggests who can ride a roller coaster the most times Belkar's in trouble.

Unless Death falls off due to catching Mysterious Circumstances

--Lime--
2010-06-15, 12:14 AM
I'd personally go with roulette - no skill involved. I wonder what Death would do if neither person won?

Dr.Epic
2010-06-15, 12:52 AM
Depending on the personification of death Rich goes with, this could be interesting. For example, he he chooses a sexy, young female death like from Neil Gaiman's Sandman, Belkar could just constantly hit on her.

Niknokitueu
2010-06-15, 02:16 AM
Simple contest to win: See who can hold the most water in their mouth.

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu

Kareasint
2010-06-15, 06:11 AM
Drinking Contest. Death is trying to forget sometimes.

Points if you got this reference.

Darklord Xavez
2010-06-15, 11:38 AM
Obviously, Belkar challenges Death to see who can kill more people in the same time.

And wins.

Death wins. By default. He is responsible for ALL deaths that occur, including those caused by Belkar. As such, his total is equal to the number of people Belkar kills plus the number of other people who died during that time FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER.

considering that we have already seen death once, and he appeared to be the size of a regular person, it is reasonable to assume that he is medium sized.

Actually, we perceive Death to be the same race as us, only skeletal. Unless we're using the Lankhmar Death, in which case he/she/it cannot be defeated.
-Xavez

Darcy
2010-06-15, 12:00 PM

I HAVE ONLY FORGOTTEN HOW TO GET DRUNK

rewinn
2010-06-15, 02:23 PM
.... Unless we're using the Lankhmar Death, in which case he/she/it cannot be defeated.
-Xavez

It seems to me that there must be a possibility that Death can be defeated; otherwise, it's not a game, just a cruel joke.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-06-15, 02:30 PM
Death wins. By default. He is responsible for ALL deaths that occur, including those caused by Belkar. As such, his total is equal to the number of people Belkar kills plus the number of other people who died during that time FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER.

Eh, I still give it to Belkar, personally. :smalltongue:

T-O-E
2010-06-15, 03:20 PM

Belkar kills death. He wins by one.

Eloi
2010-06-15, 03:23 PM
Alternatively everyone doesn't care about Belkar anymore and stop celebrating his birthday.

Calemyr
2010-06-15, 03:42 PM
Alternatively everyone doesn't care about Belkar anymore and stop celebrating his birthday.

Clever, but the Oracle later stated to Roy's ghost that he'd breath his last breath ever before the year is out, so it's probably not that.

chiasaur11
2010-06-15, 03:49 PM

Well, he could try joining the, whadyacallems, foreign fellows, from that one place, has coffee or something.

Can't remember the name at all.

Cracklord
2010-06-16, 06:57 AM
Sorry to play buzzkill, but this thread is totally redundant.
The Grim Reaper only shows up for IMPORTANT deaths. So Belkar will pass on without notice, or the opportunity for a challenge.

It seems to me that there must be a possibility that Death can be defeated; otherwise, it's not a game, just a cruel joke.

The man catches on.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-16, 07:05 AM
Would it be too much to hope for Belkar to:
Die, go to the Abyss, slay every single Demon he comes across, become a greater Demon, and Plane Shifts back to the material plane? :smallredface:

Kish
2010-06-16, 07:21 AM
Yes, it would.

Kobold-Bard
2010-06-16, 07:25 AM
Sorry to play buzzkill, but this thread is totally redundant.
The Grim Reaper only shows up for IMPORTANT deaths. So Belkar will pass on without notice, or the opportunity for a challenge.

The man catches on.

There are 6 main characters. The entire multiverse they live on focusses on thes 6 individuals more than amy other could hope to achieve. On what do you base your claim that Belkar isn't important?

tcrudisi
2010-06-16, 09:04 AM
Clever, but the Oracle later stated to Roy's ghost that he'd breath his last breath ever before the year is out, so it's probably not that.

Unless Belkar takes up art for a day. He draws his last breath before giving up art forever. How does one draw a breath anyway?

Luzahn
2010-06-16, 09:19 AM
Hm...Could Belkar's recent feigned shift in alignment go far enough to drastically alter his identity, making him no longer "Belkar Bitterleaf"?

Gah, wish my brain wouldn't think of such improbable stuff.

Kish
2010-06-16, 09:24 AM
Hm...Could Belkar's recent feigned shift in alignment go far enough to drastically alter his identity, making him no longer "Belkar Bitterleaf"?

Impossible? No.

Gah, wish my brain wouldn't think of such improbable stuff.
Improbable? Yes. To the tune of "this will happen a week after Haley gives all her money away to charity and multiclasses as a paladin, and Miko rises from the dead and becomes an exemplar of Chaotic Good."

Darklord Xavez
2010-06-16, 11:21 AM
Belkar kills death. He wins by one.

