PDA

View Full Version : Poison creation rules

Drogorn
2010-06-28, 05:04 PM
I was building a new character and encountered a roadblock. I need some detailed poison creation rules for star wars d20. Since the saves and poisons work the same way as DnD, I should be able to pull from pretty much anything that has detailed rules.

Has anyone written some sensible poison rules, or shall I write some up myself?

Lord Vukodlak
2010-06-28, 05:46 PM
Well the poison rules that exist are quite simple they follow the normally crafting rules with a few exceptions.
Unless there is a good hefty list of poisons in that d20 game your probably SOL unless someone coughs up a custom poison system.

First you don't convert the cost of the poison into silver pieces. Progress is in gold per week instead of silver. Which essentially means its ten times faster.

Second the raw materials cost 3/4 the cost of the market price. This represents the blackmarket deals necessary to buy the poison. If the raw material is readily available. Say your making wyvern poison and you happen to have a dead wyvern the cost is only 1/6.

Now an example, using the crafting rules
Wyvern Poison costs 3,000gp market price.
It has a craft DC of 25.
You roll your craft skill check the result is 30
Your check[if successful] x the craft DC equals the progress that week in gp.
In this case 750gp.
Making the same check everyweek you'd have your poison in about 4 weeks.

The raw material cost is based on the above.

I am however not familiar with starwards d20. [d6 starwars forever!]. So I am unsure how much the D&D rules will actually help.

Drogorn
2010-06-28, 07:41 PM
Not quite what I was wanting. I'm after custom poison rules.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-06-28, 07:47 PM
Do you mean creating completely new made up poisons from scratch? there's no such rules in the game, not in D&D anyway. Just rules for crafting already existing poisons.

Drogorn
2010-06-28, 07:55 PM
Yes, I'm wanting rules for custom poisons, preferably without having to buy another book. If no good rules exist, I will fix that problem. And it's looking like they don't.

DracoDei
2010-06-28, 08:23 PM
It may or may not help, but:
Check my extended signature. Look at the entire thread from my link for the Snake-blade PrC, and also I have a thread with some weird poisons I made up, basically on the spur of the moment, in it.

Zeful
2010-06-28, 08:24 PM
I was building a new character and encountered a roadblock. I need some detailed poison creation rules for star wars d20. Since the saves and poisons work the same way as DnD, I should be able to pull from pretty much anything that has detailed rules.

Has anyone written some sensible poison rules, or shall I write some up myself?

Write your own rules. The D&D poisons are massively overpriced for their effects.

DracoDei
2010-06-28, 08:46 PM
The larger thread I mentioned included some ways of fixing that...

McQ
2011-05-15, 03:58 AM
I'm very interested in the Customization of Poisons to create home-made versions from scratch.

I think you can break down what the poison does into a few parts with the Base # being the starting point for the Crafting DC
Damage: State, Physical, or Ability
State is the sleep, paralyze effects; base 10
Physical is the HP damage; base 12
Ability is the drain to abilities; base 14

Damage Die would start at 1D4
2D4 would add +1 to the Crafting DC
1D6 would add +2 to the Crafting DC

The Base # might equal the DC Save # with some more options
Adding +1 to the DC Save would increase the Crafting DC by +2
Adding a Secondary Save Check would cost +3 to the Crafting DC

So..I haven't tested this yet, but I imagine if I put this formula and compared it to an already made Poison it might equal out?

Any suggestions?

McQ
2011-05-15, 10:36 AM
Found a method for Crafting Your Own Poisons here (http://e3.lemdal.com/TER/gamerules/poisonsnmaking.htm)

It seems almost as if it's only taking a premade Poison and adding to it?

Lord Vukodlak
2011-05-15, 10:57 AM
There are no rule for creating brand new poisons, simple crafting existing ones.

Trying to come up with a set of rules for creating new poisons and pricing guidelines is ridiculus they won't work right.

Just pick an effect, pick a delivery method and pick a save DC. Then compare it to existing poisons and set a price you and the DM think is fair along with a craft DC.

The Dark Fiddler
2011-05-15, 05:50 PM
Damage Die would start at 1D4
2D4 would add +1 to the Crafting DC
1D6 would add +2 to the Crafting DC

These are backwards, since 2d4 is better than 1d6 in every way.

DracoDei
2011-05-15, 06:50 PM
Since this has been necrotized and THEN two other people posted on this, I might as well provide a LINK (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/printthread.php?t=151376) to a spell that keeps poison relevant at higher levels. Probably not as critical in Star Wars (very rare resurrection, if any, dunno about Light-Side powers that cure poison) but maybe it could still be turned into a Dark-Side power.

McQ
2011-05-16, 05:18 AM
Trying to come up with a set of rules for creating new poisons and pricing guidelines is ridiculus they won't work right.

I think you're right here, Lord Vukodlak. I've been able to track down many poisons from many sources, so I feel it will suffice. And if I did allow poisons made from scratch, I can imagine it would cause immense drag time and difficulty for the player.

McQ
2011-05-16, 05:24 AM
Since this has been necrotized and THEN two other people posted on this, I might as well provide a LINK (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/printthread.php?t=151376) to a spell that keeps poison relevant at higher levels. Probably not as critical in Star Wars (very rare resurrection, if any, dunno about Light-Side powers that cure poison) but maybe it could still be turned into a Dark-Side power.

Thanks VERY much for the link DracoDei, and I apologize I'm being redundant in adding to this thread. I honestly thought that your previous post about your signature links were for PrCs. I'm also embarrassed I couldn't find this Custom Poison Creation thread Drogorn put up.

Again, thank you very much. :)

DracoDei
2011-05-16, 01:06 PM
Thanks VERY much for the link DracoDei, and I apologize I'm being redundant in adding to this thread. I honestly thought that your previous post about your signature links were for PrCs.
One of them was, one was weird poisons I had made up. The Enhance Poison spell was not created at that time I don't think, or I probably would have linked it then. I created it in between the death of the thread and its reanimation. When it was Ressurected, I posted the link.

I'm also embarrassed I couldn't find this Custom Poison Creation thread Drogorn put up.
I wouldn't be too sure that the same thing wasn't going on there without checking the dates.

Again, thank you very much. :)
You are welcome.

McQ
2011-05-16, 05:41 PM
I got in trouble for bringing up this old post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158131)

In it is the ruling to determine the price based on the Craft DC.
Is it possible to reverse this method to find the Craft DC using the price?
The ruling is to take the Craft DC, multiply it by 2, and than multiply that by 20.
So in regards to Arsenic being 120gp, divide by 20, than divide that by 2 and you would reach a Craft DC of 3.
Does it seem feasible to use this method to determine the Craft DC for poisons with a price but no Craft DC?

Drogorn
2011-05-27, 01:08 PM
Instead of doing the math backwards, I tried to make it using my rules. Here's what I got:

Arsenic
Ingested DC 13 Primary 1d4 str, secondary 2d6 str

{table=head]Trait | Craft DC Modifier
Ingested poison | -5
Fort dc +3 | +6
Affects all creatures | +0
1d4 and 2d6 con damage, majority secondary | +5
Cheap | +5
Total craft DC | 11
Crafting Price | 147 gp
Market Price | 293 gp
[/table]