PDA

View Full Version : In The Eye of the Storm - Part 2 (IC)



Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

The Glyphstone
2006-09-18, 08:01 PM
Part 1 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=play;action=display;num=1148462241)

Trillian

"Whatever you would like to know, sir. An entry-level storage account is guaranteed for up to ten thousand gold pieces, or equivalent market value for non-liquid assets. Larger deposits can be secured for additional fees, up to a reasonable amount. Our security is impeccable, magically reinforced against anything short of a rampaging dragon, or a local outpouring of the Blood War."

Dozo Li, Surd, Grimrock

As Surd and Dozo's sparring match winds down, Dozo's keen ears hear something large crashing through the bushes and trees. It doesn't sound like an ogre, but it's definitely coming closer.

(And.....cue Tonberry!)

tonberryking
2006-09-18, 09:18 PM
It's ... a giant sheep!?

A ram actually, nearly the size of a full grown pony, it is a thuggish brute if you ever saw one. Traipsing about the woods as if it owned the place it looks up with a scowl (and is it just you, or is he pawing at the ground as if about to charge?) before a calming voice echoes through the trees.

"Bobo? Did you wander off again?"

Gliding through the trees and bushes with nary a trace, a young girl approaches the ram without any trace of fear as the lug becomes docile by her side. She looks cut out for the woods, with leather armor and a large shield over her back, but the druid has no visible weapons on her, it would seem. She notices the foursome as if for the first time and waves.

Oh hello... Ah, I say, could any of you direct me to the nearest town?"

Winged One
2006-09-19, 12:14 AM
Maddok, alias Chase
"Actually, sir," the human among the two who are informing the captain of the guard says to both him and an exited gnome, "The mage was merely forced to flee. He was also an ogre, from what I could tell. He may run back to wherever he came from, or he may seek revenge, or he may do any number of other things."

KuH
2006-09-19, 04:42 AM
Dozoli

Dozo looks up at the noise. As the animal bursts into the clearing he takes up a defensive position, and then reduces the alert slightly as the druid shows up. Bobo? You call big goat ... Bobo? You are herder? Where are other animals? He asks in a puzzled manner.

And then he stops himself. You need not answer questions. I am not from here and know not your strange ways. I ask to learn. If you want town, it is that way. He gestures towards the town.

tonberryking
2006-09-19, 07:18 AM
Right off the bat too... The girl turns red with anger over something the shugenja said, and says as much.

Bobo's NOT a goat, he's a sheep!!"-- Ugh, anyway he's all I got at the moment; all I need though. But anyway, sir I heard that the local town was being harraunged by orcs and monsters and I came to see what I could do to help...

Asmodeus
2006-09-19, 10:06 AM
Trillian

"Good, good. I'll need to open.. uh... " Trillian counts on his fingers for a moment... "Me, Chuckles, Chase, Dozo, Surd, Grimrock, and a group... seven! I need to open seven accounts. The first should only be accessible by me. The last should be accessible by any of us, and the others should only be accessible by me, or their owner."

Trillian takes off his backpack and starts to unload his treasures. "Split the coin equally among all seven accounts, and put these gems into the group account."

Trillian gives up all of the gems and coins which were taken from the ogres.

KingRexII
2006-09-19, 10:59 AM
Surd

Surd mimics Dozo's defensive stance as the sheep crashes through the forest -- like a larger and greener colored shadow. He listens to them talk, and he sports a slight smile as looks at Bobo. Ha... sheep... he thinks idly.

As he hears the girl mention 'orcs' in the same breath as 'monsters', Surd snaps his head toward her with a frown. His jutting lower teeth makes him look accidentally menacing. "No. Ogres attack; not orcs," Surd corrects her.

tonberryking
2006-09-19, 11:23 AM
Oh, Ah excuse me...
The girl's cheeks rose up as she realized the unintentional offense she may have given to the large monk and the nods apologetically before brushing at the hemm of her skirt, awkwardly trying to come up with a way to change the subject


Well, I'd better hurry along then, if it's such a threat... Are you heading to the village as well?"

She doesn't seem to realize the attack's allready been dealt with...

Seffbasilisk
2006-09-19, 01:34 PM
Hallnsfarth

"Like Chase said, the mage fled, the others we cut down, but the mage managed to escape. He did turn into a type of ogre before he fled, a weird one with blue skin. I don't think he's eager to tangle with us again, and without his ogre goons he'll be hard-pressed to attack the town again. We were planning to stay somewhat in the area for the next few days, keeping an eye out. If we see him, we'll aim to finish him off. If you want however, we can bring you the heads of the one we cut down in the chase, and the two we slew in thier camp. We let one that we'd injured burn to death in it's tent unfortunatly, so we can't bring you that one's head. So aside from the two we slew when they attacked the town, we slew four more. I personally greivously injured the ogre-mage thing. It's hard to injure, if it comes at you again, I'd suggest using some sort of propelled flame. It seems weak verses fire."

He paces back and forth as he tells this, then he stops, faces the captain squarely and says "We should be in the area for a few days, like I said before. You're welcome to engage our services for a time, but afterwards we'll most likely be leaving. Sir Gnome." He continues in Gnommish "I know this town's guards have left much to be desired, but if you like, I can propose to my allies that we accompany your caravan for a fee. Better guards you'll be hard pressed to find."

(OOC: Knew there was a reason I took Gnommish)

The Glyphstone
2006-09-19, 04:57 PM
H-Bomb and Chase, at the Guard Post
The captain nods to Hallnsfarth and Maddock.
"We'll be on the lookout for him. And once more, thank you for what you've done...we certainly have not got along very well, but Hapi Town is deeply in your debt.

I would try to find some sort of compensation, but it remains that the time the ogres spent here depleted our supplies dramatically, and time will pass before Hapi is prosperous again. In the meantime, though, consider any tavern or inn charges you or your companions accumulate during the remainder of your stay to be paid for...it's the least I can do."

Tensfiddle jumps again when Hallnsfarth switches into Gnomish, responding in the same language.
"Really? You'd do that? Excellent, so very nice of you, I was going to ask if you would go with us! With grand ogre slayers as guards, nobody will mess with us or steal our silver!"

Trillian, at the First Bank of Anachronism
"Very well, sir. Six individual accounts, one mutual account. Assuming you have the opening fee of twenty-five gold for each account, all I need now is your signature and bloodmark on this form, and that of each of the account beneficiaries you mentioned, plus the above for each of those intended to benefit from the mutual account."

He takes out seven sheets of paper, each filled out with assorted legalise and details on the operation of a bank account, with spaces for signatures at the bottom next to an empty square box shape.



(Rolled randomly, unfortunately, Mr. Captain does not speak Gnome...he got Dwarven instead.:) Pity, that...)

Seffbasilisk
2006-09-19, 05:31 PM
Hallnsfarth

"It's a nice start. Chase? Do you think you could run back to camp and let them know about the situation in town? They might appreciate it. I'll be working the details of the other job here. Thanks."

Hallsnfarth then switches back to Gnommish "Well we will have a fee, but we can negotiate that with the entire group. For now, lets stick to the basics. We'd travel along with you, and fight off threats that attack. If attacks can be avoided, we're not under any obligation to tackle them, in that situation it'll be up to us whether or not we wish to clear that out. Payment half up front, and half upon completion. That sound good for you? By the way, I'm keeping this in gnommish because I don't want to insult our dear captain by insinuating that he can't keep the roads around his town clear of bandits and the like."

Winged One
2006-09-19, 06:01 PM
"Yes, Mr. Zukuri." Maddok says, leaving for the campsite.

I'll have him arive at whatever point in the conversation Glyph tells me to.

Asmodeus
2006-09-19, 07:37 PM
Trillian

"Hmm.. We can set up my bloodmark now for all the accounts, and the rest the first time they make a withdrawal. They will just have to have me present when they do it. Take the fees out of the gold for the opening deposit."

Trillian then submits himself to whatever requirements are for the bloodmark thing

KuH
2006-09-20, 12:15 AM
Dozoli

Oh, you keep big sheep, not goat. No more trouble here, I think. But I am tired of waiting. We could go to town with you. Good idea, Surd?

KingRexII
2006-09-20, 10:39 AM
Surd

"Yes, killed ogres already, but mage ran away," Surd affirms in his broken Common. "Tired of waiting, yes," he agrees, "I go to town too. Town not very far." The hulking half-orc begins to pack up his stuff.

The Glyphstone
2006-09-20, 04:47 PM
Maddock
(Up to you when you meet the returning group.)

Trillian
The bloodmark is a surprisingly easy process - Trillian holds out his hand, and the clerk pricks it with a silver needle, touching the blood on the needle to the empty square on the form. Though just a tiny droplet, it spreads to fill the entire square evenly, drying to a reddish-brown. They repeat the process for the other acount, and the clerk nods.

"There, sir. Your treasure will be stored here. If you wish to withdraw an amount, take one, or several, of those slips there, and present it to any of our major branches. Assuming you pass the blood test, your funds will be made available immediately, or within one day of the request."

He gestures towards a pile of smaller papers off to the side - small forms that resemble checks, but bearing only two blank lines for a name and amount, and another empty bloodmark square.

"Your funds, and the gems you have indicated, will be deposited immediately. However, I cannot legally open the other accounts without the presence of their depositors - we take every precaution here to prevent possible fraud."

Asmodeus
2006-09-20, 07:31 PM
Trillian

"Pish Posh! Of course you can open the other accounts. Thats why I said to make it so I was part owner on them as well. Open the other accounts in my name, and I'll add the rest of them as beneficiaries at a later point in time."

The Glyphstone
2006-09-21, 06:13 AM
"That is acceptable, sir. The remaining accounts will be attributed to you, but you will need to be present for the change of ownership."

He takes several more bloodmark samples from Trillian, then carries the registry forms and the bag of money and gems into the back room.

(Take 1 HP worth of damage, Asmo...you've been stabbed 8 times with a needle in about 30 seconds.L))

Winged One
2006-09-21, 07:34 PM
Maddok, alias Chase

A tall young man walks into camp. He wears practical clothes, with the seeming exception a dark green hooded cloak with grubby white trim, and the fact that his studded leather armor is very well made. The hood of his cloak is down, showing his unruly mass of brown hair. His slightly tanned face has a scar on the left cheek and an unkempt beard. A worn mace, still with dried ogre blood on it, hangs from his belt, and his blue eyes show perpetual amusement at some secret rather then the deeply rooted cynicism and paranoia that mark his true personality. As he enters, he announces to the three men there "Okay, the captain of the guard back there no longer seems to think that we're going to destroy his city, and he's paying for our rooms at an inn for the rest of our stay in town as gratitude for the ogre job. Mr. Zukuri was talking in Gn-" He stops when he notices the girl, pauses for long enough to think somebody would be hurt by now if she was here to kill us, and says "Hello, ma'am. This is Grimrock, a servant of Moradin; this is Surd, the most trustworthy person I've ever met; and this is Dozo Li, for whom I appologize for every single thing he has ever said to you, unless he hasn't spoken to you yet. They call me Chase," pointing to each as he introduces them and giving a bit of a bow when he gives his alias.

Asmodeus
2006-09-21, 07:38 PM
Trillian

Trillian will go looking for Hallnsfarth and Maddock, and assuming he doesn't find them waiting for him at the entrance to town, he'll wait there for them.

Seffbasilisk
2006-09-21, 08:26 PM
Hallnsfarth

After talking it out with the gnome (you didn't say anything 'bout that glyph) Hallnsfarth heads back to the entrance to meet up with Trillian, hoping the ankle-biter hasn't gotten them in trouble.

Asmodeus
2006-09-21, 10:54 PM
Trillian

Seeing Hallnsfarth, Trillian will say "Hey, chuckles. How did it go on your end? And what happened to Chase?"

Seffbasilisk
2006-09-21, 11:27 PM
Hallnsfarth

Resigned to being called chuckles, and still in somewhat of a good mood Hallnsfarth says "We've got free room and board in the town for a while, and i'm negotiating with a merchant about a cushy job as caravan guards. I sent Chase back to get the others from camp. Why? What have you accomplished?"

Asmodeus
2006-09-22, 07:40 AM
Trillian

Trillian's face lights up at the news that they won't have to sleep out in the woods. "YES! No Stinkroot sleeping bags! No Poison Ivy underwear! No creepycrawly bugs except for Dozo!

And as for me, I've accomplished exactly what I set out to do. I've successfully led a team of expert monster hunters off into the wilderness to slay a bunch of mean old ogres, and lived to tell about it. Oh, I put the money in the bank too. The gems didn't get sold because the guy at the jewelery shop creeped me out. I wasn't scared mind you. I just got that bad ju-ju feeling, you know?"

KuH
2006-09-22, 10:35 AM
Dozoli

Dozo's eyebrows wrinkle at Chase's introduction, as if he's trying to figure out if he's been insulted or this is just the strange barbarian habits in action. He seems to assume it is the latter. Hello, Chase. We were just coming to town. This red-faced girl is Bobo sheepherder ... or, no, I didn't get your name properly. You introduced your sheep but not yourself. Let me introduce myself. I am Li. Dozoli. The blue-robed pilgrim with the staff bows formally to the lady. He then turns and bows to the sheep. Strange barbarians. Naming a sheep. But if it is indeed named then it should be treated with respect. Who knows, perhaps it is inhabited by the soul of her great-grandfather.

Seffbasilisk
2006-09-22, 11:58 AM
Hallnsfarth

Looking quizzically at Trillian Hallnsfarth says "You lead a team? Huh. And here I was thinking that I lead the group. Regardless, need me to come along to get the gems sold? It should be a while until Chase returns, so we have some time to kill."

tonberryking
2006-09-22, 02:32 PM
Lyrelle's rosey cheeks color for a moment before returning to their nromal palor as she returns Chase's introduction with a bow. "Ahh.. well, I must say you're the polite one, dear. My name is Lyrelle, a druid and shepardess by trade, though Bobo is my flock alltogether at the moment..."

She pats Bobo on the head, who in turn looks at Chase with a withering "Don't you dare" look" as Lyrelle turns to the shugenja.

I must say though I'm a little confused... Wasn't there an issue of ogres or some suich brutes harasing the nearbye village?"

Winged One
2006-09-22, 05:54 PM
"Nice to meet you, Lyrelle." Maddok says with a smile. The tracker returns Bobo's look with a stare of his own. Not looking away from the ram's gaze or blinking, he continues "Yes, there was a problem with ogres here. It has been dealt with."

KingRexII
2006-09-22, 11:45 PM
Surd

Surd blushes and bows neatly. He smiles his toothy grin and waves sheepishly ((or is that goatly?)).

"Yes, we dealt with ogres," Surd specifies proudly.

KuH
2006-09-23, 09:02 PM
Dozoli

And how did you hear about ogres, Lyrele? Perhaps you can tell us that tale as we walk towards the city.

tonberryking
2006-09-23, 09:21 PM
Lyrelle excuses herself for a moment and comes back from the woods with a large draft horse with barding behind her. Bobo for some reason doesn't seem happy to see him as Lyrelle leads two animals with her.


"Well, I should say, I heard rumors while traveling 'long the roads, but the biggest tip off were some birds and animals migrating away from this general area. It seems that the ogres weren't being good nieghbors.."

