PDA

View Full Version : Animated Shapesand? [3.5]

Lycanthromancer
2010-06-15, 12:18 AM
Let's say you take a dose of shapesand, from Sandstorm. 100 gp for approximately 1 cu ft, and it can be shaped into any object of that volume with a DC 16 Wisdom check.

What happens if you cast animate object on an object made from shapesand? Could you turn it into any mundane object you can imagine, which then follows your command as an animated object? What if it's awakened?

Maerok
2010-06-15, 12:25 AM
Well, for one thing, I imagine that its demeanor would be rather... rough?

Edit:
But to be of actual use, I'll contribute this:

This brings up the question of whether or not you could still shape the awakened animated sand item. I would probably say that it could be done, but with an opposed Wisdom check vs. the item itself rather than DC 16 (or use 16 if it is greater than the item's outcome).

Double Edit:
Also, the item itself could probably try to shape itself within its own size category via a DC 16 (or discounted to like 12) Wisdom check.

Koury
2010-06-15, 01:59 AM
Of course, an opposed Wisdom check vs something with 1 Wis is rather easy :smallbiggrin:

Maerok
2010-06-15, 03:25 AM
Well I've never taken a look at awaken so I winged it. :smalltongue:

Koury
2010-06-15, 03:34 AM
I just meant an Animated Object. An Awaken Construct'd creature has 3d6 Int/Wis/Cha.

However, you can't cast Awaken Construct on an object under the effects of an Animate Objects spell anyway.

Jarian
2010-06-15, 03:50 AM
RAW: I have no idea. It probably becomes permanently animated in the same form it was in at the time of casting Animate Object.

RAI: Almost definitely becomes permanently stuck as the same object.

ROC: It's a floating object. Make a Wisdom check to change it to something else. Congratulations, it's flavorful and moderately useful.

flabort
2010-06-15, 10:51 AM
since I would treat an Animated object as a construct if it were made permenant, and then even more so if it were awakened...

here's a monster entry for yah. (just made it myself)

Awakend Animated Shapesand
This Slithering rope shaped mound of sand writes on the ground in seemingly random movements, but slowly heading towards you. suddenly, it leaps of the ground, becoming an axe thrown right at you! However, you feel this amorphousness could be used to your advantage, if it could be tamed...
Small Constuct
2d10+10 (22 HP)
+1 BaB
+0 Ref, -- Fort, +0 Will
14 Str, 17 Dex, -- Con, 7 Int, 11 Wis, 6 Cha
Land speed 0 ft., fly speed 30 ft., perfect manueverability
Skills: move silently 3, use rope 2
Attacks: 1 attack per round with whatever mundane weapon it has shaped itself into, use improvised weapon rules if not a normal weapon.
Special qualities: low light vision, darkvision out to 60 ft., sand-shape
orginization: Solitary, group (1d6), crowd (3d6)
CR: 2
Advancement: (4-5 HD: medium), (6-7 HD: large)
A.A. Shapesands speak common

Sand-Shape
On a wis check of DC 16, it may choose to re-shape itself to the shape of any mundane weapon or item, or a small creature at a -10 complexity penelty to it's wis check. If the object it is taking the shape of is present, within 15 feet, it gains a +4 circumstance bonus to it's wis check.
If it takes a form with legs, or that of a rope or snake, it exchanges it's 30 feet fly speed for 50 feet land speed. If it takes a form with wings, it gains +10 feet to it's fly speed.
Another creature can attempt to reshape an awakened animated shapesand by way of opposed wisdom checks. if the creature wins, and beats the base DC of 16, it can choose the form the A.A. Shapesand takes.

A.A. Shapesands as Player Characters
An A.A. Shapesand must take two levels in Construct, giving him 2d10+10 HP, +1 BaB, (2+int)x(4+1) skill points, and +0 Ref and Will saves.
An A.A. Shapesand's racial scores are:
+4 dex
+2 str
No con score
-2 int
-2 cha
The A.A. Shapesand gains construct traits, including lowlight vision and darkvision out to 60 ft., imunity to mind-affecting effects, Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, and necromancy effects, Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability damage, ability drain, fatigue, exhaustion, or energy drain, and no need to eat, sleep, or breathe.
As well, on a wis check of DC 16, it may choose to re-shape itself to the shape of any mundane weapon or item, or a small creature at a -10 complexity penelty to it's wis check. If the object it is taking the shape of is present, within 15 feet, it gains a +4 circumstance bonus to it's wis check.
The A.A. Shapesand gains no landspeed, but gets a fly speed of 30 feet with perfect manueverability.
If it takes a form with legs, or that of a rope or snake, it exchanges it's 30 feet fly speed for 50 feet land speed. If it takes a form with wings, it gains +10 feet to it's fly speed.
Another creature can attempt to reshape an awakened animated shapesand by way of opposed wisdom checks. if the creature wins, and beats the base DC of 16, it can choose the form the A.A. Shapesand takes.

