PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Race: Batnian. Please PEACH

DragonOfUndeath
2010-06-15, 07:10 AM
please note that this is a work in progress. i will expand on this as i think of things and when i incorporate things from people's posts so please PEACH

my original setting: Gorania (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8706023#post8706023)
They are designed to be antagonists or side quests. they can be used as PC's (minor converting needed)

Back-story:
Backstory: the Batnian race was just a berserk wolf/bat until Adi Hedest decided to mess with them. Adi was an Evil Neutral Halfling Necromancer from Eberron when he stumbled across a portal to Gorania, when he went through the portal sealed shut behind him. Adi spent 30 years attempting to change the Batnians into a cohesive battle-force before one of his experiments turned on him and killed him.
what he created was not dead though and instead thrived. what he created was a beast that fed off life-magic: the kind that resided in living beings.

Biology and Society: If a Batnian doesn't get enough life-magic it reverts to its beastial form permanently. the Batnian society is based around how much life-magic you can absorb because the more they get the more intelligent they become. if a female Batnian absorbs enough life-magic she transforms into a hive queen, if there is already another hive queen in the tribe one has to die or move away, as they have absorbed plenty of life-magic they are very intelligent and charismatic. they are also the only females who can lay viable Batnian eggs. Males are born fertile. eggs grow in size as they absorb life-magic from nearby Batnians and other living things. There is not a physical childhood for Batnians; they are mentally a child but their body is fully grown when they are hatched.

Habitat: Batnians live in caves, tunnels and anywhere that's dark.

Forms:
Forms: Batnians have 3 forms: 1. human-like with wings. 2. Giant Bat 3. Bat/Werewolf hybrid.
1. Human-like: a.k.a. vampires with wings except they don't suck blood and have retractable bone-claws (like Wolverine minus metal).
2. Giant Bat: Normal Bat with blindsense except it's 6-foot tall with a wingspan of 2-3 meters.
3. Bat/Werewolf hybrid: a.k.a. werewolf with darkvision, wings and unlimited barbarian rage.

Stats:
rough stats for standard human-form NPC: STR 20, CHA 5, WIS 7, INT 3, DEX 10 and CON 15. standard level 5-6

rough stats for intelligent human-form NPC: STR 21, CHA 12, WIS 15, INT 10, DEX 10 and CON 17. standard level 10-12

rough stats for hive queen (recommended you personalize her): STR 25, CHA 18, WIS 22, INT 14, DEX 10 and CON 20. standard level 15-18

Notes: they don't have an aversion to light they just prefer the dark. they hunt from midnight-noon then go home to sleep. this is a nomad tribal society so they do go to war with each other.

i haven't added all of stats/skill/stuff yet but i will. if you want to suggest things please post and i will consider them.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-06-16, 08:59 PM
no one has any comments whatsoever?

demidracolich
2010-06-16, 09:23 PM
Well, some blindsense/sight when in bat form is needed. also if this is supposed to be a LA0 race I suggest str/con bonus because they seem strong and a cha penalty because they would be pretty creepy and savage. This is for normal ones of course.

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-06-17, 08:37 AM
Interesting ideas - but I'm having trouble seeing how the rules work.

In your stats section, you've put a "standard level" for each of the forms. As they are shapeshifters, they should stay the same level in each form. The fact they they are better or worse in each form is part of their shapeshifting ability. It's normal to make this a Level Adjustment.
You've also listed the ability scores, instead of listing the racial modifier to the ability scores. For example, where you've put "Strength 21" for the intelligent human-form, it's normal to record this as "+10 Strength".

I know you intend for this race to be NPC only, but GMs will need this information to make NPCs.

There is a standard format for races (including both monster and playable races) - you may find it helpful to present this race using that format. It makes it easier for people to see how your creation compares with other published races.
You can find the rules for making monsters in the Monster Manual, and some detail in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm). There's also a very helpful guide here on the Playground boards (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43009).

DragonOfUndeath
2010-06-17, 08:59 AM
thank you for telling me. as i do not have a copy of any D&D books i can only guess at what i should do. i am getting a PhB soon but until then any help will be great.
the standard level is what level they are if a DM wants to make a level 2 hive queen it's up to them but it will suck compared to even level 5 normal human Batnians.

Zom B
2010-06-17, 03:00 PM
thank you for telling me. as i do not have a copy of any D&D books i can only guess at what i should do

http://www.d20srd.org

DragonOfUndeath
2010-06-17, 10:39 PM
is the site for 4th ed? 3.5? other?

Zom B
2010-06-18, 06:02 AM
3.5. Not sure if there's a 4th ed SRD.

Temotei
2010-06-18, 08:58 AM
There should be a Dexterity ability score under the last tab. I'm not sure if you mentioned it anywhere else, but even if they were immobile (They're not, right?), you'd still have to have Dexterity -.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-06-20, 12:08 AM
sorry i forgot to add DEX. i added it.