Asmodeus
2006-09-24, 05:05 PM
Trillian

"I suppose we could, but I think we'd be better off just trying to sell them at the next town. The guy didn't look like he had enough money bother shaking down."

KingRexII
2006-09-25, 10:57 AM
Surd

Surd smiles as things seem to be going quite well for him and the odd little band he's joined. As he walks along the path back to town, he listens to the others talk. ((I'm assuming we're walking back now.)) His eyes wander toward roving birds and other wildlife as well as Lyrelle's two animals.

Wonder what's next... Surd thinks.

Asmodeus
2006-09-25, 04:10 PM
Trillian

"Hey? Do you hear that? It sounds like a group of people coming out of the woods, and their voices sound familiar."

Trillian turns and looks to see where his companions and the new kid are coming from?

{OOC: *pushes the game forward?*}

The Glyphstone
2006-09-25, 04:26 PM
(Agreed. Two groups should be in sight of each other now, for game expediency.)

Asmodeus
2006-09-25, 08:00 PM
Trillian

Trillian raises his hand and waves at Surd, and the rest.

KuH
2006-09-25, 11:07 PM
Dozoli

Dozo bows to Trillian. Lyrelle. You should meet our little Yakuza friend, Tlirrian.

tonberryking
2006-09-25, 11:10 PM
Lyrelle looks between Dozoli and Trillian confused, almost have as blank a look as her ram.

"What's a Yakuza?"

Asmodeus
2006-09-25, 11:13 PM
Trillian

"Me! I'm a Yakuza! That means I do whatever I want, and everyone has to do what I tell them to.

Its really fun. Do you want to be a Yakuza too? I can make you an honorary member, and show you the secret handshake!"

tonberryking
2006-09-25, 11:21 PM
Lyrelle

She totally buys it.

Oh, well, ah, that's rather kind of you, but I'm allready afilliated, you might say..."

Winged One
2006-09-25, 11:57 PM
"Trillian is joking. He has no more of an idea what a Yakuza is then anybody else here who isn't Dozo does. It's just that Dozo calls him that. Anyway, this is Trillian, who does exactly what he says he will, and this is Hallnsfarth Zukuri, our leader. Trillian, Mr. Zukuri, this is Lyrelle, a druid who found our camp while looking for those ogres we killed."

KuH
2006-09-26, 05:12 AM
Dozo

Dozo looks around and clears his throat a Yakuza is one who comes from a powerful family, and has a large and strong roof over his head to protect him from the full consequences of his actions, as anyone knows.

And now, leader of this group, what do you have planned? *Will you still be the most needy of my mission to succour the barbarians of the world? If so, I will continue to join you, though I still have yet to see what I learn from it ... no, that is not correct. Surd has taught me that even a barbarian can act with honor. Hmmm. I must think on that. He looks momentarily confused and a little shaken.

Asmodeus
2006-09-26, 09:01 AM
Trillian

Trillian doesn't bother to correct Chase's claim that Hallnsfarth is the leader. She must be joking. Everyone knows that he's the true leader.

When Dozo asks his question, Trillian replies "Well, under my super-awesome guidance, Hallnsfarth has gotten us rooms for the night gratis. So we don't have to sleep outside in the stinky sticky nasty forest. And I've decided that we will in fact take the job as guards for the Caravan. We need to move on to the next town.

Hey Chuckles! When did you say that the caravan leaves?"

KingRexII
2006-09-26, 09:03 AM
Surd

Surd smiles proudly at Dozo's compliment, his face beaming like a pale green moon. *

"Yes, when we leave?" he says, anxiously looking toward the warmage for answers.

((EDIT: Simu-post!))

Seffbasilisk
2006-09-27, 10:36 PM
Hallnsfarth

Standing solidly, he sighs in exasperation at Trillian's remarks and quietly says to Dozo "You're a while away from your 'strong roof'. *Keep that in mind." Then turning away, he speaks up for the whole group to hear "Haven't set the departure time yet. Also, Trillian's right about that one thing. *We do have free room and board in any inn in the town. *The Captain was finally seeing light. *The town's lacking the means to fully repay us, so this will have to do. *The caravan job I set up is with a gnommish merchant." Then in gnommish "If you can fully comprehend this, then stick around after this. *The delay won't kill anyone." *Back in common he says "The merchant believes, and I agree, that most bandits hearing of us will think twice before trying to tackle any caravan we're with. *So basically we'll have the relative comfort of a caravan, supplies provided, and we'll be paid for simply traveling along with them. *Any of you who don't want to, speak up. *It's best we get our problems resolved from the start. *I'm going to work out the details with him once i'm sure we can commit to this. *If no one has any problems with that, Chase? *Can you go with Surd and Trillian, find a place you three can agree on and secure rooms for us. *If you have any difficulty, send Surd back, and I'll come to deal with it. *Trillian? *After securing the room, can you try to find a different place to fence the gems? *There can't be only one jewler in town. *If not, hold on to them and we'll try again in another town. *Dozo? *You said something about communing with your ancestors last night. *If you need to do that again, that's fine, just remember to find the others to know where we're staying for the night. *I prefer us to be together in case of something going wrong. *If you decide to get a room on your own, that's fine too, just keep it near our rooms. *Chase? *I'm leaving deciding the rooming up to you. *Lyrelle? *Can I have a word with you after this? *Thanks. *Lets get to it people!"

He rattles it all off, then stands and waits for people to start to move before waving anyone who stayed aside from Lyrelle in close to talk.

tonberryking
2006-09-27, 10:53 PM
Lyrelle, for her part seems halfway confused and amazed at the pace set by the gnome and nods, content to keep to herself and petting her horse in the meanwhile

KuH
2006-09-27, 10:56 PM
Dozoli

Dozo follows instructions like a good pilgrim. He also drops by the church to borrow some interesting reading material again.

Winged One
2006-09-28, 01:06 AM
"Ash mairna zox piva-qon.* It will be done." Maddok says, conveying as usual no hint as to his true thoughts. Damnit! I could pass off sleeping outside as only being a bit of a loner before, but now I'd have to go against a direct order, and that would be so out of keeping with what they expect from Chase that they'd get suspicious. Even if I get a room for myself, they might hear me binding through the walls if they're too thin, and I'll still have to get rid of the chalk dust somehow. And I can't exactly go off on my own, not with that last ogre still out there. He seems like the sort to pick off a lone enemy, and he could probably kick my ass. He beckons with both of his hands at Trillian and Surd as he strides into town at a pace that will be comfortable for the halfling, cloak trailing behind him, in search of some places to stay.

*Celestial, roughly translates to "by these actions I may be doomed."
Bluff to seem like the celestial phrase is not what it is. May not be necessary. (1d20+14=19) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=642993) Do I need to roll Gather Information to find some more inns?

Seffbasilisk
2006-09-28, 01:20 AM
(OOC: It's mostly for Tonberry...)

Hallsnfarth

As the other bustle around, Hallnsfarth stands there, like the eye of the storm. His brown hair pulled back by his helm, yet still brushing against his mithril chain shirt, the elf stands tall at six foot even. Slim, and weighing only about a hundred and fifty pounds, the elf seems more suited to being a rogue then a warmage, yet anyone who's ever looked him in the eye can see his inner fire, and any who's seen him in battle know that he's far from a shadow lurker. He holds his buckler and spear confidently, and the worn longsword at his hip show that he's used to using it. The pack on his back is tight and light so that he has maximum mobility. The rest of his clothing is leathers and thick cloths cut in ways to allow movement while still offering a layer of protection. A few pouches hang from his belt, and the most prominent has a quick-release snap, and looks like it's been used quite a bit more then the sword.

Asmodeus
2006-09-28, 08:03 AM
Trillian

"If there was another jeweller in town, I'd have settled the gem situation already. Like I said, we'll dump them in the next town.

Anyways, I'm going to go with you for discussion of terms with the gnome. Remember, I've got experience with bargaining and making contracts."

tonberryking
2006-09-28, 08:38 AM
(oops... got the races wrong)

Lyrelle waits patiently but looks up from her horse at the *ELF* curiously. "Um... What did you need from me, exactly?"

Seffbasilisk
2006-09-28, 12:15 PM
Hallnsfarth

Speaking curtly to Trillian, Hallsnfarth says "Yes. Great experiance. He's excited about working with us. Lets keep it that way. I need you to help Chase with dealing with the innkeepers. I don't want to be called away from my negotiations" "and I doubt you speak gnommish anyway."

After dealing with Trillian, Hallnsfarth turns to the human girl and says "What were you doing looking for ogres?"

KingRexII
2006-09-28, 03:47 PM
Surd

Surd hops happily along with Trillian and Chase, happy to do something helpful.

Asmodeus
2006-09-28, 10:41 PM
Trillian

Trillian shrugs, but doesn't go anywhere.

Winged One
2006-09-29, 12:41 AM
"If you don't want to come with us, I can always get you a room infested with as many insects as possible." Maddok calls back, not slowing his pace. It is unclear weather he wants it to seem like a joke or not.

Threats of minor discomfort FTW! ;D

Asmodeus
2006-09-29, 07:38 AM
Trillian

"I'm sure you'll be fine without me, Chase."

Seffbasilisk
2006-09-29, 08:31 AM
Hallnsfarth

"Trillian? Patience worn out a long time ago. I can't baby-sit you and deal with all I have to here. Go with Chase."

Asmodeus
2006-09-29, 08:57 AM
Trillian

Trillian shrugs but doesn't go anywhere.

Seffbasilisk
2006-09-29, 12:20 PM
Hallnsfarth

An exasperated look on his face, Hallnsfarth gives Chase a 'can I get a hand here?' look complete with gestures, before turning and walking a few paces away with Lyrelle where he asks her "Again, I ask, why were you looking for ogres? A girl your age hunting ogres alone with her goat?"

KuH
2006-09-29, 12:52 PM
Dozo

Now if psycho-san had asked me first, he would have known not to call that curly horned monster a goat. I wonder who will win. The sheep or the mage. :)

Seffbasilisk
2006-09-29, 01:14 PM
(OOC: Can shatter work on things like a goat's horns?)

tonberryking
2006-09-29, 01:18 PM
"Bobo's a SHEEP, NOT a goat!!"

Lyrelle flusters and hmphs with a stamp of her feet, second time today she's been accused of being in posession of a goat. The uh... Not Goat, Bobo also seems incensed along with his mistress and lowers his horns at the elf.

"Anyway I'm a druid, sir. I'm quite capable of taking care of myself and it was the care of these lands that I game to investigate the ogre problem here... But you and your friends seem to have finished cleaning house, as it were..."

((OOC I think the horns, though mostly unliving matter, probaby as natural weapons count as "Can't Shatter". I mean, you can't tap some beast's claws and expect it, can you?))

The Glyphstone
2006-09-29, 03:32 PM
(OOC: Can shatter work on things like a goat's horns?)

Not unless you'll let me shatter your teeth later in the game... ;)

Winged One
2006-09-29, 04:27 PM
"Trillian, why do you not want to go with us?"

Asmodeus
2006-09-29, 04:36 PM
Trillian

"Because I want to be there for the negotiations of my team.

Its my responsibility as leader to make sure that we get the best deal."

Winged One
2006-09-29, 04:56 PM
"So much for my previous belief about you. I used to think that you had something against lying, but that clearly disproves that."

Seffbasilisk
2006-09-29, 04:56 PM
Hallnsfarth

"Whoa! *Calm down. *I'm dealing with a lot right now. *And i'm not exactly a shepard so excuse the lack of 'knowledge about animal husbandry at a glance'. *Control your ram before I turn it over to one of the chefs here. Also, these ogres were enough to raze a town to the ground had we not been there to prevent it. *What makes you think you were capable of defeating them?"

Overhearing Chase's question and Trillian's reply, Hallnsfarth sighs mightily, turns, and says
"Trillian. *You're not the leader, you're not in charge of negotiations, and we're going to be conversing in gnommish. *Do you even know gnommish?"

tonberryking
2006-09-29, 05:22 PM
"I didn't say I was going to just walk right up and slay the whole bunch, sir... I wanted to do what i could to help... And what difference does it make if I'm a girl... Why, you sound like the lunkhead brothers I have who can't even lace up their own boots, let alone manage a flock...

Asmodeus
2006-09-29, 05:25 PM
Trillian

"Of course I am.

But no, I don't know gnommish."

Seffbasilisk
2006-09-29, 08:00 PM
Hallnsfarth

"Your 'lunk-head' brothers may be correct if you're putting yourself up as a symbol of the female gender amoung humans. What you would have done, by what you've said, is lurked around until discovered, and then been promptly killed, no doubt putting up a 'good fight' before expiring. Thank heavens elvish women aren't so idiotic. Though that may explain your race's swelling numbers. Irregardless, you will refrain from insulting any of my company unless you have solid backing for said insult. As for managing a flock, it looks like you can only handle a flock of one. That is, if you handle the flock and the flock does not handle you. Again I digress. What would have been your course of action had you come accross the ogre camp. Bear in mind there were six of them and a mage."

Twisting around, Hallnsfarth says "Of course you're not. No one in thier right mind would stand for it. And if you can't even understand the language the negotiations will be taking place in, then what is your purpose in being there, even if you were as you seem to have mislead yourself into believing?"

He then spins back around to face Lyrelle for her response.

Asmodeus
2006-09-29, 10:48 PM
Trillian

Trillian wonders if Hallnsfarth with make himself dizzy keeping both conversation going, and moves to a position where that is more likely to happen.

Leaning over a little so Lyrelle can see his face, Trillian says "You don't have to listen to him if you don't want, Madam. He's grouchy because I won't let him be the leader today. Don't take anything he says personally.

(Back to Hallnsfarth)And anyways, how do you know that you aren't the one who I have mislead into believing that I melead myself into believing something that is completely misleading? Or peheraps you believe that I have mislead yourself into believing something misleading about me? It could be that I believe that I mislead myself into believing something that is misleading, but it doesn't matter since I'm the one who believes it.

(Back to Lyrelle) Can you beleive how this guy?

(Back to Hallnsfarth) I mislead myself into believing that you were misleading my beliefs about myself, but in reality, the only belief that was misleading was your beleif in believing the misleading beliefs of my leadership.

(Back to Lyrelle) I don't beleive we've been formally introduced. I'm Trillian. Its a pleasure to meet you.

(Back to Hallnsfarth) So, where are you and the gnome going to be doing the negotiations anyways? There would be no point in my going since I don't understand the language, but if something happens and we need your assistance, I would need to know where to find you."

Seffbasilisk
2006-09-29, 11:32 PM
Hallnsfarth

"Surd? *Make an amendment to the contract you signed with Trillian here. *He keeps this up, and he gets blasted. *Chase? *Get this clown outta here. *Lyrelle? *Sorry for his hyperactivity, I haven't beaten him to near-death today. *Trillian, if I hear seven more words out of you in the next hour and there is not a life and death situation that requires my attention I will not be responsible for what I do to you. *Lyrelle? *You were saying?"

Hallnsfarth waves to Surd, then waves Chase over, rolls his eyes to Lyrelle, and readies himself to blast Trillian.

tonberryking
2006-09-30, 12:26 AM
There's just some stunned silence as the double tirade goes on, although Lyrelle seems ready to brain (what little there is) Hallnsfarth in a rage at having been so callously addressed. Bobo doesn't look very happy either and was probably entertaining simple thoughts of "Kill" And "Break" before the two uh... leaders begin to bircker, the results make him look as if his head hurts...