The A.A. Shapesand above had these scores before adjustment:
12 Str, 13 dex, 10 con, 9 int, 11 wis, and 8 cha

UndeadCleric
2010-06-15, 12:16 PM
RAW: I have no idea. It probably becomes permanently animated in the same form it was in at the time of casting Animate Object.

RAI: Almost definitely becomes permanently stuck as the same object.

ROC: It's a floating object. Make a Wisdom check to change it to something else. Congratulations, it's flavorful and moderately useful.

Sorry, but what are these abbrevations?

Lycanthromancer
2010-06-15, 12:18 PM
Sorry, but what are these abbrevations?RAW: Rules As Written.
RAI: Rules As Intended.
ROC: Rule Of Cool.

Soras Teva Gee
2010-06-15, 12:40 PM
I just meant an Animated Object. An Awaken Construct'd creature has 3d6 Int/Wis/Cha.

However, you can't cast Awaken Construct on an object under the effects of an Animate Objects spell anyway.

As it only disallows temporarily animated objects and the spell is just an example then couldn't you just add a Permanency spell to the equation?

Mongoose87
2010-06-15, 12:42 PM
Well, for one thing, I imagine that its demeanor would be rather... rough?

You could get it to do your dirty work.

Toliudar
2010-06-15, 12:59 PM
Is this a subtle attempt to create Odo?

Lycanthromancer
2010-06-15, 01:15 PM
Is this a subtle attempt to create Odo?If I said 'no,' would you believe me?

Eurus
2010-06-15, 03:09 PM
RAW: Rules As Written.
RAI: Rules As Intended.
ROC: Rule Of Cool.

Aw. I thought the last one was Rules On Crack.

...Erm. Anyway, I think that it would probably be stuck in its starting form by RAW, since it's no longer an object but a creature (and can no longer be shaped into other "objects," since they'd all be creatures too, any more than a non-animated hunk of shapesand could be shaped into a miniature golem). Rule of cool is what matters, though. A self-sculpting shapesand golem would be fairly neat.

flabort
2010-06-15, 08:28 PM
Cool=/=Crack?!
Aw, man....
More like an attempt to make Spiderman's Sandman.

Baron Malkar
2010-06-15, 08:37 PM
There is a spell called, I think, Animate Sand from Its Hot Outside. I think it would suit your puposes better.

flabort
2010-06-16, 09:49 PM
since I would treat an Animated object as a construct if it were made permenant, and then even more so if it were awakened...

here's a monster entry for yah. (just made it myself)

Awakend Animated Shapesand
This Slithering rope shaped mound of sand writes on the ground in seemingly random movements, but slowly heading towards you. suddenly, it leaps of the ground, becoming an axe thrown right at you! However, you feel this amorphousness could be used to your advantage, if it could be tamed...
Small Constuct
2d10+10 (22 HP)
+1 BaB
+0 Ref, -- Fort, +0 Will
14 Str, 17 Dex, -- Con, 7 Int, 11 Wis, 6 Cha
Land speed 0 ft., fly speed 30 ft., perfect manueverability
Skills: move silently 3, use rope 2
Attacks: 1 attack per round with whatever mundane weapon it has shaped itself into, use improvised weapon rules if not a normal weapon.
Special qualities: low light vision, darkvision out to 60 ft., sand-shape
orginization: Solitary, group (1d6), crowd (3d6)
CR: 2
Advancement: (4-5 HD: medium), (6-7 HD: large)
A.A. Shapesands speak common

Sand-Shape
On a wis check of DC 16, it may choose to re-shape itself to the shape of any mundane weapon or item, or a small creature at a -10 complexity penelty to it's wis check. If the object it is taking the shape of is present, within 15 feet, it gains a +4 circumstance bonus to it's wis check.

A.A. Shapesands as Player Characters
An A.A. Shapesand must take two levels in Construct, giving him 2d10+10 HP, +1 BaB, (2+int)x(4+1) skill points, and +0 Ref and Will saves.
An A.A. Shapesand's racial scores are:
+4 dex
+2 str
No con score
-2 int
-2 cha
The A.A. Shapesand gains construct traits, including lowlight vision and darkvision out to 60 ft., imunity to mind-affecting effects, Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, and necromancy effects, Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability damage, ability drain, fatigue, exhaustion, or energy drain, and no need to eat, sleep, or breathe.
As well, on a wis check of DC 16, it may choose to re-shape itself to the shape of any mundane weapon or item, or a small creature at a -10 complexity penelty to it's wis check. If the object it is taking the shape of is present, within 15 feet, it gains a +4 circumstance bonus to it's wis check.
The A.A. Shapesand gains no landspeed, but gets a fly speed of 30 feet with perfect manueverability.

The A.A. Shapesand above had these scores before adjustment:
12 Str, 13 dex, 10 con, 9 int, 11 wis, and 8 cha

just thought I'd bring attention to this post. just because.