PDA

View Full Version : The Sanjana [PEACH, 3.5e PrC]

Lord of Syntax
2010-06-22, 03:15 AM
THE SANJANAS:
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100511020938/assassinscreed/images/thumb/a/a8/Alta-assassins-creed.jpg/250px-Alta-assassins-creed.jpg
Image copyright Ubisoft.

Requirements:

Alignment: Non-lawful neutral.
Skills: Must have 5 ranks in each of: Hide, Move Silently, Bluff, Slight of Hand, Use Magic Device.
Infusions: Must have at least 2nd level infusions.
Special: Must be initiated by an existing member.
Special: Sneak Attack +1d6

There are some who see the undead as alive in there own way, some see them as horrifying evil that must be purged from existence. However, a sanjana just sees them as tools and companions to assist in what ever goals they have.
Due to persecution, they are always in the shadows, always hiding, always silent. They are assassins and bounty hunters to the powerful, always willing to betray their masters if a higher bidder appears.
The ones that do adventure are often just in it for the money, not to save such-and-such from the something-or-rathers.
Their artifice is focused on advanced weapons and ways to stay undetected, though they also use more typical items.

HD:
d4

Skill Points at 1st Level

(6 + Int modifier) ×4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level

6 + Int modifier.

Class skills:

The sanjana’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (any) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha), and Use Rope (Dex).

Sanjana
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|Infusions, Craft Reserve, Sneak Attack +2d6, Trapsense +1, Bonus Craft Feat, Infusion of Unlife, Corpse Rising
2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|Infuse Sneak Attack, Evasion, Retain Essence

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+3|Trapsense +2, Bonus Craft Feat, Sneak Attack +3d6, Death Attack

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Bonus Craft Feat, Undead Automatons

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Special Ability, Sneak Attack +4d6

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+5|Trapsense +4, Metamagic Spell Trigger, Rising Infusion

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+5|Special Ability, Sneak Attack +5d6

8th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+6|
+6|Trapsense +5, Bonus Craft Feat, Metamagic Spell Completion
9th|
+6/+1|
+3|
+6|
+6|Bonus Craft Feat, Sneak Attack +6d6
10th|
+7/+2|
+3|
+7|
+7|Trapsense +6, Special Ability, Sneak Attack +7d6, Magic Device Expertise, Greater Rising Infusion[/table]

Infusions:
This class progresses the infusions of an artificer at every level.

Sneak Attack:
The sanjana’s attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the sanjana flanks her target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, and it increases by 1d6 every two sanjana levels thereafter and at 10th level. Should the sanjana score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied.

Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet.

With a sap (blackjack) or an unarmed strike, a sanjana can make a sneak attack that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. She cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual -4 penalty.

A sanjana can sneak attack only living creatures with discernible anatomies—undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to sneak attacks. The sanjana must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. A sanjana cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment or striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.

Craft Reserve:
This class progresses the Craft Reserve of an artificer at every level.

Trap Sense (Ex):

At 1st level, a sanjana gains an intuitive sense that alerts her to danger from traps, giving her a +1 bonus on Reflex saves made to avoid traps and a +1 dodge bonus to AC against attacks made by traps. These bonuses rise to +2 when the sanjana reaches 3th level, to +4 when she reaches 6th level, to +4 when she reaches 8th level, to +5 at 15th, and to +6 at 10th level.

Trap sense bonuses gained from multiple classes stack.

Bonus Craft Feat:
A sanjana gains a free crafting feat or corpsecrafter feat at 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 9th levels.

Corpse Rising:
You can turn the bones or bodies of
dead creatures into undead skeletons or zombies (as the animate dead spell). Unless you include the normal material component for the spell (an onyx gem worth 25 gp per Hit Die of the undead) as part of the process, undead created by this ability crumble into dust after 1 minute per sanjana level. This is an at will ability.

Infusion of Undeath:
You can apply infusions to your undead as normal artificers can to constructs.

Infuse Sneak Attack:
When a sanjana strikes with a weapon infused by her or another magic item she created, she is granted a +1 bonus to the damage of the spell or weapon.

Retain Essence:
As the artificer ability.

Evasion (Ex):

At 2nd level and higher, a sanjana can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If she makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the sanjana is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless sanjana does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Undead Automatons:
At 4th level, a sanjana can fuse undead and construct, gaining the ability to graft weapons onto her Undead.

Special Abilities:

On attaining 5th level, and again at 7th and 9th levels, a sanjana gains a special ability of her choice from among the following options.

