PDA

View Full Version : Opinions of Ganji and Enor

hobbitkniver
2010-06-29, 09:34 PM
The first thing I'd like to say is that they have been more important to the story so far than I have personally thought they would. I'm not getting in to alignments. So, I'd like to know what everyone else thinks.

How do you think they'll end up affecting the Order? I'm not so sure about this, but bringing Haley and Elan to the Blood Palace (or something like that)seems to be a mixed blessing.

And also, do you like them? I find myself hoping Roy would have at least injured one of them. Ganji seems kinda arrogant to me, but maybe thats just me. Enor doesn't seem to share this.

These are opinions. If you don't agree, there's no reason to get angry.

Knaight
2010-06-29, 09:39 PM
I like the both of them, sure they have flaws, but they fit well, and work as efficient bounty hunters while also having the interesting dynamics between the two of them.

SmaugTheYounger
2010-06-29, 10:16 PM
I'm no fan of bounty hunters, but these two somehow grow on me, Ganji a little more than Enor. Why? Enor's just a brute, but, one must admit, no matter what, he sticks up for Ganji. And Ganji knows that he's both more clever than Enor, but also much weaker. So he's constantly searching for ways to work around Enors flaws, while making good use of his strenghts, without denigrating him.

In other words: Genji is a teambuilder. Plus, his total disregard of other, even much more powerful people is somewhat charming. Casually insulting the empress, her powerful adviser and her top henchman and demanding to get paid for goods not delivered: That takes some real cojones.

So, some respect for these two, even when their business and actions are despicable. The giant made good use of them, and I'm looking forward seeing more of them.

If it does'nt end well for them, I will shed a proper tear.

Bongos
2010-06-29, 10:19 PM
These two guys are really some fun characters. And it seems like they are sticking around for a while longer yet. I bet it was very enjoyable for the author to create these two guys.

onthetown
2010-06-29, 10:23 PM
They're cute, but I'm more interested in what's going on at the palace. :smalltongue: That said, I hope they stay around for awhile. It's nice to see some new stick figures.

Pronounceable
2010-06-30, 01:05 AM
They're good characters, but no idea why they're so much liked. It's like Therkla or Katos all over again.

Gamgee
2010-06-30, 01:33 AM
Boring, please get to the main plot. Unless they serve a bigger purpose later they are really dragging the story to a crawl for me.

Bongos
2010-06-30, 02:11 AM
Boring, please get to the main plot. Unless they serve a bigger purpose later they are really dragging the story to a crawl for me.
Well they did bring the Oots to Tarquin who can further along the main plot...

hamishspence
2010-06-30, 04:12 AM
They might end up as this arc's equivalent of Samantha and her father- dangerous opponents to the Order, whom the Order do not kill, but end up dying anyway shortly afterward.

Probably not though.

suszterpatt
2010-06-30, 07:33 AM
I'm no fan of bounty hunters, but these two somehow grow on me, Ganji a little more than Enor. Why? Enor's just a brute, but, one must admit, no matter what, he sticks up for Ganji. And Ganji knows that he's both more clever than Enor, but also much weaker. So he's constantly searching for ways to work around Enors flaws, while making good use of his strenghts, without denigrating him.

In other words: Genji is a teambuilder. Plus, his total disregard of other, even much more powerful people is somewhat charming. Casually insulting the empress, her powerful adviser and her top henchman and demanding to get paid for goods not delivered: That takes some real cojones.

So, some respect for these two, even when their business and actions are despicable. The giant made good use of them, and I'm looking forward seeing more of them.

If it does'nt end well for them, I will shed a proper tear.This, basically. Though I don't really have anything against bounty hunters.

Pairing up a big strong simple guy and a small weak smart guy is a classic trope, and it should be no surprise that Rich pulls it off well. I suppose the main appeal is that people like to see good teamplay.

Ancalagon
2010-06-30, 07:43 AM
Boring, please get to the main plot.

Hum... I think we are right in the main plot.

Unless they serve a bigger purpose later they are really dragging the story to a crawl for me.

Given the experience with the past 700 strips... I ask how likely is it the current stuff does not lead to the plot/is already part of it?

Really, Roy and Belkar are now lead towards the palace (as prisoners, of course). Where are Elan an the rest? Right, in the palace. It's obvious things move together instead of "randomly around".

Kish
2010-06-30, 07:45 AM
I don't think they're interfering with the main plot...I don't think they're terribly interesting characters, either. If they died next strip, I wouldn't mind; if they never died during the comic, I wouldn't mind.

suszterpatt
2010-06-30, 07:50 AM
Boring, please get to the main plot. Unless they serve a bigger purpose later they are really dragging the story to a crawl for me.Just before Ennor and Ganji showed up, the Order was aimlessly going around taverns/guilds asking everyone for info on Girard. 15 strips after their first appearance, Elan has met his father (who also happens to know Girard) directly as a result of their actions. Another 3 strips later, the rest of the party (minus Durkon) is on its way to meet up with them, again as a result of interacting with them.

