PDA

View Full Version : The Creation of the Universe (Starring the Ebon Dragon!)

The Demented One
2010-06-19, 09:00 PM
A bedtime story told to the Demented One's younger siblings.

Once upon a time, there was the Ebon Dragon. He existed alone, out in the black beyond the world, before there was anyone else. The Ebon Dragon hated everyone and wanted then to suffer, but since nothing had been created, everyone was only him. So he spent the first few eons of his existence doing terrible things to himself out of spite.

But one day, he got tired of pushing himself down stairs and making himself angry bee sandwiches. So he created the world. He made lots of people, just so he could be mean to them! He invented happiness, so people could know they didn't have it. He invented colors, so that he would stand out by his blackness. He invented breathing, so that people could drown. The Ebon Dragon was kind of a ****.

But he was only darkness. He could brood and plot and scheme and plan, but there wasn't much else he could do. So he reached into himself and pulled out his heart, a seething bubbling shadow of a real heart. And then, he threw it into the sky!

The Ebon Dragon's heart flew though the sky so fast that it caught all aflame, burning away all that was shadow in it. It came to a stop, still blazing, and was fixed to the dome of the sky. That's where the sun came from!

The sun's flame bathed all Creation in radiance. The sun was everything the Ebon Dragon was not. He was righteous, compassionate, noble, and just. He made bright the world, and his brilliance cast long shadows. By the light of the sun's virtue was the shadow that is the Ebon Dragon cast, the Shadow of All Things. Now he had shape, had form, had essence, had power. The Ebon Dragon had a righteous nemesis, and so he could become a villain of fitting power. He could make everyone's life even more terrible now!

And that's why the world is so awful. The end.

Jokasti
2010-06-19, 09:02 PM
Cool story bro, this is why we can't have nice things.
You swear to your siblings?

The Demented One
2010-06-19, 09:05 PM
You swear to your siblings?
"D***" is hardly a real swear.

Jokasti
2010-06-19, 09:15 PM
I still avoid those gray area ones around the family, especially the younguns.

Recaiden
2010-06-19, 10:13 PM
So where did the other Primordials come from?

Still, a very nice telling of it.

Cealocanth
2010-06-19, 10:24 PM
Interesting. It would be intereting if one of the religions of where this story comes from is based off of self pain and misery, because that's what the universe was created for.

tonberrian
2010-06-19, 11:47 PM
So the Ebon Dragon had a subsoul that was made of bees? Makes sense.

Recaiden
2010-06-20, 12:28 AM
Interesting. It would be intereting if one of the religions of where this story comes from is based off of self pain and misery, because that's what the universe was created for.

Isn't there one? On avoiding such?

Cealocanth
2010-06-20, 01:55 PM
Isn't there one? On avoiding such?

I don't know much about the universe where the Ebon Dragon is. I don't know if it's a new game, someone else's campaign, a popular storybook, or anything else. I have never heard of the Dragon other than this thread.

I am commenting on the paragraph and what I think it might be. Whether or not there actually is one is pretty irrelevant because the paragraph didn't say there was or wasn't one.

An answer to your question, there are religions that focus on either inflicting or avoiding physical pain. I won't name them due to the rules against real world religious discussion. I suggest we drop this.

NeoRetribution
2010-06-20, 02:05 PM
Thank you for that. You have given a succinct example of why I dislike the majority of the setting of Exalted so much. It was very amusing.

Recaiden
2010-06-20, 02:29 PM
I don't know much about the universe where the Ebon Dragon is. I don't know if it's a new game, someone else's campaign, a popular storybook, or anything else. I have never heard of the Dragon other than this thread.

I am commenting on the paragraph and what I think it might be. Whether or not there actually is one is pretty irrelevant because the paragraph didn't say there was or wasn't one.

An answer to your question, there are religions that focus on either inflicting or avoiding physical pain. I won't name them due to the rules against real world religious discussion. I suggest we drop this.

I believe that within the fictional setting of Exalted, there is such a religion. That's all. Since it's from an established universe, I think it is relevant, not to the paragraph, but to the question.