PDA

View Full Version : The Blue Mage

Corporate M
2010-06-26, 10:47 PM
Note: I'm aware there's a bluemage that was made quite some time ago at wotc forum. Infact, I was there and was involved in the topic of it's creation. But more or less, that bluemage was a pimped out spelltheif. This isn't. This is more like a humanoid taking monster characteristics as his abilities...

THE BLUE MAGE:
http://www.galbadiax.com/images/news/ffxi-blu.jpg
Hit Die: d10 Armor Prof: Light (no shields) Weapon Prof: Simple and martial
Class Skills: Choose any 10 skills as class skills along with concentration, knowledge (arcana), and spellcraft
Skillpoints first level: 4+int modifier x4
Skillpoints additional level: 4+int modifier

{table=head]Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will| Special
1 | +1 | +X |+X | +X | Monster Ability (spell-like), Steal spell-like
2 | +2 | +X | +X | +X | Monster Ability (spell-like), Touch Attack
3 | +3 | +X | +X | +X | +2 to natural armor bonus
4 | +4 | +X | +X | +X | Monster Ability (spell-like)
5 | +5 | +X | +X | +X | +2 to any stat
6 | +6/+1 | +X | +X| +X | +4 to natural armor bonus
7 | +7/+2 | +X | +X | +X | Monster Ability (spell-like), Monster Ability (supernatural)
8 | +8/+3 | +X | +X | +X | Steal Supernatural
9 | +9/+4 | +X | +X | +X | +6 to natural armor bonus
10 | +10/+5 | +X | +X | +X | +2 to any stat
11 | +11/+6/+1 | +X | +X | +X | Monster Ability (supernatural)
12 | +12/+7/+2 | +X | +X | +X | +8 to natural armor bonus
13 | +13/+8/+3 | +X | +X | +X | Monster Ability (supernatural)
14 | +14/+9/+4 | +X | +X | +X | Monster Ability (extraordinary)
15 | +15/+10/+5 | +X | +X | +X | +2 to any stat, +10 to natural armor bonus
16 | +16/+11/+6/+1 | +X | +X | +X | Monster Ability (supernatural)
17 | +17/+12/+7/+2 | +X | +X | +X | Monster Ability (extraordinary)
18 | +18/+13/+8/+3 | +X | +X | +X | +12 to natural armor bonus
19 | +19/+14/+9/+4 | +X | +X | +X | Monster Ability (extraordinary)
20 | +20/+15/+10/+5 | +X | +X | +X | +2 to any stat, Monster Ability (extraordinary)
[/table]

Saving Throw:
You get to choose two good saves and one bad save.

Monster Ability:
As the levels listed in the table, you gain either a spell-like, supernatural, or extraordinary ability of a monster with hit die equal to or less then your own. The DC is always charisma based however.

Steal Spell-Like (Ex) :
At first level when you are effected (even if not the target) by a spell-like ability, you may make a spellcraft check DC equal to the hit die+10 of the creature using the spell-like ability. If you succeed, you can use that spell-like ability yourself once. You can only "carry" one spell like ability this way at a time, and can with-hold it from use as long as you wish but once it's used, it cannot be recovered and you will need to steal it again. Once you reach 8th level you can use this to steal supernatural abilities as well.

Touch Attack (Ex) :
All your attacks are considered touch attacks.

Natural Armor Bonus (Ex) :
At 3rd and every three levels after that, you gain a +2 commulative natural armor bonus up to +12 at 18th level.

Stat Bonus (Ex) :
You gain +2 to any stat of your choosing at 5th and every fifth level after that.

NecroticPunch
2010-06-26, 10:49 PM
In the case that you want this to be Evaluated
This is obscenely over powered. Any monster ability... you become god, pretty much.

Milskidasith
2010-06-26, 10:53 PM
This is the most powerful class that could possibly exist. You can grant yourself the abilities of a Sarrukh, which, long story short, are what make Pun-Pun Pun-Pun. Even without that kind of cheese, monsters typically have very powerful abilities, such as spell like abilities, or flat out spellcasting, which, IIRC, is an Ex ability (or Su, but still easily obtainable).