How did they not help the story along?

Dr.Epic
2010-06-30, 07:57 AM
Compared to them, the Linear Guild seems threatening and important.

hamishspence
2010-06-30, 08:01 AM
They did manage to capture 3 order members at once- the Linear Guild only managed to capture Elan (and then frame him).

Nilan8888
2010-06-30, 08:01 AM
Just before Ennor and Ganji showed up, the Order was aimlessly going around taverns/guilds asking everyone for info on Girard. 15 strips after their first appearance, Elan has met his father (who also happens to know Girard) directly as a result of their actions. Another 3 strips later, the rest of the party (minus Durkon) is on its way to meet up with them, again as a result of interacting with them.

How did they not help the story along?

Agreed. Before their appearance, the OOTS side of the story was starting to get bogged down and struggling to find something engaging, in my opinion. There's only so much wandering in the desert one can take before it starts getting old.

Gannji and Enor do seem to have a bit of the old 'George and Lenny' dynamic going on I guess, but I don't mind so much. I'd just be annoyed if they were evil since it seems everyone else that's getting by in the Empire of Blood is evil at this point.

They did manage to capture 3 order members at once- the Linear Guild only managed to capture Elan (and then frame him).

Right... the Linear Guild has done plenty of more heinous things, but when you think about it, Gannji and Enor have so far been more successful than they've been. Nale can't even keep his own members around for very long since they leave almost at the first moment in becomes convenient (Hilga, Pompey, that Druid guy).

hamishspence
2010-06-30, 08:09 AM
I'd just be annoyed if they were evil since it seems everyone else that's getting by in the Empire of Blood is evil at this point.

I'd say it's hard to be sure what alignment they are- if Evil, they're at the milder end, if Neutral, they're at the nasty end. More like Samantha's father.

Gannji's reaction to Malack suggesting that Elan's going to be eaten by the Empress of Blood even if he's not guilty of anything is "we do still get paid for bringing him in- right?"

That said- this might be better suited to the alignment thread- this thread probably works better for opinions of them as characters, rather than opinions of their alignment.

suszterpatt
2010-06-30, 08:21 AM
They did manage to capture 3 order members at once- the Linear Guild only managed to capture Elan (and then frame him).That's not really fair. E&G only had to beat Haley and Elan, since Roy, Belkar and Durkon (who could put up quite a lot of resistance on their own, let alone combined) weren't there, and V was almost completely incapacitated from the start.

By contrast, the LG never even wanted to capture anyone other than Elan (and distract the others long enough to do so).

Nilan8888
2010-06-30, 08:32 AM
That's not really fair. E&G only had to beat Haley and Elan, since Roy, Belkar and Durkon (who could put up quite a lot of resistance on their own, let alone combined) weren't there, and V was almost completely incapacitated from the start.

By contrast, the LG never even wanted to capture anyone other than Elan (and distract the others long enough to do so).

V taken out from the start was directly due to the actions of Gannji and Enor, though. And the LG has had a lot more help since there's been more members: even now there's 3 members and it's gotten up to a full compliment of 6.

Haley and V at this time are actually probably the highest members of OOTS: Haley's seen a lot of action being head of the resistance while at the same time Roy was, well, dead. What's more the ability of any LG member to hold their own against one of the OOTS has been rare: Roy's beaten Sabine at least once, Durkon's laid a smackdown or two, Belkar's had a high success rate even when handicapped with a mark of justice.

Dr.Epic
2010-06-30, 08:46 AM

They only had to go up against half the order - one person who became incapacitated from the start, and the other two didn't have classes suited for straight up combat.

Darcy
2010-06-30, 10:30 AM
I like them, I guess. I won't miss them if they're left behind after the end of this arc but they're fun enough to have around. Lightning-based breath weapons are awesome.

Regarding their ability to succeed outnumbered against the OOTS, it seems to be because they're in their element.

suszterpatt
2010-06-30, 02:53 PM
V taken out from the start was directly due to the actions of Gannji and Enor, though. And the LG has had a lot more help since there's been more members: even now there's 3 members and it's gotten up to a full compliment of 6.

Haley and V at this time are actually probably the highest members of OOTS: Haley's seen a lot of action being head of the resistance while at the same time Roy was, well, dead. What's more the ability of any LG member to hold their own against one of the OOTS has been rare: Roy's beaten Sabine at least once, Durkon's laid a smackdown or two, Belkar's had a high success rate even when handicapped with a mark of justice.The bolt hitting V was pretty much pure luck... or at least, not a conscious or tactical decision on Gannji's part (he even comments on this himself). If it hit anywhere else, the two bounty hunters would probably just be a another scoop of post-disintegration dust in the desert.

And yeah, the LG had more help, but like I said, all that help was to distract the other members, not to capture them. The basis for comparison is... vague, at best.

