PDA

View Full Version : Bounce some ideas off me

Yar
2010-06-27, 01:01 AM
Ok im trying to think up a Better name for a home brew world. Midea is my current working name.

Some tidbits

No gods: What people see as gods are just manifestations of their own faith.Sounds silly but anything can be a "god" Believe in the Sun long enough and the fact you have faith in that grants you spells. A separate seemingly Mindless being latches onto the belief and makes it whole. Believe in that giant rat statue long enough and poof animal domain, Sounds weird i know. Faith makes the gods. Gods can manifest, with enough worshipers Their combined faith actually creates the physical form of the god from the ether.

Uber demons: What happens when someone stops believing in a god? most of the time the god fades away But every once and a while you get a demon. The faith that once sustained the god is no longer their they need to find spiritual sustenance somewhere else, namely in the form of spirits. Demons are gods who no longer can be worshiped in the regular sense and whom devourer the souls of the living to feed their own existence.

Magical calamity: At one point in the history of Midea 80% of all magic using creatures were killed off in a magical extinction. Now magic is a chaotic unknown force that many races are just barely starting to master. Magical items don't quite work like they used to and have various quirks.

Humans are aliens: Well kinda, Humans were long ago Simple cave men enslaved by a malevolent species and moved to one of mideas moons where they were bred for countless centuries, these humans were forced to adapt to the harsh and varied climates of the moon. One day the strange malevolent species sat their sights on Midea after the magical calamity Knocked out a big chunk of their serious competition. However this war was lost and these human slaves were freed and turned on their masters and now forge their own destinies throughout the world.

Cooler races: Goodbye Gnomes Hello Kobolds.

Anyways any name ideas would be helpful. I'm looking for a name of the planet.

TheLonelyScribe
2010-06-27, 01:22 AM
Not sure if I can help someone who doesn't like gnomes....:smallbiggrin:

I like the 'no gods' thing, I had an idea where study of magic shows that, on it's path to divine casters it gets diverted somewhere, but no-one knows where (dun, dun, DUN!).

Name? Howabout Vesthos. Gooma. Velkair. Untegon. Horagos. Nera. Quist. I could go on, but one of those should do, I hope.

The Mentalist
2010-06-27, 02:47 AM
I like the gods idea. It's really quite interesting.

onthetown
2010-06-27, 07:53 PM
Two names I found awhile ago that I very much like for planet names: Jihan and Kaihan. Both mean something like "world" or "universe" or some such thing.

Yar
2010-06-28, 12:01 AM
Not sure if I can help someone who doesn't like gnomes....:smallbiggrin:

Not that I hate Gnomes (ok, maybe that's part of it) But I always felt an interesting part of the game was playing something fantastic. and as is most of the normal player character races are Just varying proportions of human. So i thought i needed to throw some more exotic races into the mix. And not to say that my game doesn't have gnomes they just aren't as prevalent as in other worlds.

Oh yeah this whole game is Pathfinder compatible

To keep people Juices a Flowing i thought i might share some of the races with y'all. Some of these names you may recognize because i Grilled everyone a few months back to help with names.

Noble Aeodrin
Think of ancient Rome with slightly reversed gender rolls and a touch more equality and you have a good idea of their society.

Savage Aeodrin
Competitive Winged barbarians, Think Winged Norsemen and you have a good idea what your dealing with.

Bali'Deus
The ancestors of demons, An unsavory race created by demons pretty much breeding with everything and those halfbreed intern breeding with one another make something akin to a demonic Nhilistic Mongrel man.

Driders (In need of better Name)
Descendant of elves involved in a magical accident which transformed them into spiders. this magical accident permeates the species with numerous sorcerers. Very adept at the arcane arts and desert dwelling.

Ghulok
Warriors to the core this Less regenerative though smarter cousins of the troll takes mastering the arts of mind body and combat to an all new level. This species Invented Monk. Many fighters also grace their ranks as well as a few rogues. A strange curse changes them into the slavering cannibalistic trolls should their sense of self and honor be sufficiently tainted.

Haroon
Hulking humanoid horses with a strong Sense of goodness. Once an evil species of Tikbalang (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tikbalang)
A "god" And his faithful steed destroyed their master a demonic Nightmare. than Bade his fallen mount back to life to teach them the ways of goodness. Now they are A society of lawful good Holy book thumping paladins.