Crippling Strike (Ex)
A sanjana with this ability can sneak attack opponents with such precision that her blows weaken and hamper them. An opponent damaged by one of her sneak attacks also takes 2 points of Strength damage. Ability points lost to damage return on their own at the rate of 1 point per day for each damaged ability.

Defensive Roll (Ex)
The sanjana can roll with a potentially lethal blow to take less damage from it than she otherwise would. Once per day, when she would be reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by damage in combat (from a weapon or other blow, not a spell or special ability), the sanjana can attempt to roll with the damage. To use this ability, the sanjana must attempt a Reflex saving throw (DC = damage dealt). If the save succeeds, she takes only half damage from the blow; if it fails, she takes full damage. She must be aware of the attack and able to react to it in order to execute her defensive roll—if she is denied her Dexterity bonus to AC, she can’t use this ability. Since this effect would not normally allow a character to make a Reflex save for half damage, the sanjana’s evasion ability does not apply to the defensive roll.

Improved Evasion (Ex)
This ability works like evasion, except that while the sanjana still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks henceforth she takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless sanjana does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Opportunist (Ex)
Once per round, the sanjana can make an attack of opportunity against an opponent who has just been struck for damage in melee by another character. This attack counts as the sanjana’s attack of opportunity for that round. Even a sanjana with the Combat Reflexes feat can’t use the opportunist ability more than once per round.

Skill Mastery
The sanjana becomes so certain in the use of certain skills that she can use them reliably even under adverse conditions.
Upon gaining this ability, she selects a number of skills equal to 3 + her Intelligence modifier. When making a skill check with one of these skills, she may take 10 even if stress and distractions would normally prevent her from doing so. A sanjana may gain this special ability multiple times, selecting additional skills for it to apply to each time.

Slippery Mind (Ex)
This ability represents the sanjana’s ability to wriggle free from magical effects that would otherwise control or compel her. If a sanjana with slippery mind is affected by an enchantment spell or effect and fails her saving throw, she can attempt it again 1 round later at the same DC. She gets only this one extra chance to succeed on her saving throw.

Rising Infusion:
You can expend one 4th level infusion in order to cast Create Undead, as the spell.

Metamagic Spell Trigger (Su): At 6th level, an sanjana gains the ability to apply a metamagic feat she knows to a spell trigger item (generally a wand). She must have the appropriate item creation feat for the spell trigger item she is using. Using this ability expends additional charges from the item equal to the number of effective spell levels the metamagic feat would add to a spell.
For example, an sanjana can quicken a spell cast from a wand by spending 5 charges (4 additional charges), empower the spell by spending 3 charges, or trigger it silently by spending 2 charges. The Still Spell feat confers no benefit when applied to a spell trigger item.
An sanjana cannot use this ability when using a spell trigger item that does not have charges, such as prayer beads.

Metamagic Spell Completion (Su):
At 8th level, an sanjana gains the ability to apply a metamagic feat she knows to a spell completion item (generally a scroll). She must have the appropriate item creation feat for the spell completion item she is using. The DC for the Use Magic Device check is equal to 20 + (3 × the modified level of the spell). For example, applying the Empower Spell feat to a scroll of cone of cold, creating a 7th-level effect, has a DC of 20 + (3 × 7), or 41. An artificer can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + his Int modifier.

Magic Device Expertise:
At level 10, a sanjana gains a enhancement bonus to UMD checks equal to her sanjana level.

Greater Rising Infusion:
You can expend one 6th level infusion in order to cast Create Greater Undead, as the spell.

Morph Bark
2010-06-22, 03:42 AM
What. The Prince... what. I don't even.

But Rogue + Artificer seems to me like banana slices in strawberry ice cream. I'll read up on this closely in a bit but first: what is their HD size? Also, you might wanna drop the skill points to 6 per level instead of 8, since it isn't purely Rogue (or for Scouts) and due to the Artificer part they'd likely have high Int (remember, Wizards also have only 2 per level).

Also, entry requirements?

AustontheGreat1
2010-06-22, 03:48 AM
Its kind of disappointing...

When I look for a hybrid prestige class I kind of want it to give me some new and interesting abilities instead of just progressing like I just took levels in both class. Like how about letting you sneak attack with wands and stuff, or can you already do that? I don't know, that's my 2 cent, for what it's worth.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-06-22, 11:33 AM
Like how about letting you sneak attack with wands and stuff, or can you already do that? I don't know, that's my 2 cent, for what it's worth.

You can sneak attack with anything requiring an attack roll, and thus you can sneak attack with many wands.