She then summarily stalks off to find a place to tether her horse.

Seffbasilisk
2006-09-30, 12:30 AM
Hallnsfarth

In a voice as cold as a crypt, Hallnsfarth will brook no more interferance and says
"Answer my question druid."

KingRexII
2006-09-30, 12:43 AM
Surd

Surd places himself squarely in front of the elf, and for once, he shows a grimmer side.

He looks straight into the warmage's eyes and states plainly and evenly, "Master Alden always says: 'You cannot control other people; you can only control your actions.' *Please control your power -- it very dangerous. *Trillian words are moving air, nothing more. *And I not think any answer from girl will make you happy. *Only time will tell of their trusty-ness. *If not, I will be on your side. *I promise." *His last sentence is heavy and thick with resolve. *"Please go to your talk."

((If Hallns has no rebuttal, Surd will continue. *Otherwise, strike the next part.))

And turning to Trillian, he says, "Maybe it time for no more words? *Time for action." *After just a moment's pause to look pleadingly into Trillian's eyes, Surd takes off toward the center of town to look for a place to stay, trusting -- perhaps ignorantly so -- that he will follow.

((Sorry, Seff, I'm off to bed. *Will continue tete-a-tete tomorrow.))

Winged One
2006-09-30, 01:33 AM
Maddok stops, takes a piece of chalk out of his backpack, and makes a few tally marks on the ground, trying to count the multiple negatives. After a while, he says "I think that what he's really saying is that this whole 'him being leader' thing is a joke, albiet one that isn't funny in the least to anybody but him. But I'd have to see it written down and go over it for about half an hour to be completely sure."

Asmodeus
2006-09-30, 12:29 PM
Trillian

"Surd, you are a genteman and a schooler. But anyways, I still wanted to know one thing. And I've only got 6 words to do it with! Keep count for me so I don't go over.

(At Hallnsfarth) Hallnsfarth(1), if(2) trouble(3) find(4) Trillian(5), where(6) Trillian(5) find(4) Hallnsfarth(1)?

(At Surd) That was 6 right? Do I get anymore?I hate those speedy-checkout lines at the open air market, with 15 items or less. Grandma Nickerbocker always had 2 items but 30 of each, so she would make it crawl to a slow. Never saw one that had only 6 items or less though."

Seffbasilisk
2006-09-30, 04:51 PM
Hallnsfarth

To Trillian "Chase Know Where. *You Go With Chase." Then turning to Surd and Chase, "I'm using my actions to make sure he doesn't jeapordize our standing here. *We're finally getting established in a way that will secure us jobs and respect where we go. *I've had to demean myself too much in the past. *I'm not going through that again. *He will cooperate. *We will move on. *And he will not continue in these efforts to frustrate our advancement. *I don't care whether it's intentional or not, he's not to do it. *Try to keen an eye on him if you can. *My patience with him wore out a long time ago. *And I'm trying to figure out exactly what the druid was up to. *No one in thier right mind would head in against a superior foe without a plan. *If the items she would utilize in her plan might prove useful to the group as a whole, I was going to offer her a spot on the team. *Now I'd really appreciate it if people stopped trying to second guess me. *I haven't lead you wrong yet, and I'm doing my damnest not to despite efforts of some. *Now right now I'm going to try to salvage what I can with the druid, then go to the negotiations for our next job. *You can trust me to do this, or you can't. *There's no middle ground here. *Either help me, or don't. *Irregardless, I need to focus. *So could you please take Trillian, and go with Chase to secure lodgings? *If you all want to sleep outside, that's fine. *But I personally would enjoy having a roof of some kind over my head and I think Trillian would too. *So please just go."

Hallnsfarth pauses for a second, then says to Trillian. *"That's it. *Patience is officially gone. *I am tired of your ****. *Chase? *Get him out of here before I don't leave enough for a cleric to revive. *If he's still within my sight in thirty seconds..."

(OOC: Damn auto-filter. Recognize the 'spoon' for what it was written as.)

Asmodeus
2006-09-30, 05:27 PM
Trillian

Trillian says "Alright. I've got things to do. Surd, can you do me a favor? Can you go ask that Druid what she's doing for supper? Tell her I'd like to treat her to a nice meal. I'd do it myself, but I need to take care of some business. Tell her I'll meet her at the inn if she accepts.

I'll see you later."

Trillian walks away, not towards the inn, and not with Chase.

Seffbasilisk
2006-09-30, 05:43 PM
Hallnsfarth

Hallnsfarth starts vibrating with rage, then slowly calms himself down, quietly repeating a mantra in elvish to himself and focusing on his breathing. He then turns to Lyrelle with a forced smile and says "He's a worse threat to my sanity then any monster we might face. So tell me. Exactly who and how where you planning to 'help'?"

(OOC: Anyone who knows elvish and is close enough to overhear hears him chanting "If I stay strong and later I can watch him breathe his last in exquiste magical agony.")

KingRexII
2006-09-30, 11:21 PM
Surd

Surd leaves Hallns and Trillain, troubled that his meager offerings of wisdom, internalized from his master's teachings, did not bring about a change in either the elf's or the halfling's attitude. Surd reiterates Trillian's request to Lyrelle without allowing her much time to respond. He chases after Chase and accompanies him where he goes.

tonberryking
2006-10-01, 11:25 AM
Lyrelle sighs, wishing she wasn't badgered by the elf before replying

"Who do you think I was going to help? The ogres? I was heading to this town to see if I could help the towspeople against them, is all..."

Seffbasilisk
2006-10-01, 12:02 PM
Hallnsfarth

Sighing in exasperation at this annoying little chit of a girl who apparently believed herself superior, Hallnsfarth says
"The town guard had long since stopped sending people out, and were instead turning to the defensive, like a turtle pulling all limbs inside it's shell. *How did you think you were going to help them is what I'm really asking."

Winged One
2006-10-01, 10:26 PM
"Ma'am, I think he just wants to know how powerful you are." Maddok says before walking to the inn with Surd, at a normal pace. I need to have a bit of a talk with Trillian. I can certainly understand wanting the thumb one's nose at authority, but maybe he can be taught to realize that one should save their energy for authorities that cause suffering.

Seffbasilisk
2006-10-01, 10:31 PM
Hallnsfarth

"And in what areas. That's what I've been trying to ask for the last four pages few minutes."

tonberryking
2006-10-02, 08:36 PM
((Okay... now to recollect myself and figure a way to supplement everyone without spending my future rewards on ale and whores...))

Lyrelle is caught up in the rush of the team she seemed to have followed as she tries to tend to her horse (and Bobo, ever the sucker for attention) so it's no surprise that her reactions are fairly off; she barely stammers anything when the dinner invitation is granted and can only nod as she tries to get he horse settled. And then all she gets off is a quizical look to Maddok before she realizes he was talking about-- the elf who's now approaching. Wondering for a breif moment if the ogres themselves are hiring, she rests her head against her horse's neck for calming purposes before glancing back at Hallnsfarth...

"Well, I suppose I have to admit that i didn't know that.. I doubt that the animals I spoke with were in the know of town defenses-- And I heard most of the news from them-- so I daresay I came into this with a wrong assumption of what was happening... She seems almost willing to apoligize if not verbally by the submissive nod towards the elf.

And anyway, while I'm not fit to be called a mighty druid than can raise mountains from the earth or command every beast to do my bidding, I know decent spells--well enough to let me travel safely with Bobo my only companion till now-- and I know a bit of healing...

Seffbasilisk
2006-10-02, 10:23 PM
Hallnsfarth

Hallnsfarth pauses for a second, reminds himself that she's probably confused and disoriented, and rattles off
"You can heal? *Good. *We're planning to ship out with a caravan shortly. *We can most likely strike down most threats without too much trouble, but it'd be best if we had more lookouts and some more healing power. *If you think you can handle the pace I set, you're welcome to join the crew. *Standard rules apply, and take everything Trillian says with a grain of salt. *If you want to work with us, catch up with Chase. *Unless you speak gnommish. *In which case you can come with me. *So? *What do you say?"

He stands back for a second.

(OOC: Edited for color)

KuH
2006-10-02, 10:34 PM
Dozoli

Dozo approaches his erstwhile companions in the evening.

I've been thinking things over, and I've decided to stay on in town here. Although you are a very interesting group of barbarians, with a wonderful group of manners and customs to explore ... I have decided that my mission is to succor the poor and the needy barbarians.

Poor you are decidedly not after raiding that ogre encampment, nor needy - at least not needy in material goods. You can keep my money or donate it to the town as you wish.

I will stay on here until I find others more needy of my services, and in the meanwhile will succor poor tradesmen, farmers and guards.

I wish you the best of luck in your travels.

Surd-san, here is that amulet you gave me in the woods. I return it to you. You were a pleasure to train with and a light among the darkness. My little yakuza-san, you do your family proud. And thanks to all of you for the lessons you have taught me.

tonberryking
2006-10-02, 11:57 PM
"Nothing in gnomish, I'm afraid, but wether on the back of my horse or as a denizen of the forest, I can aide you... Not ta even mention I can patch you up nicely. She smirk and gives her horse a comforting pat before she leaves it, Bobo following after her...

However, don't lemme catch anyone picking on poor Bobo here, okay?

Seffbasilisk
2006-10-03, 12:06 PM
Hallnsfarth

To Lyrelle he says"
"That works."
Then seeing as everyone has set off to do thier respective things, Hallnsfarth heads back to talk to the gnome, muttering to himself in elvish "It's like herding quasits.."

(OOC: Dozo? Not evening yet, at least by my reckoning, can you re-do the post later?)

KingRexII
2006-10-03, 03:18 PM
Surd

((In the evening, unless KuH changes his post))

Surd bows respectfully toward Dozo, sad to see him leave. He certainly understands his goals, and in some ways, he wishes to join him. His fate seems to be with the others, though, at least for the time being. His compliment makes Surd blush: Master Alden would be proud of him.

"I promise to visit you if you and me in town again. Good luck on journey," he says as he takes his amulet back and puts it in his pocket.

The Glyphstone
2006-10-04, 08:01 PM
The others go about their various business, to the inn or whatnot, as Hallnsfarth hunts down the gnome. He finds him yelling irritably at a couple of the caravan's guards, who are manhandling a very large and heavy box into the back of a covered wagon.

He can see Trillian homing in on the caravan master from the direction of the church - the halfling is closer, but his shorter stride means they will get within hailing distance of the gnome at roughly the same time.

Asmodeus
2006-10-04, 10:40 PM
Trillian

Trillian walks up and says "Good day, Sir! My name is Trillian Yakuza. I understand that you run the caravan, yes?

My associate, Hallnsfarth, whom you spoke with earlier mentioned that you are looking to hire my stout band of elite troops as guards. Is now a good time to discuss terms with you?"

Trillian offers to shake hands, or whatever customary greeting is appropriate when dealing with gnomes.

Seffbasilisk
2006-10-05, 11:36 AM
Hallnsfarth

Hallnsfarth strides up and immediatly says "What is the meaning of this? What do you think you're doing Trillian?"

Then in gnommish he says "Ignore him. He's a delusional underling, seems to believe he's in charge when none of us would follow him out of a burning building. I came to discuss terms, but apparently he believes he's nessicarry for this. He's not fluent in this fine language of yours, so if he persists in staying here, we can communicate using it and leave the dreaming 'highness' in the dark."

Asmodeus
2006-10-05, 11:44 AM
Trillian

"I just said what I'm doing. I'm here to talk with ... uh... Pardon me, sir, but my associate's lack of manners has led him to neglect telling me your name. Would you be so kind as to introduce yourself, since he's apparently not going to?

Honestly, Hallnsfarth, show some manners."

Seffbasilisk
2006-10-05, 11:53 AM
Hallnsfarth

"Trillain. I am out of patience with you. There is no reason for you to be here, and you're more of a hinderance then a help. Go with Chase. I'm doing my damnest not to blast you where you stand right now. I suggest you hop to it."

"I have long since lost patience with him. I only tolerate him because I've yet to find another with his skills. Hopefully it won't take too long to get rid of him."

Asmodeus
2006-10-05, 11:58 AM
Trillian

With a roll of his eyes, Trillian says to the gnome, "Really, I do appologize for his rude behavior. I hope this won't reflect negatively in our business dealings. I can assure you that he will behave while under your employment."

Seffbasilisk
2006-10-05, 12:01 PM
Hallnsfarth

Hallsnfarth waves over the nearest guardsman and says to him "The halfling is delusional and is bothering me and my business partner. I don't want to harm him, but I want him to leave us to our work. Can you lock him up for a few hours, or at least detain him? Keep him away in some way?"

Asmodeus
2006-10-05, 01:11 PM
{OOC: Kind of waiting for glyph to post something}

The Glyphstone
2006-10-05, 02:50 PM
The gnome is slightly baffled by the barrage from both visitors at once, swapping between nervous looks at Hallsnfarth and curious ones at Trillian.

"Uhhh...er...who are you people again?"

There are no town guards in sight, but working nearby is a tall, beefy warrior wearing dirty chainmail armor and similarly drab clothing who is busily cramming boxes into a wagon - he glares at the warmage suspiciously, before glancing at the gnome for guidance.

Asmodeus
2006-10-05, 04:12 PM
Trillian

"I'm sorry. Let me start over.

My name is Trillian Yakuza. I'm here to discuss terms of employment with you. I was told you were looking to hire guards for your caravan. Me and my elite team would like to apply for the job."

He smiles in a friendly manner and offers his hand to shake.

Seffbasilisk
2006-10-05, 06:45 PM
Hallnsfarth

"Trillian, if you don't stop this **** and get out of here, I can't be held responsible for what I do to you."

His face the very picture of exasperation, Hallnsfarth says to the gnome, in gnommish "I"m Hallnsfarth Zukuri. I led the team that killed off the ogres and chased off the mage that were besieging the town."

Asmodeus
2006-10-05, 07:41 PM
Trillian

"Watch your language. This is a business meeting, and I won't have you speaking like that while its going on. When you are in a tavern, thats your business, but when you are acting as a representative of my team, you need to show some respect to the people you are trying to conduct business with."

Seffbasilisk
2006-10-05, 07:42 PM
Hallnsfarth

"Trillian. It's not your team, I don't take orders from you, and you have a sixty count to be out of my sight before I start looking for a replacement for you on the team."

Asmodeus
2006-10-05, 08:18 PM
Trillian

Trillian ignores Hallnsfarth and continues addressing the gnome. "Sir, may I have the honor to know your name?"

Seffbasilisk
2006-10-05, 08:36 PM
Hallnsfarth

Hallnsfarth begins slowly and quietly counting in common.

(Glyph, lemme know when 60 seconds game time has elapsed)

The Glyphstone
2006-10-06, 06:43 AM
(We'll say 10 rounds, so 10 back-and-forth chats between Trillian and Tensfiddle.)

The gnome gives Hallnsfarth another worried look before addressing Trillian.
"Tensfiddle Saladillin Gartyrif Venim Karaciolo, leader of this mining caravan, at your service...or are you at mine? Or that mage there?"

