PDA

View Full Version : The Mageblood Elf(3.5 race)

Ilmryn
2010-06-21, 09:12 AM
I have long been disgrunteled by the fact that there is no LA 0 race with a Cha bonus. All other scores(except maybe Wis) have at least one race with a bonus. So this concept is an elf subrace with a natural talent for inborn magic. It is similar to an earlier homebrew of mine, the Mystic Elf, but that one was a fail.

Racial Traits

Abilities: -2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Con, +2 Cha
Medium size
Immune to sleep, and +2 to saves aginst enchantment.
Low-light vision
Magical Talent: All mageblood elves can perform minor magical feats. They can use Prestigitation as a spell-like ability at will.
No Weapon Proficencies
+2 to Spellcraft and Use Magic Device checks. All Mageblood elves have a knack for magic. They can use these skills untrained.
Languages: Common and Elven

Any feedback would be welcome.

Volthawk
2010-06-21, 10:19 AM
Nitpick: There is a Cha-increasing race. Spellscales, RoTD.

Anyway, I suppose I better take a look at the race.

Stat Adjustments: Like a Grey Elf, just Cha instead of Int which gets a bonus. Fine by me.

Magical Talent: I dunno about this. I don't really like the idea of getting it at-will.

Skill Bonuses: Eh, I suppose it's alright. Having +UMD may not be the most balanced though (UMD is generally the best skill around, and this race gets a total of +3 to it).

Just my thoughts.

Cedrass
2010-06-21, 10:29 AM
Use Magic Device is too good a skill to give a bonus to it.

But aside from that, it's a pretty good race if a bit "flavor-less". What I mean is, look at races like Warforged and Catfolks and Shifters. They all have some flavorful and useful abilitie that makes them different from other races. Try adding something like it, to make your race more unique.

PS: At-will Prestidigitation is ok. It's still only a cantrip...

jiriku
2010-06-21, 11:24 AM
Races typically have a favored class, although many DMs dispense with the XP penalty for multiclassing. If you use favored classes, I'd suggest sorcerer is a good choice.

Ilmryn
2010-06-21, 11:44 AM
Races typically have a favored class, although many DMs dispense with the XP penalty for multiclassing. If you use favored classes, I'd suggest sorcerer is a good choice.

Yes, i forgot to add a favored class. It should be sorcerer or warlock.

volthawk: Well, i was talking about core races that everyone can get access to. I don't have RoTD.

Salbazier
2010-06-21, 07:02 PM
Well, the changeling basically get disguise self at will (lv 1 spell) so a lvl 0 spell at will should okay.

If bonus to UMD is a problem how about just make Spellcraft, UMD, and maybe concentration, if only because that skill is associated/necessary to spellcaters, always class skill? That give them flavor of always having magical potency or capability to understand magic.

Favored class... mmm, sorcerer fit better than warlock I think. Unless you develop their flavor to be a race that are created from some sort of fiendish (or fey?) magic influence. Like WoW blood elves or 4E tiefling

Why it has to be an elf anyway? 'magicblooded' seems like something that can be developed into a new race altogehter and it makes it more flavorful

AugustNights
2010-06-21, 07:18 PM
Prestigitation at will is only game breaking if your game takes place in a dry-cleaner's shop, however this race feels more Gnome-related than elven, I would recommend keeping the Secret Doors ability of Elves, or something similar. I do not think that this would push this race over on the side of imbalance, and would give them a more elven feel.

But that's only a personal thing. This race looks fine to me otherwise.

paddyfool
2010-06-22, 09:31 AM
Why it has to be an elf anyway? 'magicblooded' seems like something that can be developed into a new race altogehter and it makes it more flavorful

Or a template, perhaps, and be much more versatile:

Mageblooded template
+2 Cha, -2 Str
+2 Spellcraft
-1 to all saves against mundane (non-magical) effects
(or -2 to Fortitude saves, if that's too complicated)
May select one cantrip from the Wizard/Sorceror list to cast 3/day as a Su.
La: +0
EDIT: May not be applied to any race that already receives a racial bonus to Cha (go away, little Spellscales & lesser Aasimar)