PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Effective Arcane Barbarian?

World Eater
2010-06-24, 04:48 PM
http://i47.tinypic.com/2lne3rm.jpg
So, I'm trying to re-create a character I had previously had. At the time I played him, he was a Barbarian 2/Warlock 2. But now, trying to re-make him for level 8, I'm doubting working from that will create a competent build. So now I'm looking for you all for help. How do I get this to work?

The only things he needs to have are Human, some sort of dark majiks, and able to stand in melee. Preferred highest stats are Str/Cha, then Dex/Con.

Thanks for the help,
Some Guy

Flickerdart
2010-06-24, 04:54 PM
A STR/CHA build could be some manner of Bardbarian.

Ilmryn
2010-06-24, 04:54 PM
There is a PrC in CW called the Rage Mage that lets you use spells in a rage. I don't know if it works for warlocks, but it can probably be adapted to do so.
Also, the Eldritch Glaive invocation from Dragon Magic is a must for any warrior-oriented warlock.

Keld Denar
2010-06-24, 04:56 PM
Barbarian2/Fighter1/Hexblade3/SuelArcanamach4/AbjurantChampion5/Spellsword1/DragonDisciple4.

Suel Arcanamach is a fun little half caster PrC that gives you some of the real gems in Abjuration, Illusion and Transmutation that Gishy characters LOVE. Hexblade gives you Mettle and Cha to saves, along with that dark, brooding feel (also, ranks in Spellcraft for Suel). Barbarian2 gives you most of the goodies (pounce, abilities that can be converted to feats with various ACFs), and Extra Rage gives you enough uses to be effective. Abjurant Champion splices with Suel Arcananananananananamach in such a delicious way, from having similar prereqs to boosting your CL vs dispel magic into the low stratisphere, to triple duration Abjurations. Dragon Disciple at the end is the only way to progress Suel Arcanamach casting past 10/10, as it gives you 2 extra 5th level spell slots, stat bonuses, and some other nifties for the price of 1 BAB.

I'd focus on Cha, with Con and Str being secondary, max out Intimidate, take Intimidating Rage and Imperious Command, then cast a buff spell or 2, rage, and clobber things till they stop moving. Do it with a big club, because Greater Mighty Wallop is a Transmutation you can learn with SA casting for a big bashing weapon. Augement with Power Attack and Arcane Strike to taste.

Hague
2010-06-24, 05:06 PM
Yeah, I'd say Barbarian/Sorcerer/Wild Plains Outrider (improved mount familiar)/Rage Mage

Make him a goblin just for SnG and to get access to a suitable familiar-type bigger mounts. The DM would have to allow you to use your familiar as your animal companion in this instance, though. Also the outrider level bonus to druid levels or paladin level could be made to work for your familiar as long as it's a mount.

I can just imagine this little goblin, riding around on a boar, snarling and swearing in a rage while slinging spells.

Jack_Simth
2010-06-24, 05:13 PM
So, I'm trying to re-create a character I had previously had. At the time I played him, he was a Barbarian 2/Warlock 2. But now, trying to re-make him for level 8, I'm doubting working from that will create a competent build. So now I'm looking for you all for help. How do I get this to work?

The only things he needs to have are Human, some sort of dark majiks, and able to stand in melee. Preferred highest stats are Str/Cha, then Dex/Con.

Thanks for the help,
Some GuyLawful-Neutral cleric of a Lawful-Evil deity? Dark magic, can stand in battle (although you'll want a few buffs), Cha is useful, and a high Strength makes it a better melee character. You'll need some Wis, but only enough to eventually be able to cast your highest-level spells (you're self-buffing when you're casting, so save DC's don't matter). Take Craft Wondrous Item, and you can actually get away with a Wis as low as 13 (as that will let you Craft a Peripat of Wisdom for the additional Wis you'll need eventually).

And, of course, Charisma for Commanding undead servants.

SurlySeraph
2010-06-24, 05:17 PM
Note that Rage Mage has 3/4 BAB and 1/2 casting progression, so more than 3 levels is almost always a bad idea and more than 1 is usually a bad idea.

Fax Celestis
2010-06-24, 05:37 PM
Why is everyone forgetting Runescarred Berserker from Shining South Unapproachable East (why do I always mix those two books up)?

Hague
2010-06-24, 05:41 PM
Yeah, it's worth taking a 1 level dip into Spellsword too, since you don't lose any spell casting, get +1 BAB, +2 Fort and +2 Will.

I've never read Shining South...

Fax Celestis
2010-06-24, 06:22 PM
Runescarred Berserker is a barbarian PrC. Requires BAB +7, Craft (Scarring) 5, Intimidate 5, Sense Motive 2, Iron Will, Survivor, and one Berserker Lodge feat (UnEa), Rage, and either be a Rashemen or have Knowledge: Local (Rashemen) 2.

4+Int skills off the regular barb list, Wis-based "spellcasting", in that you carve the spells into your skin and release them when you need them. Gets 5 levels of divine spells across 10 levels, full BAB, good Fort, bad ref/will. Progresses rage and barbarian DR, and also grants natural armor and cold resistance. Has its own list of spells: mostly cures and buffs, but also including such gems as haste, improved invisibility, freedom of movement, greater magic weapon, and polymorph self.