Asmodeus
2006-10-06, 07:15 AM
Trillian

"Its a pleasure and an honor to meet you, Sir Karaciolo. And my associate and I are most definetly at your service.

Well, lets get down to business, shall we?. I don't mean to rush you, but my associate seems to be in the mood for an expedient transaction. I don't think it would be good to upset him any further.

Did you know that mining caravans are 60% more likely than other caravans to be targetted for attack by an extradimensional entity if unguarded? The mere presense of a security force is usually enough of a deterent that most threats will avoid a target for fear of too many losses for little to no gain.

But its not enough to just put on a good show. It is vital that the security guards in charge of protecting your caravan can back up their visible presence with physical and magical force.

That is where me and my team comes in. I know that I don't look like much of a physical threat, but I'm sure that you know as well as I do that size doesn't matter when you can outwit your opponents.

Everyone worries about their caravan being physically assaulted. You have no doubt been informed that we are capable of repelling almost any attack. Even a band of surly stinky slimy, ugly offacious ogres is no match for us. Hallnsfarth here could probably destroy two of them on his own without any assistance, and he's only one member of my elite team.

But the recent trend shows that its not direct attack that you should be worried about. These days, its more likely for raiders to try and disable your caravan while you are too far in the wilderness to get help, and then force you to leave your valuables behind in order to survive.

Imagine the damage to your profits if your lead wagon toppled into a bandit-pit, broke its wheels and lost the horses pulling it? You would be forced to leave that wagon behind, or fight for your life in order to protect it, and continue defending it until you could get help retreiving it.

Thats where I come in. I specialize in Trap Avoidance and Neutralization. You could hire any brute force to defend you. And maybe they are good enough to successfully fight off any bandits and raiders. But no group would be good enough to do so without some sort of loss of life, or at least injury. With my services, you will avoid that kind of situation all together, suffering no loss of life, and no injury to any of your employees.

We do charge a little more for this service, but you can easily recoup those expenses by cutting back on life insurance and worker's comp insurance policies. With us protecting you, you will have all the insurance you need."

{OOC: I think I said a lot there, so that should probably use 3 turns instead of just one.}

The Glyphstone
2006-10-07, 09:12 PM
The gnome takes a few seconds to absorb all of Trillian's patter, a sharper gleam coming into his eye - he is clearly no stranger to con men of Trillian's type.

"That's all very nice and impressive, Mr. Trillian, but how would I know you're telling the truth? The caravan already has guards, though your talents would be a welcome addition - but what guarantee do I have of you being capable of delivering what you promise? You could be a simple con artist, looking only to grab a paycheck and flee at the first sign of trouble...you might even be bandits yourself, should it look easier to rob and loot us instead of escorting us. And how do I know the rest of your team is capable of coming through? The only one I've seen personally do anything is Mr. Zukuri...our resident mage can do some serious damage if he has too, and I'm quite certain that all mages are alike in that matter. Plus, he claims to be the true leader of your little group...if there's some sort of power struggle going on here, I cannot afford to have my caravan caught in the crossfire and reduced to collateral damage from an angry warmage."

(18 seconds elapsed.)

Asmodeus
2006-10-08, 11:14 PM
Trillian

"I'm glad you asked that question. It shows that you have a good set of wits about you. I actually enjoy working for people who have that quality.

I believe the standard procedure in a situation like this is to split the payment into sections. Half now, to prove to us that you are willing to pay, and half after you have successfully reached your destination, to prove to you that we are willing to do our jobs.

That should satisfy the issue of our Intent. As for our Ability, I believe Mr. Zukuri has mentioned that we were the ones who defeated the ogres who attacked the town. What more proof do you need?"

Seffbasilisk
2006-10-08, 11:43 PM
Hallnsfarth

Exasperated beyond debate, Hallnsfarth has begun to practice the arcane gestures he will use to rend the halfling's soul from it's puny fleshy container.

He continues to count, pausing only to say "I am a Warmage of The Tarth Moorda Acadamy. I sincerely doubt you'll find another mage who can weild destructive forces as well as one of my collegues can. And Trillian? One, you've promised him that none of his crew will be injured, meaning we don't get paid if one of them gets a hang-nail. Two, you didn't address the issue he spoke of regarding my sunny disposition towards your mental instability, and three? Your time is almost half up. This is the last warning you will recieve." He then resumes counting, taking into account the time elapsed in his speaking. (IE: 25...26 *speech* 32...33...)

During his speech, he turned the motions practice to the obviously offensive spells, including thrusts and jabs.

The Glyphstone
2006-10-09, 06:22 AM
Watching Hallsnfarth out of the corner of his eye, Tensfiddle is looking more nervous by the second.

"Well - uh...you're certainly capable, and would make excellent guards...but..well...maybe you should come back later, and we can discuss terms then. We'll be packing up until tomorrow morning at the earliest - and to be blunt, I don't want my caravan blown to pieces as collateral damage before we even leave the town..."

Asmodeus
2006-10-09, 07:05 AM
Trillian

"Thats fine with me. When would be a good time for you?"

Seffbasilisk
2006-10-09, 12:47 PM
Hallnsfarth

Still counting, Hallnsfarth intones some different arcane phrases and twitches a finger towards the ground between the Gnome and the Halfling, the orb that shoots along splashing into the ground which immediatly sizzles with the acid.

Hallnsfarth continues "Get this lunacy of your leadership out of your head Trillian. I will bear no more gross insubordination. I am not joking, and this time, I won't hold back."

He continues to count.

The Glyphstone
2006-10-09, 02:08 PM
The gnome starts to back away towards the bodyguard standing nearby.

"Ummm...howbout I come find you later...you're staying at the inn, right? Yeah, that's a good idea - I'll come and find you. Now you can go, okay? I have stuff to pack..."

(30 seconds elapsed)

Asmodeus
2006-10-09, 04:59 PM
Trillian

Trillian glares at Hallnsfarth for a moment. "Yes. That sounds good. This is clearly becoming dangerous for you, and I wouldn't be much of a guard if I put you into danger.

We'll talk later. It was a pleasure to meet you."

Once the gnome leaves, Trillian says to Hallnsfarth, "Way to go! You nearly blew the whole job! As soon as I finish my dinner with the druid, you and me need to talk." He then turns and storms away.

He'll go look for Lyrelle, to meet her for dinner.

Seffbasilisk
2006-10-09, 05:44 PM
Hallnsfarth

Hallnsfarth continues to count, and the second he hits sixty, he reaches out with the same innate senses that allow him to keep unerring track of time, and tries to divine if Trillian is within range of a magic missile. *Since he's not, Hallnsfarth shakes it off, and calming himself with his mantra, goes and follows the gnome saying to him "Now that THAT headache has departed, perhaps we can discuss the terms that we set the basics down of in the Captain of the Guard's office."

tonberryking
2006-10-09, 08:20 PM
Meanwhile, back at the horse...

Lyrelle

Having nothing else yet to do, Lyrelle takes care of her horse and Bobo, making sure they're well fed before she goes to feed herself with the halfling, and waves down Trillian upon his return...

Asmodeus
2006-10-09, 08:54 PM
Trillian

Trillian returns the wave to Lyrelle and approaches. "I hope you are hungry. I could eat a goa-... I could eat three meals!"

Trillian will escorte Lyrelle to the inn, chatting amicably as he walks. "So, tell me what you think of the people you've met so far?"

KingRexII
2006-10-09, 10:23 PM
Meanwhile, on the way to the inn...

Surd

As he walks with the mysterious 'ranger', Surd's curiosity gets the better of him. "So Chase? You can do many things. I can only do very small. Where you learn to do so many things?" he asks innocently.

Seffbasilisk
2006-10-13, 06:00 PM
Hallnsfarth

Hallnsfarth waits for a response.

(OOC: BUMPz0rz! For Lyrelle, Chase, AND DM. Any of you three.)

Asmodeus
2006-10-13, 09:20 PM
{OOC: news about chase is that he/she/it only posts on weekends for awhile...}

The Glyphstone
2006-10-14, 07:23 AM
(comes stumbling in, shedding dust and shreds of completed homework assignments...)

H-Bomb

The gnome is still rather flustered, though somewhat reassured by the shadow of the manservant looming at his back, and shrugs it off.

"Very well, Mr. Zukuri. I'm going to proceed assuming that you are the de facto leader of your little mercenary group, and not the esteemed Trillian as he claims. Were I to contract you as escorts and general guards from here to Arabaytin, what would I be expecting to hand out as pay? And don't give me any twaddle about fees for individual spells - I've dealt with graduates of your academy before, and my daily dose of nonsense has been satisfied by talking with that halfling."

Everyone At the Inn
The innkeeper/bartender happily keeps the food and drink flowing, arm-wrestling a extremely dusty barrel of excellent wine from the depths of the cellar. There's plenty of meat, a large loaf of bread that couldn't have been baked more than a day or two ago, and (if Lyrelle is a vegetarian) some potatoes and carrots, roasted and heavily spiced to hide the fact that they're not entirely fresh (though not rotting yet). And it's all free - he didn't lie there.

Winged One
2006-10-14, 03:28 PM
"Well..." "Chase" says, looking around on the way, "It's really only one- oh look, the inn." He points it out, glad for an excuse to not answer. After that, he asks the innkeeper for a room for everybody, having Trillian room with Grimrock, Surd with H-bomb, and himself alone. When he finds out about Lyrelle, and if she wants to sleep inside, he gets her a seperate room as well.

tonberryking
2006-10-17, 11:33 AM
((Sigh. Sorry guys. It's mid terms.))

Lyrelle seems to actually favor the meat and the bread, as if possibly wise to the lack of fresh 'fresh' vegetables as she looks at Trillian ruefully.


I daresay it feels rather chaotic so far.... Most of you seem nice but i really haven't gotten to know anybody in this group well enough. Although I gather that as a leader, Hallnsfarth seem rather take-chargish...And the others I haven't seen enough of... Although I don't find this to be a bad group either...

Asmodeus
2006-10-17, 01:36 PM
Trillian

"Him? Leader! Bah! I wouldn't follow him to the next sentance. He's a pompous stick in the bum. I let him think he's running things when its convenient. We all pretty much make the major decisions as a group. But he's got some firepower, so he's useful enough. The only problem is he's too much of an idiot to use it right. He's terrible at making decisions. Let me rephrase that. He can make a decision without a problem. But he's terrible at considering his options before making a rash decision.

Chase is our tracker. He keeps to himself mostly. Kinda quiet. Probably got some skeletons in his closet, but as long as they don't come out and bite in the middle of the night, I don't care.

Then there's Surd. He's a bit light in the head, but heavy in the heart. You really can't help but like the guy. Just don't make him mad. He could probably punch you into a coma.

And that leaves me. I'm the specialist with the quick hands and sharp tongue. We all fit pretty well together when there is a common goal. But the leadership situation seems to be more of a hassle than I first thought.

I think that after Hallnsfarth gets back, I'm going to try and get the group to agree that he is not the leader."

The Glyphstone
2006-10-27, 05:17 PM
(Yay! New forums! Moving on...I want to get this speeded up a teeny bit...)

After a bit of back-and-forth haggling, Tensfiddle and Hallnsfarth come to an agreement - thirty silver apiece per day of service, paid in full upon arrival at Arabaytin, bonuses consisting of exclusive rights to any salvage from things killed or captured in defense of the caravan. That settled, the gnome warns Hallnsfarth that he and his team should be ready to leave by first light tomorrow; too much time has been lost already to this ogrish delay, and he leaves to continue badgering his laborers.

The innkeeper is happy to give rooms for the group, even offering individual rooms if desired - it is free, after all, and it's not like the spaces are in short supply.

The Glyphstone
2006-10-29, 08:06 PM
(Could you add something substantive, please?)

The Glyphstone
2006-10-30, 05:43 AM
Eh, true dat.

Where is everybody?

KingRexII
2006-10-30, 09:17 AM
((I'm here.))

Surd

Surd takes an early evening nap, needing only two hours of sleep to feel fully rested. Through the night, while Hallns meditates ((if he's OK with rooming with Surd)), Surd practices his moves in silence. Keeping his body occupied, his mind ponders the scenes he has seen and the people he has met since leaving the monastery.

After sparring with shadows for nearly fours hours, in the twilight of the morning, he decides his thoughts trouble him much too much. He sits up in the bed and takes out of his pack a beautifully carved ocarina. It looks simple, yet even with an untrained eye, anyone can tell that palm-sized instrument was masterfully crafted. Surd's eyes seem to glaze over as he stares at the ocarina, as if his mind were instantly transported to a better place, a more peaceful place. Like the slow rising of the sun, his happy memories dawn upon his soul.

Seffbasilisk
2006-10-31, 01:19 PM
Hallnsfarth

Hallnsfarth goes back to the tavern, exhausted from the haggling and dreaming about just wringing Trillian's neck. KNOWING He could have gotten a better deal had the damn ankle-biter not showed up. He heads back to the tavern, takes the room with Surd. He takes his four hours of Trance and awakens to see Surd training. Seeing Surd, Hallnsfarth begins work with his sword again. When Surd goes to take Ocarina out, Hallnsfarth heads downstairs, leaving him with his memory.

(Glyph, baby? Read the PM I sent you. No way in HELL would Hallsnfarth take a pay of that low. I'll let you edit.)

The Glyphstone
2006-10-31, 07:22 PM
(Objections noted and ingo---responded to. Check your PM box...you're using faulty data in your analysis. Edits will come once there's a price that mutes your whin--resonable protests.)

(blast these new boards not supporting the scratch tags...)

Winged One
2006-11-01, 12:16 AM
Maddock(now with correct spelling!), alias Chase

When he finds out that Lyrelle will be joining them, "Chase" finds her and asks "If you don't mind me asking, is either you or Bobo a good tracker? It's just that I'd feel a lot better if somebody better at it then I am handles such things." Not to mention that I might need to run away very quickly someday soon, and for all her virtues in regard to getting along in the wild alone, Buer does not help me in that capacity at all. Maddock thinks, keeping it to himself as always.

The Glyphstone
2006-11-10, 09:45 AM
As Seen On TV (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0155.html)

The dawn breaks, and the group gathers to depart with the caravan. Grimrock had flatly refused to travel any further with the group, declaring his intent to return north to the dwarven holds, and Lyrelle excused herself and vanished into the forest with Bobo. On the other hand, when they arrive at the wagon train near the gates of the city, they are introduced by the caravan master to two other travellers like themselves, who signed on with the caravan at an earlier stop - a paladin of Rao named Marcaus, and a cheerfully friendly cleric of Pelor named Foster.

Once introductions are complete, the command is given, and the line of wagons begins to meander out of the yawning gates of Hapi Town.

(Still no word from Rakeesh, but I'm appropriating Foster as an NPC while I hunt for a suitable replacement to swap in at the next town.)

Asmodeus
2006-11-10, 10:15 AM
Trillian

Trillian wakes up feeling rather surly. That stupid gnome never did stop by like he promised, but Trillian didn't bring it up.

He'll try to get a place in the front of the caravan if he can.

The White Knight
2006-11-10, 01:42 PM
Marcaus

"So, anyone know just how long a journey should we expect to get to Arabaytin?" Marcaus asks, addressing anybody present in his low, booming voice. Obviously, this was something everybody was made well aware of before departing, so it is apparent the man is either daft or attempting to strike up friendly conversation.