Bongos
2010-06-30, 03:47 PM
I kind of thought that shooting V was an intentional tactic of taking out the spellcaster first.

suszterpatt
2010-06-30, 04:45 PM
I kind of thought that shooting V was an intentional tactic of taking out the spellcaster first.It would have hit Elan had Haley not pushed him out of the way.

Ancalagon
2010-06-30, 04:51 PM
I kind of thought that shooting V was an intentional tactic of taking out the spellcaster first.

I thought so at first as well. The panel wasn't very clear on that. But knowing that Nale is actually their target and it seemed like they could have shot him and as Haley pushed him out of the way... I really think Elan was the intended target for the bolt.
To remove him from the fight but also to prevent the most valuable target to run away if the fight goes bad for his buddies.

Not-shooting the mage was a tactial mistake, but luckily (to them, of course ;)), it did not turn out to the attackers disadvantage.

Knaight
2010-07-02, 01:48 PM
Not-shooting the mage was a tactial mistake, but luckily (to them, of course ;)), it did not turn out to the attackers disadvantage.

That's questionable. Had they been the intended targets, they would have just removed the tactician, which is in itself major. Sure, against V, Haley, and Elan V should have been the target, and that is how it worked out, but shooting Nale could have been a very good idea.

Plus, angling it to hit the mage if the tactician dodges was just brilliant.

Ancalagon
2010-07-02, 02:41 PM
That's questionable. Had they been the intended targets, they would have just removed the tactician, which is in itself major. Sure, against V, Haley, and Elan V should have been the target, and that is how it worked out, but shooting Nale could have been a very good idea.

Plus, angling it to hit the mage if the tactician dodges was just brilliant.

Yes, I also said it wasn't stupid to aim for Elan/Nale. That was their target and if it's disabled from the beginning, the target cannot run anymore should the fight take longer.

In a quick-and-surprise situation, there is not much a tactician can do in regard to tactics. But a mage can do a lot in the first two, three rounds. An Obscuring Mist in the first round would be a very, very bad thing for hidden attackers.

While shooting Nale/Elan was a valid move I still think they should have went for the known mage first. Also, makes usually have subpar fortitude saves, which increases the chance it gets failed. Nales fort saves are much harder to estimate from the outside (as his class is more obscured).

Knaight
2010-07-02, 03:00 PM
In a quick-and-surprise situation, there is not much a tactician can do in regard to tactics. But a mage can do a lot in the first two, three rounds. An Obscuring Mist in the first round would be a very, very bad thing for hidden attackers.
Except for the tactician is usually the most level headed person, which means they could at least rally their people and try to keep the situation under control, if the other side is panicking you have a huge advantage. Plus, the casters in OOTS usually don't drop stuff like Obscuring Mist, the only reason V is so dangerous is because (s)he has some nasty evocation spells, the drow is the same case. Plus, mages have an annoying tendency to have defensive stuff up that makes hitting them harder, V has taken steps to make h(im)(er)self immune to arrows before.

Ancalagon
2010-07-02, 03:02 PM
Except for the tactician is usually the most level headed person, which means they could at least rally their people and try to keep the situation under control.

Until he has done that, the Wizard already has cast two Disintegrates and one Firestorm of Utter Death.

Knaight
2010-07-02, 03:09 PM
Oots wizards again. They are squishy, and their protection rarely extends to melee. Enor can swoop down and take them, plus disintegrate isn't as useful when the other people are on a rooftop somewhere without line of sight. In a D&D game where people are playing optimized characters, the wizard is the natural first target. In Oots world, taking out Nale is just about ideal. Sure, the tactics weren't perfect, but they had limited info to work with.

Gift Jeraff
2010-07-02, 03:10 PM
Nale's a spellcaster, too, y'know. Not to mention, the wanted poster says "HIGHLY DANGEROUS! SKILLED WITH SWORD OR MAGIC".

In regards to the thread, I like Gannji and I find his friendship with Enor heartwarming. I think what's preventing me from liking Enor that much is that he feels too much like a Thog Lite, and you can't ever top Thog. :thog:
And if they are Evil, I appreciate the fact that they are nowhere near the majority of the comic's antagonists.

JonestheSpy
2010-07-03, 01:30 AM
I think Roy should hire them to bring in Xykon. See how long it takes before they realize the Pointy/Paid Enough ration is just NOT right.

Ancalagon
2010-07-03, 02:02 AM
Disintegrate = DPS-thingie.

Bongos
2010-07-03, 10:29 PM
I thought so at first as well. The panel wasn't very clear on that. But knowing that Nale is actually their target and it seemed like they could have shot him and as Haley pushed him out of the way... I really think Elan was the intended target for the bolt.
To remove him from the fight but also to prevent the most valuable target to run away if the fight goes bad for his buddies.

It's possible Elan/Nale was the intended target, but the poster also identifies and "unidentified elf wizard". It seems kind of weird that the arrow would miss it's intended target only to hit an even better target. That and the title "neutralize elf" makes me think V was the intended target. But it could have been Nale/Elan.