Killing somebody doesn't mean that you are counted as having killed as many people as they have killed. If I just confused you, then that's a confusion point for me!
-Xavez

Leecros
2010-06-16, 12:20 PM
There are 6 main characters. The entire multiverse they live on focusses on thes 6 individuals more than amy other could hope to achieve. On what do you base your claim that Belkar isn't important?

writers kill of main characters when they've served their purpose in a story. Therefore Belkar is no longer important once he dies.

The only exception is heroic deaths, but its hard to tell if Belkar will get one of those or not.

Luzahn
2010-06-16, 12:21 PM
"Haley gives all her money away to charity and multiclasses as a paladin, and Miko rises from the dead and becomes an exemplar of Chaotic Good."

Would be great to watch, though...

Kobold-Bard
2010-06-16, 12:26 PM
writers kill of main characters when they've served their purpose in a story. Therefore Belkar is no longer important once he dies.

The only exception is heroic deaths, but its hard to tell if Belkar will get one of those or not.

Or he becomes part of the IFCC storyline. They're in "Hell" so he's dead, but still in the comic so his fans don't get angry and flame the crap out of the forum.

Luzahn
2010-06-16, 12:28 PM
I've never quite understood, do Evil-aligned characters receive a positive evil afterlife for following Evil tenets, or are Good afterlives pleasure, and Evil suffering?

hamishspence
2010-06-16, 12:33 PM
Depends on the source.

If the evil character is devoted to a deity, they may be able to avoid some of the more unpleasant traits of the Lower Plane they've gone to- since some evil deities reward their followers in the afterlife (up to a point)

If not, then at least some of the Lower Planes are very unpleasant for petitioners.

Baator (the Nine Hells) erases the identities of petitioners through a serious of horrible torments, then reincarnates them as mindless devils (lemures) to be used as cannon fodder.

The Abyss has Manes, which aren't as mindless as lemures, but like them are treated very badly.

Gehenna has petitioners that made bargains with yugoloths, strung up on lengths of spiked chain.

And so on.

Leecros
2010-06-16, 12:44 PM
Or he becomes part of the IFCC storyline. They're in "Hell" so he's dead, but still in the comic so his fans don't get angry and flame the crap out of the forum.

even then... "IF" that would happen(and that's a big if) then he would still no longer be a relevant part of the story because he won't really be able to effect anything...he probably couldn't even take the IFCC on since together they could probably kick the crap out of him.

he would drop back into <at most> a comedic role; Thus still wouldn't be 'important' to the story

Edit >> also the story isn't run by the forums, if the story requires Belkar to be written out of it, The Giant isnt not going to write belkar out simply because it may cause his fans on the forum to get angry.

Kish
2010-06-16, 01:08 PM
If his fans flame the crap out of the forum, he will very shortly have no fans on the forum, only a lot of people with the word "Banned" under their user names whose last posts here were screaming about Belkar's death. Rich is not going to base anything he does on, "This will prevent people from flaming the crap out of the forum," I can promise you that.

Ancalagon
2010-06-16, 01:11 PM

I might become angry if we get such a clear, clear, clear prophecy and then it just gets cheated around just to keep him in the comic.
That is, unless that cheat is very good.

But we have a VERY clear word what is going to happen and I think that's just what is going to happen - has to happen, given how crystal clear it was stated.

Luzahn
2010-06-16, 01:15 PM
Ah, but isn't the fun in prophecies to cheat them?

Ancalagon
2010-06-16, 02:25 PM
So far, all prophecies we saw coming true in oots have come true quite literally. Where's the reason to assume it will be different with the clearest and even repeated one?

And the joke with prophecies in general is: If you cheat it, it bites you back. Hard and bigtime.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2010-06-17, 05:48 PM
A "whose friends have a resurrection spell" contest? If he fakes being a decent guy, and the fact that he is useful to the party remains, why wouldn't they raise him?

Acero
2010-06-18, 12:04 AM
A "whose friends have a resurrection spell" contest? If he fakes being a decent guy, and the fact that he is useful to the party remains, why wouldn't they raise him?

Durkons gonna die too. Who knows which goes first?

mucat
2010-06-18, 12:10 AM

The story may or may not play out that way, but I guarantee you that Rich doesn't base his decisions on what the forum thinks. :smallwink:

Acero
2010-06-21, 10:28 AM
The story may or may not play out that way, but I guarantee you that Rich doesn't base his decisions on what the forum thinks. :smallwink:

Didn't that happen before though with bandana paladin?

headmonkeyboy
2010-06-21, 11:31 AM
Who can light the most people on fire!:belkar:

MaimedScholar
2010-06-22, 11:31 AM
I'm gonna have to say it's gonna be who can kill the most people fastest. I have a feeling Belkar would think of that first.

Cealocanth
2010-06-22, 11:20 PM
I second the "who can kill the most people" suggestion. I have a feeling that in irony...Death will choose Belkar as his first victim during the contest, assuring Death's victory. To this, Belkar's soul will scream That was totally unfair! I didn't even get a chance to kill one human! Then will result in stabbing Death repeatedly.

JoeSkull
2010-06-24, 11:37 PM
Alright I have the perfect contest, Who can kill death first!
Its a Win Win. :)