Marcaus is a giant of a man, towering a full head above even most tall men. His short brown hair is well kept, and he is well shaven; his eyes are a deep, cold blue. His stature, build, and booming voice along with the viscious scar parting the left side of his face often give him an air of intimidation, but anyone looking closely can sense his more gentle demeanor. He wears finely crafted full plate armor, with the holy symbol of Rao [ooc: does anybody know exactly what Rao's symbol is?] wrought onto the breastplate. Upon his back is strapped a large, fine shield, beneath which is tucked a bow; over these is strapped a hefty backpack. At his sides hang a sheathed longsword and a quiver of arrows.

KingRexII
2006-11-10, 03:42 PM
Surd

After putting away his bauble and silently joining the caravan as it starts its journey, Surd considers all the people that have come and gone in just the last few days. Hearing the paladin strike up a conversation, the half-orc is glad to discuss... anything. He walks ((rides? Are we walking or riding, Glyph?)) up next him and answers in that familiar broken common, "Don't know. Just following where life leads me."

Winged One
2006-11-10, 04:22 PM
Maddock, alias Chase
Morning
Maddock awakens and, to his suprise, doesn't feel any particular compultion to bind a vestige today. Not so alone after all...
Journey
Chase glances at the symbol of Rao, thinking well, considering the god he serves is relatively sane, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, "Personally, I find that where one is going to be of minimal importance, compared to some things." Like what one is running away from.

The White Knight
2006-11-10, 04:32 PM
Marcaus

"Aye, I think I can agree with that," Marcaus affirms with a nod, "I've spent much of these past few years travelling, usually with no particular destination in mind. It is your purpose for travelling that is actually of importance, not necessarily your destination. Speaking of which, what purpose brings all of you on this journey?"

Seffbasilisk
2006-11-10, 10:57 PM
Hallnsfarth

Walking by the slowly growing group of mercenaries under his lead, Hallnsarth overhears the newcomers statement and says "Merchant needs guard, we need a job to tithe us over for the time. That's why we're here. On the road I expect all of you to keep a weather-eye open. We can't slip up here. We have half a reputation from the ogre-slaying, if we can focus on that and expand our reputation we'll be set for greater rewards. If we grow lax or weak, we'll be back where we started or futher back. Don't screw this up. Trillian? That last one was directed at you."

then he proceeds on to find out from the gnome what areas of the caravan are most likely to be targeted, so he can set up where to put his men.

Winged One
2006-11-10, 11:48 PM
"Well," Chase answers the paladin, "I've always felt...compelled...to keep moving, and since no good deed goes unpunished, I figure that it's best to stay with the people who did it with me, so we can face together whatever punishment Vecna and Cuthbert and the rest of the evil gods dish out at us for acting against their interests." Hallnsfarth's orders receive his full attention and a polite "yes, Mr. Zukuri. I will be sure not to disgrace your reputation."

Seffbasilisk
2006-11-11, 12:15 AM
Hallnsfarth

Laughing slightly at Chase's response Hallnsfarth lightens up a bit "Ok, ok. Just try to make sure we don't screw this up. Chase? Watch the others? I need to talk to our employer."

The White Knight
2006-11-11, 01:40 AM
Marcaus

Cuthbert... evil? Marcaus thinks to himself in response to Chase. A bold thought, Chase. Although, sometimes I wonder if Cuthbert is as "just" as one might expect.

"Heh," he chuckles in reply.

The Glyphstone
2006-11-11, 01:05 PM
(If you want to have bought horses in Hapi, go ahead. Otherwise, you're walking.)

The caravan consists of six wagons - five carrying goods, the rearmost hauling provisions and supplies for the trip. Tensfiddle suggests to Hallsnfarth that he place his men either in the middle, or split up at each end - by previous experience, bandits will pick one end of a wagon train to ambush, thus minimizing the initial resistance.

Asmodeus
2006-11-11, 10:57 PM
Trillian

Trillian will pick up a Riding Dog, Saddle, Saddlebags, and enough food for the expected duration of the trip.

{OOC: How many days are we expecting the trip to last?}

Seffbasilisk
2006-11-11, 11:21 PM
Hallnsfarth

After finding that out, Hallnsfarth will check on the communications and make sure that each wagon has signal whistles telling each that if they're in trouble, to call three blasts and stop all wagons. After verifying and informing them of that, Hallnsfarth heads back to the group and explains how he decided to place the team inside the wagons in this order.

First Wagon: Hallnsfarth and Surd
Second Wagon: Marcaus
Third Wagon:
Fourth Wagon:Foster
Fifth Wagon:Chase
Sixth Wagon: Trillian

When telling the group such he extropolates to say "This way, myself and Surd can assess any obvious dangers, Trillian can guard whats possibly the most vital wagon, and be in position to get an easy attack in against anyone coming up on the rear. Also his keen eyes will help there. Chase'll be one wagon back, so if you think you spot something, but aren't certain, signal Chase's wagon to switch places with yours in the train to help you verify. Chase? If you see nothing, switch back. If there's something, you can either go for pot-shots with Trillian first or just signal. Either way signal, we'll all brake and present a united front. If either of you are assailed, Foster should be able to provide solid support until we can bring the entire party to bear. Marcaus? Your job is to leap into the fray if we bring the entire party to bear. If we're dealing with problems on an individual basis, you watch out for other attackers. If we bring the entire party to bear, I'll have to ask you Chase to break off the attack and keep an eye open. I will be trying to keep an eye out as well, but two are always better then one. We can try to work out alternative wagons for riding if we have problems with the current arrangements when we circle for the night. Surd? If you'd prefer to switch roles with Marcaus, that works as well. Marcaus? Foster? I've yet to fight alongside either of you, so I'm taking it on faith that you both can follow orders and fight well enough. Any questions? Comments?"

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edit: OOC: Asmo, foods and such are to be provided. It's part of the contract I worked out. Something Trillian no doubt interrogated me for the details of, and something I would have informed the entire party of. Probably accompanied with dire threats to Trillian if he A) Screwed this up B) Bothered Tensfiddle C) Tried to re-negotiate or D) Ever interfered with a negotiation like that again.

Asmodeus
2006-11-11, 11:36 PM
{OOC: Scratch food from the list then, and assume trillian gave some non-commital response to your threats and demands, without actually agreeing to any of them}

Trillian

When he is told to take the rear wagon, Trillian replies with 'Thats a stupid idea! If we get attacked there, it will be by a group, and I'm the least capable of surviving on my own until help arrives.

You should let me scout ahead instead. If there is a trap, like a pit-fall or some other danger that isn't obvious, I'm the one most likely to spot it before anyone else.

Also, have you considered that since the supply cart is the one you consider most important, you should move it to the middle of the column, so that its easier to defend? Not that the gnome will share your opinion on its superior importance."

Seffbasilisk
2006-11-11, 11:44 PM
Hallnsfarth
Shaking his head at Trillian's outburst, Hallnsfarth conceeds the point saying
"Well you did just buy that riding dog. Chase? Do you want to scout with Trillian? If not, I figure I'll slide you down to wagon six, ask you to take an inventory of the equipment and stores there, and keep watch. Foster? That moves you to wagon 5, unless Chase believes he'll need your help in wagon six. If so, that's both of you in there. Trillian? You take a signal whistle as well. If you run into anything you don't think you're capable of handling before the caravan arrives, ride back, and at a decent distance, blow on the whistle. In that event, either Marcaus or Surd will move to wagon 6, and the rest of us will move to the front most wagon. The wagons will stop, and we'll pile out and advance on foot. That work for everyone? Also, Trillian? The point about Tensfiddle exactly. In most of these merchant's minds, it doesn't matter if they're half-starved when they get there, as long as the cargo gets there. And the supply wagon is only most important to us."

If there are no further objections, Hallnsfarth heads to the supply wagon, and opening it up starts to take stock of the weapons available, leaving the miscellaneous gear and foodstuffs for Chase to inspect later.

The White Knight
2006-11-12, 12:19 AM
Marcaus

[Edit: Well, look at that. Surd's got purple. Orange it is - Tensfiddle be damned!]

"Aye, combat is not unfamiliar to me," Marcaus replies, "and I've no trouble following any order I deem sound. Trillian, worry not," Marcaus continues with a bit of a smile, "you're not going to get dispatched being 'all by yourself'. Just keep your eyes peeled, and we'll see to it you're not mowed down."

Winged One
2006-11-12, 04:09 AM
Maddock, alias Chase

Lookout duty, huh? Well, I wouldn't want to fail to do my best at it...looks like a job for Malphas and his bloody bird. Maddock thinks as he says "I think that I might be a bit too noisy for Trillian's comfort. I'll stay in the back wagon alone, if it's all the same to you." Later that day, when there's nobody to hear, "Chase" whispers to Surd "If you are hurt today, go to Fostor or Marcaus. The magic I used to heal you and that guard will be used to help me look around for bandits by making a dove whose eyes I can see with."

Assuming nobody raises any objections or asks any questions:
Alone in the wagon he guards, Maddock takes out a piece of chalk from his magical backpack, draws a seal with it, and makes a pact for the day with the vestige known as Malphas the Turnfeather. After it is done, he summons a dove, which flies on top of the wagon and roosts on top of it, allowing Chase to either sweep up the seal with a broom if there is one convinient or to just scuff it out into so much chalk dust. Once that's done, he takes inventory as instructed. After that, the bird starts following Trillian as discreetly as possible, looking for anything hostile while Chase himself does the watching asigned to him. If the paranoid binder thinks he sees something but can't quite make it out, he summons the bird again and it takes a closer look.
Taking 10 on the binding check for...I forget, but it's higher than the DC, which is 15. Stats and other relevant information for Malphas can be found on page 39 of Tome of Magic. The dove uses the stats of a raven (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/raven.htm). Pact Augmentation is +2 to initiative and +1 to damage.

The Glyphstone
2006-11-12, 06:13 AM
(You'll need to find somewhere else to make your pact - the wagons are full, either of cargo (covered in a cloth tarp) or guards (one per wagon, two on the supply wagon) - or just say you ended up binding Malphas earlier this morning. You can be riding on the frontboard of the wagon, but there's no space to do anything secretive.)

(Seff reminded me - your fees were retroactively negotiated to 5 GP/day, with a 35 GP "signing bonus.")

(Arabaytin is roughly a week's walk, so probably a week and a half at caravan speed.)

The supply wagon, Hallnsfarth finds, is loaded with foodstuffs, spare wagon parts, and various other sundries. Weapons are sparse - there is a pile or spare crossbow bolt cases and a few crossbows, but that's it. Each of the stock guards for the caravan is wearing a scale mail shirt, and carrying a sword and crossbow.

Asmodeus
2006-11-12, 09:22 AM
{OOC: Holy cow! this thread is alive again!}

Trillian

Trillian urges his mount forward into the distance and starts searching for anything that is out of the ordinary. In particular, he is looking for traps, or people who are hiding.

{OOC: Glyph, I'm hoping I get some pretty decent Synergy style bonuses for those two things.}

The Glyphstone
2006-11-12, 09:33 AM
(Where are you getting synergy bonuses from?)

Seffbasilisk
2006-11-12, 11:13 AM
(OOC: Glyph, there also were clauses beyond the direct gold, that we gain bonuses for things that might be seen as extra, that we have basically all of thier mundane gear at our disposal, that they'll pay for foods and such for us and our mounts, etc)

Hallnsfarth

After setting up the party's locations, Hallnsfarth plays his wand-like object of detect magic over the entire caravan one wagon at a time, finding out what's magic in each, and what school of magic each is from.

[hr]
Spellcraft (keep forgetting it's not spellcraft. 1 knowledge arcana check/wagon to find what magic items are in each.

Knowledge Arcana (1d20+7=12) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=723413)
Knowledge Arcana (1d20+7=13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=723415)
Knowledge Arcana (1d20+7=12) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=723416)
Knowledge Arcana (1d20+7=25) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=723417)
Knowledge Arcana (1d20+7=19) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=723418)
Knowledge Arcana (1d20+7=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=723419)

Winged One
2006-11-12, 03:27 PM
Assuming that the caravan is going at a slow enough pace that this is reasonable:

Maddock falls behind for a couple of minutes, goes just off the road, makes his pact, sends the bird ahead to do his lookout until he gets there, and runs to catch up, upon which he resumes the rest of the plan.

KingRexII
2006-11-12, 08:25 PM
Surd

Surd nods at Hallns's directions, taking the last wagon. He nods at Chase's words, even putting his finger up to his lips as if to reiterate that he knows to keep the past encounter a secret.

He travels near the back of the last wagon, keeping his senses keen, but also whistling (terribly) while he does so.

Asmodeus
2006-11-14, 04:44 PM
{OOC: Spot Check and Search Check for scouting with the caravan. (1d20+-1=12, 1d20+9=25) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=726745)
Add +2 Synergy bonus to Spot for total of 14.

Listen Check for Caravan (1d20+1=2) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=727430)}

Apparently, trillian has his iPod on at max volume, listening to 'Smooth Criminal' rather than listening for anyone out on the road.

Winged One
2006-11-20, 05:20 PM
RTST(Ready To Skip Time)

The White Knight
2006-11-20, 05:41 PM
RTST(Ready To Skip Time)

Yeah, I'm in agreement.

The Glyphstone
2006-11-20, 07:17 PM
(Technically, Seff, you can't use the wand, Detect Magic isn't on your class list...but it doesn't really matter here, so I'll let it slide for now. Yes, I know you used it before, that was a screwup.)

Hallnsfarth finds that each of the wagon tops glows with a very faint aura of abjuration magic, though nothing else radiates power except the party's gear, and a scroll case that is recognizable as having belonged to Dozo Li - how it got into one of the wagons is a mystery.

(PM issued to Asmo - when I get a response, this will update further.)

Seffbasilisk
2006-11-21, 04:32 AM
(OOC: When you realized it didn't work as a wand, you told me it was a wondrous magic item. I've been using it as such)

The Glyphstone
2006-11-21, 05:57 AM
(Hm - okay, we'll do that.:smallsmile: )

Trillian, roaming ahead of the caravan, is keeping a sharp lookout for any sign of hostiles or other danger.

Fortunately, he doesn't see any hostiles.
Unfortunately, the hostiles see him.

As he rides past a particularly large tree some thirty feet ahead of the rest of the train, he hears the snapping of a branch. This is followed by many just like it, and a single thunderous crash, as the tree comes crashing down behind him, sending branches and splinters everywhere - and a pair of crossbow bolts whistle harmlessly past his head.

Now that they are no longer hiding, the halfling can see the trio of humanoid shapes lurking in the shadows, two still holding their crossbows and the third brandishing a large battle-axe.

Init rolls (need new sheet links, BTW:
Marcaus: 20+Init
Maddock: 18+Init
Surd: 15+Init
Hallnsfarth: 14+Init
Cleric: 12+Init
Trillian: 4+Init

Please hold off on actions till I know who's going in what order, and have a decent map sketched out...post sheet links OOC.

The Glyphstone
2006-11-22, 03:06 PM
(Nothing.)

Marcaus: 20
Maddock: 22
Surd: 18
Hallnsfarth: 17
Bandits: 17
Cleric: 11
Trillian: 9

(Okay, let's try the method suggested a while back by Asmo - I need actions from Maddock, Marcaus, and Hallnsfarth (I'll NPC Surd to the best of my power), then the bandits will go and we'll "roll over".)