That said, this class isn't particularly interesting in any aspects. It's just Rogue + Artificer, rather than an interesting blend of the themes of Rogue and Artificer to create a new and distinct class.

Color me unimpressed. You don't really seem to have a theme or concept for the class aside from Rogue + Artificer, and thus you're not going to get anything unique out of it. Back to the drawing board, IMHO.

Nanoblack
2010-06-22, 12:42 PM
Would be much improved upon the inclusion of some fresh abilities. Maybe reverse engineering traps or the inclusion of an intelligent item companion.

Lord of Syntax
2010-06-22, 12:44 PM
It is not done, this only got posted because I had to sleep, and just posted all my threads without thinking. It will make sense with the fluff and when I finish the abilities.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-06-22, 01:06 PM
It is not done, this only got posted because I had to sleep, and just posted all my threads without thinking. It will make sense with the fluff and when I finish the abilities.

:smallconfused:

But there IS no fluff aside from the image, and your entire class table is complete (and all the abilities explained). Are you saying you posted a class that was not, in fact, the class you intended to post? That seems a little odd to me...

It looks like this is a completed class, minus fluff and entry requirements. In the future, if you don't have a class finished, don't post a class that appears to be finished.

Lord of Syntax
2010-06-22, 01:37 PM
What happened was that I made the crunch, and was about to fluff it when I realized it was insanely late.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-06-22, 02:08 PM
What happened was that I made the crunch, and was about to fluff it when I realized it was insanely late.

Fair enough. But what about critiques on the crunch so far? The general opinion is that this really isn't anything more than two classes scrunched together, and that to make it unique in any way you're going to need some serious revision.

Fluff, as of the moment, appears to be "I'm a Rogue and an Artificer." I'm not sure how you can fluff it to both make sense, and be anything but that.

zenanarchist
2010-06-22, 07:04 PM
Minor nit pick/personal thing:

Find a different picture. The Prince was a pure combatant and his double blades don't really lend an air of "I'm picking locks, utilising magic wands and slipping unnoticed through the shadows".

That's just my opinion. The picture makes this look like a heavy damage dealing death dishing machine. Not so much an invisible tinkerer.

Lord of Syntax
2010-06-23, 10:51 AM
Not the real picture, it is an website that has that as the screw you, don't hotlink image. I fixed it.

The fluff I am working on, along with more abilities, is "I make all sorts of fun murder gizmos".

Mongoose87
2010-06-23, 12:32 PM
Perhaps this role is better served by a Swift Hunter-style feat, some sort of Silent Tinkerer or Crafty Thief, that advances sneak attack with artificer levels and *bleh* with rogue levels.

Lord of Syntax
2010-06-23, 01:46 PM
Before this point, it was a unfinished PrC that was unfluffed and had no unique abilities.

Siosilvar
2010-06-23, 04:57 PM
Don't include the prerequisite +1d6 Sneak Attack in your class table. You don't know how much they're actually going to come in with.

Make your Sneak Attack progression regular. I'd move it to every even level.

Don't advance two classes' features completely. Cut the rogue special abilities. Cut the artificer abilities from later. PrCs should have their own abilities, combining two classes in interesting ways. There are feats that let you progress two classes' features at once.

To clarify on that last point: Sneak Attack and Infusion progressions are okay, but the rest of the abilities that are the same as artificer/rogue ones should be dropped and replaced with ones that fit your theme.

EDIT: Dual-progression PrCs should advance the basic abilities of the two classes and has its own unique abilities. Applying this to your class, we're left with:
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Refl|Will|Special
1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|Infusions, Craft Reserve, Infusion of Unlife, Corpse Raising
2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|Sneak Attack +1d6, Infuse Sneak Attack
3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+3|Death Attack, Bonus Crafting Feat
4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Undead Automatons, Sneak Attack +2d6
5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|
6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+5|Sneak Attack +3d6, Raising Infusion
7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+5|
8th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+6|
+6|Sneak Attack +4d6
9th|
+6/+1|
+3|
+6|
+6|
10th|
+7/+2|
+3|
+7|
+7|Sneak Attack +5d6, Magic Device Expertise, Greater Raising Infusion[/table]

Infuse Sneak Attack, well, sucks. +1 damage? I'm quaking in my boots. If you meant for it to be +1 per level, then that's relatively okay, if a bit iffy.

EDIT2: Ideas for abilities!
Let your undead use part of your Sneak Attack damage.
You say "Their artifice is focused on advanced weapons and ways to stay undetected...." Show me this.