EDIT: Also, making all attacks touch attacks at level 2 is broken just for any melee dipping.

Mongoose87
2010-06-26, 11:17 PM
Whoa, really sacrificing power for flavor, here, aren't you?

Corporate M
2010-06-26, 11:26 PM
lol, I hadn't thought of that. I don't know what sarrukh is, I kind of just skim through my monster manuals...

Frankly I was worried people would think it broken cause of the high AC and stat bonus. I never imagined it'd be the core of the build that was the problem. ^^;;

The touch attack thing I debated in my head about putting at a later level, but figured by the time it would seem appropiate, it wouldn't be all that useful.

Milskidasith
2010-06-26, 11:39 PM
lol, I hadn't thought of that. I don't know what sarrukh is, I kind of just skim through my monster manuals...

Frankly I was worried people would think it broken cause of the high AC and stat bonus. I never imagined it'd be the core of the build that was the problem. ^^;;

The touch attack thing I debated in my head about putting at a later level, but figured by the time it would seem appropiate, it wouldn't be all that useful.

How would all attacks being touch attacks ever stop being useful? If you ever plan to hit something, it's going to be an amazingly powerful ability.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-06-27, 02:19 AM
You know my iizardman fighter Zorr recently received the power of blue magic.

I'll describe the basics

First blue magic costs BMP points . My blue magic points are equal to my HD/class level plus con modifier. (16 in this case).

Using a power does not cost BMP but having that power for the day does, some powers require I have others manifested.

New blue magic powers are acquired by eating creatures, the DM determines all powers. Once a power is required I don't need to eat the creature again.

The powers I currently have access to.[his stuff is more technically written I'm short handing it.}

Chromatic Flavor[3 BMP]
Acquired: Eating a true dragon
Benefit: I pick one type of chromatic dragon I have eaten in this case my only option currently is black.
I gain resistance to acid 5 and water breathing, different colors provide different abilities.

I can only manifest one flavor at a time, the flavor also alters my scale color to that of the dragon.

Chimeric Breath: {2BMP]
Requirements: Chromatic Flavor
Food: I ate a Chimera
Benefit: I gain a breath weapon that deals 3d8 points of damage, reflex for half (Constitution based.) in either a 20ft cone or a 40ft line, shape and damage determined by my chromatic flavor.
I can use the breath weapon every 1d4 as a standard action OR[and this is truly awesome] in place of my bite attack during a full attack routine.

Abundant Eyes:{2BMP]
Food: I ate a beholder[really hard to cook the roast kept trying to float away]
Benefit: I sprout eyes in the back of my head, +2 to search and spot checks and I can't be blanked except my a rogue 5 levels higher then me.

Float[2 BMP]
Food: Also Beholder
Benefit, I gain a fly speed of 20ft with perfect maneuverability, so long as I can hold my breath.

Stunning Croak[1 BMP]
Food: Slaad, [slaad salad to be precise]
1/day I can emit a croak that stuns all with in 20ft for 1d3 rounds fort negates. Constitution based..

Three Heads[4 BMP, 3 corruption]
Food: Acquired from that same Chimera
Benefit: I grow two more heads one ram and one lion, each head can make an additional secondary attack for 1d8 points of damage

Dragon Wings[3 BMP, 2 Corruption
Food; Once again that dragon I ate
Requirements: Chromatic Flavor
Benefit: I grow a pair of dragonic wings and can fly at a speed of 60ft with average maneuverability.
*Gained these powers at the same time I got a couple feats, naturally one of them was hover*

Skin of the Mage Hunter 5 BMP, 1 Corruption]
Food: I ate a Raksasha
Benefit: SR of 5+HD/class,
I can increase the SR by 1 to a maximum of +10 (15+HD) for 1 additional corruption per point.

