PDA

View Full Version : Rifts Ultimate [Palladium]

Caliphbubba
2010-06-28, 12:13 PM
Hello there playgrounders!

A good friend of mine has been kicking around running a Rifts game based out of South America, possibly dipping into Psyscape at some point. He is something of a powergamer and I'm guessing that the stories he has the group go through will be pretty brutal.

It's been absolute ages since I actually made a character for Rifts, as I find the Palladium system pretty cumbersome. I love the world and the storys that take place in Rifts and ususally just disregard the crunch when I'm re-reading my books.

He want's the characters to be roughly human-sized, and something that would makes sense to be in South America.*

So anybody have any glorious ideas for me?

Between the small group of us we have access to most of the dimension and world books.

*He did say no random rifting in at character creation.

bignate
2010-06-28, 12:30 PM
if he is a power gamer and you are in south america there are a lot of good choices. C J carella wrote using his own power level i think...

since you mentioned psyscape i would suggest achilles neo-human. they are very powerful geneticall enhanced humans from south america 2.

on a side note i used to love this game. the stories are so rich and deep...but the rules were crap and i got tired of having to make up rules every couple of hours in game to make up for a hole or inconsistency in their rules. i ended up selling my rifts collection of over 80 books for $200.

but i love and remember all of the setting and stories. if they would reprint the books in d20 or other good rules i would probably rebuy them all...

Caliphbubba
2010-06-28, 12:44 PM
if he is a power gamer and you are in south america there are a lot of good choices. C J carella wrote using his own power level i think...

since you mentioned psyscape i would suggest achilles neo-human. they are very powerful geneticall enhanced humans from south america 2.

on a side note i used to love this game. the stories are so rich and deep...but the rules were crap and i got tired of having to make up rules every couple of hours in game to make up for a hole or inconsistency in their rules. i ended up selling my rifts collection of over 80 books for $200.

but i love and remember all of the setting and stories. if they would reprint the books in d20 or other good rules i would probably rebuy them all...

I'll for sure check them out, thanks for the advice! He did tell me that everyone was going to be atleast a minor psy.

I love the stories and backrounds too, and pretty much agree with everything else you said. The rules kill it for me.

bignate
2010-06-28, 04:10 PM
achillies neo humans are very powerful psychics

Raging_Pacifist
2010-06-28, 04:18 PM
Well, if it's a power-gamer group, and you want something 'roughly' mansized, I would most likely pick the Anti-Monster from Columbia in SA1. It is essentially a mega powered, god fueled, human based, magic-borg designed for specifically taking on the biggest guys(monsters) around by themselves. A true tank if I've ever seen one, but the do have some role-playing limitations such as being obsessed with taking out the supernatural. Or, If that fails your interest, the TW-Ultra Crazy is a high-powered supernatural version or the standard crazy, which is always fun. Oh, and it's from SA2.

mabriss lethe
2010-06-28, 04:21 PM
I'd second the Anti-Monster. They're loads of fun.

LibraryOgre
2010-06-28, 05:08 PM
Mutant Capybara. You can dimensionally rift with your mind!

hamlet
2010-06-29, 06:52 AM
A savvy ley line walking wizard can do well in South America. There's lots of lines and nexuses (nexi?) if you take the time to learn them and use them. Sure, you're a bit squishy, but with clever preparation and judicious "tactical redeployment," you can become quite powerful quite quickly.

Caliphbubba
2010-06-29, 11:50 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions everybody!

I talked to the storyteller, and he's agreed to let me play a Neo-Human focused on Espionage/Communications. He said that it worked really well with what he had in mind.

After looking at it, they seem like sort of Mind Melters on speed. lol

Any suggestions for Powers to take or avoid?