PDA

View Full Version : Alchemic Launcher [Weapon, PEACH]

Eldan
2010-06-22, 08:23 AM
Just a random little idea I had.

Alchemic Launcher

The alchemic launcher is a weapon developed by dwarven alchemists trying to find a new way to deploy alchemist's fire both in a more controlled and safe fashion than the traditional throwing flasks.
The launcher is a two-handed exotic ranged weapon. It uses flasks of alchemist's fire as ammunition and one flask is good for three shots before being used up. Reloading takes a full-round action.
The weapon has a range increment of fifteen feet, and requires a touch attack to hit. Being hit by the weapon deals 1d6 points of fire damage. On a critical hit, the target must additionally save against being set on fire, as by a flask of alchemist's fire.

Good idea? Bad? Overpowered? Weak? Too situational? Cool? Stupid?

Volthawk
2010-06-22, 08:31 AM
Cool. Maybe later you can have different versions of it. Like maybe an artillery one...

Eldan
2010-06-22, 11:39 AM
Of course!

Moradin's Breath

"But can we make it bigger?"

This version of the Alchemic Launcher is a ten-foot long monstrosity mounted on a cart, aimed and loaded by a team of four dwarven engineers. Every shot of Moradin's Breath requires five flasks of alchemist's fire and six full round actions to reload, though up to three people can contribute to the loading.
Instead of launching a single shot, Moradin's Breath fires a roaring column of fire, a line 40 feet long. Every target caught in the line takes 3d6 fire damage, with a reflex save (DC 10+1/2 the main engineer's base attack bonus+his intelligence modifier) for half damage, and additionally catch fire, as by a flask for alchemist's fire.

Findelwald Tungsten's Mechanical Dispenser of Flammable Alchemic Liquid for use as a Fire Ignition Device

"It's not difficult to make something just bigger. Everyone can do that. But making it actually useful? Well, that requires a gnome."

This small alchemical launcher, about a foot across and weighing five pounds, can hold a single flask of alchemist's fire, providing it with fifty charges. The device can be activated as a swift action, producing a flame an inch long, dealing one point of fire damage to anything it touches. By pressing the activation button for longer times, the flame can be maintained for longer times, requiring one charge per round.

Volthawk
2010-06-22, 11:42 AM
Of course!

Moradin's Breath

"But can we make it bigger?"

This version of the Alchemic Launcher is a ten-foot long monstrosity mounted on a cart, aimed and loaded by a team of four dwarven engineers. Every shot of Moradin's Breath requires five flasks of alchemist's fire and six full round actions to reload, though up to three people can contribute to the loading.
Instead of launching a single shot, Moradin's Breath fires a roaring column of fire, a line 40 feet long. Every target caught in the line takes 3d6 fire damage, with a reflex save (DC 10+1/2 the main engineer's base attack bonus+his intelligence modifier) for half damage, and additionally catch fire, as by a flask for alchemist's fire.

Findelwald Tungsten's Mechanical Dispenser of Flammable Alchemic Liquid for use as a Fire Ignition Device

"It's not difficult to make something just bigger. Everyone can do that. But making it actually useful? Well, that requires a gnome."

This small alchemical launcher, about a foot across and weighing five pounds, can hold a single flask of alchemist's fire, providing it with fifty charges. The device can be activated as a swift action, producing a flame an inch long, dealing one point of fire damage to anything it touches. By pressing the activation button for longer times, the flame can be maintained for longer times, requiring one charge per round.

Flamethrowers!

Again, I like.

Nanoblack
2010-06-22, 12:25 PM
Perhaps you could add in prices?

Eldan
2010-06-22, 02:26 PM
I would, if I had any idea on how to price these.

Knaight
2010-06-22, 02:41 PM
The default weapon should be pretty cheap, all it does is stretch alchemists fire further, most GMs would let you sling it so it doesn't give a range increase. As a mundane item, maybe 20 GP. Moradin's Breath is a siege weapon, maybe 2000 GP. And the last one is basically a blow torch, so I would suggest letting it add a masterwork bonus somewhere, and call it 350 GP for the bonus and a bit of extra.

Kurtmuran
2010-06-23, 12:29 AM
i tink i see one like that in other forum ><