Spirit Casting: {1BMP 1 Corruption]
Pick a sorcerer spell of 3rd levle or lower I can cast it 1/day with a CL equal to my HD -4. (I have the mage slayer feat).
I can pick this ability more then once.

Burrowing[2 BMP]
I gain a burrow speed of 10ft

Now what is corruption I'm sure you'll ask? you see I gained these powers by becoming the new prison for an immortal dracolich who needs no phylactery.

A corruption check goes as followers (1d20+corruption score). The score resets at the start of each day unless I'm dead in which case it continues to grow.

A Corruption check is triggered if,
an arcane spellcaster dies within 30ft of me,
I suffer more then 50 points of damage in a single attack.
I fail a will save vs a fear effect,
I witness a traumatic event, such as the death of a friend.
I die (+10 to the corruption check)
Each day the sunsets I remain dead.

Corruption Check Results
20: I gain 1 corruption
40: Dracrylikou awakens!, which is bad, not end of the world bad but bad, for me and the party.
Thankfully unless I abuse certain powers like skin of the mage hunter or spirit casting its unlikely I'll roll a corruption check of 20. Unless I remain dead for a very extended period of time.

But essentially how the DM set it up is he controls what powers I can gain. Everything above was from something I had already eaten before the powers manifested. I hope to eat a manticore and gain some tail spikes!

Anyway to make a blue mage class. You'd need to create balanced powers and a limit to how many you can have access to at a given time. You can't blindly duplicate monster abilities give them to a PC and expect it to be balanced.
After all in the FF games there is a list of creatures you acquire blue magic from. Its not simply ANY beast but a set few.

Also Zorr's new heroic speech.[shamelessly ripped off from the Green Lantern]
[B]In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my might.
Let those who worship evil's blight,
Beware my power...
Blue Magics Light!

*Why is it called Blue Magic? because Zorr said it felt blue*

Waargh!
2010-06-27, 02:51 AM
I like the idea of gaining monster abilities though.

Go away with all the natural bonuses. All the increase of stats and the touch attack ability. Reduce the D10 for a hit die, and put d6. Keep light armor.

Do this:
Monster Ability (SU)
You can gain one monster ability of a creature you can see. You spent a move action doing so. This ability lasts for 24h or until expended if it is expendable. You gain any physical characteristics associated with the new ability. If there is none ability, you gain a natural weapon and its attack. You can hold abilities up to your charisma modifier any single time.
Each time you use this ability you randomly gain an ability from a monster and you cannot target the same monster more than once on any 24h period. The list of available abilities are the ones listed on the monster description that are not related to any item it possesses.
If it is a physical attack, the weapon related to the attack is reduced to your size. Reduce damage accordingly (use die increase/decrease for size) for all physical attacks, including poison, breath weapons or hurling objects.
If it is a spell-like or magical attack its damage remains unchanged.

Restrictions
-Cannot assume supernatural abilities that would change your form in any way (ghost, displacer)
-Cannot steal spell casting ability
-You cannot gain regeneration or damage reduction or any other immunity or resistance. Neither natural armor or any other increase in stat. If there is an ability that states so, ignore it from the available list.

Upgrades
Make him able to gain supernatural abilities that change his form after level 10.
Make him be able to increase a natural weapon or attack stolen by one size.
Make him able to choose once per day what ability to steal.

Other abilities
Make him be able to steal spell-like abilities as you do. Make him hold as many as equal to CHA mod.
Make him be able to use a spell-like ability as a counter spell

Give him an armor upgrade in some levels, like level 8 medium, level 16 heavy. Make armor to fit in all forms he might assume

Overall, he shouldn't be too powerful as long as the monsters he encounters are not powerful. The DM can make powerful abilities or combination last less hours. Though, it is not needed since the Blue Mage can be useless without good abilites, extremely powerful with the right abilities. So it would depend each day for him.

Morph Bark
2010-06-27, 05:24 AM
In brightest day, in blackest night,
Beware my power...
Blue Magics Light!

What, it's not true Blue?