Kobolds
Kobolds are a Pygmy sub-species of lizard man that just took off in prevalence, Their ingenuity and skill with the pick cemented them an important place in the worlds economy. Kobold society is alive with several sub varieties. One with a venom spit, another that isn't quite so puny and is a touch more nature oriented like the lizard men themselves, And another still which is something like a Lizard centaur, Something of a throwback which can be borne from any Kobold.

Ku'Rap
The ultimate consumer and inverters of Firearms and gunpowder, The later of which is Made from the dried and powdered slime of their own secretions, these Snail people Reproduce at Prodigious rates. their species is prone to strange mutations some Member from to be enormous Siege snails of varying sizes and abilities. the old school Flail Snail from First edition is one such species. The Ku'rap is the ultimate consumer washing over lands and taking anything of value only to move onto the next place to ravage to keep their number alive.

Mroteg
A species related distantly to Medusa, The cerebral and seemingly emotionless beings are on the brink of extinction a relic of the past that seek a way to save their fading race.

Uguth
A species not unlike a cross between a mind Flayer and a Lovecraftian deep one. These creatures are Obsessed with their own perceived Physical beauty. The slightest deviation on what is considered beautiful result in magical castration and exile (I.e. Players characters). Uguth keep numerous slaves to lessen the burdens on themselves so they may lessen the risk of an imperfection forming during and accident.

Shadow Gnolls
A species of Gnoll that basically worships Death. A society of stealthy killers. However they never deal death without purpose. Each killing is an art and part of a larger scheme. They believe if the right people are murdered during the tight times and in the right places than it will trigger Armageddon bringing the world into perfect unity under the banner of death. So leaches the grim reaper. (Im thinking about changing this so an evil version of anubis instead of the grim reaper.)

Zevarok
Zevarok are to dwarves what half orcs are to humans. Only more reviles they take all the worst traits associated with orcs and dwarves Wads them together and douses them with malice. Zevarok tend to be understandably ill tempered and brutal individuals. A bit of kindness can go a long way with one of these abysmal beings.

Yar
2010-06-29, 12:50 AM
Hmm i thought if there was a racial Rundown than maybe it would get peoples planet naming juices flowing.

Yar
2010-07-01, 10:37 AM
Name? Howabout Vesthos. Gooma. Velkair. Untegon. Horagos. Nera. Quist. I could go on, but one of those should do, I hope.

No no please go on :)

jiriku
2010-07-01, 05:03 PM
Suggestion? Exotic names are good and all, but sometimes, especially with basic races, a familiar name is desirable. It gives players a familiar concept they can anchor to, and activates their imaginations because the name triggers associations with their previous experiences.

The exotic names can be used for members of specific tribes or nations. For example, instead of saying "he's a Ghulok", you can say "he's a half-troll, one of the people of Ghulok". It's nice.

Bali'Deus --> Tiefling

Driders --> leave as Drider

Ghulok -- Half-Troll

Haroon --> Centaur

Kobolds --> leave as Kobold

Mroteg --> Medusan

Uguth --> Kuo-Toa

Shadow Gnolls --> Gnoll

Zevarok --> Derro

(I am STRONGLY resisting the urge to tell you that your Zevaroks, as half dwarf/half-orcs, should be called Dorcs.)

Yar
2010-07-01, 09:46 PM
DORKS lol!

All of the races except for Kobolds Is pretty much built from scratch and don't have much in common with the somewhat similar races you mentioned. Though maybe more simple names would be in order.

By the way i picked my name for the planet Welcome to Krathos!

And thanks for all your inspiring name ideas.

TabletopNuke
2010-07-02, 11:30 PM
I'm liking what you have so far. I especially like the focus on monster races and I hope to see some stats soon. I have personally never played a human (or ordinary humanoid) because that's what I am every day and I want to be something exciting in my games.

What do you plan to do for unusual magic? I'm making magic (and to a lesser degree psionics) scarce the human world of my Breakdown setting and I'd love to swap ideas about that.

Corporate M
2010-07-02, 11:48 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_63D8SW1zZOs/SYfXDfVX2jI/AAAAAAAABMQ/xuyTZhgvYxY/s400/bioshock+-+no+gods.jpg
Call your world Rapture.

centuriancode
2010-07-03, 01:39 AM
With the simpler names idea, there is a basic principle in most fantasy and SF that says when you're coming up with a name for something, just describe it. If you want to, you can chuck a suffix on to make it seem more like a name than an adjective, but unless you're writing something like A Clockwork Orange where not understanding the language is the whole point, people like it best if you make it simple for them.

As such, Jiriku's suggestions will help your players because they will give them a quick run down of the guiding idea of the fluff, even though the monsters will function in totally different ways.