PDA

View Full Version : Threads insisting they have new posts when they don't

DragoonWraith
2010-06-25, 03:02 PM
So, a few days ago threads stopped registering that I'd read them. Threads I'd read previously stayed read, and would even be registered as read if new posts were added and I read those, but all threads after this started happening that I hadn't read previously constantly remain bolded, with the little V button for reading the first unread post, and that button always brings me to the first post, as if I'd never read the thread. The threads do get colored as visited links, but it's kind of annoying not to be able to tell at a glance whether someone has said something new in a thread. Eventually they get marked as read, but that happens at the same time as threads I actually haven't read, so it's not that helpful, and it usually takes a day or so of the thread not being posted in anyway...

Anyone know why this is happening/how it might be fixed?

The Rose Dragon
2010-06-25, 04:07 PM
Try clearing your cache. That usually helps that problem.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-06-25, 04:09 PM
Most likely, your browser is bringing up cached versions of the forum pages. If you can change your cache settings, try that.

If that still doesn’t work, the actual read thread data is tracked via cookies. If you’re willing to clear your cookies, you can try that. But it will log you out of this and any other websites that you may have an automatic login on.

DragoonWraith
2010-06-25, 04:55 PM
Most likely, your browser is bringing up cached versions of the forum pages. If you can change your cache settings, try that.
Clearing the cache didn't seem to work. Any particular settings I should try?

If that still doesn’t work, the actual read thread data is tracked via cookies. If you’re willing to clear your cookies, you can try that. But it will log you out of this and any other websites that you may have an automatic login on.
Or I could just delete GitP's cookie, which would be easier. But wouldn't I just run into this problem again? Is there a "max cookie size" or something that's preventing GitP from marking new threads as read?

EDIT: Huh, now some threads that previously were getting marked as read no longer are. But not all of them. Sigh.

EDIT2: Nevermind, it did after a refresh.

EDIT3: Deleting the GitP cookie seems to have fixed it... at least temporarily.

Rauthiss
2010-06-25, 06:54 PM
In a related issue, I've been having the opposite problem: Threads being marked as read without me reading them.

The Rose Dragon
2010-06-25, 08:50 PM
In a related issue, I've been having the opposite problem: Threads being marked as read without me reading them.

That happens to everyone, I think. It's probably a part of the forum software (or cookies, or whatever) that makes threads appear as read after a certain while. So I don't think that can be fixed.

horngeek
2010-06-25, 10:28 PM
Incidentally, it happens when you're logged out. Either by the fact that you had no activity for 15 minutes or when you click that button called 'log out'.

Mythweavers doesn't have it, and it runs on vBulletin as well, so it's evidently by choice. :smallconfused:

The Rose Dragon
2010-06-25, 10:30 PM
Mythweavers doesn't have it, and it runs on vBulletin as well, so it's evidently by choice. :smallconfused:

Myth-weavers also has it, as old threads appear read whether you have read them or not.

horngeek
2010-06-26, 01:16 AM
Yes, but it takes considerably longer. GitP does it every time you log off.

Narmoth
2010-06-26, 04:14 AM
Incidentally, it happens when you're logged out. Either by the fact that you had no activity for 15 minutes or when you click that button called 'log out'.

Yes, when you log out, there's no reason to show what threads have been read by Horngeek or Narmoth, so the difference is there only when you're logged on

DragoonWraith
2010-06-26, 10:46 AM
I find that one a minor inconvenience.

At any rate, I've set my cache to, uh, "never". Which is really wasteful, but I couldn't figure out any other settings that actually worked.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-06-26, 05:24 PM
Or I could just delete GitP's cookie, which would be easier.
Oh, yeah sure. If you’re familiar with the full functionality of your browser’s cookie management system anyway. :smallsmile:

That happens to everyone, I think. It's probably a part of the forum software (or cookies, or whatever) that makes threads appear as read after a certain while. So I don't think that can be fixed.
I believe that problem has been linked to opening multiple threads at once in different tabs or windows. It messes with how the software updates the cookies.

When you log out, vBulletin deletes whatever cookies it had set, including the cookie for tracking read/unread data.

I believe vBulletin has a configuration setting that allows the read/unread data to be stored in a server-side database rather than cookies. This allows for more reliable tracking of the data, but can be more resource intensive. If memory serves, GiantITP was set to use the database for a week or two after the switch to vBulletin. It was switched to cookie-based tracking to save on server resources.