PDA

View Full Version : Spellcasting Question [3.5]

Wonton
2010-06-15, 11:36 PM
Can a caster that's currently in the process of casting a spell with a long casting time (let's say a 10-minute one, like Control Weather) cast a Feather Fall in the middle if he starts falling? What about a Quickened or Swift-action spell?

Edit: Should have probably posted in Q&A... wasn't thinking. :smallannoyed:

bloodtide
2010-06-15, 11:50 PM
I can't find anything in the rules about this.

But I'd say, sure, why not. Just for the pure fun of it. I like the idea of a spellcaster having to concentrate hard on two magical actions at once. It has a nice dramatic feel to it. I'd count a quickened/swift/immediate spell as a disturbance, and have the caster roll a concentration check to hold onto the other long casting time spell.

Another_Poet
2010-06-16, 12:48 AM
I can't find anything in the rules about this.

But I'd say, sure, why not. Just for the pure fun of it. I like the idea of a spellcaster having to concentrate hard on two magical actions at once. It has a nice dramatic feel to it. I'd count a quickened/swift/immediate spell as a disturbance, and have the caster roll a concentration check to hold onto the other long casting time spell.

I would second this ruling, and also agree that I have never seen anything in RAW that addresses this.

gbprime
2010-06-16, 10:00 AM
Players Handbook Page 174 would seem to say otherwise.

A spell that takes 1 minute to cast comes into effect just before your turn 1 minute later (and for each of those 10 rounds, yuou are casting a spell as a full-round action, just as noted above for 1-round casting times). These actions must be consecutive and uninterrupted, or the spell automatically fails.

The other spell may be a free or swift action, but it is interrupting the casting of the first one. And I don't think a concentration check will suffice since the PHB states AUTOMATIC failure.

Wonton
2010-06-16, 01:10 PM
Players Handbook Page 174 would seem to say otherwise.

The other spell may be a free or swift action, but it is interrupting the casting of the first one. And I don't think a concentration check will suffice since the PHB states AUTOMATIC failure.

Hm. So does this mean taking a 5-ft step interrupts my casting? :smallconfused:

Foryn Gilnith
2010-06-16, 01:18 PM
If you're casting a long spell, then yes. Generally you don't want to be in a position where you need to take a 5' step while casting these sorts of things, because anything that would force you to take a 5' step would threaten you for the 10+ rounds you can't cast other spells (unless you're willing to lose the long spell).