In fearful day, in raging night,
With strong hearts full, our souls ignite,
When all seems lost in the War of Light,
Look to Blue Magic -- for hope burns bright!

Dead_Jester
2010-06-27, 06:23 AM
Like others said, any monster ability is overpowered, and their are too many horrible combinations I can think of (how about a Chronotryn double action + a lurker double standard + beholder eye rays), and some abilities definitely need to be off limits.

You should still have a choice and control if you want offensive or defensive abilities,

Dairun Cates
2010-06-27, 01:37 PM
A lot of people are focusing on how much the blue magic is bad here because of horrible pun-pun-like shenanigans, but the problem is that this is unbalanced really even before we get there.

You've got the HP and BA progression of a fighter, the skill selection of a rogue, almost the saves of a monk, multiple points added to your abilities scores, martial weapon proficiency, a ridiculous buff to natural armor, and an ability every level.

Even all that alone minus the monster abilities makes it a match for a good number of base classes. Sure, you're missing out on a few feats here and there or the minor spell-casting of a ranger, but WITHOUT Blue Magic, this is an insanely pimped out fighter. You don't have a lot for damage, but the rest of the stuff you get is pretty ridiculous. All you really need is power attack and a good two-handed weapon and you're in business.

In short, why WOULDN'T I play this instead of 90% of the base melee classes?

So, yeah. It needs a lot of toning down, and the monster abilities need to really be off a chart to prevent horrible horrible shenanigans. You're already borrowing from a source, so I'd recommend actually using the good old blue magic abilities from the tactics games and final fantasy 6.

Hyooz
2010-06-27, 02:11 PM
Quickness from the Choker is also a lovely choice.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-06-27, 02:37 PM
What, it's not true Blue?

In fearful day, in raging night,
With strong hearts full, our souls ignite,
When all seems lost in the War of Light,
Look to Blue Magic -- for hope burns bright!

God you mean there's a blue lantern corp now? I guess Zorr will use both oaths depending on the mood. Though I prefer the more traditional one.

What he really needs is to eat a blue dragon so he can breathe lightning.

Morph Bark
2010-06-27, 02:40 PM
God you mean there's a blue lantern corp now? I guess Zorr will use both oaths depending on the mood. Though I prefer the more traditional one.

What he really needs is to eat a blue dragon so he can breathe lightning.

In fact, there is rings (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_ring_(weapon)) (and accompanied Corps) for each of the seven colours of the rainbow, as well as Black and White now. White is a combination of the seven colours, each powered by a different "emotion".

Dairun Cates
2010-06-27, 02:43 PM
In fact, there is rings (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_ring_(weapon)) (and accompanied Corps) for each of the seven colours of the rainbow, as well as Black and White now. White is a combination of the seven colours, each powered by a different "emotion".

Does that mean that the ultimate lantern is Jesse Jackson?

Corporate M
2010-06-27, 07:14 PM
Even all that alone minus the monster abilities makes it a match for a good number of base classes. Sure, you're missing out on a few feats here and there or the minor spell-casting of a ranger, but WITHOUT Blue Magic, this is an insanely pimped out fighter. You don't have a lot for damage, but the rest of the stuff you get is pretty ridiculous. All you really need is power attack and a good two-handed weapon and you're in business.

Actually you've given me a wonderful idea to cut out the middle man of an entirely new class and just allow fighter to take bluemagic as a fighter only feat.

Blue Magic (Sp) :
Choose a spell-like ability of a monster equal to or less then your own hit die. DC is based off the key stat of your choice. (Cha, Wis, Int)

Blue Magic (Su) :
Choose a supernatural ability of a monster equal to or less then your own hit die. DC is based off the key stat of your choice. (Cha, Wis, Int) And is only usable a number of times per day equal to your key stat's modifier.

Blue Magic (Ex) :
Choose an extraordinary ability of a monster equal to or less then your own hit die. DC is based off the key stat of your choice. (Cha, Wis, Int)

I think it'll still scare people. But atleast now...