Eldariel
2010-06-24, 06:24 PM
Runescarred Berserker is a barbarian PrC. Requires BAB +7, Craft (Scarring) 5, Intimidate 5, Sense Motive 2, Iron Will, Survivor, and one Berserker Lodge feat (UnEa), Rage, and either be a Rashemen or have Knowledge: Local (Rashemen) 2.

4+Int skills off the regular barb list, Wis-based "spellcasting", in that you carve the spells into your skin and release them when you need them. Gets 5 levels of divine spells across 10 levels, full BAB, good Fort, bad ref/will. Progresses rage and barbarian DR, and also grants natural armor and cold resistance. Has its own list of spells: mostly cures and buffs, but also including such gems as haste, improved invisibility, freedom of movement, greater magic weapon, and polymorph self.

Anti-Magic Field, Air Walk and Heal are the stand-outs. Only problem is, you can't really enter before level 8 meaning you'll take long to reach that point (when full casters are casting level 9 spells; level 17). But aside from some Sublime Chord-using Rage Mage concoction, it's the best you can do.

Fax Celestis
2010-06-24, 06:26 PM
Anti-Magic Field, Air Walk and Heal are the stand-outs. Only problem is, you can't really enter before level 8 meaning you'll take long to reach that point (when full casters are casting level 9 spells; level 17). But aside from some Sublime Chord-using Rage Mage concoction, it's the best you can do.

Granted, but still. It's a full-BAB class that grants spellcasting AND advances rage. Even if you don't top out until ECL 17, it's still pretty good in the meantime.

Mongoose87
2010-06-24, 06:36 PM
Note that Rage Mage has 3/4 BAB and 1/2 casting progression, so more than 3 levels is almost always a bad idea and more than 1 is usually a bad idea.

Actually, its first level that advances casting is level 2, and it comes with Overcome Spell Failure, so it's basically a 2 level dip + Extra Rage to make it work.

arguskos
2010-06-24, 06:39 PM
either be a Rashemen or have Knowledge: Local (Rashemen) 2
While I LOVE Runescarred Berserker, this rule changed in Player's Guide to Faerun (sidebar, page 33). The 2 rank thing no longer qualifies you for taking Regional Feats, and seeing as how it's not an explicit permission for Berserker, it should be ignored here as well.

However, if you waive the fluff restriction, Runescarred Berserker is EXACTLY what you want for this character.

Optimystik
2010-06-24, 06:41 PM
Why is everyone forgetting Runescarred Berserker from Shining South Unapproachable East (why do I always mix those two books up)?

Because they are both [adjective] [direction] :smalltongue:

Anyway, Runescarred Berserker has a tiny problem - nothing actually allows them to cast spells while raging.

I'll toss my own recommendation in - Cerebral Rager from Hyperconscious.

mabriss lethe
2010-06-24, 06:41 PM
Nonononono.... no actual caster. Barbarians can't cast spells during a rage. I have a better idea.

Binder and Barbarian.

Supernatural abilities function just fine during a rage (and many of them are passive, to boot.) And nothing is quite so dark and creepy as a binder played to the hilt.

Mongoose87
2010-06-24, 06:57 PM
Nonononono.... no actual caster. Barbarians can't cast spells during a rage.

Rage Mages can.

Eldariel
2010-06-24, 06:58 PM
Because they are both [adjective] [direction] :smalltongue:

Anyway, Runescarred Berserker has a tiny problem - nothing actually allows them to cast spells while raging.

As they don't actually cast spells, I'm not sure that's a problem.

Fax Celestis
2010-06-24, 07:00 PM

The way I read it, they're precast when they're scribed, you just activate them by touch when you need to.

Runestar
2010-06-24, 07:37 PM
Bard4/Bard1/spellsword1/ragemage2/XXX/sublime chord2/eldritch knight9?

I need 1 more lv in a prc which improves arcane spellcasting by 1. Any suggestions?

Optimystik
2010-06-24, 07:47 PM

That depends on how you define "requires patience or concentration." I don't think it would break them if they could though.

It would also depend on whether activating them provokes an AoO or not - the ability does not say anything other than that they are standard actions to touch.

Mongoose87
2010-06-24, 07:48 PM
Might I suggest taking all five levels of Abjurant Champion, from Complete Mage?

Admiral Squish
2010-06-24, 08:00 PM
How convenient, my current project (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157302) has a few options fitting exactly that description! For melee, you likely want the pit fiend totem, but shadow totem has some nice dark magic-y feel to it. There's also vampire totem, and there's a number of undead totems are on the to-be-created list. Feel free to use anything, just tell me how it goes.

Thurbane
2010-06-24, 09:28 PM
You will need to change the racial stuff, but my Goatfolk Gish is based on Barbarian/Sorcerer: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8689308&postcount=21

Fax Celestis
2010-06-24, 09:38 PM
Alternatively, (and sort of lol-ishly), you could go Beguiler/Barbarian, and take rage as one of your advanced learning spells.

Cast invisibility on yourself, then cast rage on yourself. Next turn, use your Rage class feature and charge. My wife did this, and it was freaking hilarious.