Rough sketch of the area, I'm building a map:
[code]
T__A__T
b=====bb
T_____T
T_oHM_T
T_ooo_T
T_ooo_T
T_____T
T_ooo_T
T_ooo_T
T_ooo_T
T_____T
T_ooo_T
T_ooo_T
T_ooo_T
T_____T
T_oSo_T
T_ooo_T
T_ooo_T
T_____T
T_oFo_T
T_ooo_T
T_ooo_T
T_____T
T_oCo_T
T_ooo_T
T_ooo_T
T_____T

T = treeline, A = Trillian/Asmo, H = H-bomb, b = bandits, o = wagons (sort of). S = Surd, M = Marcaus, C = Chase, F = Foster.

Winged One
2006-11-22, 03:09 PM
Is Trillian close enough to us that the party would know to respond without Maddock's bird?

The Glyphstone
2006-11-22, 03:14 PM
(Yes - the massive tree toppling into the middle of the road with a huge CRASH is a sign that something happened - though keep in mind you might not have line of sight to the bandits and Trillian.)

(Everyone's position is edited in.)

The Glyphstone
2006-11-22, 05:22 PM
(uhh- yeah, didn't I list you?)

Seffbasilisk
2006-11-23, 12:13 AM
(OOC: I thought Marcaus and Surd had swapped places?)

The Glyphstone
2006-11-23, 06:26 AM
(Hm - looks like they did. Arg, this hurts my head, map changed to move Marcaus up and Surd back.)

Winged One
2006-11-23, 12:40 PM
As the guards in his wagon are distracted, Chase takes the opportunity to disapear into thin air. As his invisible form moves toward the bandits that his bird can see, Maddock sends said bird into a patrol pattern around the caravan so that he will know if this is merely a distraction for him and his fellow guards.
Invisibility: Standard action, lasts 5 rounds. Also, I've got 2d6 Sudden Strike. Will Run there(120 feet per round) until he's within 30 feet of a bandit.

The White Knight
2006-11-23, 04:09 PM
Marcaus

Marcaus darts forward from the front wagon, drawing his sword as he moves. He places himself in the center of the road between the bandits and extends his sword outward, pointing at the pair of bandits to the right.

"Don't throw your lives away," he shouts to the bandits, in a very calm, serious tone. "The caravan you attack is guarded by a party of highly skilled warriors - you stand no chance for success. Have you heard about the ogres troubling these lands? Have you not heard of how these warriors laid waste to an entire party of ogres? You're making a serious mistake. I implore you, stand down that your lives may be spared."

[Attempting a diplomatic approach. PHB says it could take up to a minute, but I'll at least know if it's quite obviously going sour and be able to stop trying before then (ie, if either side starts going trigger happy). Diplomacy check - bandits (1d20+12=22) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=740360)]

The Glyphstone
2006-11-23, 05:51 PM
(You can make a Dip check as a full-round action at, I think, a -10 penalty. Want me to apply it automatically? Or are you going to spend the next 10 rounds making a speech? :))

The White Knight
2006-11-23, 06:09 PM
(depends on whether or not people wanna hold up and listen, I guess... they can take what I've said so far as my first round's deliberation, and if they're not interested in listening for the rest, they can suck steel :P)

Winged One
2006-11-23, 06:25 PM
I always use Intimidate for this sort of situation, but to each his own.

The White Knight
2006-11-23, 06:28 PM
(it's a matter of skill modifiers, too :P)

Seffbasilisk
2006-11-25, 03:31 AM
(OOC: I'm assuming Surd will stay with the wagons, and in the interest of NOT WAITING FOR HIM AT ALL I'll post now.)

Hallnsfarth
Initiative: 17
AC: 20 (T: 13, F: 17)
HP: 21/21
Saves: F: +2 R: +4 W: +4

Hearing the new recruit's speech filled Hallnsfarth with a sense of pride. At last they were getting a reputation. He especially liked how Maracus made no promises. Accentuating his groups prowess, Hallnsfarth thrust his hand forward in a sudden jerking motion, sending a shard of ice blasting towards the bandit lurking farthest from the road.

Ice Knife (1d20+5+4=18) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=742520)
2nd B far Right.

Fort Save DC 17 or take 2 dex damage.
Ice Knife Damage (Hit) (2d8=3) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=742524) + Warmage Edge of +2 total damage of 5.

If an attack of 18 doesn't hit then:

The glowing shard of ice would have deflected off of the bandit's armor, but just then Hallnsfarth completed the spell with an additional pulse of magical energy, causing the shard to rupture in mid-air, scattering razored ice particles around in a small cloud.

Ice Knife Damage (Miss) (1d8+2=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=742526)

10ft radius.

(OOC: Need a map dude, can't be blowing long-ranged spells on everyone.)

The Glyphstone
2006-11-27, 08:08 PM
INBOUND POST DETECTED! BRACE FOR IMPACT!


Marcaus makes a short speech, trying to talk the raiders out of their ambush - the two crossbow-wielding bandits look momentarily unsure, till the third one - older, and apparently the leader of the trio, snarls at them in a gruff voice.
"Bah! Don't listen to the fool! Knowing those ogres, this bunch probably snuck by while the fat brutes were sleeping! It's our prize now!"

Maddock vanishes from sight, completely unnoticed by anyone else, and creeps upward towards the bandits. His bird flutters into the air, scanning the ground below, and Maddock sees through its keen vision the distinctive outlines of several doglike shapes stalking through the undergrowth towards the battle scene.

Hallnsfarth lets loose with a razor-sharp shard of ice, which slices into the farmost bandit's shoulder, freezing the blood that wells up out of the wound. He yelps at the hit, a strangely animalistic sound, before twisting into a scowl.

Surd crouches atop his post on the wagon, clearly unsure what to do - he apparently decides to hold in place, remembering Hallnsfarth's warning about attackers from multiple angles.

As the axe-wielding bandit closes on Trillian, the other two step closer, reloading their crossbows and firing in unison at Hallnsfarth. The warmage twists away from one of them, and it scores only a glancing blow, but this opens him up for the second bolt, which punches through his chain shirt to bury itself in the rear of his shoulder joint.

(18 Damage to Hallnsfarth - unlucky crit on the second shot there.)

The third bandit jumps over the fallen tree, ending up next to Trillian. He snarls at the halfling with exceedingly bad breath, before tilting his head back into a long, lupine howl.
"ArrOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!"

As a chorus of similar howls echo from the nearby trees - coming from the lurking wolves that Maddock's raven spotted, the man's body undergoes an abrupt and shocking transformation. His shirt and pants bulge, straining at their seams under new layers of muscle and a coat of fur, while his face lengthens into a hideous amalgamation of man and wolf. The hands wrapped around the battleaxe twist into sharp claws, though they don't let go of the weapon. The werewolf gives another chilling howl as he completes his change, glaring down at Trillian through a pair of very human yellow eyes.

http://www.pbase.com/image/70886570/original.jpg

(Need an action from Trillian- Foster is also being NPCed, then we "recycle".)

Asmodeus
2006-11-27, 09:45 PM
Trillian

Trillian delays until just before Marcaus. (21 in initiative)

Trillian shouts a warning "Holy Yakuza! They are shape stealers!

Hey Wolfie! Is that a Little Pig behind you?"

Trillian will urge his dog to attack as he attacks the werewolf, hopefully, getting a sneak attack in if he can distract him with the pig ploy.

{OOC: Bluff Check to Feint(11)
Attack w/ Dagger(22),
Damage from Dagger(3),
Damage from Sneak Attack(13),
Attack from Dog(12),
Damage from Dog(7)

(1d20+9=11, 1d20+5=22, 1d3=3, 3d6=13, 1d20+3=12, 1d6+3=7) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=747241)

Ride Check to attack with Dog (1d20+5=14) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=747247)

KingRexII
2006-11-30, 08:30 AM
Surd

((For round 2))

Surd reluctantly keeps his course, knowing that his team is counting on his protecting their rearguard and flank. He climbs upon the top of the closest convoy car in order to get a better view of the battle up front and the backside of the caravan.

((Move on top of closest car and readied action to move toward anyone trying to sneak up to the caravan from another direction.))

The Glyphstone
2006-11-30, 05:26 PM
Trillian hesitates for just the briefest of moments, caught off guard by his opponent's abrupt shift in appearance and threat. Foster, hearing Hallnsfarth's expletive of surprise and/or pain* at the crossbow strike, jumps off the wagon seat in a crash of armor, hurrying forward to deliver healing.

All along the train, the various guards pile out of the wagons, hastily drawing swords - only to be set upon by a number of snarling wolves, apparently lying in wait alongside the were-bandit(s?). The guards are surprised by the lupine ambush, but their armor holds firm - only two of the wolves succeed in drawing blood, and just one of them manages to drag its prey off balance and prone on the ground.

Round 2:
http://www.pbase.com/image/71012953/original.jpg
The Battle Stands At:
Trillian 21
Marcaus: 20
Maddock: 22
Surd: 18
Hallnsfarth: 17
Bandits: 17
Foster: 11
Guards: 2
Wolves: 1

(The third guard on the right, counting downward from top, is prone.)

(*Throw me a bone, Seff? I'm sure you can come up with something - and I doubt it'd make sense for H-bomb to bear a wound like that in stoic silence...:smallbiggrin: )

(Round 2 actions please - have Trillian's already - KingRex has the chance to resubmit actions now that there are new combatants in play.)

Winged One
2006-11-30, 05:50 PM
Maddock, alias Chase
Initiative 22
Sheet not accessable to retrieve other relevant statistics
The unseen binder's eyes narrow as the wolves come upon the caravan. The guard who lost his balance to the wolf's attack is assisted by Chase appearing seemingly out of nowhere, doing his best to deliver a devastating two-handed strike to the animal.

To hit: [roll0] vs. flat-footed AC
Damage: [roll1](2 STR mod, 1 half STR mod, 1 Pact Augmentation)
Sudden Strike: [roll2] Malphas EBL 5

Note that all of this is from memory, and that any inaccuracies should have the corresponding correct information on Maddock's sheet. Oh, and the roll tags are cheatproof to my knowledge.

The White Knight
2006-11-30, 06:25 PM
Marcaus

[ooc: since you've still got me on the wagon...]

"That's a nasty wound, friend. Here."

Marcaus reaches for Hallnsfarth and grasps the haft of the second bolt, which appears to have planted itself firmly in his shoulder. A faint glowing transfers from his hand to the wound, and the wound closes shut, forcing the bolt out. With a nod, Marcaus hops down from the wagon and works his way toward the lupine bandit.

"Sorry you feel that way. You leave us little choice."

[Lay on Hands for 18 points, bringing H-bomb back up to ship-shape. Moving fifteen feet from the wagon to the square to the bottom-right of the werewolf (if he still only occupies one square?).]

KingRexII
2006-11-30, 07:00 PM
Surd
Init 18; AC 16; HP 42/42

((Round 2, version 2))

Glad to have listened to Hallnsfarth, Surd jumps into action. As Chase seems to be helping the prone guard, Surd moves to help the guard south of them ((down in the picture if north is not up)).

((Attack; Damage (1d20+8=12, 1d6+4=7) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=753116)))

Winged One
2006-11-30, 11:04 PM
By the way, I forgot to mention that Chase is taking a Charge action, and also forgot to apply the charge modifiers.

Seffbasilisk
2006-12-01, 04:29 PM
Hallnsfarth
HP: 21/21
AC: 20
Saves: F2 R4 W4

Swearing like man possessed when the bolt hits (yes Gylph) Hallnsfarth continues to swear in elvish, growing more vehement even after the bolt is healed out of him. Drawing back his right hand, as he starts spouting draconic chants, then switches quickly back to elvish curses as he thrusts his arm forwards flinging a ball of flame at the shapechanger who shot him.

Ranged Touch (1d20+5=12) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=754807)
Fire Damage (3d8+2=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=754809)

After watching the ball of fire arc towards the lycanthrope, and either splatter against him, or miss (each accompanied by a curse), Hallnsfarth drops to a knee behind the riding board (ye cannae shoots me now!) and pulls out his spear.

The Glyphstone
2006-12-02, 07:48 AM
The werewolf sniffs the air noisily, turning to look for the pig that he can't smell, but Trillian can see. Naturally, there is no pig, only the halfling's dagger embedded in his side. The strike plunges deep, but almost as soon as Trillian

Maddock appears out of thin air, slicing at one of the wolves with a devastating strike - the beast yelps, but manages to stay on its feet. Its attention, however, has definitely been diverted away from the wounded guard.

Marcaus seals Hallnsfarth's injury with a burst of holy power, then advances on the werewolf assaulting Trillian, as Surd moves in the opposite direction towards the wolves. His fist lands true, but a lack of experience with wolfish anatomy results in the hit dealing no discernable damage to the beast.

Hallnsfarth, for his part, looses a parting bolt of magical flame at the right-most bandit, then drops behind the cover (not total cover) afforded by the riding board.

The bandit Hallnsfarth struck reels, his cry of pain elongating into a high-pitched yelp, and he doubles over, body warping into a smaller mirror image of the first were-bandit, before straightening up. His opposite number does the same, though a bit more voluntary, and the two of them close on Hallnsfarth, dropping crossbows as they do so.

Foster, coming close enough to see the situation, and seeing the warmage surrounded, hesitates for just a brief moment, then charges forward with a yell, swinging his two-handed mace at the grounded bandit with gusto, missing by a mile, and very nearly falling over.

All along the train, the guards fight back against the wolves - three manage to land blows, but they are minor. The wolf Maddock attacked snaps at him, but the binder evades with ease. The other wolves are somewhat more successful, continuing their attack - one of the two guards at the rear goes down with a wolf gnawing at his leg, while his companion gets a minor nip but remains on his feet.

http://www.pbase.com/image/71069816/original.jpg

The Battle Stands At:
Trillian 21
Marcaus: 20
Maddock: 22
Surd: 18
Hallnsfarth: 17
Bandits: 17
Foster: 11
Guards: 2
Wolves: 1

KingRexII
2006-12-02, 09:56 AM
Surd
Init 18; AC 16; HP 42/42

Surd lets go a flurry of blows, attempting to finish off each opponent as quickly as possible.

((FOB #1: attack; damage (1d20+6=14, 1d6+4=7) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=755924)
FOB #2: attack; damage (1d20+6=23, 1d6+4=7) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=755929)

I haven't added in the bonus from the unidentified amulet Surd's wearing.))

Winged One
2006-12-02, 02:13 PM
Is the guard Maddock's helping back on his feet? I need to know if I get flanking bonuses and if he's managed to deal any damage himself.

The Glyphstone
2006-12-02, 07:27 PM
(Yes, he's back on his feet. He didn't move or deal any damage though.)

Winged One
2006-12-03, 02:20 AM
Maddock, alias Chase
HP 36/36
AC 16 touch 12 flat 14
After a nimble step to split the wolf's attention between him and the guard, Chase fakes another attack in the hopes of making it flinch.