A: Not nearly as much diversity in saves, skills, and no stat/armor bonus.
B: Supernatural abilities have been nerfed.
C: Less overall abilities because you have to expend a feat.
D: It encourages staying in the fighter class. Which is a tier-5 so it evens out. (Maybe... lol!)

I'm not really the first person to use this sortof feat. A couple of topics back, there was this feat made by a guy, I don't remember his name, but it was called "arcane fighter" that allowed a fighter to expend a feat for a spell-like ability of any spell a sorcerer could cast of that level. I'm not entirely certain which is more terrifying of spell synergy or monster synergy. But arcane fighter makes warlocks look like a chump, this might too. But atleast it's under the pretense of wanting to be more like a monster and less like a spellcaster.

Hyooz
2010-06-27, 07:23 PM
How does this strike you as a better idea?

In class form, at least I don't get anything else. But if it's too strong as a class feature, it's a very safe bet it'll be too good as a feat. The HD limit added helps, but doesn't fix a single problem, while raising others.

Chokers have 3 HD. This makes fighter an awesome dip at level 3, to grab that feat and suddenly have two standard actions always.

Or a caster of high enough level casts Heroics and temporarily grants himself a fighter feat to get the Sarrukh power, then alters himself to have it always and we lose again.

This takes the problem and exacerbates it.

Apalala
2010-06-27, 08:38 PM
How does this strike you as a better idea?

In class form, at least I don't get anything else. But if it's too strong as a class feature, it's a very safe bet it'll be too good as a feat. The HD limit added helps, but doesn't fix a single problem, while raising others.

Chokers have 3 HD. This makes fighter an awesome dip at level 3, to grab that feat and suddenly have two standard actions always.

Or a caster of high enough level casts Heroics and temporarily grants himself a fighter feat to get the Sarrukh power, then alters himself to have it always and we lose again.

This takes the problem and exacerbates it.

The Su abilities are usable only a limited number of times per day, based on the mental stat you're using. So, a fighter with good charisma would get 3 or 4 extra standard actions a day. Pretty hax, but not at will. Not as hax as some of the spell-likes at will either. You could take, for instance, a genie's wishing abilities or its at-will invisibility.

Milskidasith
2010-06-27, 08:40 PM
The Su abilities are usable only a limited number of times per day, based on the mental stat you're using. So, a fighter with good charisma would get 3 or 4 extra standard actions a day. Pretty hax, but not at will. Not as hax as some of the spell-likes at will either. You could take, for instance, a genie's wishing abilities or its at-will invisibility.

That's not how it was worded, nor does it make the feat any less broken, nor does it prevent Sarrukh shenanigans.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-06-27, 09:05 PM
Actually you've given me a wonderful idea to cut out the middle man of an entirely new class and just allow fighter to take bluemagic as a fighter only feat.

I refer you to my first post of the topic where my fighter acquired blue magic and I explained how it works.

Jolee
2010-06-28, 04:05 AM
If you're considering creating a blue magic feat you my want to take a look at spell-touched feats (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/spelltouchedFeats.htm) from unearthed arcana as inspiration/examples.

In brightest day, in blackest night,
Beware my power...
Blue Magics Light!

On a rather random note, by connecting Green Lantern to D&D you've just inspired me to try and play a character based off Rot Lop Fan (http://greenlantern.wikia.com/wiki/Rot_Lop_Fan) the next chance I get.
Please have a cookie :smallsmile:

Apalala
2010-06-28, 04:24 AM
If you're considering creating a blue magic feat you my want to take a look at spell-touched feats (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/spelltouchedFeats.htm) from unearthed arcana as inspiration/examples.

On a rather random note, by connecting Green Lantern to D&D you've just inspired me to try and play a character based off Rot Lop Fan (http://greenlantern.wikia.com/wiki/Rot_Lop_Fan) the next chance I get.
Please have a cookie :smallsmile:

On the subject of Green Lantern...

http://mutantsandmasterminds.com/dc_adventures/2010/06/dc-adventures-design-journal-4.php