PDA

View Full Version : Low Level Lycan?

Zwums
2010-06-19, 09:01 PM
This is my first game where I'm DMing, so my experience is limited to few but spectacular campaigns. Now in the last session, one of my characters (A level 3 fighter) became a werebear. It played extremely well into the story, but little did I know that the werebear template would give him immense power. So now, using the Monster Manual's template, he'd be above and beyond the other PCs.

So my dilemma is creating (or using) a lower leveled werebear template to give him. An older post suggested a Were Black Bear. I have also seen template classes. I really want him to be able to play with the other characters and not completely overshadow them. Any suggestions to get started or already created solutions to choose from?

I'd like to add that I also don't know how to template characters spectacularly well.

Hope i'm not posting in the wrong forum

Volthawk
2010-06-19, 09:05 PM
This perhaps? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8183188&postcount=306)

Melayl
2010-06-19, 10:20 PM
Sean K. Reynolds has a book called Curse of the Moon that is all about having more playable lycanthropes of all sorts. It's a PDF that you should be able to find at RPGNow or other online RPG bookstores.

It's a little lower in power than I was looking for when I bought it ($5 American, IIRC), but still a good resource.

Edit: Here's an excerpt from his website. (http://www.seankreynolds.com/skrg/free/005COTM/simplelycanthrope.html)

Lysander
2010-06-19, 11:18 PM
Here's an idea for a +1 LA template.

Lesser Werebear

A lesser werebear gains the shapechanger subtype.

-2 Int, +2 Str

Claw Attack (Su)
A lesser werebear can grow claws or dismiss them as a move action. The claws deal 1d4 lethal damage in combat.

Bear Shape (Su)
As a standard action action a lesser werebear may turn into a normal black bear (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/bearBlack.htm) or resume their normal form. This functions like the alternate form ability except mental stats (Int, Wis, Cha) are also changed to those of a bear. In this state a lesser werebear cannot use Intelligence or Charisma-based skills, cast spells, understand language, or communicate coherently. They still recognize who their friends and enemies are and can participate in combat. They are also smart enough to turn back into their normal form when it would be beneficial.

Full Moon (Su)
At night during a full moon, whether in moonlight or not, a lesser werebear automatically assumes and is trapped in their bear shape. During a full moon their bear shape also gains DR 5/silver.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-06-19, 11:24 PM
Well the obvious answer to empathize the curse when hes using the power he loses control of the character. If given the choice between permanently becoming an NPC or getting cured the problem is solved.

Zwums
2010-06-20, 09:23 AM
I like the idea of a template class, and perhaps emphasizing the curse aspect a bit more. Thanks

Lyndworm
2010-06-20, 10:04 AM
I have a homebrew Therianthrope (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4789418) template that you're more that welcome to use. I ask only that you tell me if it seems too weak or too strong, that way I might look into adjusting it.

There are the Anthropomorphic Animals from Savage Species. You could just give a bear an alternate Humanoid form and call it a day.

Cuaqchi
2010-06-20, 11:53 AM
He may seem strong at first, but remember that he is required to take the Animal Hit Dice which can screw him royally for feats or other abilities he might have recieved in time from PrCing. If he finds that the delayed progression beyond animal hit dice is taking too long he will probably seek the cure on his own without pressuring.

Lyndworm
2010-06-20, 11:57 AM
Are you talking about the standard Lycanthrope template? No one else in tis thread as considered it because the penalties are humongous. We're discussing alternate templates, races, and classes at the moment.

For Valor
2010-06-20, 03:37 PM
Well, there's the Shifter from one the monster manuals and/or one of the "Races of X" books (I'm pretty sure you can find it on crystalkeep too).

Or you could just do something simple. +2 to any physical stat; -2 to any mental stat (Charisma dump, anyone?). Then give him "wicked transformation" or something:

Wicked Transformation (Ex): Whenever a lycanthrope takes lethal damage (or whenever they spend a move action to transform, provoking AoOs), they turn into A MONSTERRRR RAHHH. +2 to all physical stats and -4 to all mental stats. This works like a barbarian's rage concerning what you can do when transformed, and you take a -2 to all checks once you come out of your transformation due to disorientation for a number of rounds equal to 5-HD (minimum 0).

You shift into the form when you take damage, and you shift out when you haven't taken lethal damage for 3 or more rounds, or by voluntarily ending your transformation as a full action. After transforming back, you cannot transform again for 2d10-HD rounds (minimum 0)... or 11-HD, if you want. I just like rolling dice.

Extra goodies (pick 2 of the following):

+10 feet to land speed
Scent
Evasion..?
claw attacks (2 sizes smaller) x2
bite attack (1 size smaller) x1

etc etc

Feats should improve the stuff, decreasing cooldown times and improving extra goodies.

------------------------------------------------------

In other news, give them LLV or something, +2 to some skill checks (as per usual), and some stuff about transforming at a certain phase of the moon's cycle.