[ooc]5'step to the right on the map(move), then feint(standard without Improved Feint).
Bluff to feint, -8 penalty for using it against an animal INT creature applied: [roll0] Wolf applies BAB to Sense Motive to oppose.
Recent research by Asmo has shown the roll tags to be cheat-resistant, but not cheatproof.[ooc]

Asmodeus
2006-12-03, 02:50 PM
Trillian
Round 3
Init: 21
HP: 18/18
AC: 23(Combat Expertise+3)

Trillian hops off of his mount and takes a quick step to the north, putting the werewolf between himself and Marcaus. He puts a bit more concern for his own safety in place now as he attacks.

He feints again, trying to throw his target off balance, then attacks for real. Towards the lead wagon he shouts "You see, Hallnsfarth? I told you I would find any traps! I'd say this counts as a pretty big trap!"

[hr]
Free Action: dismount, 5 ft step, speaking, Combat Expertise
Move Action: [roll0]
Std Action: [roll1]
Apply to Flat Footed AC if Feint Succeeds
Atk Mods: +2 Flanking, -3 Combat Expertise
[roll2]
[roll3]
Apply sneak attack damage even if Feint fails, because of Flanking

Asmodeus
2006-12-03, 02:58 PM
Trillian's Dog
Round 3
Init: 21 (shared with Owner)
HP: 13/13
AC: 16

Without a rider, the dog continues to attack. Heeding its instincts in canine combat, the dog attempts to Trip the werewolf, if it succeesfully bites him.

[hr]
[roll0]
[roll1]

If bite succeeds...
[roll2]
Special Tripping rules apply for Riding Dog.
No AoO, +2 STR modifier, No chance to react/counter-trip if attempt fails.

Asmodeus
2006-12-03, 02:59 PM
Trillian's Dog
Round 3
Init: 21 (shared with Owner)
HP: 13/13
AC: 16

Possible Critical on the Bite
[roll0]
[roll1]

Edit: Thats a damn good dog!
Do you do triple Criticals, Glyph?

The White Knight
2006-12-03, 04:19 PM
Marcaus

As he approaches the beast nearest Trillian, Marcaus can be heard to be quietly speaking, as if in prayer, "Rao, I have tried my best to prevent this from dissolving into violence. Please guide my blade, that these beasts who rob the innocent of their right to peace may be punished."

Marcaus' sword is enveloped in a glorious light as he swings it forth toward the werewolf he now flanks with Trillian.

[Attempting a smite in hopes the critter is evil. [roll0] (additional +3 if smite works), [roll1] (additional +5 if smite works)]

Winged One
2006-12-05, 02:09 PM
If you need a spell reccomendation, try Fireburst(level 2, 5d8 fire to everything within 5 feet of you) if you don't mind wasting a slot on Pyrotechnics when you set the wagon on fire(you might be able to avoid AoO's to get away from them if they're blind anyway).

Seffbasilisk
2006-12-05, 02:54 PM
[ooc: Winged One, I already selected my spells, did the rolls, and thought out everything Hallnsfarth would do the second Glyph posted the map. I was just waiting for my turn to come up. (And that's actually the spell I was casting.]

Hallnsfarth
HP: 21/21
AC: 20
Saves: F2 R4 W4

Hallnsfarth falls into spellcasting while trying to duck, bob, and weave his way around slashing claws, snapping maws, and blades. Unfortunatly, his concentration is diverted by Trillian's shout. The spell fizzles, and with a curse, Hallnsfarth goes to leap atop the wagon to get out of the immediate danger, and knowing that while the top may support his light elven frame, there's no way it'll support the two shapeshifters. His jump is a little scrambled, but he manages to grab the edge and pull himself up. Once up there, he again readies his spear, knowing full well they will be swinging at him.

[hr]

http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=756500 (DC 17 Concentration check. Failed)

http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=756504 (Jump check as part of the 5ft step movement (if it's too high to 5ft step onto) gives +2 more feet, but if that's not high enough, then failed)

http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=757125 (DC 15 climb check to get up if the jump fails, against all odds, PASSED)

The Glyphstone
2006-12-05, 07:40 PM
(Sorry, Asmo – the Game Master template grants Immunity to Electricity.)

(Seff – rolls for your AoO are concealed in the Spoiler below, done via InvisibleCastle.)

spear AoO (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=762374)
spear damage (1d8=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=762377)
Opposed Grapple (1d20+2=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=762378)


Trillian jumps to the side of the werewolf, attempting to distract him yet again. This time, the monster is not fooled, but it must still content with the paladin nearby, and the halfling inflicts another minor wound that persists in bleeding even after the flesh knits itself shut. His dog lands a savage bite that draws yet more blood, though it fails to drag the bandit off his feet. Following up, Marcaus deals a brutal blow to the back of the surrounded creature, holy energy racing along the length of the blade to scorch the werewolf’s flesh.

Maddock, further along the train, tries to draw the wolf he is attacking off balance, but the animal’s keen instincts keep it from falling for the trick. Surd, on the other hand, delivers a pair of punishing blows to his chosen wolf, chopping through its thick hide and causing the beast to crumple with a strangled whine. Hallnsfarth fumbles a hasty defensive spell, then retreats to the top of the covered wagon – the framed cloth canopy bears his weight, but only just, and he can hear and feel the wooden bars creak dangerously.

The bandit leader now begins to look rather worried, boxed in as he is on three different sides. The injured bandit clambers up on the wagon as well, but the flimsy cloth begins to give way, and he leaps forward to encircle Hallnsfarth in a bear hug. The warmage reacts, thrusting with his spear and opening a gash on the creature’s side, but it has no noticeable effect, and the bandit secures him in a iron grip as the wagon implodes and dumps them both onto a hard, blocky surface covered by the remnants of the wagontop. The other, unharmed hybrid charges Trillian’s dog – Foster making yet another wild swing that misses completely, almost losing his grip on the weapon - and deals the steed a vicious blow with one claw. The elder bandit tears into Trillian himself with axe, claw, and fang – the axe blade lands firm, taking a small sliver out of the little Yakuza’s arm, but the claw goes wide, and he barely evades the gnashing teeth. Foster, clearly unaware of his apparent futility, charges his bandit opponent yet again. This time, he manages to hit, driving the breath out of the bandit but causing no visible damage.

The battle between guards and wolves continues, with somewhat better results than before. The guard flanking with Maddock strikes true, driving his longsword into the wolf’s side and bringing it down. The guard fighting alongside Surd charges to help his comrades near the end of the train, missing utterly, as does the guard already fighting that wolf. Of the remaining guards, only the warrior just above Maddock manages to draw blood from his canine foe. The wolves’ counterattack much more effective – of the five remaining, two hit their marks. The guard north of Maddock is dragged off his feet, fighting madly against the vicious creature gripping his leg, while one of the guards at the rear simply collapses from blood loss and pain.

(The Battle Stands At:
Maddock: 22
Trillian 21
Marcaus: 20
Surd: 18
Hallnsfarth: 17
Bandits: 17
Foster: 11
Guards: 2
Wolves: 1

Trillian takes 10 damage.
Trillian’s dog takes 3 damage.
Hallnsfarth is grappled.
The guard at the rear left is down and bleeding, as are the wolves next to where Surd and Maddock are marked. Map will be up tomorrow morning, please hold on actions till I get it up.

MAP:
http://www.pbase.com/image/71276557/original.jpg

Asmodeus
2006-12-06, 09:38 PM
Trillian's Dog
Round 4
Init: 21
HP: 10/13
AC: 16

The dog continues attacking the bandit leader.

[roll0]
[roll1]
If Bite succeeds..
[roll2]

Trillian
Round 4
Init: 21
HP: 8/18
AC: 23(Combat Expertise +3)

If the trip attack succeeds, Trillian will reach into his pouch, pull out a tanglefoot bag and slam it down on the prone bandit leader, hoping to sticky him to the ground.

If the trip attack fails, Trillian will attack as he did last time.

[roll3]
[roll4]
Apply to Flat Footed if Feint succeeds
Atk Mods: +2 Flanking, -3 Combat Expertise
[roll5]
[roll6]
Apply Sneak Attack Damage for Flanking with Marcaus

Winged One
2006-12-07, 12:33 AM
"Help me take out this one!" Chase says to the guard who he helped with his wolf, circling out of the reach of the wolf just to the north of him so that it will be distracted when the standing guard charges in, darting in, and swinging his mace again.

Taking a roundabout route so as not to provoke an AoO to a position where if the redshirt guard he just helped charges the wolf, they'll get flanking(and hopefully distract the wolf).
To hit: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

The White Knight
2006-12-07, 08:02 AM
Marcaus

Marcaus takes a quick step to the side so he is now beside both bandits.

If the trip and tanglefoot bag succeeded, he'll attack the one standing. If not, he'll continue with the wounded one.

[[roll0], [roll1] (nonlethal)]

KingRexII
2006-12-07, 05:54 PM
Surd
Init 18; AC 16; HP 42/42

Turning his eyes toward the front, he sees the others starting to outnumber their opponents. He moves south 25 ft, tumbling out of the way of the wolf's bite. ((Tumble (1d20+6=17) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=765973))) With the wolf now surrounded on opposite sides with a guard and himself, Surd strikes when the wolf is offguard.

((Attack (added flanking bonus); Damage (1d20+10=11, 1d6+4=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=765990) D'oh!))

Seffbasilisk
2006-12-12, 02:56 AM
Hallnsfarth
HP: 21/21
AC: 20
Saves: F2 R4 W4

Breaking free of the creatures grasp as he falls, Hallnsfarth, displaying grace his race is known for lands upon his feet. Noticing how the spear wound has already sealed up with no noticable trace, Hallnsfarth does a quick skip backwards (keeping a square between them), and appreciating that he's out of the beast's immediate reach, Hallnsfarth switches his spear to his left hand again, and pulling back his right and chanting in a mixture of elvish and draconic as he learned at the acadamy, he begins to cast. The air within his almost clawed fingers twists in upon itself and begins to crackle with lightning held in his palm. Instead of earthing themselves in the warmage's hand, they double and redouble back upon themselves growing in ferocity as Hallnsfarth mocks physics, and as the warmage with an almost feral look of glee on his face stops his cursing tirade, he leans forward to hurl the orb straight into the beast's face.

Ranged Touch (1d20+5=19) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=773162)

Electricity Damage (3d8+2=17) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=773164)

(OOC: FINALLY some good rolls.)

The Glyphstone
2006-12-15, 05:54 PM
(Tomorrow....tomorrow...it all works out tomorrrow....)

The Glyphstone
2006-12-17, 05:59 PM
I meant tomorrow. after tomorrow. after tomorrow.

(underestimated homework load - I'll update in the morning.)

The Glyphstone
2006-12-18, 06:22 AM
Maddock, moving swiftly and purposefully, abandons the dying wolf in front of him and moves to deliver another solid blow to the next beast in line – it yelps painfully and collapses in the dirt as well.

At the head of the caravan, Trillian and his riding dog tag-team the bandit leader once again – the dog lunges for the creature’s ankle, drawing no blood but managing to knock the werewolf flat on his back, where he is promptly glued in place by the halfling’s tanglefoot bag. Marcaus, for his part, steps sideways and brings the flat of his blade against the standing bandit’s side, elicting a small grunt. Down at the other end, Surd goes after one of the remaining wolves, but misses.

Behind them all, Hallsnfarth scrambles backward, dodging a clumsy swipe with a claw, and pumps a crackling ball of magic lightning straight into the were-creature’s face. It gives one long, agonized howl as the energy courses through its body, before crumpling into a twitching, smoking heap, the fur fading and muscles receding to become a very human (and very dead) bandit once more.

The two surviving bandits match the death call of their fellow with a surprising amount of distress, giving off echoing cries of their own despite the circumstances. The pinned bandit twists this way and that, clawing and biting at the slime that restrains him, but failing to remove it entirely. He looks back at the standing bandit and snarls something in what must be Wolfish, then repeats his orders in Common for good measure.
”Go, you fool! Warn the others! Don’t let Stephan die in vain!”

The other bandit is clearly torn for a moment, anguish twisting his bestial features, before he makes his decision. Ducking past Marcaus, he dodges the snapping teeth of Trillian’s dog, and shrugs off the blow Foster lands on his head, as he bounds into the woods, howling all the way. Foster hesitates, prepared to pursue him, then decides otherwise. He raises his open hand to clutch his holy symbol, and orders the werewolf to return to help his ally.

The guards, heartened by the changing tide of events, continue to fight with renewed vigor. All three guards on the right attack the single surviving wolf, the northernmost guard stepping aside slightly to allow his partner a clear charge. Unfortunately, their enthusiasm still outmatches their skill, and only two of the guards land glancing blows. The two guards at the rear miss as well, despite Surd’s aid in surrounding the beast.

The death of the third wolf was apparently too much to take – the wolf on the left edge of the caravan, slightly bigger and more grizzled than the others, gives a long, commanding howl that ends in a slightly strangled yelping. The other three mimic the yelp – then try to break off the fight with swift coordination, as is typical for pack hunters. The southernmost wolf to the left escapes easily, leaping over the guard’s ill-placed blade. The wolf assailed by three at once on the right does the same, fleeing into the woods at top speed, but the other standing wolf catches a chance kick from Surd in its ribs as it retreats, though it remains standing.

Same init.

Two middle wolves remain, both bleeding to death – the others are between 15 and 17 squares off the edge of the map, on either side. Hallnsfarth is 1 square south of current, adjacent to a dead werewolf. The werewolf leader is prone where he’s marked. Marcaus is 1 square west of current. The standing werewolf is 5 squares off the edge of the map to the west. Foster is 2 squares left of current, just inside Command range. I’ll try to whip up a map tonight, but no promises – they’re really cramming in as much work as possible before the winter vacation starts.

Seffbasilisk
2006-12-18, 01:13 PM
(OOC: When the map rolls 'round you know what Hallnsfarth is going to do. Chase after the were-wolf hurling spells the whole way.)

Asmodeus
2006-12-18, 03:09 PM
Trillian

Trillian jumps on top of the stuck werewolf and presses his dagger up to it's throat. "Let me put it to you this way, Shape-Stealer. Rocks don't move, they don't make noise, they don't try anything foolish, and they don't get their throats cut.

How much do you have in common with a Rock?"

[roll0]

The Glyphstone
2006-12-22, 03:39 PM
(???......)

Seffbasilisk
2006-12-22, 06:20 PM
(He should get a hefty circumstance bonus seeing as the warmage is screaming and cursing like a madman chasing the other one and hurling balls of fire and such)

The Glyphstone
2006-12-23, 04:58 PM
(Modified by a hefty circumstance penalty, since the dagger's A) not silver, and thus non-threatening in his mind; B) he's a halfling; and C) it takes severe mitigating circumstances for me to dish out bonuses - normal combat does not qualify as such.

Epic level fighters are not scared of mere balls of fire.

(And the confusion was more directed at where everyone is - I'm assuming on Christmas vacation.)

Winged One
2006-12-23, 06:29 PM
Through his birds-eye view, Maddock is able to see the guard near the rear of the caravan bleeding to death. "Foster! Marcaus! One of ours is down near the back! Help him before he bites it!" Chase shouts, not thinking at all about whatever lie he'll tell later to explain knowing this.

I'll need a map before I decide his actual combat actions.

Seffbasilisk
2006-12-23, 07:21 PM
(OOC: Glyph? He saw me nail one of his buddies pretty hard with a ball of fire, and crash down into a wagon with him. A wagon that only I came out of.)

The Glyphstone
2006-12-23, 08:00 PM
(OOC: Seff? He also saw you almost skewered by one measly crossbow bolt. It's combat - spoon happens, people get hurt, people die - it takes more than a swearing wizard throwing fireballs to actually scare a merciless werewolf murderer. He's not exactly new at this whole "ambushing caravans and mercilessly slaughtering their occupants" business, he just rolled a metaphorical natural 1 on his Profession: Bandit skill check. And now that I think of it...this oh-so-scary warmage is running in the [u]opposite direction[/i]...it's a halfling with a non-silver dagger trying to threaten him, and failing miserably.

Plus, you know, if you'd stop trying to wheedle concessions out of me at every possible opportunity, I might actually grant them once in a while.)

(WO: Totally forgot about the map, I'll remedy that tomorrow morning ASAP.)

KingRexII
2006-12-23, 11:04 PM
((Just as an FYI -- I'm here too. Also waiting for the map, though in the next couple of days, I'll be hard pressed to post something substantial... unless I don't sleep... which is an option... hmmm...))

Seffbasilisk
2006-12-23, 11:43 PM
(OOC: Just a point to notice, every concession i'm trying to wheedle out of you is for Asmo? None for me at all? Just something to keep an eye on.)

The White Knight
2006-12-24, 02:06 AM
Marcaus

"Foster! I don't have much left in me; are you able tend to the wounded?" Marcaus shouts to Foster in response to Chase's alarm.

"Trillian..." Marcaus goes on, shaking his head softly, "don't bother."

Standing above the bandit leader, Marcaus speaks firmly, "You should have stood down when you were given the chance."

{Glyph: is the bandit considered to be helpless right now? If so, what's your ruling on a nonlethal coup de grace? This post shall be continued once you get back to me.}

The Glyphstone
2006-12-24, 05:22 AM
(Bandit is not Helpless. According to the rules of the Tanglefoot bag, he's at -2 to attack and -4 Dexterity and cannot move from his current square until the goo is scraped off or destroyed. The fact that he's still allowed to attack translates that he's not Helpless - far from it, in fact.)

(Noted, Seff. It is to your benefit, if indirectly, but I'll admit that's a fine line to split. End point, no circumstance bonuses to an Intimidate for routine combat, and the fact that a warmage just happens to be standing nearby. :))

(EDIT:
Merry Christmas/Other Holiday of your choice. Here's a double-size map as your present.)
http://www.pbase.com/image/72063711/original.jpg

The White Knight
2006-12-24, 11:29 AM
Marcaus (cont'd...)

Marcaus takes a swift swing at the bandit with the hilt of his sword.

{[roll0]
[roll1], nonlethal damage}

KingRexII
2006-12-24, 12:01 PM
((Questions: 1) Do the X'ed out circles ones that have fallen unconscious? 2) Can you move through an unconscious person's square without having to tumble or go around him? Can't seem to find the answer in the books...

Thanks!))

Seffbasilisk
2006-12-24, 02:20 PM
(OOC: He's not just standing nearby, he's screaming and hurling a spell at the retreating were-beast)

In fact:
Ranged Touch Attack (1d20+5=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=796479)

He hurls a ball of fire at the retreating were-beast.

If it hits:

Fire Damage (3d8+2=13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=796481)

Winged One
2006-12-24, 04:13 PM
With his warning shouted, Chase beckons at the guards who he assisted to follow him as he hustles toward the front of the caravan and the remaining werewolves.

Double move up.

KingRexII
2006-12-26, 08:52 AM
((Thanks, Asmo for the reference.))

Surd

Hearing Chase's call, Surd hesitates for a moment, his sense of duty ordering him to stay while his helpful nature drawing him toward the front. Eventually, his heart wins over his mind. He turns to the guards next to him, and hurriedly says, "I go up front to help. If need me, shout. I run back here!" before sprinting to the first car in the convoy.

((Run straight up to two squares next to the topmost bandit, assuming that no one go in Surd's way. Base speed 50'; using Feat Run (retains Dex bonus to AC)))

Asmodeus
2006-12-26, 10:29 PM
{OOC: Anytime.

Glyph, i'm kind of lost. who's turn is it? mine?

And where is your Monopoly Avatar???}

Winged One
2006-12-26, 10:35 PM
Probably the same place my old avatar is. I had purged my PM inbox before avatars were reenabled.

Seffbasilisk
2006-12-27, 01:49 AM
(OOC: MADNESS AND LUNACY! Hallnsfarth moved 30ft after him and threw a lesser orb of fire after him. Not sure of the breakdown.)

The Glyphstone
2006-12-27, 05:54 AM
(Nope. I got everyone. Putting together the round now.)

The Glyphstone
2006-12-27, 06:22 AM
Maddock rushes as fast as he can towards the head of the caravan, where the situation is rapidly deteriorating for the group’s enemies. Trillian, seated on the werewolf’s chest, tries to threaten him, earning only a foul grin and a large mess of spit and phlegm hurled into his face. It doesn’t even seem to notice the dagger. Marcaus takes the more direct approach, delivering another club-like blow with his sword – it bounces off the thick fur, but some of the impact appears to have gotten through. Surd follows Maddock’s example, hurtling towards the top of the line. Hallnsfarth chucks a ball of fire at the fleeing were-wolf, scorching it considerably.

Under any normal circumstances, that would have been even more encouragement to retreat, and it is clear that the werewolf wants to do so – but Foster’s god-given command is too strong to resist; it skids to a halt and turns around, loping back to stand passively in front of the cleric. Underneath Trillian, the werewolf struggles free of his confines, scraping away the last of the tanglefoot goo with one claw. Snarling, he sets into Trillian with the same ferocity, but lying flat on his back interferes with the angles, and nothing lands hard enough to hurt.

Ignoring the fight further, Foster sprints down towards the dying guardsman, as the surviving bodyguards scatter about – two look to aid or comfort their fallen friend, a few more set about making sure the wolves are absolutely dead, one trots after Maddock to where a battle is yet to be fought, and the last remains staring into the woods, nervously waiting in case the wolves return..

THE BATTLE STANDS AT:
Maddock @ 22
Trillian @ 21
Marcaus @ 20
Surd @ 18
Hallnsfarth @ 17
Bandits @ 17
Foster @ 11
Guards @ 2

http://www.pbase.com/image/72204560/medium.jpg

KingRexII
2006-12-27, 09:54 AM
Surd

Surd looks toward the bandit and the halfling and then toward the warmage, looking for some sort of guidance in the situation. "How I help?" he asks frantically.

Asmodeus
2006-12-27, 10:52 AM
Trillian
Round 6
Init: 21
HP: 8/18
AC: 20(Ended Combat Expertise)

Wiping the spit from his face, Trillian hops back to flanking position with his dog, then reverses the dagger and brings it down towards the wolfman spewing insults. He forgets his defensive stance in favor of making the attack. "You mangy, flea-bitten, ugly shape-stealer! Bad Shape-Stealer! Bad! If I had a newspaper, I'd swat your nose with it!"

Of course, the riding dog will jump in too.

[roll0]
Atk Mods: +2 for Flanking.
{OOC: Added +1 instead of +2 for flanking. Actual total is 9.}
[roll1]
[roll2]

[roll3]
{OOC: Again, forgot the +2 from flanking. Should be 12}
[roll4]

The White Knight
2006-12-27, 01:41 PM
Marcaus

"Surd! Help me subdue this one! Trillian - you're looking a little roughed up... maybe you ought to fall back."

{[roll0]
[roll1] Nonlethal damage}

Seffbasilisk
2006-12-27, 04:52 PM
Hallnsfarth

Hallnsfarth pauses mid curse to bellow back "Help get the others, this inbred son of a mangy mutt is mine!"

(OOC: Hallnsfarth moved 30ft after the man. Puts me two squares diagonal and one down of the one that's just stopped.)

Not trusting the shapeshifter, as he halts and heads back, Hallnsfarth circles around him (keeping 10ft between them), and murming conjures up another ball of flame. Tossing it to himself he glares at the back of his head and says in a cold low voice "C'mon you flea-bitten mongrel. I dare you. Try something. Go on."

Readied action: Blast him with another orb of fire, lesser.
Triggers: Him attacking any of our allies. Him running. Him moving too fast. Him doing trying to get out of my line of sight. Him not obeying orders. His companion taking down Trillian. More bandits emerging from the woods. More wolves emerging. More attackers. Any of our allies being hurt too badly. If one of my allies calls out to end him. If I get the feeling I should end him. If my nose itches. If he smells too funny. If he doesn't immediatly drop his weapons and surrender. If I see blood on his weapons. If I mistake him for the leader person or the one who nailed me with the crossbow. If he snarls, growls at, or threatens me. If he snarls, growls at, or threatens any of my allies. If he breathes funny. If he looks funny. Etc.

Winged One
2006-12-27, 08:22 PM
Maddock charges in to join in the beat-down of the surrounded werewolf. And this is why banditry is a really stupid idea. Your boss shouldn't have doubted that we really did take out those ogres.

Charge attack if at all possible. Charge modifiers are included in my attack roll, as is the +2 for flanking.
To hit: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]

The Glyphstone
2006-12-27, 08:56 PM
(So, Seff - that's if he doesn't just spontaneously cease to exist? Or will you fireball him anyways if that happens?)

Seffbasilisk
2006-12-27, 11:35 PM
(Depends. I might fireball him if he spontaneously ceases to exist. Basically I'm very twitchy and there's a lot that could set me off. If any of that happens, it's BBQ time.)

The Glyphstone
2006-12-28, 05:52 AM
(Well, do you want to roll the readied attack yourself, or should I?)

KingRexII
2006-12-28, 12:52 PM
Surd

((Pardon for the hurried post, but just have Surd whack the nearest bandit as instructed by both Hallns and Marcaus))

Seffbasilisk
2006-12-28, 10:13 PM
(OOC: Note, it's a READIED action, I'm not firing it. I'm READYING it to be fired. But if it IS fired...

Ranged Touch (1d20+5=12) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=801865)

Fire Damage (3d8+2=18) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=801867)

(and this is the one I just blasted...sheeze. If my nose so much as itches, he's dead))

Edit:

Hallnsfarth

"You dared. You dared to insult us so as to attack a caravan guarded by us, the Sons of the Starless Night? What made you even dream of success? What made that dammnable thought even cross your befuddled mind? What delusions so con-FOUNDED you? Well?"


Add to the triggers: If he doesn't answer soon enough, if he answers badly, if he doesn't answer, if he tries anything before answering, if he tries anything after answering, if he answers in a way I don't like, if his breath is bad, etc

[hr]
Yes. Hallnsfarth DID just name the group. And the name was: "The Sons of the Starless Night"

The Glyphstone
2006-12-30, 06:33 AM
(Me. Been busy again. Update in progress.)

The Glyphstone
2006-12-30, 06:48 AM
Maddock hurries forward to join the others – the fallen tree prevents an all-out charge, but not enough to stop him from attacking altogether – his blow is sure, inflicting an obvious wound even past the shapeshifter’s healing ability. Trillian and Marcaus follow suit, but only the paladin’s blade manages to bring forth another bruise. Surd steps forward and kicks the fallen bandit repeatedly, causing him to cough up a bit of blood.

Choking, the creature raises a claw in submission, sprawled on the ground.
”All right, enough – we surrender. Jonas, give up!”
The second werewolf looks rather surprised, but obeys, pulling short his obviously planned leap towards Hallnsfarth.

The White Knight
2006-12-30, 10:46 AM
Marcaus

"Then you've made the correct choice," Marcaus replies to the bandit leader, "but you will have to be bound." He reaches into his pack and retrieves a set of sturdy manacles, then gives the bandit leader an affirming glare. He then addresses his allies, shouting so all may hear: "Is there anyone who was bitten in this battle? If so, come forward and see me now! Foster - if you're done administering healing to the wounded, could you come here as well?"

KingRexII
2006-12-30, 04:51 PM
Surd

Understanding that his role is finished here, he nods to the others before heading back to the end of the caravan. The half-orc takes his post there and watches for any other signs of attackers.

Seffbasilisk
2006-12-30, 05:16 PM
(OOC: Glyph? If he looked like he was going to leap...that triggers the readied action. So I woulda taken him down in a blast of fire before his buddy could surrender.)

The Glyphstone
2006-12-30, 05:42 PM
(Stylized rendering, Seff. Want me to go back and reword it so he doesn't appear to actually still have a brain? Or did you just intend to blow his head off regardless of what happened?)

Seffbasilisk
2006-12-30, 09:20 PM
(OOC: Unless he froze the second I spoke and tried to draw careful even breaths without twitching at all and immediatly reverted to full human form, dropped any weapons, and slowly raised his hands above his head while slowly intoning in an even voice about how he surrenders and then begged for mercy?

Yep. He goes splat. If he did all that...then roll 1d100 and if the number is below 40, I blow his head off anyway.

Otherwise I don't.)

Edit: Yeah...I already marked down on my sheet that I cast the spell... I sorta don't 'spect him to be perfect.

Winged One
2006-12-30, 09:22 PM
Why didn't you just cast the damn spell instead of going through that readied action crap?

Seffbasilisk
2006-12-30, 09:36 PM
(OOC: Because this way I have motivation for doing it and am acting in a N manner. If I just blasted him I'd be E.)

Winged One
2006-12-30, 09:46 PM
I don't think that going through that readied-action stuff changes the alignment of the action itself...

The Glyphstone
2006-12-31, 06:15 AM
(Agreeing with WO - in fact, the more you cover your *** to justify killing someone, the more E and less N it looks to me.

But, I have a loophole, and I'm going to exploit it shamelessly in the name of getting this moving. The bandits and Hallnsfarth both act on Initiative Count 17 - up until now, that's been H-bomb, then Bandits, due to PC Privilege; now, I'm going to have the chief be speaking as a free action out of turn before his initiative count...thus, the bandit in question would have been tensing to leap during Initiative counts 22-17, but calmed down BEFORE 17 arrived and H-bomb got to set up the legalese readied action.

Any objections - from anyone other than Seff? :smallmad: )

(Oh, and

"C'mon you flea-bitten mongrel. I dare you. Try something. Go on."

Does NOT sound like a demand to surrender and beg for mercy...more like a provocation to get him to attack and thus excuse yourself from having killed a submissive prisoner - absolutely E. Aren't you glad I saved you from that?:smallwink: )

Seffbasilisk
2006-12-31, 01:26 PM
(mrererererer. More N then E. Evil would be 'Surrender and you won't be harmed' and then blasting him. And blasting him when he's doing something that would constitute as an attack? That'd be N. So roll the d100)

The Glyphstone
2006-12-31, 02:15 PM
(Rolls d%+39. Total = 40 or greater. No blast. :))

(Really,By invisiblecastle, straight d%=an 88. Still no blast.)

(Can we get on with the game already, since H-bomb's homicidal tendencies have been cut short again?)

Seffbasilisk
2006-12-31, 03:09 PM
(OOC: Ok, but I'm holding the ready action still. This time the triggers are less severe seeing as he complied, but he does anything that would be like an attack or moves too fast....

Edit: Now do you see why I have trouble playing Paladins or other characters required to be Good, Lawful, or Lawful-Good?)